HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Phoenix LXIV: Will You Still Need Me, Will You Still Read Me, on Thread LXIV?

Closed Thread

Old
11-13-2012, 05:04 PM
aqib

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinalera View Post
Why doesn't Tanger just buy the Yotes then, problem solved!

Oh, wait sorry, batteries died in sarcasm detector....

I must say I'm rather impressed at the Tanger situation, I would say that putting 80 plus stores in an area where there hasn't been a whole lot of success, in the midst of some very trying economic times-either they know something we don't, or they're taking a HUGE gamble that will either make them like geniuses or like......not geniuses.....
Outlet malls are a different animal. They are a draw onto themselves. All they need is cheap land and easy access and they're good to go. People literally turn outlet mall shopping into a day trip by itself. The one thing is for the other stores at Westgate the outlet mall may take away business. Not for the bars and restaurants, but would you go to a FootLocker and pay full price for a pair of sneakers if there is a Reebok/Nike outlet right next door, assuming you aren't one of those that is willing to pay a premium for the latest top of the line stuff

Old
11-13-2012, 05:08 PM
Tinalera

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqib View Post
Outlet malls are a different animal. They are a draw onto themselves. All they need is cheap land and easy access and they're good to go. People literally turn outlet mall shopping into a day trip by itself. The one thing is for the other stores at Westgate the outlet mall may take away business. Not for the bars and restaurants, but would you go to a FootLocker and pay full price for a pair of sneakers if there is a Reebok/Nike outlet right next door, assuming you aren't one of those that is willing to pay a premium for the latest top of the line stuff
Here's my question then-and I honestly don't know the answer-are the demographics that head to an outlet mall the same ones who would pay money for a Yotes game? Or are they two different animals as well?

Old
11-13-2012, 05:13 PM
knorthern knight

vCash: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
No worries about the payment plan for the NHL subsidy over the past two years. The annual sales tax revenues from the new Tanger outlet will cover that over the next couple of decades. I'm pretty sure that was in the long term plans for the Tanger development anyway. It was to generate sales tax to pay for 2 years of subsidies to the NHL.
All other things being equal... yes... but... did you read about Beasley ordering funds shuffled around from other pots to maintain the general fund? Glendale's financial situation is worse than originally thought. In other words, COG is going to have to do major cutbacks EVEN IF THE COYOTES GO AWAY AND THERE'S NO AMF. See CF's post http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=464 for the gory details. See also http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...spent-mil.html

Old
11-13-2012, 05:41 PM
aqib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinalera View Post
Here's my question then-and I honestly don't know the answer-are the demographics that head to an outlet mall the same ones who would pay money for a Yotes game? Or are they two different animals as well?
Outlet mall shoppers are all over the map as far as that goes. Pretty much anyone who is not super wealthy goes if there is one accessible. There was a Brooks Brothers and a Bass shoes outlet like an hour from my house in Cleveland. If you can get a Brooks Brothers suit for $220 and bass shoes for $50, even if you make a lot of money would you really pay $600 for a suit that's one year newer and $100 for dress shoes when you can just drive to an outlet mall.

Old
11-13-2012, 07:23 PM
jimmycrackcorn
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 200
Haven't read any posts in this thread in a month - just checked in today and we have a discussion about shopping malls... Nothing surprises me in this never ending saga anymore.

Old
11-13-2012, 07:54 PM
DancesWithWookies

vCash: 907
I heard from a credible source with inside info that the phoenix coyotes ownership saga will end December 21, 2012. So not long folks!

Old
11-13-2012, 08:19 PM
cbcwpg

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatSaveJesus View Post
I heard from a credible source with inside info that the phoenix coyotes ownership saga will end December 21, 2012. So not long folks!

Actually Joyce Clark says there will be a vote on Nov 27 to approve the lease with Jamison. Depending on what happens that day, nobody can say when this will end.

Old
11-13-2012, 08:21 PM
blues10

Skeete is such a great employee.

Quote:
sonu munshi‏@smunshi

#Glendale city manager: Two out of 4 outstanding issues on Jamison deal are being worked out but I have time to get them done.
Quote:
Skeete:I expect to finalize changes before the end of the week. If I can put it all together, deal goes to council Nov 20 & Nov 27. #Coyotes

Old
11-13-2012, 09:30 PM
Ludwig Fell Down

Quote:
I think you forgot the most likely scenario, based on past history. The COG will approve the lease by majority vote of council, and then there will be a flurry of legal and political activity (including the launch of a referendum campaign to overturn the ordinance). Everything will go into a frozen and confused silence without any obvious movement towards a sale of the franchise or consummation of the lease agreement by actually signing it. The NHL will try to get Glendale to pay even more money to subsidize the management and operation of the arena this season by threatening imminent relocation, and so on, and so on.

Very true Whileee, that was an oversight on my part. For some reason I was thinking that the CoG would learn from past Bills of Goods from the NHL and not reup for another year of losses on the basis of a specious potential owner.

Haven't heard from Balkin in awhile, maybe he is potential owner #5? Clark Rockefeller? Allen Stanford?

Old
11-13-2012, 09:41 PM
Whileee

Quote:
And if we all had a nickel for every time we heard news from an "inside source" about when this saga would end we'd have enough to buy the team ourselves.

Old
11-13-2012, 09:43 PM
Evil Doctor
Army Recruit

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
Actually Joyce Clark says there will be a vote on Nov 27 to approve the lease with Jamison. Depending on what happens that day, nobody can say when this will end.

Old
11-13-2012, 10:06 PM
DancesWithWookies

sigh

Old
11-13-2012, 10:34 PM
AllByDesign
Thomas who?

Quote:
And if we all had a nickel for every time we heard news from an "inside source" about when this saga would end we'd have enough to buy the team ourselves.
Hey, speaking of that... Anyone seen jetsfan88 lately?

Old
11-13-2012, 10:39 PM
objectiveposter

the dec 21 2012 was the end of the world reference and not an actual date...

is there a council meeting today?

Old
11-13-2012, 10:50 PM
DancesWithWookies

Quote:
Originally Posted by objectiveposter View Post

Thank you

Old
11-14-2012, 03:25 AM
OthmarAmmann
Money making machine

Quote:

So what? Even the end of the world would probably fail to resolve this mess in some weird way.

Old
11-14-2012, 07:30 AM
cbcwpg

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas L View Post
So what? Even the end of the world would probably fail to resolve this mess in some weird way.
Even if an infinite number of alternative universes exist.... in every one of them, the Coyotes have been declared BK and have been up for sale for 3 years.

Old
11-14-2012, 08:42 AM
ducks2010
I buy milk in bags

Taxpayer Ken Jones let one of his better rants go last night. The town is looking at contracting out its custodian services to save some money going forward. It would mean 12 custodians making between $11 and $17 per hour would be fired right before the holidays for a savings of a couple of hundred thousand per year. Council hopes the custodians would be hired by the contracting company for $8 to $14 per hour.

Word of the Year
OMNISHAMBLES
http://news.yahoo.com/oxford-chooses...001238665.html

Quote:
http://www.glendaleaz.com/video/

Glendale City Council Meeting - Nov 13, 2012
(40:15)

Taxpayer Ken Jones: This item as its been discussed, is going to layoff more city workers. We used to be known as a friendly and kind town. Layoffs have destroyed that image and it is still going on and it is still being planned. We know that one of your managers, Erik Strunk, has been trying to negotiate a way to privatize our libraries and layoff 57 city workers. We have had enough. When we hurt employees we hurt our city. They live here, they pay taxes here, they pay water bills here, they have families that are attending our schools... yet this council seems to be ready to take an ax and chop off all of them people to save 200 thousand dollars?... and you're up there wanting to give 320 million dollars to the Coyotes manager... a California guy... but you can sure cut up our people. Harvard University came out with a new word for the year. The word is... give me a minute.... "Omnishambles"... "Omnishambles"... Its going to be in the dictionary next year... It means "Gross Mismanagement". Look in the mirror. I hope that you will vote this down.... keep our own employees... and if you have to cut... Cut some of them million dollar salaries that are being paid to the Coyotes instead of giving them all of that money. Thank you.

Old
11-14-2012, 09:49 AM
CasualFan
Tortious Beadicus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducks2010 View Post
I just finished watching the meeting. Half of them literally don't even understand what a budget appropriation is.

Where did you get your City Council? At the Toilet Store?

And Clark is such an imbecile that she sat through the budget discussion without even promoting the fact that the Coyotes exceeded revenue projections by over $1MM.

Anyway, my take away is that it's still a toss up. Knaack is the swing vote as far as bringing items before the current council instead of waiting for the new council to be seated. Who knows what she will do. She certainly doesn't seem to know.

Also, there was no bench ruling in Goldwater v. Glendale. Judge will probably enter ruling before the holiday. It will be interesting to see if he puts any sanctions on Glendale.

Old
11-14-2012, 12:07 PM
powerstuck
User Registered

If CoG gave control of the Coyotes to Ken Jones, the guy would probably have made it the most profitable team in professional sports history.

Old
11-14-2012, 12:29 PM
Evil Doctor
Army Recruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducks2010 View Post
So all the events of the past three and a half years have been boiled down to a single word.

Isn't English a great language?

Old
11-14-2012, 01:01 PM
objectiveposter

Phoenix LXV: OMNISHAMBLES

Old
11-14-2012, 01:15 PM
Tinalera

Quote:
Phoenix LXV: OMNISHAMBLES
This gets my vote!

Well, we'll see what happens Nov 27 I guess, might clear some things up.....maybe.....in some universe....

Old
11-14-2012, 01:18 PM
Tinalera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas L View Post
AH, no, NO. We are NOT going into the hearafter sitting and watching this all play out for the rest of eternity......that's just wrong-I mean I know i haven't been a saint, but that sort of punishment is just too brutal....

Old
11-14-2012, 01:56 PM
Conflicted Habs fan

vCash: 50
It's like watching a 50lb pig free falling down your tallest skyscraper. You already know what's going to happen in the end but you just have to watch to be absolutely certain that those proponents who claim it has wings are certainly wrong

Closed Thread