HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

Dougie Hamilton vs Morgan Rielly

View Poll Results: Who would you take?
Dougie Hamilton 316 64.36%
Morgan Rielly 137 27.90%
too close to call 38 7.74%
Voters: 491. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-14-2012, 12:30 AM
conway902

vCash: 500
Rielly should not be as good as he is basically 2 years behind in development.

conway902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 12:34 AM
Jaykay
Big Gulps huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by conway902 View Post
Whats this size business you guys are going on about, rielly is built like a tank compare to Hamilton. He is 5" shorter but last time I looked at 205lbs they are the same weight.
It's easier to add lbs than inches

Jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 12:35 AM
Minnesota
L'étoile du Nord

vCash: 1527
I'd take Hamilton. Kid's gonna be good.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 12:38 AM
Atomos2
The Center of Hockey

Actually,I'dput Hamilton in the category of a puck-moving defenceman. He definitely has high end skill with the puck all the I don't think he has better hands than Rielly. I Rielly is definitely faster than Hamilton and because of that speed, I'd say he is more of a game breaker than Hamilton is. But Hamilton will prolly be the better overall player.

One person made the reference Karlsson vs Chara, Hamilton's isnt nearly as physical as Chara is, but I'd say in terms of reach, shot and overall play, its a fair comparison "in terms of prospects and potential"

Last edited by spiny norman: 11-14-2012 at 12:37 PM. Reason: qdp
Atomos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 12:39 AM
wKetch22
Pure Grime

vCash: 191
Quote:
Whats this size business you guys are going on about, rielly is built like a tank compare to Hamilton. He is 5" shorter but last time I looked at 205lbs they are the same weight.
Quote:
Rielly should not be as good as he is basically 2 years behind in development.
Tyler Myers barely weighs more than Dougie, do you think Rielly has a better frame than Myers too? Elite prospects has him at over 20 pounds more than Rielly.

Personally I think 6'4", 216lbs and growing is better than 6'0" and 194. Also way to exaggerate and say they are the same weight. Not even close. On a lean frame like Hamilton's 10 pounds is huge

Dougie, in the year after his draft put up 72 points in 50 games. If you want to compare it year by year, good luck beating that

wKetch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 12:45 AM
Atomos2
The Center of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by wKetch22 View Post
Tyler Myers barely weighs more than Dougie, do you think Rielly has a better frame than Myers too? Elite prospects has him at over 20 pounds more than Rielly.

Personally I think 6'4", 216lbs and growing is better than 6'0" and 194. Also way to exaggerate and say they are the same weight. Not even close. On a lean frame like Hamilton's 10 pounds is huge

Dougie, in the year after his draft put up 72 points in 50 games. If you want to compare it year by year, good luck beating that
Ryan Strome and Rielly had pretty good chemistry in the canada/russia challenge. I know it was only a few games, but if they could build chemistry in that short amount of time, and what Rielly has been able to do with Fioretti in moose jaw, it's not that big of a stretch to think he wouldn't do that with the present OHL points leader

Atomos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 12:48 AM
Whydidijoin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Actually the conversation was quite civil, no fanbase bashing at all. And just because someone thinks Hamilton is better defensively doesn't mean they're basing it solely on his height. Is there any reason in particular why you think Rielly is better?
I see no other reasons given for why people think Hamilton is better defensively.

I have seen both quite a bit now, and that is what I am basing my decision on. I think Rielly surpasses Hamilton in ability to create plays. I often find myself saying "Oh, he got an assist" when watching Hamilton. I often find myself saying "Oh, he didn't get an assist?" when watching Rielly. I think Hamilton is more the type of player that racks up points, somewhat behind the scenes. He gets a hell of a lot of them, I give him that, but I see Rielly as the type that actually makes things happen from nothing (and this season especially, to no avail). Rielly's team has gone 1-4-4 or something in the last 9, and Rielly is still the best player out there on either team most nights.

As for defensively, I don't see what makes one better than the other. I have probably seen more good defensive plays out of Hamilton, but I have also seen a lot more bone-headed plays out of him too. He also has gone on these good and bad stretches a lot, while I believe Rielly has been more consistent (in play, not necessarily in points). Meanwhile, Rielly is on a far worse team.

Yeah, Hamilton has height on Rielly, but it's not like he uses it to his advantage or anything, at least physically. In fact, the way it looks now, Rielly is going to be the bigger, more physically imposing player once they reach the NHL. He's a gym-rat.

And the usual consensus around here is that the one who can make plays, the one who does the quiet-steady thing in the defensive zone, the one who is a gym-rat, the one that is faster, and the one that hit that level one year sooner is the better choice. Except when it's a Leaf.

Whydidijoin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 12:55 AM
Whydidijoin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos2 View Post
One person made the reference Karlsson vs Chara, Hamilton's isnt nearly as physical as Chara is, but I'd say in terms of reach, shot and overall play, its a fair comparison "in terms of prospects and potential"
Somewhat reasonable comparison.

Thing is, a big part of the reason Chara is so good is because of his physicality and his record-setting shot. Without that, which is probably Hamilton's top potential, how good is he?

Whydidijoin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 01:11 AM
conway902

Quote:
Originally Posted by wKetch22 View Post

Ohl and whl have them both listed at 205lbs.

conway902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 01:19 AM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

I don't think it's fair to compare Rielly vs Hamilton. If there wasn't a lockout happening right now there is no doubt that Hamilton would be playing right now for the Boston Bruins and he's done all he can in the OHL. As for Rielly he just one more regular reason game then he did all of last year in the WHL, however he's going to be great when he makes the Toronto Maple Leafs. So the way I see both teams got two young great prospect Defensman and both fan bases should be very happy.

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 06:31 AM
Kulemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
Dougie is five inches taller, far ahead defensively and it's a virtual toss up offensively. I'm very comfortable taking Hamilton over any defensive prospect in the world.
If you think Hamilton and Rielly is a toss up offensively.... You're doing it wrong. Maybe in stats but if you watch them play its really a no brainer.

Hamilton's hockey IQ has always been very questionable for me. It's really noticeable in the defensive zone. I voted Rielly (although I read the OP first so I probably shouldn't have voted) because of his offensive ability, skating, vision, talent, and hockey IQ.

Kulemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 06:45 AM
Caballo Blanco
2014 Conn Smythe

Hamilton, not close at all.

Caballo Blanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 06:52 AM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caballo Blanco View Post
Hamilton, not close at all.
No need for an explanation when we have bias.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 06:53 AM
ottawa*
go habs go

vCash: 50
At the moment Hamilton seems a safer bet and we've seen what the kid can do too so its gotta be him

ottawa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 06:59 AM
dubey
The Best (per IIHF)

Rielly ainec

dubey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 07:07 AM
Buckets and Gloves
10 AVE FREEZE OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
Dougie is five inches taller, far ahead defensively and it's a virtual toss up offensively. I'm very comfortable taking Hamilton over any defensive prospect in the world.

I will take it a step further... I wouldn't trade Hamilton for any current NHL prospect in the world.

Kid is going to be a stud, crazy work ethic and really smart.... not worried at all about this kid "busting"... Maybe he won't be the next Chara, but he will be at worse a top 4 defenseman, at best a franchise D.

Buckets and Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 07:16 AM

Easily Hamilton, Reilly is great aswell.

1972 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 07:25 AM
Sundinisagod
the best

I will bet that in 5 years from now, even 10...there will be no consensus on which is superior. It will be like comparing a Pietrangelo to Karlsson. I do think Rielly will put up more points, while Hamilton will offer a greater 2-way presence.

Did not vote as per OP, but would have voted to close to call.

Sundinisagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 07:28 AM
theboss

Hamilton AINEC

theboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 07:38 AM
gifted88
Dante the poet

I like Rielly's hockey IQ but not sure if that is enough for me to pick him over Hamilton.

Voted too close, probably leaning towards Dougie though.

gifted88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 08:08 AM
drmagg

Morgan Rielly. Im from Montreal, so you can trust my "credibility".

drmagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 08:45 AM
Beleafer4

Put on my homer goggles and voted rielly! Tbh tho we should make a thread like this after WJC. Not a lot of people on these boards actively follow both.

Beleafer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 09:30 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Hamilton has never struck me as this amazin prospects in the games I've seen him play while reilly has. But still, height and defensive acumen (and his 'how did that puck get to the net' thing he does, makes me vote for dawgy...

I am worried a but about his lack of pronger-ness 'bu I'm sure that as soon as he joins the bruins, he'll become rougher.

That said: rielly is very, very good...

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 09:37 AM
Kulemon

EDIT: ahh! Messed up the quote but whatever

I voted before I read the OP. Also, to be honest, 90% of the people that voted Dougie I doubt have seen more than 3-5 games from him. Seeing these "wouldn't trade him for any NHL prospect" or those Chara comparisons, it's all just brutal. Not to mention people are saying they are equal in terms of offense... It's like... Do they even watch the games?

I thought someone else in this thread described it perfectly. When watching Dougie in a game you often think "Wow, he got an assist on that?" And when watching Rielly it is more "Wow, how did he not get an assist on that?" because Rielly is usually creating all these opportunities. Rielly is everything for Moose Jaw. He created most of their scoring opportunities and controls the game. He has no one good on his team either, while Dougie (I've said this months and months back) is more of a complimentary guy. He doesn't control the game and create the pure offensive chances that Morgan Rielly does. That's not a ba thing at all. It's just an observation.

I break it down like this:

Reilly's advantages:

Speed
Agility
Passing
Vision
Hockey IQ
Puck Skills

Then we have Dougie's advantages:

Size
Strength
Physicality
Shot

So it comes down to what you prefer. I happen to love smart and dynamic players. So I'll always lean towards the smarter guy with a terrific skillset.

Kulemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 09:53 AM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Meh, these threads are always the same. Bunch of good posters from both sides and a bunch of immature childish posters (you know who you are).

10 games in Toronto fans were pumping up Rielly "leading defensmen in points" and now that Hamilton is ahead its "because hes on a better team." Just interesting how that works. 10 games from now Rielly could be leading and itll be the same thing. If everyone hasn't noticed by now, theyll likely finish pretty close points wise.

This is fruitless tho, people from Toronto assume no Boston poster has ever seen Dougie play because we're from Boston, and just read all the hype, and when thats the case no one takes anyones opinions seriously. I cant speak for anyone else, but I've seen Dougie plenty of times, and youd be blind to think Dougie doesnt have franchise defensman potential.

Who do I take? Its a matter of personal preference and who has a better chance at reaching their potential, because I think they have the same ceiling (franchise defensmen).

Tim Vezina Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote