HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

I don't think Radulov is that good

Old
11-14-2012, 02:10 AM
Bure

vCash: 500
Lol nothing like another bash on a Russian player thread for no reason.

Radulov is a heck of a player. 1st liner for sure.

Bure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 02:12 AM
Le Golie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
He's better than half the players on the Canadian national team. Always fun to see Canuckers bash whatever Russian comes along.
At what? Hockey?

Le Golie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 02:15 AM
Machinehead
ActingLikeAStempniak

He's not even man enough to compete at the highest level. No skillset can replace a set of balls.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 02:20 AM
Bure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
He's not even man enough to compete at the highest level. No skillset can replace a set of balls.
Source? Not everyone prefers the almighty NHL. How dare he choose a league that pays him better , situated in a place where he is a lot more comfortable. If those 2 things make someone have no balls then I'd have none either.

Grow up.

Bure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 02:24 AM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
I think it's the other way around. He came back, lead his team in playoff points despite playing with a torn meniscus and having to adapt back to a different league and got singlehandedly scapegoated for all his peewee teammates crapping themselves against Phoenix. That series pretty much proved to anyone paying attention that you don't need a shred of balls to be worshipped in the NHL as long as the media builds you up, since the fans just lap it up (case in point puck"genius" rewatching the intermission from game 3 just now and running to post his "observations" as if he just discovered cold fusion). Went back to where he doesn't get crapped on for being Russian and is dominating NHLers and KHLers alike.

Last edited by Halpysback: 11-14-2012 at 02:32 AM.
Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 02:27 AM
Fantomas

An excellent player. But culturally a bad fit in North America.

A terrific national team player for Russia.

Fantomas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 02:54 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Based in what is he a 70 point first lined?
The fact he had ~60 in his sophomore season, and has only improved since then to be well over a PPG in the KHL and even when he came back to the NHL briefly he produced well. He's certainly not an elite player. He's a very one dimensional, head case, but he's still a guy that can score at a very impressive rate

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 04:03 AM
Brave Sir Robin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
The fact he had ~60 in his sophomore season, and has only improved since then to be well over a PPG in the KHL and even when he came back to the NHL briefly he produced well. He's certainly not an elite player. He's a very one dimensional, head case, but he's still a guy that can score at a very impressive rate
He is not one-dimensional. Just the opposite, offensively Radulov is a complete player. Defensively he lazy, but still not as useless as people make him out to be.

Brave Sir Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 04:11 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Is he even relevant anymore? He's sure not coming back to the NHL any time soon.

11-14-2012, 04:20 AM
Carolinas Identity
I'm a bad troll

Him and Semin get dumped on a lot and while some if it has merit, a lot of it is just Russian bias from an uniformed base of people (mostly Canadian)

Rick Nash pulled a Dwight Howard, ****** move on the Blue Jackets and held his team hostage and threw them under the bus. But because he's a "Good Brampton Kid" no one cares. Although, being Canadian means Nash has "intangibles" which we all know amount for everything and anything, but conveniently can't be measured and seem to encompass anything reporters and the media see fit.

Carolinas Identity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 04:28 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi Trollinen View Post
Him and Semin get dumped on a lot and while some if it has merit, a lot of it is just Russian bias from an uniformed base of people (mostly Canadian)

Rick Nash pulled a Dwight Howard, ****** move on the Blue Jackets and held his team hostage and threw them under the bus. But because he's a "Good Brampton Kid" no one cares. Although, being Canadian means Nash has "intangibles" which we all know amount for everything and anything, but conveniently can't be measured and seem to encompass anything reporters and the media see fit.
In a nutshell, this is how it is.

Rick Nash is also the star of several major videos where he's made to look like a disinterested teenage girl in his defensive zone, but whatever, he's big and Canadian, and wore a "C", he's great etc.

The fact that most North Americans judge a player's career based on NHL stats alone is ridiculous.
There are great European player who simply prefer European leagues or took longer to get over here etc (Hasek for example, basically begun his NHL career at 30 - after being the best goalie in Europe for 6-7 years).

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 04:58 AM
VladNYC*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
I think it's the other way around. He came back, lead his team in playoff points despite playing with a torn meniscus and having to adapt back to a different league and got singlehandedly scapegoated for all his peewee teammates crapping themselves against Phoenix. That series pretty much proved to anyone paying attention that you don't need a shred of balls to be worshipped in the NHL as long as the media builds you up, since the fans just lap it up (case in point puck"genius" rewatching the intermission from game 3 just now and running to post his "observations" as if he just discovered cold fusion). Went back to where he doesn't get crapped on for being Russian and is dominating NHLers and KHLers alike.
This is the thing right here.

The fact is that while being hurt and not having played on the small ice in years, he was Nashville's best player by far. After which Nashville pulled one of the stupidest moves in the history of hockey by benching their best two players after they were 15 min late for curfew while being down in a playoff series. With stupidity like that running the team, no wonder he wanted out of there.

Is Radulov the best player in the world? No. Is he one of the top forwards playing hockey right now, absolutely. Guys like Semin and Datsyuk and Kovalev are more skilled then Radulov but what people don't really know about him is his amazing hockey vision, hockey IQ and an unquenchable fire to score, win and be the hero.

It's funny how people here accuse him of being a coward or not playing hard when he is known to be a no fear, play your ass off kind of player in the KHL.

All you guys who discount the accomplishments of guys like Radulov and Morozov in the KHL are just ignorant. There is great hockey out side of the NHL that requires a different skill set and it's nobody's fault but your own that you guys are ignorant of it. For example Kiril Koltsov is one of the best offensive defensemen in the world and what percentage of HFboards even knows who he is?

VladNYC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 05:00 AM
VladNYC*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
Is he even relevant anymore? He's sure not coming back to the NHL any time soon.
Relevant to what? He is the top scorer of the best league playing hockey right now.

VladNYC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 05:06 AM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bure View Post
Lol nothing like another bash on a Russian player thread for no reason.

Radulov is a heck of a player. 1st liner for sure.
You really think there's no reason

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 05:07 AM
TheGoldenJet

Zherdev Radulov and Morozov should make a "couldn't hack it" line in the KHL (or better yet, at the WC this year).

TheGoldenJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 05:47 AM
Sean Garrity
Shut up and Dance!

When you are easily the most skilled player on your team and you get benched in the playoffs, then something is seriously wrong.

Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 05:49 AM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

He's underrated if anything, especially on these boards.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 05:50 AM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Garrity View Post
When you are easily the most skilled player on your team and you get benched in the playoffs, then something is seriously wrong.
Yes, with the club that benched him

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 06:02 AM
Malke

I think he'd be capable of putting up 90 points if he stayed in NHL. Just a feeling I got.

Malke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 06:19 AM
Saku11

He isnt that good, yes.Yes he is a bit overrated. Its just that he happens to be Russian, in HFboards, if you dont say Russian player is the best at everything, you will get crapped on. And crying about anti-Russian bias. Players from other countries are fair game though..its weird.

Saku11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 06:36 AM
kp61c

i dont know if hes that good, but hes actually pretty good and his contract with cska is simply amazing

kp61c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 06:51 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladNYC View Post
Relevant to what? He is the top scorer of the best league playing hockey right now.
To the NHL talk board for instance.

Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 08:25 AM
BobDobolina

The game needs creative flashy players like him.

BobDobolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 08:51 AM
M Gaz
Drink to me

He's a waste of a roster spot. Yeah he has a ton of skill and blah, blah, blah.....but his attitude is the killer. The "I'm the so important" mindset may fly in Russia, but here, it's not about that. He makes Russian players look bad. Hell, even Semin is a better teammate than him.

M Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 09:00 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckgenius View Post
Whats your thoughts on him? I find him very overrated. He has a good skillset (just a step down from Semin) but that all goes to waste if he can't commit to a team or fully buy into their system. He's lousy defensively, doesnt back check, and takes shifts off. Hes still a top liner but if hes your top forward, your team is in trouble. On a contender hes best suited as a 3rd or 4th best forward and no way should he be part of any teams core.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
I couldn't take anyone seriously when they suggested he's a top 10 forward in the league.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain Racette View Post
I'm not the only one, THANK GOD!!! Very one-dimensional player... add in being a primadonna and one heck of a shifty snake in the grass with his contracts, I also couldn't take anyone seriously saying he's a top 10 forward.

If you are going to comment on if a player is overrated or not, you need to establish some kind of "rating" for the player to start with -- and I think that's extremely hard with Radulov.

Top 10 in the league? Who ever said that? Of course nobody (or???). The normal comment on Radulov when he hit the market this summer was that some -- not all -- would be willing to take him on their team for like 3m per, give or take a little.

From the perspective of a 3m forward, is he overrated? What is that, top 90 (a top 10 UFA would be worth what, 8-9m per?)? Of course not, he is IMO underrated if you believe that he is worth 3m per.

6m per? I think you start the reach a reasonable market value, IE I wouldn't want to pay that but I am afraid some team would.

Look, I've seen alot of Radulov, and while I am not as recentful against Russians as many others, I hardly think I am biased in favor of them either. To put it like this, Id definitely take Radulov today over Semin today at the same price. You can say what you want about Russians and Radulov, but he is:

-A good clutch player.

-He is very good on the PP.

-He is not awful defensively (but its hardly an overstatement to say that a good coach could learn him a thing or two...).

He is far from, and has never been, a top 10 talent. He isn't a fast skater. Skating is actually an issue for him, his stride is downright ugly and he isn't very intense either. He has also never been a dominant player -- offensively -- with the puck in three zones. Most top 10 players are great if they get the puck in their own end, if they get it in the neutral zone or if they get it in the offenisve zone. In Pittsburgh, you want Malkin or Crosby to have the puck in their defensive zone. They take controll of it and get it into the attacking zone. Radulov is not, and has never been, good in those situations at all really. Once in the attacking zone, he is great with the puck, but not when it comes to taking it up ice and into the attacking zone. His skating and agility holds him back.

But I definitely think that he -- after getting into the league and NA game again -- would be a valuble player in this league, and that he also would play his best hockey when it matters the most. He would help most teams PP. He would be a threat down low. And so forth. With the talent in this league spread out over 30 teams, there is not many teams he wouldn't help. Alot of people talk about him being a waste and what not. It seems like he is underrated more than anything to be perfectly honest.

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote