HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off-season Madness the 3rd: Jeffrey Loria taketh and Jeffrey Loria giveth away

Closed Thread

Old
11-14-2012, 10:22 AM
ryno23

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Jones View Post
A fair point. But you go through this every time a team becomes "flavour of the month" - long-time fans and contributors to communities like this are bound to resent all the casual fans coming out of the woodwork, because they haven't shared the bond that going through the tough times with a group creates. Allow them a day or two of snarky comments - call it hazing for the new guys - but then everyone should get back to focusing on baseball, and not so much on people's post count.

He has the immense versatility you look for in a super-utility, but his offence is plenty good enough to be an everyday player. His defensive shortcomings will be less apparent in LF than in the infield, so as things stand today expect him to start there.

That said, the Jays have plenty of time and assets to make another move or two (either through trade or low-end free agency) to add another position player, at which point one of Bonifacio or Izturis may play off the bench.
I think what Ralph is trying to say is that HF boards are a very small part of the Jays fanbase. This site is not known by the majority of fans across Canada and the US and I for one only found out about it a few years ago.

You just have to look at the TSN and Sportsnet comment section to see the amount of posters that post on a what is considered the 2 main sources of sports news in this country and realize HF Boards is just a small site but nonetheless a great site with many smart posters and discussion.

The way I see it this is HF Boards is a cool hipster bar that no one knows about and when a new person comes in for a drink and he orders a different beer they chastise him for it and run him out of the bar. People want to keep their bar quiet and for people they only like. Lots of posters on here display that attitude whenever you go against their collective views.

I know that from being on the Rogers is cheap bangwagon and I just got throw off last night after they caught the Marlins in a fire sale and took advantage of it.

What the hardcore posters here will know get to see is the casual fans come back to the ballpark and raise attendance, merchandise sale and put more money back into Rogers cause the team has put a winning team on paper that people will want to come out and support at least to start the season. That is the Toronto marketplace for baseball and has always been like that put a winner on the field and people will show up.

So with the casual fans money back into the Jays they will be able to resign Johnson or bring in that player at the trade deadline to push them over the top. Casual fans make or break any team in sports.

Old
11-14-2012, 10:22 AM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueForever View Post
If the Jays can peddle JPA along with another young desireable pitcher for a quality LF or 2B I would do it in a heartbeat. Rumor has it that the Jays are still in talks with Arizona for Upton. If this is true you can all kiss Gose and D'Anraud good bye. They will definitely be a part of deal like that. Either way I think the Jays are one more piece away from seriously contending not only for the East but an eventual World Series. If you can get one of the below names some how, we win it all:

OF - One of the Upton brothers
2B - Phillips
1B - Swisher
2B - Scutaro
You don't have to be above-average at every position to contend, and with this move the Jays are plenty good enough to challenge for the AL East. They do need to add more depth, and if some of that depth comes from adding another starting position player, great. I think we can safely expect a move of Buck or Arencibia (likely JP), but I think it's unlikely they make another major trade for a Phillips or Justin Upton, or a high-priced free agent signing for a Swisher or Scutaro. With all of the salary they took on, I suspect any further moves will be more cost-effective, smaller-scale moves for (I hate to say it) affordable players under control, or bargain free agents they pick up in the new year. The suggestion of Arencibia for Ogando is a good example, as I believe they need a 6th starter/swingman.

Even without further moves, though, they can run out this lineup:

SS Reyes
LF Bonifacio
RF Bautista
1B Encarnacion
DH Lind/Buck (good platoon splits)
3B Lawrie
CF Rasmus
C Arencibia
2B Izturis

Your 1/2 batters from last June are batting 6/7. Your top prospects in Gose and d'Arnaud are getting full starts in Buffalo. You've got Davis and Wilson on the bench. Plenty good enough to contend.

Old
11-14-2012, 10:23 AM
weems

Trade JPA or d'Arnaud ?

Anyone know what Ogando's contract status is?

Old
11-14-2012, 10:24 AM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amazing Ralph View Post
He's definitely got potential.
Sure, maybe he'll be a slightly better version of Brendan Ryan. Probably the fourth/fifth best player we gave up in the trade after Yunel/Marisnick/Nicolino and arguably Alvarez.

Old
11-14-2012, 10:24 AM
weems

Quote:
You don't have to be above-average at every position to contend, and with this move the Jays are plenty good enough to challenge for the AL East. They do need to add more depth, and if some of that depth comes from adding another starting position player, great. I think we can safely expect a move of Buck or Arencibia (likely JP), but I think it's unlikely they make another major trade for a Phillips or Justin Upton, or a high-priced free agent signing for a Swisher or Scutaro. With all of the salary they took on, I suspect any further moves will be more cost-effective, smaller-scale moves for (I hate to say it) affordable players under control, or bargain free agents they pick up in the new year. The suggestion of Arencibia for Ogando is a good example, as I believe they need a 6th starter/swingman.

Even without further moves, though, they can run out this lineup:

SS Reyes
LF Bonifacio
RF Bautista
1B Encarnacion
DH Lind/Buck (good platoon splits)
3B Lawrie
CF Rasmus
C Arencibia
2B Izturis

Your 1/2 batters from last June are batting 6/7. Your top prospects in Gose and d'Arnaud are getting full starts in Buffalo. You've got Davis and Wilson on the bench. Plenty good enough to contend.
d'Arnaud is 24 year's old. Already dominated AAA last season. If he's healthy come spring training I see no reason why he shouldnt be on the opening day roster. At most maybe he spends a month down in AAA.

Old
11-14-2012, 10:25 AM
SpezDispenser

I can't believe we got Reyes, let alone Johnson and Buerhle. Ridiuclous...the only thing that stings is Hech, but Reyes makes it all better.

Old
11-14-2012, 10:25 AM
Bravid Nonahan
carlylol = القسوة

Send a message via AIM to Bravid Nonahan
Honestly, I'm just glad that some of our starters will actually have decent OBPs now.

Old
11-14-2012, 10:28 AM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno23 View Post
I think what Ralph is trying to say is that HF boards are a very small part of the Jays fanbase. This site is not known by the majority of fans across Canada and the US and I for one only found out about it a few years ago.

You just have to look at the TSN and Sportsnet comment section to see the amount of posters that post on a what is considered the 2 main sources of sports news in this country and realize HF Boards is just a small site but nonetheless a great site with many smart posters and discussion.

The way I see it this is HF Boards is a cool hipster bar that no one knows about and when a new person comes in for a drink and he orders a different beer they chastise him for it and run him out of the bar. People want to keep their bar quiet and for people they only like. Lots of posters on here display that attitude whenever you go against their collective views.

I know that from being on the Rogers is cheap bangwagon and I just got throw off last night after they caught the Marlins in a fire sale and took advantage of it.

What the hardcore posters here will know get to see is the casual fans come back to the ballpark and raise attendance, merchandise sale and put more money back into Rogers cause the team has put a winning team on paper that people will want to come out and support at least to start the season. That is the Toronto marketplace for baseball and has always been like that put a winner on the field and people will show up.

So with the casual fans money back into the Jays they will be able to resign Johnson or bring in that player at the trade deadline to push them over the top. Casual fans make or break any team in sports.
TSN and SN comments? You mean the trolling idiots who don't have a clue what they are talking about. No idea how anyone can think they represent the Jays fans.

Old
11-14-2012, 10:31 AM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post
d'Arnaud is 24 year's old. Already dominated AAA last season. If he's healthy come spring training I see no reason why he shouldnt be on the opening day roster. At most maybe he spends a month down in AAA.
Agreed. I can see him getting 4-6 weeks in Buffalo after missing so much time last season, but I was merely pointing out that even with no further moves, the Jays are in great shape. Obviously, though, a move at catcher is coming, and Arencibia is the most likely candidate. If d'Arnaud brings it in spring training, I have no problem with him starting, while Buck platoons with Lind at DH and takes turns with Wilson giving d'Arnaud a break to keep him healthy.

Old
11-14-2012, 10:31 AM
AlienWorkShop
No Ben! No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakob Silfverberg View Post
I do. Love my little fella.
Ah, my apologies. I figure you then know the difference between having a dog and having your dog, that's all

Old
11-14-2012, 10:32 AM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Joe Quimby View Post
I am sorry for my comments. I have no problem with you. My frustration stems more from those individuals who have been putting down AA, claiming he doesn't spend money, and have stated baseless claims about his unwillingness to improve the team. I'm sorry if I offended you.
I never said AA doesn't want to spend, i said Rogers, big difference.
Quote:
A fair point. But you go through this every time a team becomes "flavour of the month" - long-time fans and contributors to communities like this are bound to resent all the casual fans coming out of the woodwork, because they haven't shared the bond that going through the tough times with a group creates. Allow them a day or two of snarky comments - call it hazing for the new guys - but then everyone should get back to focusing on baseball, and not so much on people's post count
so what about a poster like me, who has been around this thread since 08 and goes to dbl digit games per season, do I deserve to be called "BJ bandwagon fan"? Just because I don't post every bloody inning with armchair commentary doesn't mean I deserve to be disrespected by the herd. That goes for other posters who are regulars but not the herd.

Old
11-14-2012, 10:41 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

Quote:

I couldn’t have said it better myself. I posted on this forum a week or two ago voicing my displeasure with the state of the organization and exactly what you described happened. Everyone is entitled to their opinion; however HF only accepts the popular belief. It almost seems like a popularity contest among the most active users.

It’s odd because those who were quick to rebut and defend the blue jays then are now claiming that the franchise is *officially* relevant... Essentially admitting that the pessimists (like myself) were right.

Old
11-14-2012, 10:45 AM
Inigo Montoya

Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS

Word is, #bluejays calling key guys (reyes, buehrle, johnson) for medical exams. trade may not be official for couple days

Old
11-14-2012, 10:50 AM
Bob Barker

I wouldn't mind AA turning around and trading Buehrle and/or Buck before the season starts.

But, what a day. This has made a massive buzz among not only the die hards (obviously), but the casual fan or even non-fan as well. Which is a good thing. Obviously that's not why AA did it, but it's a good thing nonetheless.

Old
11-14-2012, 10:51 AM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
At first glance the trade looks like a great one but im not really sold on it, That is a lot of money to take on for some injury prone players. With the exception of Baltimore Mark Buehrle has pretty bad career stats vs the A.L East, Josh Johnson has some good stats vs the A.L East and will be solid but he does come with some health concerns. Jose Reyes is a given to miss 30 games or so each year also.

Old
11-14-2012, 10:52 AM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Barker View Post
I wouldn't mind AA turning around and trading Buehrle and/or Buck before the season starts.

But, what a day. This has made a massive buzz among not only the die hards (obviously), but the casual fan or even non-fan as well. Which is a good thing. Obviously that's not why AA did it, but it's a good thing nonetheless.
Does AA think that Buck might be perfect to continue to mentor JPA though? Or perhaps even d'Arnaud down the line? We all got a good look at Buck in 2010 - and he was excellent at calming the staff down + he smacked 20 dingers to boot.

Old
11-14-2012, 10:52 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaZuffa View Post
so what about a poster like me, who has been around this thread since 08 and goes to dbl digit games per season, do I deserve to be called "BJ bandwagon fan"? Just because I don't post every bloody inning with armchair commentary doesn't mean I deserve to be disrespected by the herd. That goes for other posters who are regulars but not the herd.
I second this post. A fan is someone who is a fan of the team through thick and thin.. yes. That person is still a fan if they can acknowledge that the team is an elephant stuck in quick sand and he/she doesn’t really want to spend valuable moments in life micro analyzing which parts are still above surface.

Fortunately AA brought a crane yesterday and yanked that thing out. Its still hanging over, but we will see if we can touch solid ground.

Old
11-14-2012, 10:55 AM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetNation View Post
At first glance the trade looks like a great one but im not really sold on it, That is a lot of money to take on for some injury prone players. With the exception of Baltimore Mark Buehrle has pretty bad career stats vs the A.L East, Josh Johnson has some good stats vs the A.L East and will be solid but he does come with some health concerns. Jose Reyes is a given to miss 30 games or so each year also.
What about the other 130 games where Reyes will hit close to .300 (or if he reverts back to 2011 form .340) and provides massive speed at the top of the lineup? The impact of a guy like that setting the table filters through the lineup almost right into the laps of EE and Bautista.

Old
11-14-2012, 10:58 AM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
God forbid a team ever getting more fans...everyone starts out as a band-wagoner at some point.

I openly admit that although I have followed the Jays over the years somewhat, I don't follow baseball religiously due to liking hockey and football better. I and many others got excited by this trade. I apologize on behalf of myself and others for impeding on your sacred baseball thread in a hockey forum trying to get more insight on it and learn more about the Jays.
You and we need to be more understanding. The guys that have posted here regularly for years have had to deal with random posters coming in bashing AA and posting how cheap rogers is and never coming back. So we've had to come in to see guys adding nothing of value and just bashing the team without the understanding of what was going on. I'm just hoping that all the new excitement surrounding this trade is rewarded by more fans in the seats next year and throughout the year. Love seeing the jays get a lot of buzz. It's just too bad the season is so far away.

Old
11-14-2012, 10:59 AM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetNation View Post
If he can put up 4+ fWAR while missing 30 games it wouldn't even matter.

Old
11-14-2012, 11:00 AM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaZuffa View Post
I never said AA doesn't want to spend, i said Rogers, big difference.

Hey! We don't take kindly to your "non-hf" types 'round here!

Old
11-14-2012, 11:04 AM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Quote:

I know what Ralph is saying, and you're both right - the return of the casual fan is a great thing for the Jays, and for Toronto sports. I'm just saying you have to give long-suffering fans who have taken **** for years a day or two to adjust to their team being the flavour of the month again. *Especially* in this situation, where those who have been defending Anthopolous' approach for three years against unrelenting criticism have been vindicated.

It's not a private club - far from it. But the standard of baseball discussion on this forum is, or has been, pretty high - higher by far than the general run of comments on TSN or Sportsnet. People bringing an opinion are reasonably expected to defend it, and yes, when they haven't been able to defend it, they've come under criticism from other members. That isn't about group-think or hipsterism, joking labels notwithstanding. It's just about the level of dialogue and discussion. Differing opinions are welcomed when those opinions are well-founded and well supported: good debate is healthy. This forum has become increasingly polarized, however, because of the insistence of a number of posters on using very poor arguments to justify their lack of faith in team management.

That pessimism is understandable, but it was an emotional response based on the tough lot of Toronto sports fans over the last decade. Understandable, but not constructive. It wasn't based on an objective evaluation of Anthopolous and his approach, and the posters who held this view kept bringing it up at every opportunity, to the exclusion of other discussions or insights.

So you've got a culture that has become refined over time, as a result of the Jays being off the sports radar in Toronto for so long. Long-term posters in this thread are the ones who stayed fans, and who share a bond developed over the lean years. And you've for a siege mentality developed among those posters because of literally years of relentless, spiteful and ill-founded attacks. So yes, maybe they're a little more insular than you'd like to see in a public forum, but if you give it a couple of days for people to make the adjustment, you should see things become more inclusive going forward.

But posters should still expect to have to support their comments and opinions when they make declarations. Just because the Jays are popular again doesn't mean the standard of discussion should have to suffer. I like that many posters who are casual fans - and I list myself among them - have been coming and asking questions rather than making pronouncements. This is a great place to learn more about the game if you approach the discussion appropriately.

Old
11-14-2012, 11:06 AM
theaub
Lets go Hawks!

For the record, no one was calling anyone a bandwagon fan. Based on the running user status/avatar bet on Rogers spending money someone suggested "BJ bandwagon fan" which frankly was pretty funny (hell, I remain with my Incarcerated Bob reference after semi-blowing the Darvish signing last year)

Old
11-14-2012, 11:07 AM
White Goodman
smell that fitness?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienWorkShop View Post
Ah, my apologies. I figure you then know the difference between having a dog and having your dog, that's all
Next time I'll throw in one of these -->

Old
11-14-2012, 11:11 AM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by theaub View Post
For the record, no one was calling anyone a bandwagon fan. Based on the running user status/avatar bet on Rogers spending money someone suggested "BJ bandwagon fan" which frankly was pretty funny (hell, I remain with my Incarcerated Bob reference after semi-blowing the Darvish signing last year)
That was aimed at me. How is that suggestion not calling me a bandwagon fan?

Last edited by ForzaZuffa: 11-14-2012 at 11:27 AM.
Closed Thread