HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

What team needs more depth?

Old
11-13-2012, 03:53 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave babych returns View Post
"What teams need depth?" coming from a Leafs fan reads pretty much like "who can we trade our crap to?"
Its supposed to read, "who can we trade our depth to?" but, we understand, around here anything TML related is crap

GordieHoweHatTrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 03:59 PM
Elvs

vCash: 708
There's defenitely some questionmarks in Anaheim, but the way Kyle Palmieri played at the end of last season doesn't make me that concerned. Both Palmieri and Holland have been very good offensively in the AHL thus far this season and I'm optimistic that they can fill out the rest of the top six.

If they pan out, the depth is suddenly looking pretty good up front with Koivu and Cogliano in the bottom six, as well as free agent addition Daniel Winnik. Hopefully Bonino and Smith-Pelly can take another step forward too and Beleskey continue where he left off once Boudreau took over the team. The bottom six, on paper, is looking better than it has since the days of Moen/Pahlsson/R. Niedermayer).

I'm more concerned about the defence actually, but not with the depth. They traded Visnovsky, and although he didn't have his best season, he was the only guy on the team with any true history of being a #1 or a good #2 guy. Now they'll have to hope for a breakout year for Fowler, or that they can get some good team defence going by having three pretty equal pairings.

Last edited by Elvs: 11-13-2012 at 04:07 PM.
Elvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 04:12 PM
Elvs

I should also say that I agree with the OP that's it's not ideal to hand out two top six to prospects right from the start. Good teams typically don't fill holes like that, they usually give their prospects a chance in the top six when injuries occur. But with Anaheim's budget, I understand this is the way it's going to be. Unfortunately Bob Murray went out and signed Sheldon Souray for too big of a contract, when he could have signed/traded for someone to fill the 2nd line center role.

Old
11-13-2012, 04:40 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvstrand View Post
I should also say that I agree with the OP that's it's not ideal to hand out two top six to prospects right from the start. Good teams typically don't fill holes like that, they usually give their prospects a chance in the top six when injuries occur. But with Anaheim's budget, I understand this is the way it's going to be. Unfortunately Bob Murray went out and signed Sheldon Souray for too big of a contract, when he could have signed/traded for someone to fill the 2nd line center role.
Holland and Palmieri likely won't be given a top six spot at the start.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 04:50 PM
Elvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
Holland and Palmieri likely won't be given a top six spot at the start.
Well, Bonino isn't exactly a proven top six forward either. Either way it's going to be a hole or two there on paper.

Old
11-13-2012, 04:52 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Well, Bonino isn't exactly a proven top six forward either. Either way it's going to be a hole or two there on paper.
How exactly is he supposed to become that if he doesn't get the opportunity? He earned it last season.

Old
11-13-2012, 05:03 PM
Elvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
How exactly is he supposed to become that if he doesn't get the opportunity? He earned it last season.
You can say that he's earned the opportunity, but the fact still remains he can't be called a legit top six forward yet.

Colin Wilson in Nashville has earned that same opportunity even more, but he's still behind Legwand, Erat, Smith, Kostitsyn, Fisher and Hornqvist on their depth chart. Just as Nikolai Kulemin is behind Kessel, Lupul, MacArthur and van Riemsdyk among wingers in Toronto. That doesn't mean they can't get an opportunity.

Most teams have their top six set, then they run into some long term injury(ies) or someone struggles and if whoever gets the opportunity emerges, you get a surplus of top six forwards. Then you either trade someone and recieve assets, or you bump whoever down to the 3rd line and your depth increases.

It's like when Andrew Ebbett took the 2nd line center job away from Brendan Morrison a few years ago.

Last edited by Elvs: 11-13-2012 at 05:14 PM.
Old
11-13-2012, 05:13 PM
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave babych returns View Post
"What teams need depth?" coming from a Leafs fan reads pretty much like "who can we trade our crap to?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
Its supposed to read, "who can we trade our depth to?" but, we understand, around here anything TML related is crap
Calm down.. Not everything Leafs related has some twist to it to favor them in a way.

Leafs For Life* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 09:12 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
You can say that he's earned the opportunity, but the fact still remains he can't be called a legit top six forward yet.
I didn't say that he was.

You said that we were giving up our top six to rookies. That's what I'm responding to.

Old
11-13-2012, 10:01 PM
sharks9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatoo View Post
Would MTL be interested in a Ballard for Bourque swap?
No, we already have 8 defensemen signed to one way contracts so more wouldn't help at all. And in case of multiple injuries I think we'd rather just bring up someone from the AHL like St. Denis, Beaulieu or Tinordi.

sharks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 10:06 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post
Sharks need more offensive depth since after the strong top 6 it's a no man's land in terms of scoring.
Yeah. You have Thornton/Marleau/Pavelski/Couture/Havlat/Clowe which is one of the stronger top-6 groups in the league, and then you have Wingels/Handzus/Galiardi/Desjardins/Burish, which is one of if not the worst bottom six in the league. Like seriously, the only one of those players whom I want anywhere near the third line is Wingels. Handzus isn't an NHLer, and the rest are average fourth-liners.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 11:12 PM
vokiel
I hate blind passes

Philadelphia Flyers no doubts whatsoever.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 05:44 AM
PoundCake
Go Bolts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
I've always thought the Lightning had the worst bottom-6.
At the end of 2011/2012 season it was (vey bad):
J.T. Wyman // Tom Pyatt // Nate Thompson
Tim Wallace // Trevor Smith // Brendan Segal

That's after player trades and including injuries though.

Currently it looks something like:
Benoit Pouliot // Tom Pyatt // J.T. Brown
Dana Tyrell // Nate Thompson // B.J. Crombeen
Hall

Compared to 2010/2011 though, it still could use some improvements. 10/11 forward lines looked something like:
Downie // Stamkos // St.Louis
Gagne // Lecavalier // Purcell
Malone // Dominic Moore // Sean Bergenheim
Tyrell // Thompson // Hall

Obviously the 10/11 bottom 6 is the best of the bunch, and a big reason why the Lightning had the success they did.

- I think Brown and Pouliot as the 3rd line wingers are good fits.
- Thompson is one of the best grinders in the NHL, IMO. Can't say enough good things about the guy, and am VERY happy with him as the 4th line center.
- Crombeen, Pyatt, Hall, and Tyrell are all more than adequate on the 4th line.

The biggest need is a 3rd line center. Simply inserting Moore back into the lineup looks much better:
Pouliot // Moore // Brown
Pyatt // Thompson // Crombeen

Unfortunately, Moore won't be an option. Based on quotes from Yzerman, it looks like that 3rd line center spot is going to be up for grabs for current roster players or prospects. Either:
a) One of Thompson or Pyatt will get a chance as 3rd line center
b) A prospect will earn the spot (Tyler Johnson and Alex Killorn are the two front runners as far as I know)

TL;DR: Lightning need depth (not as badly as last year though), but will be filling it internally (not from trades or any more FA signings).

PoundCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 06:39 AM
HiddenInLight

Quote:
Originally Posted by shultzyfeelinirie20 View Post
^^ yeah you sabres fan should be pretty happy you guys have some good young talent and nice bottom 6 players
We are pretty happy with where we stand, just nervous that our youth down the middle might bite us in the butt. Cody Hodgeson is our most experienced center....

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote