HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thread (V): Argos embarass Eskimos; Changes need to be made. Nichols seriously hurt.

Closed Thread

Old
11-13-2012, 12:56 PM
AJGass4

vCash: 500
Kavis Reed is a good preacher, I think that should be his next job.

As for football sense, I've come to the conclusion he has none. I don't want guys leaving and if the CEO had any brains, he'd be calling the cornerstones of this franchise in and find out what really happened in that dressing room.

I am afraid that this season is definitely going to decide the fate of this organization for a long time.

Kavis is unwilling to admit his part in the gong show and when that happens, you arei in big trouble.

Why is it that we, as Edmonton fans, have to put up with such BS year in and year out. How can two franchises that were once so great become what we have become. I was embarrassed as an Eskimo fan this season and that disgusts me.

Old
11-13-2012, 02:36 PM
Hockey Nightmare
Ex-hockey fan

I don't get how things work in this city with all this talk about Reed being a candidate for GM. Does losing=success now? Does failure=promotion? Is this the Eskimo way?

Old
11-13-2012, 02:51 PM
MoneyGuy

Reed will not be the GM. I love Kavis, but after this season I think he should be canned. He shows a general lack of awareness, he fails to adequately prepare this team and that shows in all the penalties such offside and time-count violations, a kick returner who isn't aware of what he should do on a missed field goal and general confusion. Oh yes, there was the time our kickers didn't know who was supposed to be on the field. He refused to fire an incompetent offensive co-ordinator. He has this perplexing love for Joseph. With questionable personnel decisions and on-field errors, I think it's time. This team needs a shakeup from the top down. I doubt we'll see it, however.

Old
11-13-2012, 02:56 PM
Gord
Tesla

vCash: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Anybody else worried that Sheritt is on record in the papers as not knowing where he'll be playing next year?

This is not a "I want to be here" comment its a considering any and all options comment.

The real exodus is happening starting right now.

I wonder who's going to be on this squad by next season.
I can totally see an exodus happening. with the gong show in management and the coaching, all the players would be stupid not to look at all their options. especially when their status was ignored for an entire season.

Old
11-13-2012, 03:03 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Reed will not be the GM. I love Kavis, but after this season I think he should be canned. He shows a general lack of awareness, he fails to adequately prepare this team and that shows in all the penalties such offside and time-count violations, a kick returner who isn't aware of what he should do on a missed field goal and general confusion. Oh yes, there was the time our kickers didn't know who was supposed to be on the field. He refused to fire an incompetent offensive co-ordinator. He has this perplexing love for Joseph. With questionable personnel decisions and on-field errors, I think it's time. This team needs a shakeup from the top down. I doubt we'll see it, however.

Good post. I really like Reed as well. As a man, as an intelligent speaker and thinker, and as an Eskimo through and through. But as a coach he has been a disaster based on all those things you've mentioned and so many more. People need to disassociate the beloved man from the performance and ability to do the job. I'd love nothing better than to give someone like him the benefit of the doubt and assume he was just "learning" to be a better head coach. But the things that were done this year do not appear to be lack of experience things. They are decisions that should be made by even a guy in his first few games of the year, and other mistakes that should never be made in the first place.

Another thing. His apparent arrogance during interviews is starting to rub me the wrong way. Same type of feeling I had when the media started to question Danny Maciocia, and Maciocia treated them like dummies and insinuated he knew everything and did nothing wrong.

Old
11-13-2012, 03:04 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
I can totally see an exodus happening. with the gong show in management and the coaching, all the players would be stupid not to look at all their options. especially when their status was ignored for an entire season.
I'll tell you this. If I'm Hugh Charles, I'm definitely looking to see if someone else can use me as their starter if Reed comes back.

Old
11-13-2012, 03:38 PM
Halibut

Quote:
Yup. Loved this little quote from Mckinnon's article in the Journal today.

"He lauded the mentorship and professionalism of Kerry Joseph — “From a franchise perspective, we value what Kerry is about.”

And Reed said “no one has written off Steven (Jyles),” the journeyman pivot the club received, along with kicker Grant Shaw and a draft pick, in the Ray trade."

Sounds like he's ready to go with the same 3 QB's next season, just the guy I want as GM.

Old
11-13-2012, 04:34 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post

"He lauded the mentorship and professionalism of Kerry Joseph — “From a franchise perspective, we value what Kerry is about.”

And Reed said “no one has written off Steven (Jyles),” the journeyman pivot the club received, along with kicker Grant Shaw and a draft pick, in the Ray trade."

Sounds like he's ready to go with the same 3 QB's next season, just the guy I want as GM.
That would franchise suicide. Their season ticket sales would plummet. They aren't that stupid, are they?

It seems they are set on keeping Reed around(which means Joseph returns too, yay). Heck the media keeps calling him a GM candidate, so they're obviously hearing that from somewhere, and it sure isn't the fans. Maybe the Eskies really are just that stupid.

How far we've fallen since Hugh left. We used to be the premier franchise in the league. The team all FAs wanted to play for. Now we have to worry about keeping our existing players. These are sad days for Edmonton sports fans.

Old
11-13-2012, 04:36 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 69
No worries. Just boycott the team until Reed is gone. They will get the message.

Old
11-13-2012, 04:47 PM
ales83fan

Yeah I'm done here

Old
11-13-2012, 05:24 PM
abootzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
It's not inconceivable that a solid GM hire could go a long way towards putting an end to the so-called gong show. As ugly as things were this season, the team still managed to win 7 games. That fact, the team's unmatched training facility and the head coach's appealing (to players) personality could lessen the exodus you speak of.

Old
11-13-2012, 05:42 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by abootzky View Post
It's not inconceivable that a solid GM hire could go a long way towards putting an end to the so-called gong show. As ugly as things were this season, the team still managed to win 7 games. That fact, the team's unmatched training facility and the head coach's appealing (to players) personality could lessen the exodus you speak of.
I can't see how Reed is so appealing to players especially new comers that would have to prove themselves.

Old
11-13-2012, 06:01 PM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post

Don't discount the possibility that Joseph may be back - as a coach. Kavis thinks the world of Joseph as a mentor and a strong influence in the room, and given lack of recent success on the field, it seems to me that there may be a coaching job for him.

Regarding your last comment, we will not go with the same three QBs. It's almost 100% certain that Jyles is not back. Kavis loves Joseph and Joseph and Jyles dislike each other. Joseph will probably return as a player and you can expect at least two newcomers, possibly a free-agent player from another team and perhaps a couple of those neg-listed QBs whose names Tillman revealed. Dixon and Gauthier are the most likely to sign here.

Old
11-13-2012, 06:30 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

lol Joseph wants to come back. Go home Kerry. Knowing the Eskimos they'll bring him back and name him the starter in camp.

Old
11-13-2012, 06:32 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Don't discount the possibility that Joseph may be back - as a coach. Kavis thinks the world of Joseph as a mentor and a strong influence in the room, and given lack of recent success on the field, it seems to me that there may be a coaching job for him.

Regarding your last comment, we will not go with the same three QBs. It's almost 100% certain that Jyles is not back. Kavis loves Joseph and Joseph and Jyles dislike each other. Joseph will probably return as a player and you can expect at least two newcomers, possibly a free-agent player from another team and perhaps a couple of those neg-listed QBs whose names Tillman revealed. Dixon and Gauthier are the most likely to sign here.
"Age is just a number. I'm in the best shape of my life." - quote from Joseph yesterday.

He wants to play and he's delusional.

Old
11-13-2012, 06:41 PM
Doppler Drift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
"Age is just a number. I'm in the best shape of my life." - quote from Joseph yesterday.

He wants to play and he's delusional.
If Joseph is back.......

Old
11-13-2012, 06:46 PM
Tyrolean

Quote:

Maybe we will get a Canadian QB lol. Seriously if one were up to CFL capability I'd look into it Maybe Quinton or Maurer again.

Last edited by Tyrolean: 11-14-2012 at 12:05 AM.
Old
11-13-2012, 10:18 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Ones View Post
I don't get how things work in this city with all this talk about Reed being a candidate for GM. Does losing=success now? Does failure=promotion? Is this the Eskimo way?
Where have you been for the last ten years? Failure has meant promotion for both the Eskimos and Oilers for a long time now.

Maciocia: Horrible OC, promoted to HC. Horrible HC, promoted to GM. Horrible GM, promoted to President.

Reed: Horrible HC, speculated as candidate to be GM.

Lowe: Failed as a GM, promoted to President.

MacT: Falied as a coach, brought back in senior management role after hiatus.

Buchberger: Despised by all players on farm team, promoted to NHL team.

Old
11-14-2012, 12:07 AM
Tyrolean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
Where have you been for the last ten years? Failure has meant promotion for both the Eskimos and Oilers for a long time now.

Maciocia: Horrible OC, promoted to HC. Horrible HC, promoted to GM. Horrible GM, promoted to President.

Reed: Horrible HC, speculated as candidate to be GM.

Lowe: Failed as a GM, promoted to President.

MacT: Falied as a coach, brought back in senior management role after hiatus.

Buchberger: Despised by all players on farm team, promoted to NHL team.
Sadly Ol' Boys club is alive and well in the city of losers.

Old
11-14-2012, 02:34 AM
Daneo21

In all honesty I would take Joseph back in a heartbeat... just not as a QB! If Joseph came in as a QB coach next year I would not be disappointed, say what you want but the dude has paid his time in the league and is more qualified than Crandall... but hey isn't everyone here more qualified than Crandall?

I'm looking forward to this offseason... should be lots of changes for the better (hopefully?)

To the poster who was concerned about Sherritt's comment, the reason he said he isnt sure where he is playing next year is because he isn't signed yet (Thanks Tillman)... and no one knows whats going to happen until a new GM comes in and starts resigning guys

^ Which leads me to the next point (or rant) that Tillman has in a way screwed us... 14 FA's! 14! And most are on defence... my goodness the new GM has got his work cut out for him

I am also unsure about Reed, I like the guy and the new info revealing he was taking the responsibility of some of Tillman's duties has me wondering if that played a big role in some of the lack of communication on the team, as in he just had way too much going on... But then im also concerned at some of his coaching decisions (i.e. starting Joseph over Nichols last week)

So many ?'s going forward, hopefully we can get this **** fest sorted out soon...

Old
11-14-2012, 09:12 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daneo21 View Post
In all honesty I would take Joseph back in a heartbeat... just not as a QB! If Joseph came in as a QB coach next year I would not be disappointed, say what you want but the dude has paid his time in the league and is more qualified than Crandall... but hey isn't everyone here more qualified than Crandall?

I'm looking forward to this offseason... should be lots of changes for the better (hopefully?)

To the poster who was concerned about Sherritt's comment, the reason he said he isnt sure where he is playing next year is because he isn't signed yet (Thanks Tillman)... and no one knows whats going to happen until a new GM comes in and starts resigning guys

^ Which leads me to the next point (or rant) that Tillman has in a way screwed us... 14 FA's! 14! And most are on defence... my goodness the new GM has got his work cut out for him

I am also unsure about Reed, I like the guy and the new info revealing he was taking the responsibility of some of Tillman's duties has me wondering if that played a big role in some of the lack of communication on the team, as in he just had way too much going on... But then im also concerned at some of his coaching decisions (i.e. starting Joseph over Nichols last week)

So many ?'s going forward, hopefully we can get this **** fest sorted out soon...
Why is Joseph more qualified then Crandell?

Maybe he is maybe he isn't, but it wouldn't be the first time a player sucked at being a coach.

Old
11-14-2012, 11:43 AM
Stoneman89

I too thought about Joseph coming back to audition for a coaching job, perhaps as QB coach. I would be mildly comfortable in that, but I never want to see a pair of cleats on his feet in this city again. If Jyles comes back, I am done with this team until he's gone, and the idiot's that brought him back are gone.

As for the the future GM having his work cut out for him signing all our FA's, I doubt he'll have a lot to do with that, unless they sign someone rather soon. I think Hervey and Jones get in there and do the dirty work, and sign as many as they want and can, and then the new guy comes in a cleans up. No way they can let guys twist in the wind while they search for a new GM.

I really want them to go after someone like the FA QB Reilly from B.C. I would love to see him and Nichols duke it out in training camp. We haven't had a couple young talented QB's having an internal competition for a long time.

Old
11-14-2012, 11:55 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
I too thought about Joseph coming back to audition for a coaching job, perhaps as QB coach. I would be mildly comfortable in that, but I never want to see a pair of cleats on his feet in this city again. If Jyles comes back, I am done with this team until he's gone, and the idiot's that brought him back are gone.

As for the the future GM having his work cut out for him signing all our FA's, I doubt he'll have a lot to do with that, unless they sign someone rather soon. I think Hervey and Jones get in there and do the dirty work, and sign as many as they want and can, and then the new guy comes in a cleans up. No way they can let guys twist in the wind while they search for a new GM.

I really want them to go after someone like the FA QB Reilly from B.C. I would love to see him and Nichols duke it out in training camp. We haven't had a couple young talented QB's having an internal competition for a long time.
I wonder if Dixon is still someone we have a good chance to sign this off-season, or now that Tillman is gone so is Dixon.

Old
11-14-2012, 12:02 PM
Gord
Tesla

vCash: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by abootzky View Post
I think the head coach's personalirty ISN'T appealing to players, and is part of the problem.
also, the facilities won't factor in as much if the organization is run like a joke, and if you can't trust the fact you'll be able to play instead of sitting on the sidelines because Reed is playing his favorites.
the 7-11 record is despite the GM and coach, not becauase anything tillman and reed did.

there are some excellent players on the team. they are just often used poorly.

JC sherritt is a good example. Reed kept him in a game to get a personal achievement to the detriment of the team.
Joeseph is another. playing his buddy, watchiung him fail, and leaving him in the game time after time. This despite the fact there is a more capable player in Nicholls whom the players were pumped to play alongside.

I don't buy Reed's condescending comment about Joseph getting played because Reed is paid to win. The esks might have done better than 2-8 if they indeed played nicholls instead and gave him the valuable playing time that would have paid off at the end of the year.
sorry dude, I think Reed is more of a negative to these players instead of a selling point. Using reed to sell the players on the team would be a big mistake. I just hope the esks get a decent GM and lets him get to work ASAP, be it Ed Hervey or whomever.

Old
11-14-2012, 12:30 PM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I wonder if Dixon is still someone we have a good chance to sign this off-season, or now that Tillman is gone so is Dixon.
Of all of the neg-listed QBs, Dixon is one of the most likely to sign here for next season. The other is Gauthier.

Closed Thread