Closed Thread

Old
10-31-2012, 11:41 PM
Hockeyfriend

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post
Thanks for the clarification.

I heard that he was thinking of going to US College, but cannot go now because he overextended his training camp allowance, and thus is not entitled to go to US?

Did you hear this, and can you confirm this rule?
Did he play any exhibition games? If he did then he must sit out one year for every year he plays in OHL. Exhibition counts towards it. However, understand that the Russia tournament does not.

Not sure on what his intentions were/are, but if he went to camp and went to Russia then assume he wanted to play in OHL this season - and should of ahead of CB.

Old
10-31-2012, 11:44 PM
JSavoire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfriend View Post
1. Valardi cannot be moved. He can complete a full year before being looked at to move. He has to approve the team. At end of second year he has no say.

2. MC looks like he does not want to be in Sudbury anyway. He is not a team player with all the things stated earlier.

3. Leivo - agree. Toronto bosses will want him moved to a better team. We will see.

4. Cull did MC and others a diservice last year by supporting Sgarbossa and Levio with huge amounts of ice. Every situation they were on the ice. Up by 5 goals, down by 5, PP and PK. Many PP's they were on full 2:00 and saw one 5:00 where they Sgarbossa was on for full 5:00 and they were scored on twice?

Cull is doing same thing this year...he is giving PP time to 5-6 guys only and are not developing anyone else. Not sure if this is Cull 100% or management has a say in it - they do with CB.
I'll agree that it was the Sgarbossa show last year although in fairness the guy was actually putting up solid points. How about teams where guys struggle to break 5-8 goals on premium time? Leivo, ditto to a lesser degree but there are enough teams that only play 5-6 guys on the PP and 5-6 guys on PK. Those teams rarely have consistent Draft picks if any.

Old
10-31-2012, 11:51 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSavoire View Post
While I agree with you on Campagna as he just couldn't get out of being 3rd liner for most of the year yet on 2nd PP. As for Baptiste he plays a heck of a lot more and definitely positive ice, and many first line/PP scenarios. Baptiste just won't stop doing his favourite move from Minor Midget which is to come down on the off-wing and shoot far side. His single favourite play and which isn't doing it for him right now. With that type of ice PLUS PP and playing ALL games he should be producing tons. Now I know many aren't happy with Cully's style of play but it can't be worse than Brampton, Mississauga or Belleville's style of play just to name a few. Something will have to change and soon as fans will not want another 'go nowhere big' season.
I saw the Missy and Sudbury game on Sunday, and Missy has less offensive talent then Sudbury, but they play a system, they play solid d, with only 3 solid dmen, have good goaltending. They have forwards that just skate the crap out of the other team, and they create chances and capitalize.

Sudbury already had a tough team with Sefton, Thibodeau, Kantor, Silk, and they then trade for Cull. We need skilled players, who can compete.

Coach Cull goes up against a team like Mississauga, that has minimal forward skill, and he is afraid to play Cummins. Come on. If you go up against Niagara, I can understand, but Missy.

Mark Burgess and Blaine Smith are on 1 page, and Coach Cull on another. This is a major problem.

BS is Mark Burgess' right hand man, and he isnt going anywhere. So only 1 option available.

Old
11-01-2012, 08:39 AM
Hockeyfriend

Quote:
I saw the Missy and Sudbury game on Sunday, and Missy has less offensive talent then Sudbury, but they play a system, they play solid d, with only 3 solid dmen, have good goaltending. They have forwards that just skate the crap out of the other team, and they create chances and capitalize.

Sudbury already had a tough team with Sefton, Thibodeau, Kantor, Silk, and they then trade for Cull. We need skilled players, who can compete.

Coach Cull goes up against a team like Mississauga, that has minimal forward skill, and he is afraid to play Cummins. Come on. If you go up against Niagara, I can understand, but Missy.

Mark Burgess and Blaine Smith are on 1 page, and Coach Cull on another. This is a major problem.

BS is Mark Burgess' right hand man, and he isnt going anywhere. So only 1 option available.
BS (and to some extent MB) assemble the team. Cull is left to play them how he sees fit or at least is should be. We are finding that CB is a BS/MB decision. Length of time on team plays a part in how Cull plays the kids and agree on comments made earlier that every game is a MUST WIN scenario so rookies and the younger kids are left hanging. Like last year, they could be up by 5 goals CUll would still play the Sgarbossa's even more to get more points.

Comments about MC being a 3rd liner last year is not accurate. Kontos and MC were fighting for the 2nd line center position until they pulled the trade to get Schoenmakers (a winger) making MC the clear 2nd line center behind Sgarbossa.

He then received 2nd line minutes. I watched countless times when he was out on ice already playing 5 on 5 and there would be a PP starting and he would stay out there. Let's remember that 4th line received only 6-8 shifts a game so ice had to go somewhere. Let's give 4th line 5 minutes a game for those 6-8 shifts. 55 minutes to the top 3 lines. 18 minutes each available. 3rd line was given about 12-14 minutes while 1st line Sgarbossa took about 25 minutes...leaving about 20 minutes for MC. That is more than enough to develop and no reason to be where he is now.

His rookie season was his best and has not developed since, in fact regressed but Cull still giving him plenty of ice.

Old
11-01-2012, 09:04 AM
djscooter

Quote:
Have you seen Cummins play at the OHL level? I don't think you understand how mediocre he has been. He can't keep up at this level, he'd be better off playing Jr. A in an effort to gain something resembling hockey sense.

As far as Vilardi goes, as far as I know he signed an OHL contract to join the team to go to russia, as so the NCAA prospects are all but gone. I definitly do expect he will be moved to another team in the offseason as a result of being cut vs Connor Burgess.

In another joke, please be sure to read the latest Sudbury Star article http://www.thesudburystar.com/2012/1...oming-together

The author goes out of his way to pat young Burgess on the head about what a good game he had. I guess getting laid out a half dozen times and likely losing 20% of his IQ is a decent game nowadays?

Old
11-01-2012, 09:46 AM
Hockeyfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by djscooter View Post
Have you seen Cummins play at the OHL level? I don't think you understand how mediocre he has been. He can't keep up at this level, he'd be better off playing Jr. A in an effort to gain something resembling hockey sense.

As far as Vilardi goes, as far as I know he signed an OHL contract to join the team to go to russia, as so the NCAA prospects are all but gone. I definitly do expect he will be moved to another team in the offseason as a result of being cut vs Connor Burgess.

In another joke, please be sure to read the latest Sudbury Star article http://www.thesudburystar.com/2012/1...oming-together

The author goes out of his way to pat young Burgess on the head about what a good game he had. I guess getting laid out a half dozen times and likely losing 20% of his IQ is a decent game nowadays?
Talk about propaganda...there must be a push from Wolves brass to their friends at the Sudbury Star to ensure CB is being pused and covering excuses. I certainly have not seen this for other kids over the last few years.

Old
11-01-2012, 11:20 AM
clearwater

Quote:
I don't think you could be further off. McFarland had 0 hockey sense, and would have failed in any organization. Sefton had a huge amount of icetime from the get go and his skating ability has held him back. He's developed into a solid defensive d-man who can clear the crease. Campagna's issue are 100% on him. The kid has a terrible attitude, refuses to pass the puck, and has zero compete in him. I've never seen someone lose battles so consistently.

Baptiste is still only 17 and has shown some sparks, however he does have issues in that he has the skill set but he has issue translating it into success. On the other hand he is the most likely to suffer from the team he was drafted by. Cummins is absolutely horrendous. Have you even watched him play? He has no clue what to do when he is on the ice and simply watches the play. I don't think it's outlandish to say he was the worst player taken in the first round.

Were Mitchell Dempsey, Nick Moutry, David Perklin, Chris Marchese, Grant Webermin, Curtis Crombeen, all failures because of their coaches? No some players don't develop, it's pretty simple.

You are incorrect concerning Dempsey and Moutrey, they are developing just fine. They went to teams that do not give rookies the same opportunities as other teams do. They strictly saw 4th line duties with no PP and PK. Must of the other rookies were seeing 2nd and 3rd line duties with PP time, compare apple to apples. If one of those boy's went to another team that gave the rookies opportunities they would have produced also. With limited opportunities last year they still made the NHL draft list because of their potential and high ceiling. Moutrey has just recently been put on the 2nd line, PP and PK and is producing with 6 points in the last couple of weeks playing the big skilled power forward role and is generating a lot of interest. I watched Dempsey and he also seems to getting more time and playing with more confidence. Leave the scouting to the scouts!

Old
11-01-2012, 05:06 PM
chewerjones

[QUOTE=djscooter;55436589]Have you seen Cummins play at the OHL level? I don't think you understand how mediocre he has been. He can't keep up at this level, he'd be better off playing Jr. A in an effort to gain something resembling hockey sense.

Hey Dj, thats the point, we havent been able to see Cummins play. If Cull would let him play more than 2-3 shifts a game, and with the seniors like Corrado or Sefton, then after 10 games we can make a clear decision on him. But, 5 games into the season, Cull is dressing 5 dmen, and healthy scratch to Cummins.

Thats like slapping BS in the nuts.

Let the kid play, and then we can decide. Just like Pat Quinn used to play all the senior guys and didnt play rookies or youngsters, and we then traded them to other teams, 3-4 years later, without giving them a true chance- Remember the name Brad Boyes. 2 time OHL player of the year.

Old
11-01-2012, 05:21 PM
chewerjones

Mississauga played Zotti on the blue line for a good number of shifts, and he is more of a project than Cummins. James Boyd understands how to develop players. sudbury and Cull dont.

Old
11-05-2012, 09:33 PM
Loosie

Anyone else excited that the awesome Sudbury/North Bay rivalry will be back next year?

Old
11-05-2012, 11:42 PM
djscooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosie View Post
Anyone else excited that the awesome Sudbury/North Bay rivalry will be back next year?
Hard to build a rivalry with a team built around playing one of the most boring styles of hockey I've ever witnessed. Cheers to Butler.

Old
11-08-2012, 09:33 PM
bonefizzle

Quote:

Yes he signed an OHL Contract was fully expecting to make the team and was beyond excited to go to sudbury where there are a ton of Italians. His parents are from Italy, dad played a little bit of Soccer there. As for his NCAA eligibility, I am told that he is trying to appeal or thinking about appealing to get his full eligibility back since he only played in Russia. However, I believe the OHL is his main priority and if he was offered an opportunity to play somewhere next season he would.

Old
11-10-2012, 11:01 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonefizzle View Post
Yes he signed an OHL Contract was fully expecting to make the team and was beyond excited to go to sudbury where there are a ton of Italians. His parents are from Italy, dad played a little bit of Soccer there. As for his NCAA eligibility, I am told that he is trying to appeal or thinking about appealing to get his full eligibility back since he only played in Russia. However, I believe the OHL is his main priority and if he was offered an opportunity to play somewhere next season he would.
You make it sound like the kid just came off the boat??

As usual, Sudbury not handling players the way they should, both from a positive and negative side. IE- Vilardi and Cummins and Burgess.

They draft way too many players from Ottawa area and up north, and I believe that definitely hinders their success. Agents are weary of sending their valuable players to Sudbury given the somewhat disfunctional organization.

Their Head Scout left the team/was let go, because he questioned Sudbury's ability to field a winning team and environment. Trading a 2nd and 4th for a 3rd so that you can draft a player, that would have never been drafted in any of the 15 rounds by any other team????? Then, saving a roster spot for that pick instead of Vilardi??

The owner and mgmt team should thank the Sudbury fans for supporting them, but I guess they support the team, because there is no other attraction/sport in town.

Old
11-11-2012, 03:54 PM
bigred2point0

I think the problem with the wolves this year is goaltending. Vienneau just isnt keeping them in games id like to see more of dupuis too.

Old
11-11-2012, 05:03 PM
chewerjones

Sudbury is in 8th spot in the east and Ottawa is behind them and eventually will kick it into gear. Brampton and Kingston both have games on hand compared to Sudbury.

Sudbury Mgmt believe they can win it all and are planning to make trades to bolster their team for the playoffs.

NEWS FLASH, THEY MAY BE ON THE OUTSIDE LOOKING IN, AND MAY HAVE TO BE SELLERS. HOWEVER, THEY WILL NEVER ACCEPT IT, AND WILL STILL TRY AND BE BUYERS.

The Sudbury Wolves saga continues. LOL

Old
11-11-2012, 05:05 PM
chewerjones

Last year with Sgarbossa, they put their 3 best players on one line. This year, they have them scattered over 3 lines.

Their best line the last couple of weeks has been Kantor, Pancel and Campagna, and today they put Kantor on 3rd line with Huether and Baptiste and Kubalik played with Pancel and Campagna???

Old
11-11-2012, 05:11 PM
wings5

The whole club is in the ruins the ownership group needs to change they need to ship out Sefton, Corrado and try and get a good return. I don't fault the GM he is just taking orders from the "genius'" above him....

Old
11-11-2012, 05:19 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
The whole club is in the ruins the ownership group needs to change they need to ship out Sefton, Corrado and try and get a good return. I don't fault the GM he is just taking orders from the "genius'" above him....
GM hires the coach and selects the players. Sudbury has underachieving players, limiited skilled players, 2 avg dmen. THE MAJOR PROBLEM MUST BE BLAINE SMITH.

You are right, BS is Mark Burgess' right hand man in hockey and business, and he is not going anywhere. So then you have to let Cull go and see if things change, and if not, then you have to accept reality and blow it up. THEY ARE NOT MEMORIAL CUP CONTENDERS FOR THE 3RD YEAR IN A ROW.

Old
11-11-2012, 05:54 PM
wings5

Quote:
GM hires the coach and selects the players. Sudbury has underachieving players, limiited skilled players, 2 avg dmen. THE MAJOR PROBLEM MUST BE BLAINE SMITH.

You are right, BS is Mark Burgess' right hand man in hockey and business, and he is not going anywhere. So then you have to let Cull go and see if things change, and if not, then you have to accept reality and blow it up. THEY ARE NOT MEMORIAL CUP CONTENDERS FOR THE 3RD YEAR IN A ROW.
Even if Cull goes nothing will change, Cull does what he can given the limited talent he has. Cull does everything to make the team win as much as possible however he sacrifices the development of the younger players year by year by making them ride the bench and does a poor job of development. Of course it runs in the organization to not think long term at all....

Old
11-11-2012, 07:28 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Even if Cull goes nothing will change, Cull does what he can given the limited talent he has. Cull does everything to make the team win as much as possible however he sacrifices the development of the younger players year by year by making them ride the bench and does a poor job of development. Of course it runs in the organization to not think long term at all....
Definitely agree. If they would develop their players, then they wouldnt be scrambling every year for capable players.

3 years ago Owen Sound finished 4th last and drafted Maidens. The next year they win the OHL championship with a combination of different aged players, including rookies Gemel Smith and Jarrod Maidens.

This year they are highly ranked and a threat to win it again. They blend draft players with some key acquisitions and make strides. They also secure great goaltending (2 years ago, they had 3 number 1 goalies- binnington, zador and stacjer).

IN CONCLUSION, DEVELOPMENT OF HIGH END DRAFT PICKS AND LOWER ROUND PICKS IN OTHER TIERS (BLANDISI), PLUS GOOD TRADES AND ACQUISITIONS AND YOU HAVE A CONTENDER FOR 3-4 YEARS IN A ROW.

Once these guys leave they may hit rock bottom, but in 2-3 years they will be at the top again. THAT'S PROPER HOCKEY OPERATIONS.

MAIN DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THEM AND SUDBURY, IS THAT OS PICKS AND TRADES FOR BEST AVAILABLE PLAYERS RATHER THAN CONCENTRATING ON NORTHERN BOYS.

Old
11-11-2012, 08:51 PM
wings5

I don't even want to get started with the whole Vilardi/C.Burgess situation. Big suprise guess who was a minus 2 a couple games ago contributing to a loss when he shouldn't even be on OHL ice...

Old
11-12-2012, 09:35 AM
Buddy23

Quote:
I don't even want to get started with the whole Vilardi/C.Burgess situation. Big suprise guess who was a minus 2 a couple games ago contributing to a loss when he shouldn't even be on OHL ice...
After 25 years as a season ticket holder I for one am done! Tired of managements acceptance of mediocre hockey. We haven't had a good hockey team here since Bert's first two years here! Please don't mention 2007 as that was a hot goalie more than anything! you'll recall winning only 2 of our last 10 going into that playoff year! Management here is satisfied to just make the playoffs and hope for a series or two! I look at Barrie from a few years back that mortgaged the farm for a run at the cup and here they are three years later contending again!

Old
11-12-2012, 10:27 AM
Hockeyfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy23 View Post
After 25 years as a season ticket holder I for one am done! Tired of managements acceptance of mediocre hockey. We haven't had a good hockey team here since Bert's first two years here! Please don't mention 2007 as that was a hot goalie more than anything! you'll recall winning only 2 of our last 10 going into that playoff year! Management here is satisfied to just make the playoffs and hope for a series or two! I look at Barrie from a few years back that mortgaged the farm for a run at the cup and here they are three years later contending again!
Agree your comments. I am not a 25 year season ticket holder but became one n 2008 - the year after their run.

Being around the rink, there is kids who don't want to be here and therefore don't play to their potential - management clearly stated that they do not want kids here that don't want to be here. Right there you are getting nothing in return. Also, the kids that are not playing to their potential are "some" of those who are getting a great deal of ice. There are kids who have sat and been given zero opportunity...kids who are scratched for CB and others. The PP is terrible but coach plays same kids all the time.

To be honest I am not sure how this team is run. Even though you could say that it is MB running the show but there is more to it then that. There seems to be too many conflicts at every level within the organization to mention.

It is a shame because I see top end talent (Leivo, for example) looking to be traded and I see the younger kids wanting out because they sit on the sidelines with no opportunity.

The better teams, like Guelph, give their young players ample opportunity to play in every situation. Sudbury does not do this at all and are feeling the affects ot the decision making.

What will it take for them to make the changes needed...don't think it will be this year.

Old
11-12-2012, 11:03 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfriend View Post
Agree your comments. I am not a 25 year season ticket holder but became one n 2008 - the year after their run.

Being around the rink, there is kids who don't want to be here and therefore don't play to their potential - management clearly stated that they do not want kids here that don't want to be here. Right there you are getting nothing in return. Also, the kids that are not playing to their potential are "some" of those who are getting a great deal of ice. There are kids who have sat and been given zero opportunity...kids who are scratched for CB and others. The PP is terrible but coach plays same kids all the time.

To be honest I am not sure how this team is run. Even though you could say that it is MB running the show but there is more to it then that. There seems to be too many conflicts at every level within the organization to mention.

It is a shame because I see top end talent (Leivo, for example) looking to be traded and I see the younger kids wanting out because they sit on the sidelines with no opportunity.

The better teams, like Guelph, give their young players ample opportunity to play in every situation. Sudbury does not do this at all and are feeling the affects ot the decision making.

What will it take for them to make the changes needed...don't think it will be this year.
Bottom line is that the need to get Hockey People in place to run the team. MB needs to stay away, and have his kid go learn and develop on a Jr. B team.

BS was given the job because he is MB's right hand man, and didnt have legitimate hockey experience/mentality.

Cull has to start getting his players to play as a unit and start playing for the team, rather than their own personal gains/agendas.

Leivo , Campagna want out. Vilardi wants out. Sefton isnt smart enough to know whether he should stay or not. Dodero is an OA and has no choice. Corrado has been promised the world, and thus has to stay.

I am tired of complaining about the team, but its not fair for us fans. You look Mississauga and Barrie, and they both sacrificed their futures for cup runs, 2 and 3 years ago, respectively, and here they are on top of the East???

Sudbury seems to be stuck in the middle and providing mediocre hockey.

Old
11-13-2012, 10:28 PM
newyorker

Agree however we keep blaming the boys and who can't play and who doesn't want to play and who is running the team and who isn't. Have we actually sat down to think that it might be the coaching staff? We all know that when these professional players who make millions of dollars aren't playing up to their potential or worth, who is it that they get rid of or blame? Certainly not the players. Maybe it's time to change the coach and see if it really is the players or the coaching staff. How many player changes do you think you can make without getting any results. It's not fair to the boys. Maybe they need to have someone behind the bench who cares enough to get these boys rolling. Someone who can use the talent they have and make it work instead of always making line changes and making excuses. Remember, behind every hard working and winning team is a great coach. (London, Owen Sound, etc...) Can you honestly say that about Cull, what does he bring to the table? Most of these boys want to make it work, I'm sure they didn't leave their families and make all the sacrifices they did just to lose game in and game out. Think about it..

Closed Thread