HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Will there be rule changes again this time around?

Old
11-14-2012, 07:44 AM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
Telling a dman that he can't block shots intentionally is quite extreme.

Not be able to swim in front of the net? What if he goes down to 1 knee? infraction, or no?

You actually want to give a dman a penalty for sliding to block a shot? An actual hockey play?
It depends on how its done Most of the time its not a hockey play or skilled at all. An actual shot block involves timing and smarts but all to often a player will just lay down on the ice to block a lane. When he uses his stick its 10' of ice being taken away by a player laying down like a dog. Its not some great defensive play.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 07:46 AM
Qward
Because! That's why!

vCash: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipAyten View Post
Be rid of the shootout, tie at the end of regulation.
The shoot out is a crowd favorite

Qward is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 07:47 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
It depends on how its done Most of the time its not a hockey play or skilled at all. An actual shot block involves timing and smarts but all to often a player will just lay down on the ice to block a lane. When he uses his stick its 10' of ice being taken away by a player laying down like a dog. Its not some great defensive play.
Yeah, I'll let you be the one to tell hockey players that they're just 'laying down like a dog'.

In other news, ballet is just "silly dancing" and opera is "glorified karaoke".

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 07:47 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
actually, you're taking away one of the player's options, so yes it is a great defensive play

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
actually, you're taking away one of the player's options, so yes it is a great defensive play
Anyone can do it... irs like when hooking and holding was called defense.

Old
11-14-2012, 10:00 AM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Explorer View Post
My thought wasn't to increase offense through penalties, it was to increase offense by more shots getting through and more passes finding their mark. Penalties wasn't really even a thought of mine, just a way to make "lying down" blocking shots less of an option.

If you read my first post on the idea (which you obviously didn't) you would of realized that I suggested NO LYING DOWN to block shots. I never said you couldn't block shots. My idea was one skate blade has to be on the ice.
So they'll slide and drag a skate blade. I can imagine the threads re this: "his skate started on the ice, then it got bumped off the ice by the other guys stick. That should NOT be a penalty!!"

This is a solution looking for a problem.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
So they'll slide and drag a skate blade. I can imagine the threads re this: "his skate started on the ice, then it got bumped off the ice by the other guys stick. That should NOT be a penalty!!"

This is a solution looking for a problem.
Its a start. I would be OK with shot blocking as long as a player is in some upright position. No laying down on the ice at all.

No two leg stack...
No face to the ground and reaching out another 5'...

It takes away a well timed dive into a lane to block a shot. Thats a smart skilled play but I can deal with that.

Old
11-14-2012, 10:21 AM
Leave Spezza Alone
melnyk pls

vCash: 50
Get rid of the damn trapezoid.

Leave Spezza Alone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 10:30 AM
Pilky01
@JamesD_TO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
What crowd exactly?

People keep saying "fans love the shootout", but I have yet to watch a shoot-out (outside of intl hockey or that end of season shoot-out back in like 07 or 08 that eliminated the Leafs) that actually got people excited.

IMO the shoot-out is a horribly conceived, anti-climactic bore fest.

A great 4 on 4 OT period ends, and then we all have to wait ten minutes for that ludicrous "middle ice" flood (why is this flood needed?! Get 15 arena staff with shovels to do a flying V down the middle of the ice and you do a more efficient and better job of prepping it), then we see a series of boring breakaway shots.

Maybe I am just jaded because the first NHL shoot-out I ever saw in person was delayed about a half hour because the zamboni didn't work right, but I turn the channel when the OT ends. If I flick back and catch the shoot-out, great, but I don't consider the shoot-out to be "appointment viewing". It is basically a 50/50 proposition. That is why the players themselves don't even really care when they lose these stupid things.

Pilky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 11:07 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
Yeah, suggest implementing the shootout for playoff games and see how how much of a 'crowd favourite' it really is...

The only reason that it looks like a crowd favourite is because the game is on the line right then and there, so of course people are cheering. You could resolve tie games by having the captain of each team chug a gallon of milk at centre ice, with the team whose captain pukes the farthest getting the win, and people would be on their feet and making noise the same way they cheer in the shootout.

Old
11-14-2012, 11:08 AM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckercky View Post
That's a rather harsh penalty for diving, particularly since people who throw out that number of head shots aren't penalized that much. If those were the penalties, players would never be found to dive.

Personally, I think suspensions should occupy a game roster spot. Max 1 roster spot per game, but lost roster spots transfer to later games when there would be more than 1 in a given game. This makes all suspensions actually affect the team (additional fatigue late in the game, every penalty throws off the lines more, and any players injured or otherwise removed from the game have a greater effect on the lineup).

Then for dives you can have a more fair level of suspension, but the diving would hurt the team even if not caught.

1st dive: Fine
2nd dive: 1 game suspension
3rd dive: 3 game suspension
4th or more dive: 5 game suspension
If a player had a suspension for diving in the previous year, then they count as having an additional dive for the purposes of the penalty.

Players would never make it on the roster to the 4th dive since they're hurting the team.
Your system for diving is pretty much what is in place now except they get the benefit of the doubt for the first incident. Then a fine for the 2nd, 1 game for the 1st, 2-2nd, 4, 8, 16...

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 11:13 AM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilky01 View Post
What crowd exactly?

People keep saying "fans love the shootout", but I have yet to watch a shoot-out (outside of intl hockey or that end of season shoot-out back in like 07 or 08 that eliminated the Leafs) that actually got people excited.

A great 4 on 4 OT period ends, and then we all have to wait ten minutes for that ludicrous "middle ice" flood (why is this flood needed?! Get 15 arena staff with shovels to do a flying V down the middle of the ice and you do a more efficient and better job of prepping it), then we see a series of boring breakaway shots.

Maybe I am just jaded because the first NHL shoot-out I ever saw in person was delayed about a half hour because the zamboni didn't work right, but I turn the channel when the OT ends. If I flick back and catch the shoot-out, great, but I don't consider the shoot-out to be "appointment viewing". It is basically a 50/50 proposition. That is why the players themselves don't even really care when they lose these stupid things.
This SO got the city of edmonton buzzing.

Not to mention HFboards was talking about it for awhile.

Old
11-14-2012, 11:24 AM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

"Hybrid" icing.
RFID pucks for goal detection.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 11:28 AM
tony d
Thanks for memories

I'd like to see them implement no touch icing.

11-14-2012, 12:19 PM
Bocephus86

vCash: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Explorer View Post
How about this simple rule change?

No lying on the ice to block shots or intercept passes. Make the rule something like 1 skate has to be on the ice at all times while attempting to block shots or passes. Shot blocking is cool and all and is full of heart, but you could still do it while standing or kneeling (with 1 skate on the ice). 2 minute penalty for offense.

I think this rule change would generate a lot of offense and not be too drastic of a change.
I thought this was a good idea not sure why you are taking so much heat for it. This lock out is happening because some teams cannot make any money. You can argue all day that its the players fault for making too much money, the owners for giving out too much money, some owners for not sharing, the nhl for over-expanding, whatever. Why doesn't matter because it is happening. The NHL needs the casual fan and the casual fan doesn't appreciate the game like people on here do so to think of ways to increase offensive output is something that should at least warrant true discussion instead of outright dismissal. I mean people saying they should make the net bigger get less scorn! Discussing a way to limit the 6 goalie 2 minute drill is legit, its not like you suggested an outright ban on blocking shots or passes.

Now that I think about how often do we even see full on ice-swimming to block shots? The guys that are really good at it are usually down on one knee, stick on the ice, one hand out facing the shooter. He didn't propose banning that.

Bocephus86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 12:23 PM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocephus86 View Post
I thought this was a good idea not sure why you are taking so much heat for it. This lock out is happening because some teams cannot make any money. You can argue all day that its the players fault for making too much money, the owners for giving out too much money, some owners for not sharing, the nhl for over-expanding, whatever. Why doesn't matter because it is happening. The NHL needs the casual fan and the casual fan doesn't appreciate the game like people on here do so to think of ways to increase offensive output is something that should at least warrant true discussion instead of outright dismissal. I mean people saying they should make the net bigger get less scorn! Discussing a way to limit the 6 goalie 2 minute drill is legit, its not like you suggested an outright ban on blocking shots or passes.

Now that I think about how often do we even see full on ice-swimming to block shots? The guys that are really good at it are usually down on one knee, stick on the ice, one hand out facing the shooter. He didn't propose banning that.
Like you say, how often do you even see the full out shot block? Not very often, most blocked shots are guys standing up or on one knee. So what would this actually accomplish? Not much.

Old
11-14-2012, 12:23 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

vCash: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZARTONK View Post
i think they should get rid of the kicking motion goal rule, kicking the puck for a pass counts as an assist so i think players should be allowed to kick the puck in the net. plus it would get rid of countless goal reviews and so remove the useless breaks
Really?

You know how many more goals would be scored because of this?

SimplySensational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 01:08 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Gauge View Post

Oilers fans don't have much to cheer about when it comes to their team winning games, so they gotta cheer something

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 01:21 PM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Gauge View Post

Okay that's one. And even that example stood amid several minutes of standing around, filling up lineup cards, flooding the ice, and sitting around while the networks showed replays of previous attempts.

What's that saying about blind squirrels finding the occasional nut?

Old
11-14-2012, 02:00 PM
rafterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post

But the thick blue line is extremely important imo, I've said this before but put two dashed lines a meter apart since a meter thick blue line would look ridiculous.

1. When you enter the zone, looking at the top part, a player cannot be ahead of the straight red line although the puck carrier can be at the dashed blue-line. This reduces the amount of "close offsides" because the guy can be a couple feet ahead of the puck carrier without calling offside. This will reduce the amount of offsides called as a team enters the zone.

Dammit I hate offsides
Do you realize you've just made it so the linesman has to try to keep his eyes on the puck, players and two different lines that are 6 feet apart ? Do you hate offsides more than you hate blown calls ?

I could probably go for different lines for in/out, but having 2 lines to keep track of for offsides would be pretty tough to handle for an official.

rafterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 03:03 PM
questhockey

1)No touch icing
2)make crease bigger, and goalies free game outside of crease
3)remove trapazoid
4)no touch icing
5)hit to head or leaving feet to hit auto 10 min, and game susupension with review
6)shoot out - player must keep forward momentum in a forward facing position (no spin arounds)
7) change over glass to over glass to over the glass from ice surface ( gets rid of cheasy ones that players knock outta air.

8) No touchin of the puck with hands during faceoffs, saw to much of that crap last years playoff where the centerfan would just drop to knees and shovel puck with hands - absolute crap

9) both feet must be on ice to block a shot

questhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 03:09 PM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Aki Berg View Post
Okay that's one. And even that example stood amid several minutes of standing around, filling up lineup cards, flooding the ice, and sitting around while the networks showed replays of previous attempts.

What's that saying about blind squirrels finding the occasional nut?
If you don't like it then you can just get up and leave after OT and pretend the game ended in a tie.

Old
11-14-2012, 03:11 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Why not keep the rule the same but raise the height of the glass another foot or so to eliminate it from happening so often on clears.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 03:48 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
What crowd exactly?

People keep saying "fans love the shootout", but I have yet to watch a shoot-out that actually got people excited.
yes, as evidenced by the thousands of quiet fans sitting on thier hands during every shootout.

Quote:
The shootout is easily one of the BEST things to come out of the last lockout. So, thank you NHLPA for that!

Quote:
Are you serious? No disrespect intended, but have you ever watched the zamboni cut the ice after OT? They don't flood anything, it's just a dry cut (and it's been going on for 7 years)

and breakaway shots are boring?? geez!

still bored? simple; leave the arena or turn off your tv after OT. You will be missed.

Quote:
Maybe I am just jaded because the first NHL shoot-out I ever saw in person was delayed about a half hour because the zamboni didn't work right, but I turn the channel when the OT ends. If I flick back and catch the shoot-out, great, but I don't consider the shoot-out to be "appointment viewing". It is basically a 50/50 proposition.
The vast majority of fans enjoy the shootout.

and well, you're right about 1 thing: 2 teams would work out to be a 50/50 proposition - much like the entire game itself.

Quote:
That is why the players themselves don't even really care when they lose these stupid things.
link?

The players seem to like it when they win a shootout. I know the fans like it too.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 03:52 PM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Why not keep the rule the same but raise the height of the glass another foot or so to eliminate it from happening so often on clears.
Why raise the glass? People on here act like it happens multiple times a game..