HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Blake Geoffrion Crunched by Jp Cote, Suffers Fractured Skull

Old
11-13-2012, 04:06 PM
zeus3007*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Brown View Post
It was a clean hit. Hitting is part of the game. Why should the guy need to protect himself and fight for doing something that is completely legal? It's not like he drove the guy from behind head first into the boards.

Great hit by the way. Hope he recovers fully.
Hitting is part of the game. So is protecting your team mates. So, if someone takes offense to a vicious, albeit clean, hit, they certainly should go after the guy who threw that hit. Try to make the opposition aware that if you hit my team mate, you had better be ready to throw down.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 04:52 PM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
Hitting is part of the game. So is protecting your team mates. So, if someone takes offense to a vicious, albeit clean, hit, they certainly should go after the guy who threw that hit. Try to make the opposition aware that if you hit my team mate, you had better be ready to throw down.
That's cowardly. Go out and throw a big hit of your own in you want to make the opposition aware.

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 05:30 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

^ Everyone loves a fight, but those ones cut down on the flow of the game.

Take his number and crunch him next shift.

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 06:03 PM
bud12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
^ Everyone loves a fight, but those ones cut down on the flow of the game.Take his number and crunch him next shift.
I don't remember seeing one of these. do they even exist?lol. How can a fight cut down the flow of the game. In reality, its the opposite.....

bud12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 07:55 PM
RANDOMH3RO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud12 View Post
I don't remember seeing one of these. do they even exist?lol. How can a fight cut down the flow of the game. In reality, its the opposite.....
That wasn't a fight. It's just a scrum that causes an unnecessary whistle, thus canceling the flow of the game. If it was two guys properly squaring off, you wouldn't hear anyone whining. It's these dog piles after a hit that are so very annoying. It's just a waste of time and a nuisance to see.

RANDOMH3RO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 09:34 PM
bud12

Blunden and Cote got 5min for fighting and even if a scrum didn't happened, the ref would have blow the whistle anyway.

Old
11-13-2012, 10:00 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Love to see a big hit, hate to see an outcome like that. Heres to a quick recovery.

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 10:48 PM
adsfan

I haven't seen this thread before. I started ones for Nashville and the AHL. This is the latest news that I have seen.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...njury/1701419/

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 01:38 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 1271
That hit was ****ing beautiful. It's terribly unfortunate what the outcome of it was.

Hope he retires fully and quickly.

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 07:24 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
What hockey league do you watch where play continues during a fight?

Old
11-14-2012, 02:13 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Blake Geoffrion injury: Medical expert explains scary skull fracture

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 02:17 PM
Homegrown Kings
that other 70s line

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
That hit was ****ing beautiful. It's terribly unfortunate what the outcome of it was.

Hope he retires fully and quickly.
Recovers, you mean?

Skate blade injuries are always scary, I'm glad he's alright and hope there's no lasting damage. That was a beautiful hit, just a very unlucky and ugly outcome.

Homegrown Kings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 05:01 PM
bud12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Aki Berg View Post
What hockey league do you watch where play continues during a fight?
ok, we should stop calling icing, offside, etc.... because they cut the flow of the game to....... dont be stupid, you know what I mean. Fight give more emotion and momentum to the game

Old
11-14-2012, 05:06 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

Quote:
ok, we should stop calling icing, offside, etc.... because they cut the flow of the game to....... dont be stupid, you know what I mean. Fight give more emotion and momentum to the game
I will say, most of the time, a big hit fight turns out to be nothing but a bear hug... Which is why I believe big hit fights cut down on the flow.

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 06:58 PM
ponder

Pretty scary, sounds like he went through seizures at the hospital, and was very close to significant, permanent brain damage.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 07:03 PM
ponder

Quote:
You stand up for your teammate by lining him up and drilling him with a hit of your own later in the game - that is the code you speak of, not mauling the guy like a wussy.

Obviously nobody likes seeing one of their own get laid out, but the hockey survived over a century without this stupidity every night. Take the number of the truck, keep it in the back of your mind, and when they opportunity presents itself, show him what it's like. Don't act like pansy and then call it a "code".
I simply do not agree. Sometimes players take "standing up for your team mates" too far, starting scrums over very minor hits, and I agree that those fights/scrums can interrupt the flow of the game a bit. However, when someone hospitalizes your team mate with an absolutely massive hit, fighting is IMO the right response, even when no penalty is called on the hit.

When you lay a check, you can often chose to simply separate your opponent from the puck, or to take it to the next level and absolutely destroy him. Even if both hits are legal, team mates are never going to like hits that seems unnecessarily hard/dangerous. There have been plenty of legal-but-brutal career ending hits, the legality of the hit can mean very little when it comes to your team mates health. Players have their own set of standards/morals separate from the written NHL rules, that's what "the code" is. Part of that code is that if you're seen to go over the top with a massive hit, you can expect to drop the gloves right after. If anything the head hunting you're suggesting (lying in wait until a guy is vulnerable, then blowing him up with a massive hit) is much more dangerous than a fight.

Last edited by ponder: 11-14-2012 at 07:08 PM.
Old
11-14-2012, 07:25 PM
WTFetus
Most popular combo

Unfortunate injury, but that was a beautiful hip-check. Prime Rob Blake-esque.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 09:57 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

A skull fracture is one injury I never wish to incur.

11-15-2012, 03:46 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
That's cowardly. Go out and throw a big hit of your own in you want to make the opposition aware.
Definition of cowardly - lacking courage; ignobly timid and faint-hearted;

You used the wrong adjective mate. Anyone that is willingly fighting or engage in a fistfight isn't cowardly. If you lack courage and are ignobly timid and faint hearted you don't expose your face and dentition getting smashed for the purpose of loyally defending a teammate.

I usually hate scrums&fights after clean hits but from Blunden's POV this one might have looked borderline illegal. He didn't have video review, might have thought this was violent charging or blindsight hitting.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 09:17 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
I simply do not agree. Sometimes players take "standing up for your team mates" too far, starting scrums over very minor hits, and I agree that those fights/scrums can interrupt the flow of the game a bit. However, when someone hospitalizes your team mate with an absolutely massive hit, fighting is IMO the right response, even when no penalty is called on the hit.
NHockey players do not have x-ray vision. Nobody knew that Geoffrion was going to the hospital when he got hit. Even so, the hit isn't what hospitalized him, it was the landing - and that scrum would have occurred whether or not he took a skate to the face on the way down.

The end result doesn't justify the scrum, because the scrum would have happened whether he went to the hospital or if he went to the bench.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Definition of cowardly - lacking courage; ignobly timid and faint-hearted

You used the wrong adjective mate.
It takes more courage to swallow your emotions in the heat of the moment and pick the right time and place to retaliate then it does to throw down with the nearest opposite-coloured sweater, just because you see one of your own on the ice.

Old
11-15-2012, 05:38 PM
bud12

Quote:
NHockey players do not have x-ray vision. Nobody knew that Geoffrion was going to the hospital when he got hit. Even so, the hit isn't what hospitalized him, it was the landing - and that scrum would have occurred whether or not he took a skate to the face on the way down.

The end result doesn't justify the scrum, because the scrum would have happened whether he went to the hospital or if he went to the bench.

It takes more courage to swallow your emotions in the heat of the moment and pick the right time and place to retaliate then it does to throw down with the nearest opposite-coloured sweater, just because you see one of your own on the ice.
Brisebois was ****ing couragous when Zednick got destroyed by Mclaren....

Old
11-15-2012, 07:51 PM
Machinehead
ActingLikeAStempniak

Shame he got hurt. The injury certainly puts a damper on what was an orgasmic hit. Clean hit too.

Well done by JPC, just a shame there was a serious injury on the play.

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 08:04 PM
ponder

Quote:

NHL players also don't have access to instant replay to determine exactly how a hit was thrown. If you see a team mate get absolutely destroyed and literally thrown through the air by massive hit, you go after the guy who hit him. Standard body checks shouldn't be starting fights (and they rarely do), but if your team mate gets completely blown up, it's part of the hockey code to throw down on his behalf. I don't like when games have scrums after every whistle, but total monster hits happen only once every few games, if a fight breaks out after a hit like this I think that's fine.

The hit itself was legal, but the fight after was still fine. If you don't start a fight over a massive hit like this, what DO you start a fight over?

Old
11-16-2012, 09:10 AM
isles31
Poster Excellont

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Octagon View Post
So if Giroux took a hit like that with the same outcome you'd be fine if no one did anything? I'm glad you aren't his linemate.
This is part of the issue. That was 100% clean. An awesome, textbook hit. WHY should anyone have to defend themself after throwing that hit? Thats ridiculous.

isles31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 01:44 AM
Parise9Crosby87

glad he is okay

Parise9Crosby87 is offline   Reply With Quote