HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Last Movie You Watched and Rate It (Part XVI) ‎

Closed Thread

Old
11-13-2012, 10:44 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
Nice to hear.

I don't have any sentimentality for the Bond series other than what subjectively feels cool/right to me, so that won't be a factor for me-- I like the mood/feel of the series, but I've never seen any that really got through to me (including CR). So I might be interested to see it on feel/look alone.

I feel like I can interpret the TDK comment as something that I've felt before about other things that have nothing to do with TDK too, and it's something that could not turn me off more. I have no idea if these guys are talking about the same thing, though.

I kind of felt that way about the finale of Breaking Bad season 4. I don't know how to describe it-- there's this sensibility that TDK basically patented where cheesily scheme-related wannabe-badass moments escalate in a certain way and that's supposed to be the main appeal of it. That may not have anything to do with what they're talking about, but it rang seriously negative buzz-kill alarm bells for me.
Stop reading reviews, go watch it for yourself, and form your own opinion dude.

Old
11-13-2012, 11:35 PM
kihei

vCash: 4667

Elena (2011), directed by Andrey Zvyagintsev: Elena is a middle aged woman who might have been slim and pretty once, but that was a long time ago. She's on her second marriage to a middle-aged man who is on his second marriage, too, and he has seen better days as well. They have an ultra-modern house and a comfortable, if distant, relationship. Neither likes their partner's kid from their first marriage, and the movie makes clear that they both have a point regarding their distaste. Elena's kid is a useless slug; Vladimir's kid is a privileged brat. Turns out, blood is thicker than water, though. While the movie plays its cards close to its vest, it ends up being a deliciously cynical black comedy elegantly directed and superbly acted. Even the faux Phillip Glass-type score suits the movie to a tee. This is one of those rare movies where you can see everybody's point of view as making a lot of sense. Yet, in the end, the audience is left in something of a quandary, albeit one that has been very carefully constructed. It is possible that this film is a backhanded compliment to the Russian peasant's ability to survive. It is also possible that the film is a condemnation of that same peasant's narrow-mindedness and moral relativism. A very, very smart, brilliantly directed movie.

subtitles

Top Ten 2012 so far

1. Amour, Haneke, France
2. A Simple Life, Hui, Hong Kong
3. Rhino Season, Ghobadi, Iran
4. No, Larrain, Chile
5. A Royal Affair, Arcel, Denmark
6. Oslo, August 31, Trier, Norway
7. Elena, Zvyagintsev, Russia
8. Tabu, Gomes, Portugal
9. Skyfall, Mendes, US
10. Norwegian Wood, Tran, Japan

Last edited by kihei: 11-14-2012 at 02:50 PM.
Old
11-13-2012, 11:40 PM
End of Line
Human After All

21 Jump Street (2012): 8/10

One of the funniest and most awkward movies I've seen in a while.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
11-14-2012, 12:57 AM
Stu Macher

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post

Elena (2011), directed by Andrey Zvyagintsev: Elena is a middle aged woman who might have been slim and pretty once, but that was a long time ago. She's on her second marriage to a middle-aged man who is on his second marriage, too, and he has seen better days as well. They have an ultra-modern house and a comfortable, if distant, relationship. Neither likes their partner's kid from their first marriage, and the movie makes clear that they both have a point regarding their distaste. Elena's kid is a useless slug; Vladimir's kid is a privileged brat. Turns out, blood is thicker than water, though. While the movie plays its cards close to its vest, it ends up being a deliciously cynical black comedy elegantly directed and superbly acted. Even the faux Phillip Glass-type score suits the movie to a tee. This is one of those rare movies where you can see everybody's point of view as making a lot of sense. Yet, in the end, the audience is left in something of a quandary, albeit one that has been very carefully constructed. It is possible that this film is a backhanded compliment to the Russian peasant's ability to survive. It is also possible that the film is a condemnation of that same peasant's narrow-mindedness and moral relativism. A very, very smart, brilliantly directed movie.
I've had copies of that and Headhunters for months now, and I just haven't started watching either yet.

Old
11-14-2012, 12:58 AM
chuppa chupp
star gazing

Quote:

I loved loved loved the visual style of this movie. One of my favorites of whatever year it's considered.

Old
11-14-2012, 08:40 AM
kihei

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuppa chupp View Post
I loved loved loved the visual style of this movie. One of my favorites of whatever year it's considered.
And I can see a case for either year. For me, it's a "tweener," a movie released at festivals last year but only commercially available this year. Thanks to Toronto's 75 festivals, the films of my list can fall on one side of the tweener line (Rhino Season) or the other (Elena) depending on when they play TO.

Old
11-14-2012, 11:03 AM
SB164

Hey guys, I've just written my first review for the university newspaper. If you have the time, I'd appreciate some feedback. Thanks.

http://theconcordian.com/2012/11/the...-living-space/

Edit: And now you know my name. Oh well.

Old
11-14-2012, 11:08 AM
kihei

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
Hey guys, I've just written my first review for the university newspaper. If you have the time, I'd appreciate some feedback. Thanks.

http://theconcordian.com/2012/11/the...-living-space/

Edit: And now you know my name. Oh well.
That's an excellent review. It made me really want to see the documentary, which sounds like it has a fascinating and gripping tale to tell. Very nicely done.

Do you think it might make an interesting companion piece with Herzog's Into the Abyss? Or perhaps with The Thin Blue Line?

Last edited by kihei: 11-14-2012 at 02:57 PM.
Old
11-14-2012, 03:33 PM
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!

Piranha DD - lulz/10

Please make a third movie.

Old
11-14-2012, 04:29 PM
HawksRule7
Fehr the Reaper

The Cabin in the Woods - 8.5/10. At the video store on Sunday looking for something to watch on a nasty, rainy night and picked this one out. A movie that's both funny and scary in one is a win.

Old
11-14-2012, 04:46 PM
TP
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Goon.

I seriously liked it alot. 7/10 stars.

Old
11-14-2012, 11:00 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 1322
The Man With The Iron Fists 1/10

1 point because there were a couple moments that were so ridiculous they were funny, and the basic concept of the plot was a good idea. But the script was so terrible that it wrecked any potential it had.

Old
11-14-2012, 11:11 PM
SB164

Quote:
That's an excellent review. It made me really want to see the documentary, which sounds like it has a fascinating and gripping tale to tell. Very nicely done.

Do you think it might make an interesting companion piece with Herzog's Into the Abyss? Or perhaps with The Thin Blue Line?
Thank you for the kind words kihei. The film is being screened as part of Cinema Politica. I might just go see it again on Friday since the director will be in attendance. I don't know if it's being show in Toronto though.

Now I haven't seen the above-mentioned films, but I've definitely read a great deal about them.

I'd argue that Herman's House is less of a criticism of the American justice system compared to Herzog and Morris' docs. I'd even argue that Angad Bhalla's objective wasn't really to prove Wallace's innocence.

What is made obvious, however, is that an individual who has been a model prisoner for over 40 years should not be under solitary confinement. The phrase "cruel and unusual punishment" is used a few times to describe his treatment.

Herman really is the "star" of this documentary though. He's incredibly well-spoken and very humourous, like a wise, ol' grand-father. But I couldn't help but wonder, what if he did take part in a murder in 1972? That question definitely lingers in the back of the viewer's mind. Is it possible for a man to commit such a heinous crime and still be this likeable? Because that definitely stirs up an array of conflicting emotions. And I know this sounds like a morbid thing to say (because we're dealing with real people after all), but this film would be even more fascinating if Wallace was actually guilty.

Also, what that the review doesn't mention (due to word limit) is the story of a poor, young man named Michael Musser, who was sentenced to 12 years in Angola prison at the age of 15 (a tough prosecutor made sure he didn't simply end up in "juvie.")

Michael spent seven of those years in solitary confinement, next to Herman's cell. The latter basically taught him how to read, write, let go of all that anger, and develop a sense of compassion. Musser's mother had a great line about her son's rehabilitation: "If [Herman] can do that in there, what can he do out here?"

Last edited by SB164: 11-14-2012 at 11:36 PM.
Old
11-14-2012, 11:47 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeddarRants View Post
Stop reading reviews, go watch it for yourself, and form your own opinion dude.
What?

I just asked a simple question and wanted to get an impression from people because I was on the fence about whether I wanted to watch it, "dude".

Old
11-14-2012, 11:58 PM
eldiablo17

Wreck-It Ralph (2012)

I was on board with first half or so with this movie, wasn't good but also wasn't bad, then it decides to stop making anything that resembles sense. It takes sense behind the shed and shoots it in the face. If Wreck-It Ralph was a serial killer, my sense would be the token black guy. Poor, small, innocent Fix-it Felix was my idea of what was going on... and he got taken advantage of by someone the size of Ralph. Cosmopolis was a more digestible movie than this. Just horribly compounding nonsense that hurt my brain... and this is someone who plays videogames and got the references. God help someone else. I'm not going to say don't go see it because somehow people are giving this a pass so... whatever, you may like it, but for me this is the worst film I've seen all year. Actually that is a lie, I turned off Snow White half and hour in because it was so bad and refuse to revisit it (one of only two movies to ever make me do that) so that wins by default. But I enjoyed John Carter, This Means War, Motorway, and Men in Black 3 more. Exceptionally shoddy film-making.

Old
11-15-2012, 07:11 AM
Izzy
FollowmeonInstagram!

vCash: 270
Last night I watched Infected on the space channel. I have never seen a cornier movie with worst placed music and close-ups to people's faces. Only made it through an hour, didn't care how it ended.

0.5/10. If that

Old
11-15-2012, 11:52 AM
The Viper
Legolas

vCash: 90
Lions for Lambs - 9/10

Took a point off for the ending, the ending was crap

Old
11-15-2012, 02:00 PM
Stu Macher

"Alright, I think I'm ready to move, I've got everything taken care of right? Oh wait, I need to pack up these 650 DVD's..." - Me

Old
11-15-2012, 06:46 PM
Mario Lemieux fan 66

Ted 8/10
Looper 8/10
Skyfall 7.5/10
Total Recall with Colin Farell 7.5/10
Gran Torino 7/10
Apocalypto 7/10
Red state 6.5/10
Act of valor 6.5/10
Contraband 6.5/10
Cosmopolis 3/10

Old
11-15-2012, 07:01 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Mississippi Burning 9/10

I hadn't seen it in a long time time and didn't realize that other Gene Hackman and Willem Defoe these actors/actresses were in it;

-Tobin Bell (Saw)
-Michael Rooker (Merle in Walking Dead)
-R. Lee Ermey (Full Metal Jacket, Toy Story)
-Brad Dourif (Childs Play, LOTR, One Flew over the Cuckoo's nest)
-Kevin Dunn (Godzilla, Transformers)
-Stephen Tobolowsky (Groundhog Day, Deadwood)
-Frances McDormand (Fargo)

Old
11-15-2012, 07:42 PM
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!

We Bought a Zoo - 8.5/10

Old
11-16-2012, 01:32 AM
kihei

I Wish (2012), directed by Hirokazu Koreeda: When their parents separate, two brothers, not quite in their teens, make opposite choices, the older brother choosing to stay with his mother, the younger sibling opting to live with his father. The older brother longs to have the family reunited, though, and thinks he has found a way to make his wish come true. This is a very sweet tempered work by a director not previously noted for his light touch. The brothers and their friends are charmingly natural on screen and the world of children is observed carefully and respectfully. The film is so beautifully shot and gracefully edited that it almost disguises the fact that there is not much going on and little dramatic tension thoughout much of this work. Characteristically, Koreeda is never in a rush to get anywhere, but there is no doubt that some sections of I Wish drag. However, the movie comes together in the end in such an appropriate, believable, and level-headed way that its flaws seem merely unfortunate rather than disastrous.

subtitles

Last edited by kihei: 11-16-2012 at 08:45 AM.
Old
11-16-2012, 10:51 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Moulin Rouge: 7.5/10
Not one of my picks, but I'd never seen it, so what the hell. I hate to use the phrase "I enjoyed it more than I thought I would" because it makes me seem like I was out to hate it, but really, it's just because musicals and romance are not my go-to genres. It was pretty good, though it can't hope to sustain the frantic, breathless pace of the first third or so...so the rest of the movie seems a little slow in comparison. Ewan MacGregor was good and Nicole Kidman impressed me a lot with a range I'd not seen from her. The story is more something to get people into singing and dancing situations and less anything substantial to hang on to (especially when the end is revealed at the beginning) but that's OK. The costumes and sets are eye-popping enough on their own.

Old
11-16-2012, 07:12 PM
kihei

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Holy Motors: 7/10
Holy Motors got quite a bit of buzz at Cannes after, for some reviewers, the "other limousine movie" actually upstaged Cronenberg's hotly-awaited Cosmopolis. Like Cosmopolis, Holy Motors is an assault of style, with most of the action taking place in a limosine prowling through the city (Paris, here). Its passenger is Mr. Oscar, played by Denis Lavant. Mr. Oscar's job seems to involve him taking a number of "assignments" which lead Mr. Oscar disguising himself and completing a multitude of bizarre scenarios - motion-capture, blacklit, dragon-avatared sex, dressing up like a freakish troll character and kidnapping supermodel Kay M (Eva Mendes), playing an old man on his deathbed, making a musical with Kylie Minogue, and picking up his daughter from a party. It's virtually impossible to find rhyme or reason to many of the events, but it remains a pretty fascinating ordeal, though it'll try the patience of many. Lavant in particular is incredible, and if nothing else, you'll want to keep watching the movie just to see how he transforms himself next. I feel like I need to see it at least one more time to start deciphering it though.
Paris Je t'aime as rethought in the spirit of Jean Cocteau? (Half-hearted defense: The movie is episodic, and the "underworld" on display here is as mundane but mysterious as the one in Cocteau's Orphee). Or not. I don't really have a clue, but I liked it. However, I doubt there is much to decipher on subsequent viewings; I think everybody just takes the associations they want from it and we do with them what we will. In my case, though not necessarily in anybody else's, these associations would include life as performance, multiple roles and identities, change, love, regret, aging, and loss--swirl them around like a martini in a tumbler and savour the feelings that result from doing so. I don't know how good the movie actually is, though I definitely enjoyed watching it go by. Film has such potential for exploring this kind of surreal/dream-like territory--I'm glad to see that somebody has done it. I wish directors would do it more often. Certainly among the top twenty films that I have seen so far this year.

subtitles

Last edited by kihei: 11-16-2012 at 07:33 PM.
Old
11-16-2012, 10:24 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Seeking a Friend for the End of the World: 9/10

Instantly one of my favorite movies of all-time, but I'm an absolute sucker for those "indie" type romantic movies. I wasn't expecting much out of it, but I really loved it for some reason. Keira Knightley is one of my favorites, and Steve Carell was surprisingly great as well. It was a really well done film IMHO.

Loved all the "B-list" comedians who made appearances in the beginning of the film like Patton Oswalt and Amy Schumer.

EDIT - Looking around the internet now, looks like I'm in the clear minority on this one. I don't know, this movie just hit the right spot for me. I was gripped the whole way through.

Last edited by silverfish: 11-16-2012 at 10:30 PM.
Closed Thread