HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

ALL Non-Hockey Sports Discussion 2013-2014

Old
11-04-2012, 03:37 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Man, did that game SUCK today. Andrew Luck picked us apart, like he was Peyton out there. The #1 defense on 3rd down got shredded today, as I believe Luck was 13 for 18 on 3rd downs. The saddest thing about that stat though was the amount of 3rd downs he completed, that were over 10 yards. With the lack of a running game, I thought they should have went after Luck almost every down. They were getting killed in the nickel, and was giving way too much space to the Colts WRers. Sean Smith had a TERRIBLE game too. Dude dropped a INT that would have been huge for us, missed key tackles, and just had a brain fart in the end zone, where he should have come up with an easy INT. This game is going to hurt us down the road, because its one I think we lost more than the Colts won, despite what Luck did today.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 12:47 AM
Howboutthempanthers
No Bandwagon Allowed

I guess I'll pose this question here. Who would you rather have as an owner of your sports team? Jerry Jones or Jeffrey Loria?

Howboutthempanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 10:28 AM
PanthersHockey1
Avs Bandwagon

Good god what was the abomination yesterday. Embarrassing.

PanthersHockey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 12:53 PM
FlaPnthrsPunk
Our Time Will Come

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersHockey1 View Post
Good god what was the abomination yesterday. Embarrassing.
I'm glad that I wasn't home to watch it. While I tried to avoid seeing the score all day, I was actually happy that I managed to see it ironically. It saved me a good two hours from seeing one of the biggest letdowns in about fifteen years for them when I got home on the DVR.

I originally predicted the team to go 4-12 before the season started. Two weeks ago, I upped that to 10-6. Now, I'm going with 8-8.

FlaPnthrsPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 01:22 PM
zeroG

liked philbin's quote - "didn't see that coming"

i think there have been a lot of positives the first half of the season. i think philbin has shown he's serious and tannehill has as well. those were two huge questions for a franchise to have entering the season.

tho i didn't watch it, yesterday appears to have been one of those days where the team was on auto-pilot a bit. we'd been competing hard every week and it seems that, perhaps, an expectation had developed that this was the new normal. if someone had stepped up and made a big play early on, perhaps it would've been different. instead, we made some huge mistakes and seemed to just shut it down after that. it'll be interesting to see how the group responds on thursday. should be a lesson that you need to bring it every week.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 09:55 PM
PanthersHockey1
Avs Bandwagon

I find myself saying Good God regarding the sports world lately. This time what the **** were the marlins thinking? Jeff Loria makes Panthers ownership look like Trillionaires.

Old
11-13-2012, 11:06 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Im done, absolutely DONE, with the Marlins. Ive been a fan since Hough's first pitch in 93, but enough is enough! We have been cheated, lied to, and stolen from too many times, and Im tired of it. How does MLB allow something like this to go on. Loria obviously cares about the his pockets only, and not about the people that are most important to a sports franchise, its fans! The organization is a joke, and anyone who spends a DIME on this team next year is an idiot. Nothing would make me happier than to see that stadium empty on Opening Day next year.

And to think, the City could have used that money Loria stole to get his stadium, on rennovating the Orange Bowl for the Canes, or SunLife for the Fins. The Marlins should be ashamed of themselves not only for this deal, but also for tarnishing the land that they play on. Unfortunately, since they have a new stadium, they cannot be contracted. Too bad, because the Marlins would be much more exciting if they were.

My new Organization Rankings:

1. Heat

2. Panthers

3. Dolphins

Old
11-14-2012, 08:38 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
Im done, absolutely DONE, with the Marlins. Ive been a fan since Hough's first pitch in 93, but enough is enough! We have been cheated, lied to, and stolen from too many times, and Im tired of it. How does MLB allow something like this to go on. Loria obviously cares about the his pockets only, and not about the people that are most important to a sports franchise, its fans! The organization is a joke, and anyone who spends a DIME on this team next year is an idiot. Nothing would make me happier than to see that stadium empty on Opening Day next year.

And to think, the City could have used that money Loria stole to get his stadium, on rennovating the Orange Bowl for the Canes, or SunLife for the Fins. The Marlins should be ashamed of themselves not only for this deal, but also for tarnishing the land that they play on. Unfortunately, since they have a new stadium, they cannot be contracted. Too bad, because the Marlins would be much more exciting if they were.

My new Organization Rankings:

1. Heat

2. Panthers

3. Dolphins
I completely agree with you. This is doing more damage to the organization than they realize...and to baseball as a whole. They used public funding to get a new stadium and you think other cities wont use the Marlins as an example and say, "they sold off all their good players 1 yr after getting a new stadium...no public funds for you, team X, since you'll do the same thing." Im surprised more owners arent calling the league offices and saying to Selig, you gotta get this Loria guy to sell that franchise and get someone else in Miami.

I'm really surprised that Loria has kept the team anyway. Why not just sell the team if you're just gonna keep having fire sales and cant afford the payroll? Of course now he just devalued his asset and the team isnt worth quiet as much. But a team with Reyes, a happy Stanton, a bunch of young prospects still and a few vets sprinkled in would have been worth more than a team that dealt off all that salary just to save a few bucks down the road. Now I fear that we're stuck with Loria because he wont want to sell until he gets a better deal if he were to sell the franchise.

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 10:01 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
I completely agree with you. This is doing more damage to the organization than they realize...and to baseball as a whole. They used public funding to get a new stadium and you think other cities wont use the Marlins as an example and say, "they sold off all their good players 1 yr after getting a new stadium...no public funds for you, team X, since you'll do the same thing." Im surprised more owners arent calling the league offices and saying to Selig, you gotta get this Loria guy to sell that franchise and get someone else in Miami.

I'm really surprised that Loria has kept the team anyway. Why not just sell the team if you're just gonna keep having fire sales and cant afford the payroll? Of course now he just devalued his asset and the team isnt worth quiet as much. But a team with Reyes, a happy Stanton, a bunch of young prospects still and a few vets sprinkled in would have been worth more than a team that dealt off all that salary just to save a few bucks down the road. Now I fear that we're stuck with Loria because he wont want to sell until he gets a better deal if he were to sell the franchise.
Olney said that the Marlins are going to go back to being a small budget team, and try to build the team the way they did in the past. Beinfest said the same thing, so you throw all those lines about how they are going to spend, spend, spend, out the window. Loria is going to bank a lot of money from revenue sharing, tv deals, etc., and the fans are going to pay for it because of the product on the field. Selig wont even step in and deny this trade, so you know he wont step in and call for new ownership.

Old
11-14-2012, 10:08 AM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Glad to see you Marlins fans are finally smelling the roses.

Now, whose with me on agreeing this team doesn't belong in South Florida? Sell them and give the tax payers back their money for that empty stadium.

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 10:37 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Olney said that the Marlins are going to go back to being a small budget team, and try to build the team the way they did in the past. Beinfest said the same thing, so you throw all those lines about how they are going to spend, spend, spend, out the window. Loria is going to bank a lot of money from revenue sharing, tv deals, etc., and the fans are going to pay for it because of the product on the field. Selig wont even step in and deny this trade, so you know he wont step in and call for new ownership.
After this deal, no they wont because the attendance will probably reach levels like they were at Sun Life before they left. No one will attend to see that product on the field. Im betting on avg attendance to be under 18,000 next season (they averaged 27,000 this past yr).

I GUARANTEE the fans will not forget this time and will not be showing up again in even small numbers. These guys better be prepared for that...even a small budget team may make some money via the revenue sharing but the fans are not going to show up down the road. The only hope for fans to return would be for Loria to sell the team and he'll realize that in a few yrs I bet and put the team up for sale.

Old
11-14-2012, 10:55 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
After this deal, no they wont because the attendance will probably reach levels like they were at Sun Life before they left. No one will attend to see that product on the field. Im betting on avg attendance to be under 18,000 next season (they averaged 27,000 this past yr).

I GUARANTEE the fans will not forget this time and will not be showing up again in even small numbers. These guys better be prepared for that...even a small budget team may make some money via the revenue sharing but the fans are not going to show up down the road. The only hope for fans to return would be for Loria to sell the team and he'll realize that in a few yrs I bet and put the team up for sale.
Ιm interested to know if Henry would want to buy the team back. He still has a home in Boca, and wasnt there chatter about the Sox being up for sale? This puts such a sour taste in my mouth. I love the Fish, always have, but its tough being a fan of them right now.

Old
11-14-2012, 12:26 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

I have fortunately reached the point in life where I don't care.

What Loria did is deplorable, but not nearly as deplorable as what Miami Dade officials did in turning over public wealth - money that should be used to pave roads, fight crime & educate children - to a private enterprise with the flimsiest rationale.

Pro sports teams do not create enough jobs or bring enough wealth to an area to justify the special treatment they are given in the "hallowed" halls of government. They are given preferential treatment, not because of any real world value they bring to "The People" but because of the perks & donations offered to those elected officials who are supposed to represent their interests.

It is the ancient tale of the scorpion and the frog played yet again... only this time the scorpion emerges from the riverbank in his corporate jet with revenue sharing money bulging from his greedy little pockets.

angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 01:26 PM
PanthersHockey1
Avs Bandwagon

Honestly when it comes to marlins everything they do has a stellar lining in my opinion because the worthless **** team with little to no fan support has been able to win 2 world series in the last 20 years. Im grateful to have been cognizant of that team in 03 and I think its a miracle that the team has had any history at all considering how poor their ownership and management has been.

Being a marlins fan is still infinitely better than being a cubs fan.

Old
11-14-2012, 02:33 PM
FlaPnthrsPunk
Our Time Will Come

I thought about this all night last night. I have never been so irked before after a firesale even after what happened in '97 and '05. I've wondered why I haven't care much about the Marlins since around '05 or so. This is a great example why since I think every fan in their minds knew this was likely to happen again. I came to the conclusion that I can't jump ship and support another team. I will always support the South Florida teams that I have grown up with no matter what happens. However, I feel better off just not paying attention to baseball in general. In my mind, Selig has to do something about situations like this. It's not good for just the Marlins and their fanbase, but the whole league in general which I already think is ridiculous. Seeing the many of the same big market teams in the playoffs every season with teams like the Pirates and Royals missing out for over twenty years you would never see in another sport. There's just hardly any parity anymore.

Anyway, I refuse to watch any of the Marlins games or go to the stadium (which if anyone didn't go there last season if absolutely beautiful) until Loria is gone. Despite the team underperforming last season, it's insane of how quickly he has hit the panic button. I felt that if they filled a few small holes that they could have been a pretty good team this coming season on paper, but now with Stanton being set-up to be a veteran in a few years for the upcoming core, the next few seasons are going to be bleak as hell. I don't think guys that have great futures ahead of them like Stanton will want to stay in Miami much longer anyway with this situation happening. I'll be shocked if they get even 10,000 people on average next season. Even down the line if they keep this upcoming core and become competitive, enough fans have gotten burned before and this was the nail in the coffin. We all know what happens when a team in the area makes the playoffs and everyone comes out in droves, but I can see this not happening with the Marlins. I could go on about this a lot longer, but it's not worth my time.

FlaPnthrsPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 11:13 PM
Howboutthempanthers
No Bandwagon Allowed

In response to Rattrick. Umm, I don't see how Loria's mental illness has anything to do with the fans. Don't turn the need for a new owner into taking the entire franchise out of the area.

Howboutthempanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 03:56 AM
flapanthersfan

Quote:
Ιm interested to know if Henry would want to buy the team back. He still has a home in Boca, and wasnt there chatter about the Sox being up for sale? This puts such a sour taste in my mouth. I love the Fish, always have, but its tough being a fan of them right now.
Henry owns the Red Sox and my favorite EPL team, Liverpool. He too, has had cash-flow issues and is getting his neck bitten off by fans in Liverpool for the minimal amount of cash he's putting into the team. They could have signed Clint Dempsey for 6 million euros - but Henry wouldn't offer anything more than 5 million and was absolutely lambasted for it.

Anything would be better than Loria at this point, but Henry wouldn't be much better.

flapanthersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 08:20 AM
Coolburn

Rumors are now they're looking to trade Logan Morrison and Ricky Nolasco too. LoMo is probably gonna get moved before Ricky since they need a proven starting pitcher as their ace next yr or they can guarantee more losses this coming season. Rumor is that the Red Sox are gonna be interested in LoMo. If they do move LoMo, who the heck is playing first base???

http://network.yardbarker.com/mlb/ar...s_fit/12213037

Old
11-19-2012, 09:41 PM
PantherboyHTR
An Old School Cat

Not to be rude, but just wanted to say thanks and your former Marlins WILL NOT go underappriciated in T.O. We have been starved for a winning team for a long time. Time for the Jays to shake up the AL East and show the Yanks who is boss. Not to mention hammer the Red Sox and John Farrell into the basement!

PantherboyHTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 11:23 AM
LUUUUUIS
¿Qué bolá, Tallón?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherboyHTR View Post
Not to be rude, but just wanted to say thanks and your former Marlins WILL NOT go underappriciated in T.O. We have been starved for a winning team for a long time. Time for the Jays to shake up the AL East and show the Yanks who is boss. Not to mention hammer the Red Sox and John Farrell into the basement!
First thing I said to myself after the trade was: "guess I'm a Blue Jay fan now..."

Seriously though, as someone that's a new Marlins fan, this is really disheartening.

LUUUUUIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:00 PM
jol

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapanthersfan View Post
Henry owns the Red Sox and my favorite EPL team, Liverpool. He too, has had cash-flow issues and is getting his neck bitten off by fans in Liverpool for the minimal amount of cash he's putting into the team. They could have signed Clint Dempsey for 6 million euros - but Henry wouldn't offer anything more than 5 million and was absolutely lambasted for it.

Anything would be better than Loria at this point, but Henry wouldn't be much better.
Jeb Bush made an offer to buy Marlins nut Loria declined:
"According to a source, Bush made a “large offer” to buy the team this offseason, but Loria told him he’s not selling. A second source said Bush had put together a group of wealthy investors, with Venezuelan media mogul Gustavo Cisneros among possibilities mentioned. Cisneros declined to discuss the Marlins in an e-mail."

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sport...#storylink=cpy

Maybe after 2014 when Loria wouldn't have to share sales profits with county.

JOL

jol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:58 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jol View Post
Jeb Bush made an offer to buy Marlins nut Loria declined:
"According to a source, Bush made a “large offer” to buy the team this offseason, but Loria told him he’s not selling. A second source said Bush had put together a group of wealthy investors, with Venezuelan media mogul Gustavo Cisneros among possibilities mentioned. Cisneros declined to discuss the Marlins in an e-mail."

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sport...#storylink=cpy

Maybe after 2014 when Loria wouldn't have to share sales profits with county.

JOL
Did anyone see the photo right before ticket sales opened for the Marlins upcoming season? Great stuff!

Serves them right. I dont give two s$%!s about this team. They arent going to get any type of support from me until Loria and the moronic midget are gone!

Now lets talk about a real first class organization, the Miami Heat! They are on some type of role right now, and it all starts with LeBron James. I was a bit young when Jordan was in his prime, but I still remember the talent that he had. Being older now, and more of a hoops expert, I am honored to be able to watch James play. He is just simply sensational. Since missing a shot early in the 4th quarter eight days ago in Toronto, James is shooting over 70% from the field. That is unheard of. Per ESPN:

James is shooting 75.4 percent since that missed jumper in Toronto. He finished 4-of-4 that game and then shot 13-of-14 against Charlotte, 11-of-18 against Houston, 9-of-11 against the Los Angeles Clippers and, finally, 12-of-18 against the Lakers on Sunday.

He has shot better over his past 65 shots from the floor (75.4 percent) than he has at the free throw line this season (73.8 percent).

And those 65 shots haven’t been easy, nor have they always been in close proximity to the basket. Of his 49 makes, nine have come via dunk, including two alley-oops. But nine have come from beyond the 3-point arc.

Here’s a distance breakdown of those 65:
  • James is 32-of-36 (88.9 percent) on shots inside 15 feet.
  • Twenty-nine of his 65 shots have come from 15-plus feet. He is 17-of-29 (58.6 percent) on such shots.
  • His longest made shot was 27 feet away from the rim against the Clippers. His longest miss was the same distance (27 feet) against the Rockets.
  • The average shot distance of his 65 shots is 11.2 feet.
  • He is 21-of-23 on layups inside two feet.
  • He has made every one of his 11 shots from five to 15 feet.

That is just crazy!

And how about Miami being the basketball capital of the world! We have the defending champion Miami Heat, along with one of the best college teams in the nation, the Miami Hurricanes, who could be top five once the rankings come out. They are only team in ACC history to defeat both UNC and Duke by 25 points in the same year! They look real good right now, and I thought they were a bit of a fluke, but boy are they for real!

Old
02-11-2013, 11:42 AM
Panteras
perennial loser

vCash: 536
Anyone here into tennis, soccer, F1 anything other than basketball and fooball? Lol

Panteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 09:26 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Hello I am doing a mock as Dolphins

I cant recall if your D moved to 4-3 base or remained 3-4 base D this past year (I am thinking you had moved back to 4-3 D but am not sure)

Can anyone tell me which Dolphins currently run?

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:46 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Hello I am doing a mock as Dolphins

I cant recall if your D moved to 4-3 base or remained 3-4 base D this past year (I am thinking you had moved back to 4-3 D but am not sure)

Can anyone tell me which Dolphins currently run?
4-3.