HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

STICKS - Buying Guide and Advice

Old
11-07-2012, 09:12 PM
ArrogantOwl

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malreg View Post
Any opinions on the Sherwood T90? Or it's replacement, the Nexon 12?

The T90 is going for $130 in my area, and the Nexon 12 is $170.

Looking for something to replace the RS I just broke, but trying to avoid spending over $200.
I hear the N12 is a wonderful buy and the T90 is an awesome workhorse stick, but because my store doesn't carry them I haven't gotten the ability to try one.

ArrogantOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 10:14 PM
Ryan52

just bought an intermediate ak 70 flex. only been able to use it once, but i managed to pick up 4 assists. cant wait to get out to some shinny to play around with it instead of learning as i go in game because i can tell my shot needs some adjusting with it. can sauce the puck like never before though

Ryan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 09:59 PM
RomersWorld

Which stick should I get?

What do you guys think the is best stick for me(stick handling, wrist shot winger)? Price is a concern but not most important...

Easton Mako(2-piece) - $145 - Hall Curve (mid, open)
Warrior Dynasty - $109 - Draper Curve(Mid, open)
Sherwood Nexon N12 - $108 - Kane Curve (mid, closed)
Easton Mako M3 - $101 - Hall Curve (mid, open)
Bauer Nexus 600 - $99 - Backstrom Curve (mid/toe, open)
Miken MV-5 Pro - $80 - Hall Curve basically (mid, open)
Bauer Vapor X4.0 - $79 - Backstrom curve (mid/toe, open)
Warrior Mac-Daddy - $65 - Kovalev curve (heel, open)

All are 85 flex which is the only one I am interested in. I prefer a mid/toe curve the most but I am open to anything. I like the heel the least otherwise it would for sure be the $65 MacDaddy probably. However, I don't hate the curve so I am still considering it.

The two I am most serious about are the Miken MV-5 and the Sherwood Nexon N12. The Miken is saving about $120 from retail price and the Nexon is about $90 off retail price. I hear great things about the Nexon but I wonder about its durability. I also read good things about the Miken and people mentioning that it is good for a $180 stick...so how about the $80 price I am getting it at? Must be great at that price. I have been researching for a while and these look like the best deals.

What do you guys think? What would be your choice for me(stick handling, wrist shots, winger)? I am looking for the best deal/match for my skill set. I prefer to spend less but will spend more if it is a better deal. Or if you know of a great online deal you'd like to share...that'd be great too.

mod can merge this but it would be cool to leave open for a day or two since the forum isn't super active and the deals might expire.

RomersWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 09:11 AM
AIREAYE

The thing about sticks though is that while you might identify yourself as a stickhandler/wrist shot type of guy, the other little things about sticks are too personal. Nobody on here can help you find the 'perfect' stick, or the stick 'for you'. We can try by pointing you in a particular direction though.

I suppose first off since you can grab some of these top-end sticks on discount, might as well take advantage and ignore the pricepoint M3, X 4.0 and Nexus 600. Assuming you're a decent player, you'll be able to notice and benefit from a top-end stick's performance enough to justify any price jump in this case.

If you prefer wristers, I would start by looking into any low-kick sticks, which means that the lower 1/3 or the hosel/blade area loads and releases faster than a mid kick for example. The N12 would fit comfortable in that category imo. The Dynasty, Mako, MV-5 and MacDaddy do not have pronounced low-kicks, they're more traditional if you will.

Don't know too much about the MacDaddy or MV-5, but my impressions have been positive and negative respectively; doesn't mean much though.

The Dynasty is a decent and sturdy stick. Comes in a stock 63" so any flex you order will feel slightly whippier due to the initial length. Reviews have been positive so far, but won't perform to the same degree as any of the other big-name top-end sticks.

You can find a ton of info and feedback on the N12.

I think the 2-piece is your most versatile. You can try different curves and different blade feels by buying different blades. If you don't like the Mako blade, try a Dynasty for example if you want a softer feel or an 11K for a stiffer blade etc.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 09:29 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

It depends on what kind of flex/kick point you like and puck feel. I'm a wrist shot sniper winger and I like a stick with a lot of flex especially up top. Others like very little flex (low kick).

Right off the bat I'd say eliminate the Mako M3, Nexus 600, and Vapor 4.0. Those are mid-level sticks, not bad, but not in the same class. No experience with the Miken.

My two cents on the rest of them:

Mako 2-piece: Pretty standard tapered two piece, not bad at all, that's a pretty good price too. Can't go wrong but won't be the best balanced or necessarily highest performance.

Dynasty: Used this for a year, it's a good stick, nothing extremely remarkable about it. It's a hair blade heavy but not bad. Puck feel is great. Standard mid-low kick.

Nexon N12: Haven't used on ice but it's fairly well balanced and most people love them. Too stiff feeling for my tastes as I believe it's fairly low kick and stiffer through the rest of the shaft.

Mac Daddy: I believe this was the old True-1 Warrior, so similar to the Dolomite but with better balance. These blades are pretty pingy though. For the money it's solid but as a primary stick I'd rather use the Dynasty, Mako, or Nexon.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 02:08 PM
coz21
Skrillllllz

Just went back to one of my older sticks (Vaper XX P91 102) and feel like I've been getting more oomph on my shot and I'm not sure whether it's the flex, the weight, the curve or what. I had been using a KGB Kovalev 85. Any suggestions?

coz21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 02:14 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Damn a Vapor XX is old! That was my first composite stick. Those things looked so awesome with the black carbon fiber and the hologram logo.

The Vapor XX from what I remember was pretty close to a one-piece Warrior that pre-dated the Kronik (like a one-piece Dolomite). Not really made much anymore. They were also really stiff with a fairly low kick point from what I can recall.

I would look at the Vapor APX...different materials and engineering but a much better blade and they are pretty stiff with a somewhat low kick point.

Old
11-13-2012, 11:43 PM
coz21
Skrillllllz

eek. I'm not really in the upper range price wise. Anything closer to $100 range?

coz21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 11:59 PM
elnewby
We got em'!

vCash: 410
You can pick up an Easton Eq 50 for less than $100 bucks here http://www.hockeymonkey.com/easton-h...-clear-sr.html

I used this stick for awhile, I liked it. It's not the most durable, but for some players it's not a huge issue. I don't know what level you play at, so it would be up to you to determine if it is a big deal.

Also, I believe all clearance is 20% off right now at Hockeymonkey.

elnewby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 08:43 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by coz21 View Post
eek. I'm not really in the upper range price wise. Anything closer to $100 range?
Nothing that would match the quality of the Vapor XX. Maybe a clearance Warrior or Easton?

Old
11-26-2012, 03:36 PM
Fury81
Rookie User

So I am 5-11 and 170 lbs forward that has never really had a fast/accurate wrist shot. A friend told me I should try an intermediate stick. I have read that the whippy flex could teach me to shoot better but I am wondering if I am too tall for intermediates. Also wondering if I am too used to senior flex/length (i never cut them down) that the switch would be difficult. Anyone have a similar experience or suggestion?

Fury81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 10:27 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

In case you don't see my other post, give it a shot. If you cut your sticks below your nose in bare feet it will probably feel whippy but that might be a good way to learn to feel the flex. You may want to stick with a low kick stick so it doesn't get too whippy feeling.

Old
11-28-2012, 09:19 PM
BeezyD18

Whats the equivalent of a CCM lie 5.5 to a Bauer/Easton 5.5 or viceversa if i worded that wrong.
And im thinking about getting a ccm with a crazy ovi curve, wondering if should get it. Any1 had any good with it?

Last edited by BeezyD18: 11-28-2012 at 11:57 PM.
BeezyD18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 09:56 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeezyD18 View Post
Whats the equivalent of a CCM lie 5.5 to a Bauer/Easton 5.5?
And im thinking about getting a ccm with a crazy ovi curve, wondering if should get it. Any1 had any good with it?

The Crazy curve is crazy. You really have to limit the follow through and let the curve do all the work. Good luck shooting far side on a quick snap.

Old
12-03-2012, 12:58 AM
IDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan52 View Post
just bought an intermediate ak 70 flex. only been able to use it once, but i managed to pick up 4 assists. cant wait to get out to some shinny to play around with it instead of learning as i go in game because i can tell my shot needs some adjusting with it. can sauce the puck like never before though
enjoy it...love that stick, cant find another one to my specs.. now using the diablo

IDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 06:19 PM
Zippy316

My EQ50 just broke

I got it at a Devils draft party for 50 bucks, and have used it for like 2 years.

I got two questions...

What stick should I get, not looking to drop 200+ plus, but I want a good stick...

And I have this grip on the butt-end that came with the stick that I love, but I can't find it anywhere. It's like a rubber grip but it has like ribs in it but they are pretty close together. Anywhere know where to find it?

Zippy316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 08:05 PM
3koma

hi after reading your thread, it is up side with previous concept, in my city (Hong Kong), no matter what is your wiegh or height, everybody using senior stick if you are adult.We use 100 Flex stick even 5"3 130 lbs.
I am 5"7 84kg and would like to give it a try. but would like to know which flex is better for me.Normally, i will cut down one and half section to make the end butt reach my nose, so 77 or 65, which one good for me?I do know what is the feeling to blend stick before, i can feel the stick has "cracking" sound and the puck fly like hell.I cant which model is, the only thing i can remember it is Easton, 85 flex (Cut 1 and half or 2 section), grip in orange color and it should be after Syerngy silvery color OPS.
i have Bauer XXXX 77 flex, but cant shooting that kind of shot.
I normal slap more that waist.thanks

3koma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 09:26 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post
My EQ50 just broke

I got it at a Devils draft party for 50 bucks, and have used it for like 2 years.

I got two questions...

What stick should I get, not looking to drop 200+ plus, but I want a good stick...

And I have this grip on the butt-end that came with the stick that I love, but I can't find it anywhere. It's like a rubber grip but it has like ribs in it but they are pretty close together. Anywhere know where to find it?
Again, how can we recommend anything to you if we don't know A) the specs on the previous stick or B) your preferences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3koma View Post
hi after reading your thread, it is up side with previous concept, in my city (Hong Kong), no matter what is your wiegh or height, everybody using senior stick if you are adult.We use 100 Flex stick even 5"3 130 lbs.
I am 5"7 84kg and would like to give it a try. but would like to know which flex is better for me.Normally, i will cut down one and half section to make the end butt reach my nose, so 77 or 65, which one good for me?I do know what is the feeling to blend stick before, i can feel the stick has "cracking" sound and the puck fly like hell.I cant which model is, the only thing i can remember it is Easton, 85 flex (Cut 1 and half or 2 section), grip in orange color and it should be after Syerngy silvery color OPS.
Maybe a mid-kick stick like a Bauer Supreme/Nexus or Reebok A.I. A 70 flex Warrior intermediate might work as the DT/Widow/Dynasty line is 60" at INT height iirc.

Old
12-10-2012, 10:15 PM
Splitbtw
Free Torres!

Does anyone know if Reebok replaced the P87 curve with the P87a and if so, is there any major difference between the two?

Someone decided to tomahawk my Ai9 after a whistle and it is no longer in one piece.

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 12:26 AM
AIREAYE

That P87 was discontinued after the 10K line I believe. The AI9 wasn't made in a P87 pattern, only P87A.

Old
12-11-2012, 09:14 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post

Did the grip look like this: Tacki Mac Grips?

If you liked the EQ50, you can find them on clearance a lot of places for close to $100.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3koma View Post
At your height I'd check out an intermediate, around 65-70 flex. The stick shouldn't ever sound like it's cracking though.

I am guessing you had an old Easton ST?

Old
12-11-2012, 10:38 AM
Splitbtw
Free Torres!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
That P87 was discontinued after the 10K line I believe. The AI9 wasn't made in a P87 pattern, only P87A.
My lack of being able to find the curve backs this up, though I can 100% assure you the model I had was just the P87 7 lie. Nonetheless, since it seems I cannot replace that, any real differences between the P87 and P87a? I found it hard to believe the P87 was an actual 7 lie, but whatever it was, I really enjoyed playing with it.

Old
12-11-2012, 10:51 AM
AIREAYE

That's weird, do you have a picture of the label on the stick that says P87 and the curve??

I have the catalog open and I can assure you of that fact previous. The only way I can see it being a P87 on an AI9 would be if it was a retailer's SMU, a manufacturer's sample, or a pro stock stick.

Well I compare the P87 more to a slightly shallower but more open Datsyuk with the curve starting more towards the heel with a slightly higher lie and square toe. The P87A is more of a Hall/P92 equivalent but slightly shallower and more towards the heel than mid compared to those 2.

Old
12-11-2012, 12:04 PM
Splitbtw
Free Torres!

Quote:
That's weird, do you have a picture of the label on the stick that says P87 and the curve??

I have the catalog open and I can assure you of that fact previous. The only way I can see it being a P87 on an AI9 would be if it was a retailer's SMU, a manufacturer's sample, or a pro stock stick.

Well I compare the P87 more to a slightly shallower but more open Datsyuk with the curve starting more towards the heel with a slightly higher lie and square toe. The P87A is more of a Hall/P92 equivalent but slightly shallower and more towards the heel than mid compared to those 2.
Unfortunately, I do not as I left it in the rink's trash. That makes more sense. I picked it up from a buddy who is friends with a pro. It didn't have any pro stock markings so my guess is manufacturer's sample.

I appreciate your breakdown of those two curves. It looks like the P87a will be the closest thing I can get to replace it and will just adjust to the slight differences in the curves.

The bright side (stick wise, not results wise) is the stick broke at the end of our playoff game we lost, so now I will have a month or so to get comfortable again with another stick in my closet. Of course, none of felt quite as right as the AI9, but it'll be fun to go back to the drawing board and re-learn how to use the curves.

The Reebok Ai9 was uncut 85 flex and was about an inch or so longer than what I had been using.
  • TO P88 87 flex (probably the easiest to go back to as it was the most recent and simplest pattern, just with it were slightly more open)
  • TO P08 87 flex (what I am leaning towards as it was fun to stick handle and shoot with, and I will probably add an inch or so to get to the stock length of the Reebok)
  • One95 P91a (Feel and shooting is good, but lack of curve after the heel makes it harder to stick handle with which is what prompted me to try the P08)
  • Buy a replacement blade in the P87a and put it in my X60 shaft (already added and cut off a composite butt end that wouldn't come out so I can't add any length to it which steers me away from this option

Old
12-11-2012, 03:44 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Again, how can we recommend anything to you if we don't know A) the specs on the previous stick or B) your preferences?
Alright, the stick doesn't say anything, it's been sawed off at the top to put on the rubber end piece, but do you by any chance know what kind of blade Arnott uses/used. What would I look for on the stick for more info on what it is, I'm thinking of just buying another EQ50 actually, it'll be easier and cheaper.

Zippy316 is offline   Reply With Quote