HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

2012 CBA & Re-alignment: Lockout in Effect. Thanks Gary/Donald! PART II

Closed Thread

Old
11-13-2012, 05:46 PM
WickedWrister

vCash: 500
Who cares? He's obviously biased and has an invested interest in the negotiations where as we are just fans.

Old
11-13-2012, 05:58 PM
Wes C Addle
Mookie Blaylock

I guess I'm in the minority about his comments because I see nothing wrong with him voicing his frustrations with the lockout. Was anything he said factually wrong or crossed some imaginary line of etiquette? I think if the NHL's biggest name stayed silent on the matter it'd be more surprising then him supporting his fellow players position and frustration with where this at. The kid can't win no matter what he does.

Old
11-13-2012, 06:11 PM
Mr Wu

If you think anything that Crosby said is wrong, you might be a moron. Think about it.

Old
11-13-2012, 06:21 PM
KaylaJ
Honey Bun

"Everybody's going to lose."

"Going"? No, they ARE losing.

Old
11-13-2012, 06:35 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

I think Sid loves the game more than anything & he is upset. When you're upset you say stuff that you might not usually say.

Maybe after we lose the season some of these players who do love the game will look at Fehr & realize he couldn't give two craps about the game.

Old
11-13-2012, 07:09 PM
clefty
What a nice fella

He can't keep quiet, he's a high profile, indeed the highest profile member of the union. There's no choosing sides here, he must stand steadfast with his players and using his profile to put a public face on this is what is expected of him. Silence or fence sitting is not an option.

Labor disputes are inherently nasty. If you're going to lose respect (and I don't believe anyone for a second when they say stuff like that) for people over what they have to say and do in the midst of a work stoppage, then go find a cave, cover your eyes and stick your fingers in your ears for the next two months.

Old
11-13-2012, 08:43 PM
SidTheKid8787

Sid carries a tad more weight cuz he actually makes all owners money or lose less money. He puts butts in seats, sells merchandise and has helped the league reach record revenues.

He's obviously a tad biased being on the PA side but i don't mind him speaking out at all.

Old
11-13-2012, 08:55 PM
SHOOTANDSCORE

I mind Sid speaking out only because I think all of the players should be under a gag order like the owners.

Old
11-14-2012, 12:57 AM
AZPenguins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Wu View Post
If you think anything that Crosby said is wrong, you might be a moron. Think about it.
If you don't think everything said by Crosby is wrong, you are a moron. Think about it.

Old
11-14-2012, 04:06 AM
Milliardo

I'm not going to bash Crosby here, he's entitled to his opinion, although I disagree with it. What I don't get is how he can say the owners are not trying to get a deal done, only the NHLPA. I have no idea how he comes to this conclusion. All the NHLPA has been doing for one year no is stalling, how he doesn't see that, I have no idea. Fehr shows up like 90 mintues late for the last two meetings and it seems like the NHLPA is the only side that shows urgency?

Old
11-14-2012, 07:54 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milliardo View Post
I'm not going to bash Crosby here, he's entitled to his opinion, although I disagree with it. What I don't get is how he can say the owners are not trying to get a deal done, only the NHLPA. I have no idea how he comes to this conclusion. All the NHLPA has been doing for one year no is stalling, how he doesn't see that, I have no idea. Fehr shows up like 90 mintues late for the last two meetings and it seems like the NHLPA is the only side that shows urgency?
He doesn't see it because he is just speaking the NHLPA talking points. He may or may not be telling the media his real opinions on the matter. He can't come out and say "our side has been stalling and failing to really negotiate". So he is just spewing out similar things to what Fehr has been saying.

Old
11-14-2012, 08:38 AM
Gooch

Everyone is entitled an opinion, but with Sid and a lot of his income now and in the future is based on marketing it isnt the smartest move in the world to put himself out there like that. Much like I don't want to know what political candidates he supports or anything along those lines, more is lost from stating those views than is gained.

Also, it just looks like he and the others are biting the hand that feeds them. He's a multi millionaire set for life who isnt even in his 30's yet. When people like that open their mouth nickel and diming us fans it can get people a bit ticked off.

Old
11-14-2012, 09:11 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
Everyone is entitled an opinion, but with Sid and a lot of his income now and in the future is based on marketing it isnt the smartest move in the world to put himself out there like that. Much like I don't want to know what political candidates he supports or anything along those lines, more is lost from stating those views than is gained.

Also, it just looks like he and the others are biting the hand that feeds them. He's a multi millionaire set for life who isnt even in his 30's yet. When people like that open their mouth nickel and diming us fans it can get people a bit ticked off.
I'm not really sure what you are talking about. Do you really believe by him saying things like "the league isn't interested in negotiating" that down the line Reebok and other sponsors will drop him (assuming that's what you meant by marketing)? Conversely, if you mean by marketing the league, fans aren't going to stop watching or buying merchandise because of one or 2 minor jabs Crosby threw at the league during a labor dispute. Basically, anything he says now is irrelevant to his future earnings.

And finally, it's not like he said anything absurd. He just said he's really frustrated and he doesn't think the league is trying to negotiate. I happen to disagree with him, but I don't expect him to call out his union.

Old
11-14-2012, 10:29 AM
Milliardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
He doesn't see it because he is just speaking the NHLPA talking points. He may or may not be telling the media his real opinions on the matter. He can't come out and say "our side has been stalling and failing to really negotiate". So he is just spewing out similar things to what Fehr has been saying.
If this was the case, I'm sure he'd rather not say anything.

Old
11-14-2012, 10:32 AM
End of Line
Human After All

Gord Miller ‏@GMillerTSN
@DarrenDreger I spoke with an NHL exec who thinks that this dispute will wipe out this season, and continue into the start of next season.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
11-14-2012, 11:01 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milliardo View Post
If this was the case, I'm sure he'd rather not say anything.
Yeah and that would be my preference but I'm sure he feels like he has defend the players to some extent. Maybe you're right. In either case, I don't think what he said is overly provocative or outlandish.

Old
11-14-2012, 01:42 PM
Gooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
I'm not really sure what you are talking about. Do you really believe by him saying things like "the league isn't interested in negotiating" that down the line Reebok and other sponsors will drop him (assuming that's what you meant by marketing)? Conversely, if you mean by marketing the league, fans aren't going to stop watching or buying merchandise because of one or 2 minor jabs Crosby threw at the league during a labor dispute. Basically, anything he says now is irrelevant to his future earnings.

And finally, it's not like he said anything absurd. He just said he's really frustrated and he doesn't think the league is trying to negotiate. I happen to disagree with him, but I don't expect him to call out his union.
You're taking what I said and then pushing it to the extreme, it isnt an all or nothing sort of scenario. I didnt say Crosby should call out his union, actually I basically said the opposite, I said he should remain as neutral as possible and not take any sort of position because it is a lose/lose scenario no matter what. I also didnt say that Reebok was going to dump him for this... thats hyperbole. I mentioned that this can only work to hurt his marketability and not help it so he's messing with the golden goose. I really don't know why this even needed to be explained more as I felt it was thoroughly implied in my previous post.

Old
11-14-2012, 01:46 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
You're taking what I said and then pushing it to the extreme, it isnt an all or nothing sort of scenario. I didnt say Crosby should call out his union, actually I basically said the opposite, I said he should remain as neutral as possible and not take any sort of position because it is a lose/lose scenario no matter what. I also didnt say that Reebok was going to dump him for this... thats hyperbole. I mentioned that this can only work to hurt his marketability and not help it so he's messing with the golden goose. I really don't know why this even needed to be explained more as I felt it was thoroughly implied in my previous post.
I simply don't agree. It won't hurt him in any way other than a few fans' opinions of him. Many fans around the league already hate him because he's the best. It comes with the territory. His comments are a non issue IMO and that's all I was trying to say.

Old
11-14-2012, 02:13 PM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post
Gord Miller ‏@GMillerTSN
@DarrenDreger I spoke with an NHL exec who thinks that this dispute will wipe out this season, and continue into the start of next season.
LOL!!! yeah right it will continue into next season. This season? probably. Next season? 0% chance.

Old
11-14-2012, 02:18 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

I don't know if I'd be too sure about that.

Everyone said there was "zero chance" that they'd be dumb enough to go through this whole dog and pony show so soon after the last one. Yet... here we are.

Old
11-14-2012, 02:20 PM
Til the End of Time

has a professional sports league ever had a lockout last more than one season?

Old
11-14-2012, 02:21 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

I don't think so.

But the NHL seems to be pretty good at setting new standards of incompetence and mismanagement. So why not try it on for size?

Old
11-14-2012, 02:36 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

If they stay locked out for this whole season and into next season, you can say goodbye to the NHL as we know it.

Old
11-14-2012, 02:49 PM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
If they stay locked out for this whole season and into next season, you can say goodbye to the NHL as we know it.
It will take a long time to recover, but it will never EVER be anything major in USA.

Old
11-14-2012, 03:13 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
So we may be locked out as fans for 1 if not 2 years now?

Ridiculous.

Closed Thread