HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Can the Kings repeat?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-13-2012, 07:10 PM
  #51
RANDOMH3RO
Registered User
 
RANDOMH3RO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,192
vCash: 500
The definitely have the best chance to win the cup next season, the cup winner always does. That being said, I wouldn't bet on it. Their post and regular season play will probably meet somewhere in the middle, but I don't think it will all click again like it did. Hardly ever does for one team two years in a row.

RANDOMH3RO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 07:16 PM
  #52
Cage Helmet
Thank you Marty!
 
Cage Helmet's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 185
vCash: 500
I think they do especially with the shortened season. No cup hangover for them.

Cage Helmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 07:18 PM
  #53
Ceremony
Moderator
Transcendence
 
Ceremony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 72,023
vCash: 499
They'll face stiff competition from Season Not Played. They don't show up often but when they do they just DOMINATE.

__________________
ďItís embarrassing. Iím embarrassed to be here right now. Itís not even funny. And itís just embarrassing, the way we, you know, the energy we have in the room and the way we approach practices and the way we approach this game. Itís not how youíre going to win any games in this league." - Jean-Sebastien Giguere, April 8 2013
Ceremony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 07:27 PM
  #54
DatsyukNumberOne*
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 332
vCash: 500
I think so, I predicted they'd win last season.

DatsyukNumberOne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 07:30 PM
  #55
um
Registered User
 
um's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,225
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Standings don't mean strong opponents.


are you really trying to say that vancouver, st.loius, and phoenix are weak opponents.


Last edited by piqued: 11-13-2012 at 07:38 PM. Reason: flaming
um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 07:36 PM
  #56
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,122
vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by um View Post


are you really trying to say that vancouver, st.loius, and phoenix are weak opponents.
Vancouver was missing their lead scorer for most of the series(Daniel) and had their second leading scorer(Kesler) playing with a torn labrum. St. Louis was missing their franchise defenseman(Pietrangelo) and had their starting goalie(Halak) injured as well. They may not have been "weak", but they certainly weren't in top form like the Kings were.

Pick any two of Doughty, Quick, Brown, or Kopitar to be injured and the Kings don't come close to winning it.


Last edited by piqued: 11-13-2012 at 07:38 PM. Reason: qep
Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 07:42 PM
  #57
FinRuutu
Red Wins
 
FinRuutu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Helsinki
Country: Finland
Posts: 4,411
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Vancouver was missing their lead scorer for most of the series(Daniel) and had their second leading scorer(Kesler) playing with a torn labrum. St. Louis was missing their franchise defenseman(Pietrangelo) and had their starting goalie(Halak) injured as well. They may not have been "weak", but they certainly weren't in top form like the Kings were.

Pick any two of Doughty, Quick, Brown, or Kopitar to be injured and the Kings don't come close to winning it.
Could you check your crystal ball again and see if it shows when the lockout ends ?

FinRuutu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 07:42 PM
  #58
zzoo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: Vietnam
Posts: 2,106
vCash: 500
If Detroit, Pitts, Chicago, Boston can't, then L.A. can't neither. I dare to say that their chance is slightly less than 1/30.

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 07:44 PM
  #59
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,122
vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinRuutu View Post
Could you check your crystal ball again and see if it shows when the lockout ends ?
Well, it will be sometime within the next decade.

i.e. you don't need a crystal ball for something obvious to anyone who watched the cup run.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 07:51 PM
  #60
Hammer79
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kelowna
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,959
vCash: 500
Can they repeat? Assuming there is a season, any of the league's 30 teams could qualify for the playoffs, get hot at the right time, go on a run and win the cup.

Will they repeat? I think it's unlikely. Too many things had to go their way (key injuries to top seeded opponents in early rounds, weak draws in the last two) last time to pave the way for an otherwise dark horse team that struggled to even make the playoffs to turn into a cup winner. They won't take anyone by surprise next year and will be hard-pressed to make it past the 1st or 2nd round. They will have a rough time in the regular season too, because other teams will bring their 'A' game against them because playing them will be a 'measuring stick' game. If they play well against the previous cup winner, they know they are in good shape.


Last edited by Hammer79: 11-13-2012 at 07:57 PM.
Hammer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 07:58 PM
  #61
sully1410
Registered User
 
sully1410's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Turner Valley, Alta.
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,126
vCash: 50
They are a very very solid team....so if a team is going to do it, they will.

But Vancouver is this year...so no they won't.

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 08:01 PM
  #62
Moore Money
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,454
vCash: 500
I doubt it. They were an 8th seed ffs.


Last edited by Moore Money: 11-13-2012 at 08:41 PM.
Moore Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 09:27 PM
  #63
Hammer Time
Registered User
 
Hammer Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,542
vCash: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
If Detroit, Pitts, Chicago, Boston can't, then L.A. can't neither. I dare to say that their chance is slightly less than 1/30.
Average team has a 1/30 chance of winning the Cup. So you're saying the Kings are a below average team in the NHL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer79 View Post
Can they repeat? Assuming there is a season, any of the league's 30 teams could qualify for the playoffs, get hot at the right time, go on a run and win the cup.

Will they repeat? I think it's unlikely. Too many things had to go their way (key injuries to top seeded opponents in early rounds, weak draws in the last two) last time to pave the way for an otherwise dark horse team that struggled to even make the playoffs to turn into a cup winner. They won't take anyone by surprise next year and will be hard-pressed to make it past the 1st or 2nd round. They will have a rough time in the regular season too, because other teams will bring their 'A' game against them because playing them will be a 'measuring stick' game. If they play well against the previous cup winner, they know they are in good shape.
On the other hand you have to remember that the Kings beat the Canucks in 5 and swept the Blues. They could have lost a lot more games and still made it through. The way Edler was playing, the Kings were capable of beating a healthy Canucks roster, and even a healthy Blues roster probably means the Kings win that series in 6-7 games. This year's Kings were good enough to win the Cup even without D. Sedin/Pietrangelo/Halak being out.

Hammer Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 09:43 PM
  #64
Garfinkel1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: CT
Posts: 3,439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor View Post
Average team has a 1/30 chance of winning the Cup. So you're saying the Kings are a below average team in the NHL?
actually, an average team has 1/29. Your forgetting how bad the CBJ really are

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 09:49 PM
  #65
Schalkenullvier*
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: tief im westen
Country: Germany
Posts: 4,591
vCash: 500
tiredness is one thing that the kings won't have.

still, you need an insane amount of luck to win the the cup (especially nowadays when parity is there and every tam just tries to block shots instead of playing hockey ).

So it's verrrrry unlikely.

Schalkenullvier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 10:05 PM
  #66
LPH
[hello] :)
 
LPH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Granduland
Country: United States
Posts: 39,304
vCash: 50
short answer- no
long answer- noooooooooooooooo

LPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 10:09 PM
  #67
LPH
[hello] :)
 
LPH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Granduland
Country: United States
Posts: 39,304
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor View Post
On the other hand you have to remember that the Kings beat the Canucks in 5 and swept the Blues. They could have lost a lot more games and still made it through. The way Edler was playing, the Kings were capable of beating a healthy Canucks roster, and even a healthy Blues roster probably means the Kings win that series in 6-7 games. This year's Kings were good enough to win the Cup even without D. Sedin/Pietrangelo/Halak being out.
Although still likely, it's not a sure thing imo. A healthy Canuck roster most likely pushes it to 6/7 games, same with a healthy blues roster. Playing 12-14 games in the first two rounds takes a huge toll on the players

LPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 11:09 PM
  #68
Fishhead
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,066
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
Although still likely, it's not a sure thing imo. A healthy Canuck roster most likely pushes it to 6/7 games, same with a healthy blues roster. Playing 12-14 games in the first two rounds takes a huge toll on the players
Not sure who the Blues were missing that would have kept them from getting swept. Pietrangelo missed a single game, and you could argue Halak wasn't even their best goalie.

Health had nothing to do with the Blues getting swept. They got swept because they were in an unfamiliar spot and were inexperienced, every team goes through that on their way to success. The Kings saw the hesitation in their play and pounced on them.

Fishhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 11:23 PM
  #69
PhillyBluesFan
Registered User
 
PhillyBluesFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,668
vCash: 500
They have a very good chance

PhillyBluesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 11:41 PM
  #70
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?
 
Sojourn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 24,458
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Vancouver was missing their lead scorer for most of the series(Daniel) and had their second leading scorer(Kesler) playing with a torn labrum. St. Louis was missing their franchise defenseman(Pietrangelo) and had their starting goalie(Halak) injured as well. They may not have been "weak", but they certainly weren't in top form like the Kings were.

Pick any two of Doughty, Quick, Brown, or Kopitar to be injured and the Kings don't come close to winning it.
Bingo. Not to mention St. Louis and Phoenix weren't the most experienced playoff teams.

For the record, I never said these teams were weak. I said I felt Boston faced stiffer competition, and simply because the Kings faced teams higher in the standings(in a completely different season) really doesn't dispute that belief.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 11:57 PM
  #71
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!
 
Legionnaire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: LA-LA Land
Country: United States
Posts: 35,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
Although still likely, it's not a sure thing imo. A healthy Canuck roster most likely pushes it to 6/7 games, same with a healthy blues roster. Playing 12-14 games in the first two rounds takes a huge toll on the players
You can keep living in your make-believe world or you can come to grips with the fact that all their absences proved is that the Canucks lack depth. That's all.

__________________
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." - Mark Twain
Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 12:18 AM
  #72
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion
 
Chris Hansen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 10,171
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
You can keep living in your make-believe world or you can come to grips with the fact that all their absences proved is that the Canucks lack depth. That's all.
I hate Vancouver, but any team will look a good deal worse without their best forward. It is not a question of depth, it is a question of something that is extremely obvious.

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 12:35 AM
  #73
Choralone
Registered User
 
Choralone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Burbank, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 930
vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Bingo. Not to mention St. Louis and Phoenix weren't the most experienced playoff teams.

For the record, I never said these teams were weak. I said I felt Boston faced stiffer competition, and simply because the Kings faced teams higher in the standings(in a completely different season) really doesn't dispute that belief.
The Kings soundly beat whomever was in front of them. Don't they get some style points for that?

Choralone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 12:37 AM
  #74
Choralone
Registered User
 
Choralone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Burbank, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 930
vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolChamp View Post
I doubt it. They were an 8th seed ffs.
And 2 points from a 3rd seed, and were a different team after the trade deadline.

Choralone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 12:39 AM
  #75
frankthetank91
Registered User
 
frankthetank91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,763
vCash: 500
Which team that LA eliminated was a worse team then MTL that took Boston to seven? Or a similar Van team that LA took care of in the first round but Boston to seven.

Stiffer competition my ass.

frankthetank91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:14 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.