HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Luongo Thread: Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For (Mod Warning in OP)

Closed Thread

Old
11-13-2012, 06:46 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineRays View Post
Rick Bowness on team 1040 today talking Canucks.

Sounds like they are really concerned about injuries in a shortened season. Also, talked about Garrisons d partner next season. He said Jasons only comfortable on leftside, so they will leave him there. Will either try Bieksa with him, or move Edler to right side. (I'd assume Tanev would play with Hamhuis). Breaking up one of the best shut down pairings in the NHL is a bad idea IMO (Hammer/Bieksa).

I'm guessing they try to keep Luongo for as long as possible to mitigate any potential goalie injury concerns. I was pretty sure they'd try Garrison on right side, now that doesn't seem a possibility. Gotta think a righty d-man is definitely coming back as a piece in a goalie trade.
Oh no. Oh no no no. No.

#Ballardv2.0

Old
11-13-2012, 06:46 PM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:

Sounds like they are really concerned about injuries in a shortened season. Also, talked about Garrisons d partner next season. He said Jasons only comfortable on leftside, so they will leave him there. Will either try Bieksa with him, or move Edler to right side. (I'd assume Tanev would play with Hamhuis). Breaking up one of the best shut down pairings in the NHL is a bad idea IMO (Hammer/Bieksa).

I'm guessing they try to keep Luongo for as long as possible to mitigate any potential goalie injury concerns. I was pretty sure they'd try Garrison on right side, now that doesn't seem a possibility. Gotta think a righty d-man is definitely coming back as a piece in a goalie trade.
That should jettison Ballard out of town, but breaking up HamJuice is a bad idea. I didn't like it when they did it last year, and I don't like it now.

Old
11-13-2012, 06:51 PM
SunshineRays

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Oh no. Oh no no no. No.

#Ballardv2.0
Lol. I'm wayyyyyy more concerned about the thought of Edler trying to play on the right side. In fact, I'm freaking out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
That should jettison Ballard out of town, but breaking up HamJuice is a bad idea. I didn't like it when they did it last year, and I don't like it now.
Breaking up that pairing is def a bad idea. Though Hamhuis/Tanev was a rockstar pairing last season - not on the ice for a single goal against. More concerned about Bieksa without Hamhuis.

Either way, relying on Edler to play the right side has disaster 2.0 written all over it. They can't rely on that, there has to be a righty coming back in a goalie trade or Ballards traded for a righty.

Old
11-13-2012, 07:01 PM
SunshineRays

Strombone ‏@strombone1

Quote:
Weirdest thing, Jeffrey Loria just called.......
Lol! Oh Lu

Old
11-13-2012, 07:03 PM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:

Breaking up that pairing is def a bad idea. Though Hamhuis/Tanev was a rockstar pairing last season - not on the ice for a single goal against. More concerned about Bieksa without Hamhuis.

Either way, relying on Edler to play the right side has disaster 2.0 written all over it. They can't rely on that, there has to be a righty coming back in a goalie trade or Ballards traded for a righty.
Until the end right? Stoll's OT goal.

I think Hamhuis and Bieksa just make each other so much better it would be detrimental to keep them apart.

Edler should not be playing a position he's never played before. That has disaster as an imminent outcome.

Old
11-13-2012, 07:04 PM
Scurr

Quote:

I'm guessing they try to keep Luongo for as long as possible to mitigate any potential goalie injury concerns. I was pretty sure they'd try Garrison on right side, now that's not a possibility. Gotta think a righty d-man is definitely coming back as a piece in a goalie trade.
He said Garrison is more comfortable on the left side so they are going to start him there. Makes sense to make the new guy comfortable. I think you're overstating exactly what that means going forward.

That said, I really hope they have a plan for this. I called it being a problem when they brought Ballard and Hamhuis in (the Flyers went to the finals with 6 LHD!) they must have learned from that. There is no reason Edler can't play the right side, I just hope they told him the second they signed Garrison if that's what they want to do. Someone as talented as Edler can pull it off pretty easily with some extra work.

Old
11-13-2012, 07:04 PM
Bleach Clean

Trade Raymond and Ballard for an unsigned Subban... One can dream right?

Old
11-13-2012, 07:16 PM
MajorCanuck
Cup Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Brilliant cash dump.

Old
11-13-2012, 07:23 PM
kanuck87

Quote:
I guess someone will trade us their scraps for an unsigned Edler too.

Old
11-13-2012, 07:23 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
You forgot "...and a 3rd round pick".

Old
11-13-2012, 07:35 PM
SunshineRays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
He said Garrison is more comfortable on the left side so they are going to start him there. Makes sense to make the new guy comfortable. I think you're overstating exactly what that means going forward.

That said, I really hope they have a plan for this. I called it being a problem when they brought Ballard and Hamhuis in (the Flyers went to the finals with 6 LHD!) they must have learned from that. There is no reason Edler can't play the right side, I just hope they told him the second they signed Garrison if that's what they want to do. Someone as talented as Edler can pull it off pretty easily with some extra work.
I wasn't trying to portray that he can't play the right side, merely that they aren't using him there "Jason is more comfortable on the left side, and that's where we're planning on putting him".

So, Garrisons going to be playing the left side - who will be playing on his right? I 'assumed' all along he'd be playing the right. Now that's not going to happen, they're going to assume Edler can play the right side? Edler had trouble with defensive responsibilities on the left side. Garrison at least had experience playing on the right. In my mind, it leaves a huge gap on the right side, something they'll probably need to address via trade.

Old
11-13-2012, 07:41 PM
Pseudonymous

I figured this was going to be a bigger problem than most thought. Why does a team go out and get that many LD with high salaries, they must plan on moving edler. I dont see Hamhuis getting traded and i dont see any of Hamhuis Edler or Garrison playing 3rd pairing duties

And if youre going to pay a guy big bucks, playing them on their off side doesn't make much sense. Since when we do just acquire a winger knowing we're going to just throw him on the off wing.

Old
11-13-2012, 07:41 PM
StringerBell

I wouldn't be too concerned with pairing Edler on the right next to Garrison. Edler is primarily used as the offensive defenseman, and playing on the right is often a conducive environment for LH PMD's. I would be far more worried playing the defensive defenseman in a position he's not comfortable in than the offensive guy. Hopefully Edler can take on an Ehrhoff-type role, except with added physicality and stronger defensive play.

Old
11-13-2012, 07:54 PM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

Quote:
Does it change the asking price on Luongo if we take Raymond and Ballard?

Old
11-13-2012, 07:58 PM
StringerBell

No. Ballard is a useful player and will be happily retained if the cap permits it. Raymond is a bit redundant on the left wing, but he's due for a bounce back year after finally being able to train properly and is definitely still a positive value player around the league.

Old
11-13-2012, 08:06 PM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLager View Post
No. Ballard is a useful player and will be happily retained if the cap permits it. Raymond is a bit redundant on the left wing, but he's due for a bounce back year after finally being able to train properly and is definitely still a positive value player around the league.
No worries, it just seemed like some were looking to dump them and i was giving an option.

Old
11-13-2012, 08:22 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLager View Post
I wouldn't be too concerned with pairing Edler on the right next to Garrison. Edler is primarily used as the offensive defenseman, and playing on the right is often a conducive environment for LH PMD's. I would be far more worried playing the defensive defenseman in a position he's not comfortable in than the offensive guy. Hopefully Edler can take on an Ehrhoff-type role, except with added physicality and stronger defensive play.
Agree with this. Much rather try the offensive D-man on the right as opposed to the shutdown guy.

Old
11-13-2012, 08:26 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuck87 View Post
I guess someone will trade us their scraps for an unsigned Edler too.

It's a "dream" scenario. Work with me here...

Or you know, if you want to deal Edler across for Subban, maybe that works better?

Old
11-13-2012, 08:50 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
Agree with this. Much rather try the offensive D-man on the right as opposed to the shutdown guy.
I think Edler could easily emulate Campbell's role from last year on what was a great pairing in Florida with Garrison.

Old
11-13-2012, 10:03 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Edler had trouble with defensive responsibilities on the left side.
IMO that is something he can iron out. A lot of people don't appreciate how difficult it is to switch sides but it's not impossible. I just hope they gave him a heads up so he could work on it this offseason and that they commit to it.

Old
11-13-2012, 10:06 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

After reading that about Garrison for some reason I'm having a feeling in my stomach that we may end up with a top 4 of:

Hamhuis - Tanev
Garrison - Bieksa

and we ship off Edler to get a forward.... which I wouldn't like.

However I'd imagine that Tanev would REALLY need to earn Vancouver's trust before they pulled that off.... or maybe we get back a Dman prospect in a Luongo trade???

Who knows? All I know is I want this Lockout over so we don't have to continue the speculation on how this team will look.

Old
11-13-2012, 10:53 PM
14s incisor

Quote:
It's a "dream" scenario. Work with me here...

Or you know, if you want to deal Edler across for Subban, maybe that works better?
No. Subban is a clown, whereas Edler has shown himself to be nothing but a class act. I'll take Edler's skill set over Subban's, as well.

Old
11-14-2012, 12:17 AM
SunshineRays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
IMO that is something he can iron out. A lot of people don't appreciate how difficult it is to switch sides but it's not impossible. I just hope they gave him a heads up so he could work on it this offseason and that they commit to it.
Ya, I was hoping the same thing. Both him and Garrison are injured and working out together. Hopefully he's been practicing on his offside.

On a side, Frankie Corrado played last night vs. Russia on his offside (left) and looked stellar. Normally plays on his right side, you couldn't even tell - he went seamlessly to the left side and was possibly the best dman that night. Be great if Edler could too.

Old
11-14-2012, 12:20 AM
PG Canuck

vCash: 1512
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14s incisor View Post
No. Subban is a clown, whereas Edler has shown himself to be nothing but a class act. I'll take Edler's skill set over Subban's, as well.
Why is Subban a clown?

Old
11-14-2012, 01:12 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Canuck View Post
Why is Subban a clown?
Tough to dislike a guy that clocked that puke Marchand really good....

Closed Thread