HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Bjugstad vs. Nelson vs. Lee

Old
11-14-2012, 07:15 AM
Hipster Doofus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaykay View Post
I don't doubt that Lee would want to come home to play for the Wild but they're just as stacked with young forward talent, if not more so.
Lmao thats funny.

Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 08:41 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster Doofus View Post
Lmao thats funny.
I don't know if his statement is that laughable. Minny's got some real nice prospects in their system and are very similar in development cycle as the Isles are with them. Granlund and Coyle are no laughing matter. Dumba and Brodin on the back end would make me smile if I was a Wild fan.

In any case, I do hope Lee does sign with the Isles after the season. If he doesn't and pulls a Gregoire/Schultz, then I won't cry over it. Yes, he's a good looking prospect and looks like he has an NHL future... He does have quite a bit of competition with the depth of the Isles system. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 08:54 AM
seafoam
Fluorescent Adolescent

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
I don't know if his statement is that laughable. Minny's got some real nice prospects in their system and are very similar in development cycle as the Isles are with them. Granlund and Coyle are no laughing matter. Dumba and Brodin on the back end would make me smile if I was a Wild fan.

In any case, I do hope Lee does sign with the Isles after the season. If he doesn't and pulls a Gregoire/Schultz, then I won't cry over it. Yes, he's a good looking prospect and looks like he has an NHL future... He does have quite a bit of competition with the depth of the Isles system. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
Don't forget Zucker and Larsson who are tremendous prospects as well. They also have a good crop of goaltending prospects lead by Matt Hackett.

seafoam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 11:32 AM
seafoam
Fluorescent Adolescent

vCash: 50
Lee is now signed and will report to the Isles. Nelson has 44 points in 56 AHL games, Bjugstad is unsigned but could sign soon.

What are the thoughts on these three players today?

seafoam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 11:56 AM
DKQ
Generic User Title

I'd like to see how Bjugstad adjust to the AHL before I give an opinion, he regressed this year at Minnesota but that may have been due to complacency

DKQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 03:40 PM
as15

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
Lee is now signed and will report to the Isles. Nelson has 44 points in 56 AHL games, Bjugstad is unsigned but could sign soon.

What are the thoughts on these three players today?
I think Nelson will be the best NHLer of the three. I think Nelson's hockey sense is quite a bit better than the other two. He doesn't have the shot of Bjugstad or the strength/physicality of Lee, but his superior hockey sense and hands will make him the better player. I think he is also the best defensively of the three, and to this point, the most proven prospect.

as15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 04:21 PM
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic

The three of them are almost neck and neck at this point.

Nelson has been great in the AHL. Bjugstad, despite having a down year, had only 2 less points than Lee and one more goal (21G-15A-36) vs. (20G-18A-38).

I think once they're all playing at the same level again it will be easier to make a comparison but they're very even right now.

Jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 12:25 AM
AaronEkbald
Nothing to see here

Quote:
Originally Posted by gifted88 View Post
the next shawn matthias
I'm ok with that.. Danger has been one of best this year.

AaronEkbald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 06:49 PM
StrongIslanders90

Lee scores in his first NHL game!!!

It was a lucky goal but he ripped the shot....

hes playing well and physical so far...

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 10:49 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

congrats to Anders Lee on his first NHL gaol in his first NHL game

I expect many more from the young budding power forward.

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 11:58 AM
startainfection

so who has the best rookie season next year, being that they are all set to make their teams lineups most likely

startainfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 12:22 PM
gudzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
so who has the best rookie season next year, being that they are all set to make their teams lineups most likely
Bjugstad will most likely play in the AHL

gudzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 12:24 PM
desmond

Lee will almost certainly start in AHL next year. Nelson will get a good look in camp.

desmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 03:18 PM
Dan-o16

Interesting how this is sitting right now. 2010 was simply a huge year for Minnesota kids in the first 2 rounds. Brock Nelson was a project back then. Now he appears to be the most NHL-ready. (Not saying he'll be better, he just seems fairly polished.)

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 03:37 PM
gudzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
Interesting how this is sitting right now. 2010 was simply a huge year for Minnesota kids in the first 2 rounds. Brock Nelson was a project back then. Now he appears to be the most NHL-ready. (Not saying he'll be better, he just seems fairly polished.)
it depends on how much you want to rush the prospects. Bjugstad is ready for 4C/3C but instead of playing very few minutes in NHL, he'll be play 20+ in AHL. Which helps the most? AHL.

Old
05-14-2013, 03:47 PM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dej View Post
it depends on how much you want to rush the prospects. Bjugstad is ready for 4C/3C but instead of playing very few minutes in NHL, he'll be play 20+ in AHL. Which helps the most? AHL.
I don't know about that. I think it's more about support. Nelson is going to be one of JT/Nielsen/Nelson/Cizikas. Bailey and Strome are also natural centers. Okposo can play center in a pinch, and often takes the center's defensive responsibilities. There won't be too much pressure on Nelson.

Old
05-14-2013, 04:51 PM
gudzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
I don't know about that. I think it's more about support. Nelson is going to be one of JT/Nielsen/Nelson/Cizikas. Bailey and Strome are also natural centers. Okposo can play center in a pinch, and often takes the center's defensive responsibilities. There won't be too much pressure on Nelson.
I'm not talking about pressure, what I'm trying to say is that AHL isn't THAT bad of a league. 20 min+ of playing will most likely give you more scoring confidence and adapt to men and an 82 game schedule.

The big guys usually take a year or two more to develop. Bjugstad played in NHL this year and was great, he would still serve better in AHL playing 20+ than a limited ~9-ish min

Old
05-14-2013, 05:26 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Bjugstad will most likely play in the AHL
I highly doubt that.

Old
05-14-2013, 06:44 PM
StrongIslanders90

Nelson is going to hurt all of the Bjugstad lovers

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 06:58 PM
gudzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
I highly doubt that.
Why? he'd be slotted into 4C in Florida and GMDT won't go for that I think. he was playing in NHL last season to bait him into signing it IMO. Didn't want him to walk.

He is NHL-ready to play a defensive 3C role but Goc, MacK, Matthias and an eventual fix for 1C will knock him down too far. Might be called up if injuries, but starting in AHL

Old
05-14-2013, 08:15 PM
Howboutthempanthers
No Bandwagon Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
Nelson is going to hurt all of the Bjugstad lovers
Oh yeah, that how it works. Whatever Nelson does is going to be very important to Bjugstad followers.

Howboutthempanthers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 02:41 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Why? he'd be slotted into 4C in Florida and GMDT won't go for that I think. he was playing in NHL last season to bait him into signing it IMO. Didn't want him to walk.

He is NHL-ready to play a defensive 3C role but Goc, MacK, Matthias and an eventual fix for 1C will knock him down too far. Might be called up if injuries, but starting in AHL
maybe I am confusing your post...

if you are suggesting he is going to sit in the AHL next year than you are dead wrong. I am not saying he is 100% going to start on the opening night roster, but your post made it seem like he wont get a sniff of NHL hockey next year.

You are putting players like Goc and Matthias ahead of him, God knows if they will even be around next year and I really don't see either of them being a big hindrance on Bjugstad. Goc will be a 4th liner over Bjugstad on the 3rd line..he plays the role perfectly.

you are also putting a players name ahead of him that they haven't even drafted yet...not saying they don't draft Mackinnon, but lets wait first before we even go there.

Old
05-15-2013, 04:26 PM
Dan-o16

Quote:
I'm not talking about pressure, what I'm trying to say is that AHL isn't THAT bad of a league. 20 min+ of playing will most likely give you more scoring confidence and adapt to men and an 82 game schedule.

The big guys usually take a year or two more to develop. Bjugstad played in NHL this year and was great, he would still serve better in AHL playing 20+ than a limited ~9-ish min
Oh, I agree. From my viewings, Bjugstad seemed a smidge behind the play offensively and very concerned about his assignments. So, the AHL to start gives him the freedom to develop offensively.

I guess it really matters what you expect the player to be. Nelson is going to be brought up with the expectation of eventually becoming a 3rd line center. With JT/Nielsen/Cizikas, we have the luxury of starting him at 10 minutes per night, and ramping up. He won't be counted on for offense, at least to begin with.

Old
05-16-2013, 05:16 AM
ShootIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howboutthempanthers View Post
Oh yeah, that how it works. Whatever Nelson does is going to be very important to Bjugstad followers.
Yea, that was from left field...

I didn't know it was a competition between the two

Anyways, I think Bjugstad will compete with Shore over a center spot for the Panthers. The "loser" goes to the AHL.

I think Bjugstad has a good shot at making the Panthers next year. Hell, I would bet if he signed a contract last July he would of been on the opening roster.

I think Bjugstad was playing too cautious due to he had no time to gel at all with the Panthers before he was thrown into the fire.
They signed him, after Minn quick exit, and then he was playing in the NHL 3 days after he signed the contract IIRC.
Not a lot of time to get used to the speed of the NHL and gel with his teammates.
Looking forward to Training camp

ShootIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 06:41 AM
BROOKLYnKNIGHTS

Lee is at best a 3rd liner and will be available for a trade cuz their is no room.
Nelson is #2 Center but could move to wing. Easily a top six player with first line potential.

BROOKLYnKNIGHTS is offline   Reply With Quote