HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Will there be rule changes again this time around?

Old
11-13-2012, 03:28 AM
Urban Explorer*

vCash: 500
How about this simple rule change?

No lying on the ice to block shots or intercept passes. Make the rule something like 1 skate has to be on the ice at all times while attempting to block shots or passes. Shot blocking is cool and all and is full of heart, but you could still do it while standing or kneeling (with 1 skate on the ice). 2 minute penalty for offense.

I think this rule change would generate a lot of offense and not be too drastic of a change.

Urban Explorer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 03:38 AM
TedenbysFrontTeeth
INFP

Yes, they'll remove the Brodeur rule as Brodeur soon retires. Laughably fitting and well overdue. I hope it happens to allow goaltenders another venue to display their skill.

TedenbysFrontTeeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 05:56 AM
heutZe

1. Enforce the rules they put in place after the last lock-out. Refs have been way too inconsistent on obstruction-penalties the last few years and especially in the playoffs. Call everything!

2. No trapezoid. Players should be allowed to engage the goaltender if he goes behind the net to play the puck. Some limitations of the contact should be in place since goalie-equipment is not made for taking hits, but if goalies play the puck there is a risk to it. If the refs consistently call obstruction fouls we should not experience "dead puck-era" style trap game.

3. Players can't intentionally go down on the ice (block shots, screen, intercept passes etc).

4. Shooting the puck over the glass should be treated the same way as icing.

5. Icing on penalty-kills.

heutZe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 06:08 AM
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3000
The only rules I can think of are the removal of the trapezoid and instigator penalties.

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." -31-
Screw You Rick Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 06:19 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Explorer View Post
How about this simple rule change?

No lying on the ice to block shots or intercept passes. Make the rule something like 1 skate has to be on the ice at all times while attempting to block shots or passes. Shot blocking is cool and all and is full of heart, but you could still do it while standing or kneeling (with 1 skate on the ice). 2 minute penalty for offense.

I think this rule change would generate a lot of offense and not be too drastic of a change.
What logical reason is there to ban dropping down to block a shot?

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 06:27 AM
heutZe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Aki Berg View Post
More clean shots = more offense/scoring...

heutZe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 06:49 AM
Urban Explorer*

Quote:
It isn't obvious? More shots would get through. Less passes would be broken up (ie 2 on 1s). and as a side bonus, less injuries.

Old
11-13-2012, 06:58 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by heutZe View Post
More clean shots = more offense/scoring...
Quote:
It isn't obvious? More shots would get through. Less passes would be broken up (ie 2 on 1s). and as a side bonus, less injuries.
So you guys are okay with artificially inflating offense by penalizing shot-blocking? Why stop there? Let's ban goalies from making glove saves. Imagine how many moar goalz there would be if goalies couldn't use their gloves!

Yay goals!!

Old
11-13-2012, 07:13 AM
Urban Explorer*

Quote:
So you guys are okay with artificially inflating offense by penalizing shot-blocking? Why stop there? Let's ban goalies from making glove saves. Imagine how many moar goalz there would be if goalies couldn't use their gloves!

Yay goals!!
Oh don't be such a drama queen. I never said anything that extreme. Shot blocking would still be allowed you just wouldn't be able to swim on the ice in front of the goalie anymore.

Old
11-13-2012, 07:25 AM
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3000
The top three teams in blocked shots all missed the playoffs, and also seven out of ten missed the playoffs.

Screw You Rick Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 07:32 AM
achtungbaby

Quote:

Yay goals!!
Every penalty artificially inflates offense if you look at it this way. You must really love shot blocking to trivialize this thought like that.

achtungbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 07:36 AM
Krishna

vCash: 50
I don't understand why people want the over the glass rule changed. If it was treated as only an icing, it would slow the game down more.

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 07:39 AM
stug*

New uniforms is a must. Now instead of numbers on the back we will see how much money they all make posted nicely on they backs.

stug* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 07:40 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Oh don't be such a drama queen. I never said anything that extreme. Shot blocking would still be allowed you just wouldn't be able to swim on the ice in front of the goalie anymore.
You haven't given any reason why this perfectly acceptable skill should be suddenly penalized, other than "increase offense", and that's a silly reason to change a rule.

If you want to inflate offense by having more penalties, let's penalize stuff that not a skill - I'd be all aboard for penalizing defensemen who block shots in the crease, as there's no skill involved in standing in front of the net and hoping the puck happens to hit you. It's also less skilled than staying committed to your defensive assignments in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungbaby View Post
Every penalty artificially inflates offense if you look at it this way. You must really love shot blocking to trivialize this thought like that.
No, I just think penalizing a legitimate skill is a really, really bad idea, and sets a precedent for trying to solve problems without actually addressing the issues behind them. Penalizing shot blocking to increase offense would be like me controlling my weight by loosening my belt.

Last edited by Buck Aki Berg: 11-13-2012 at 07:48 AM.
Old
11-13-2012, 08:29 AM
M Gaz
Au revoir Shosanna!

vCash: 50
I don't know why so many people have a problem with shot blocking. Penalizing players for having guts? And I thought this league couldn't become any bigger of a joke...

M Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 09:35 AM
MonsterSurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashtyAttack View Post
I don't know why so many people have a problem with shot blocking. Penalizing players for having guts? And I thought this league couldn't become any bigger of a joke...
+1

A big shot block can really change the tempo of a game too. How about all defensemen have to stay on their knees? More goalsss!!!!!!!

MonsterSurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 09:43 AM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Telling a dman that he can't block shots intentionally is quite extreme.

Not be able to swim in front of the net? What if he goes down to 1 knee? infraction, or no?

You actually want to give a dman a penalty for sliding to block a shot? An actual hockey play?

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 11:06 PM
Urban Explorer*

Quote:
You haven't given any reason why this perfectly acceptable skill should be suddenly penalized, other than "increase offense", and that's a silly reason to change a rule.

If you want to inflate offense by having more penalties, let's penalize stuff that not a skill - I'd be all aboard for penalizing defensemen who block shots in the crease, as there's no skill involved in standing in front of the net and hoping the puck happens to hit you. It's also less skilled than staying committed to your defensive assignments in the first place.
My thought wasn't to increase offense through penalties, it was to increase offense by more shots getting through and more passes finding their mark. Penalties wasn't really even a thought of mine, just a way to make "lying down" blocking shots less of an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
Telling a dman that he can't block shots intentionally is quite extreme.

Not be able to swim in front of the net? What if he goes down to 1 knee? infraction, or no?

You actually want to give a dman a penalty for sliding to block a shot? An actual hockey play?
If you read my first post on the idea (which you obviously didn't) you would of realized that I suggested NO LYING DOWN to block shots. I never said you couldn't block shots. My idea was one skate blade has to be on the ice.

Old
11-14-2012, 04:55 AM
Sean Garrity
They call me Hampus

A lot of you are complaining about rule changes that are completely subjective.

Only call a delay of game if it is clearly intentional? SUBJECTIVE.

Call diving more in game? SUBJECTIVE.

3rd man in to a one-sided altercation? SUBJECTIVE.

People seriously want on rushing forecheckers to blow up a goalie because they play the puck? No one seriously sees the problems in this?

Like a previous poster said, simply enforce the in game rules such as obstruction to be actually called, and also enforce the after game rules such as diving. Enforce what they put in place in the last lockout.

Last edited by Sean Garrity: 11-14-2012 at 05:01 AM.
Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 06:31 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
My thought wasn't to increase offense through penalties, it was to increase offense by more shots getting through and more passes finding their mark. Penalties wasn't really even a thought of mine, just a way to make "lying down" blocking shots less of an option.
That isn't much better - penalizing a skill solely to increase offense (whether the offense is created through power plays or as a function of the rule change) is a very bad idea, and sets a dangerous precedent for offense-increasing rule changes going forward.

Old
11-14-2012, 06:34 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Garrity View Post
A lot of you are complaining about rule changes that are completely subjective.

Only call a delay of game if it is clearly intentional? SUBJECTIVE.

Call diving more in game? SUBJECTIVE.

3rd man in to a one-sided altercation? SUBJECTIVE.
A lot of penalties are subjective - you don't see every hook and hold and interference called, because it's a subjective opinion whether or not the player was sufficiently impeded to warrant a penalty.

Old
11-14-2012, 07:27 AM
tape to tape

Get rid of the loser point.

Most OT are decided within the first 10 minutes.

Have 20 minute 5 on 5 OT. If game is still tied, 1 point for each team.

tape to tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 07:33 AM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

Be rid of the shootout, tie at the end of regulation.

ChipAyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 07:35 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfan2326 View Post
Yes, they'll remove the Brodeur rule as Brodeur soon retires. Laughably fitting and well overdue. I hope it happens to allow goaltenders another venue to display their skill.
'bout time

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 07:43 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
bigger ice-surface is all I would ask for

the game is too fast and the players are too big for the current size. that's why you see so many hits that result in head injuries because the players don't have enough room out there

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote