HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

The New OT Thread: Spring Training is Here!

Closed Thread

Old
11-12-2012, 07:17 AM
little miss oiler

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
I've had Shaw TV/Internet and Telus Optik TV/Internet and I like Telus 13470938471847123049871047123% more.
Can you bundle cell phone & tv/Internet into one bill? Just curious.

Old
11-13-2012, 05:39 PM
GMofOilers

Wow bluejays and marlins just made a huge epic blockbuster deal

Old
11-13-2012, 05:53 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

The Blue Jays are relevant again. AA finally made a splash and Rogers is actually spending some money.

The Jays get Emilio Bonifacio, Josh Johnson, Mark Buehrle, Jose Reyes and John Buck. Hechavarria, Escobar and Alvarez are the main pieces going to the Marlins.

Old
11-13-2012, 05:54 PM
BlueChip01

I am reading tweets and it sounds massive. Show show much I follow baseball. Never heard of one player on either side.

Old
11-13-2012, 05:55 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Jose Reyes is one of the best shortstops in baseball and Johnson and Buehrle are solid starting pitchers. Not great, but solid. Basically, the Marlins sent the brunt of their payroll to the Blue Jays.

Every three or four years Marlins ownership does this... they just sell the farm.

Old
11-13-2012, 06:05 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Okay, the Marlins didn't get totally swindled. Sources are saying that they'll also get Jacob Marisnick or Anthony Gose, as well as a catcher -- Arencibia, Wilson or Mathis.

Old
11-13-2012, 06:06 PM
GMofOilers

Jays just took on 40 M a year in salaries.

Old
11-13-2012, 07:24 PM
SDig14

They took on a lot of $, but they made a massive upgrade to their staff and solidified short for a long time.

When healthy Reyes is a beast, can hit .300 and steal 40 bases, and is a great fielder. Easily top 3 shortstops in the game when healthy.

All the players are owed a lot of dollars still, but worth the risk if you ever want to build a winner.

JJ has great stuff, only downside is he only has 1 year left on his deal.

Old
11-13-2012, 07:52 PM
Yeah15
2nd Tier Fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Jose Reyes is one of the best shortstops in baseball and Johnson and Buehrle are solid starting pitchers. Not great, but solid. Basically, the Marlins sent the brunt of their payroll to the Blue Jays.

Every three or four years Marlins ownership does this... they just sell the farm.
Johnson is a very, very good pitcher, led the National League in ERA in 2010. Instantly becomes the Jays ace ahead of Morrow. Only downside, as noted above, is that he only has one year left on his contract.

Old
11-13-2012, 08:10 PM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah15 View Post
Johnson is a very, very good pitcher, led the National League in ERA in 2010. Instantly becomes the Jays ace ahead of Morrow. Only downside, as noted above, is that he only has one year left on his contract.
Ya, he's the auto Ace of the staff now.

A top 5 of Johnson, Buehrle, Morrow, Romero, and Villenueva (if they can get him done) will be a very solid staff heading into next year.

A lot less pressure on a questionable bullpen.

Old
11-13-2012, 09:19 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

I still have Morrow ahead of Johnson. I'm always wary whenever pitchers have one outstanding statistical season followed by a letdown. Pedigree is fine (which is has in spades) but do it again. His career ERA suggests that he's a horse, though.

Morrow was fantastic whenever he pitched in '12 and finished with a 10-7 record despite the Blue Jays' tailspin. He's still the cornerstone of the rotation as far as I'm concerned.

Old
11-13-2012, 10:29 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by little miss oiler View Post
Not sure, I use rogers wireless

Old
11-13-2012, 10:34 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Jon Morosi ‏@jonmorosi
The deal, unofficially: Johnson, Buehrle, Reyes, Bonifacio, Buck for Escobar, Hechavarria, Alvarez, Nicolino, Marisnick, Mathis, DeSclafan

Old
11-13-2012, 10:36 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

After all of his rantings in favour of the NHLPA Allan Walsh finally produces a worthwhile tweet.

Quote:
Allan Walsh ‏@walsha
As a former Montrealer and diehard Expos fan, I never want to hear the name "Jeffrey Loria" ever again. #TooMuchToAsk?

Old
11-13-2012, 10:42 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Oh we have BlueJays fans in here. Awesome.

My take on the trade, it's an easy win for the Jays.

Reyes has the ability to be a top-5 SS in the MLB. Good/great lead off hitter, can swipe bags and can collect walks/not strike out. Great guy to have on the team.

Buerhle is a good veteran #3. Control pitcher who won't strike out a ton of guys, but won't walk many batters.

Josh Johnson is the biggest piece in the deal. Was an ace a couple of years back, but struggled a little this year. Still was good, but I do think a full season of working out instead of rehabbing all offseason(like he did last offseason), he will be able to gain his FB velocity back and become an ace. This guy is a very good pitcher, and instantly becomes the Jays ace.

Bonifacio is a nice versatile player who will probably play every day. He's underrated and had a bit of good success the season before last.

Buck is Buck. I think we see Arencebia traded.

I honestly think the Jays didn't give up that much. Marisnick is a 5 tool OF prospect, but he has to work on his hit tool. It's a question mark and if he can't figure it out, his worth drops. Still good prospect.

Nicolino and Alvarez are decent pitching prospects but nothing special. Nicolino will probably end up a #3 if all works out, while I think Alvarez is destined for the bullpen.

Hechavarria has a good chance to be like Brendan Ryan. Great fielding SS, adds nothing with his bat. I'm not sure he'll develop his bat at all.

Escobar is what he is. A good starting SS who can help your team in every way. Reyes is an upgrade over him in everyway except fielding.

DeSclafani is probably a bullpen guy is all works out.

None of these guys are sure things nor did the Jays give away their top-3 prospects. This is a win for the Jays.

Their team also becomes super well rounded.

SS Reyes
CF Rasmus
DH Encarnacion
RF Bautista
3B Lawrie
1B Lind(shudder)
LF Bonifacio
2B Itzuris
C JPA/Buck/Wilson/TDA

SP Johnson
SP Morrow
SP Buehrle
SP Romero
SP Happ

Really good and well rounded team there. The only worry is if key players can stay healthy. At worst, I don't see a reason why this roster couldn't challenge for atleast the 2nd WC spot.

AA made a really good deal I think. It has risk(health wise), but overall it should really fast track the Jays' hopes to contend. Great deal.

11-14-2012, 12:36 AM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Oh we have BlueJays fans in here. Awesome.

My take on the trade, it's an easy win for the Jays.

Reyes has the ability to be a top-5 SS in the MLB. Good/great lead off hitter, can swipe bags and can collect walks/not strike out. Great guy to have on the team.

Buerhle is a good veteran #3. Control pitcher who won't strike out a ton of guys, but won't walk many batters.

Josh Johnson is the biggest piece in the deal. Was an ace a couple of years back, but struggled a little this year. Still was good, but I do think a full season of working out instead of rehabbing all offseason(like he did last offseason), he will be able to gain his FB velocity back and become an ace. This guy is a very good pitcher, and instantly becomes the Jays ace.

Bonifacio is a nice versatile player who will probably play every day. He's underrated and had a bit of good success the season before last.

Buck is Buck. I think we see Arencebia traded.

I honestly think the Jays didn't give up that much. Marisnick is a 5 tool OF prospect, but he has to work on his hit tool. It's a question mark and if he can't figure it out, his worth drops. Still good prospect.

Nicolino and Alvarez are decent pitching prospects but nothing special. Nicolino will probably end up a #3 if all works out, while I think Alvarez is destined for the bullpen.

Hechavarria has a good chance to be like Brendan Ryan. Great fielding SS, adds nothing with his bat. I'm not sure he'll develop his bat at all.

Escobar is what he is. A good starting SS who can help your team in every way. Reyes is an upgrade over him in everyway except fielding.

DeSclafani is probably a bullpen guy is all works out.

None of these guys are sure things nor did the Jays give away their top-3 prospects. This is a win for the Jays.

Their team also becomes super well rounded.

SS Reyes
CF Rasmus
DH Encarnacion
RF Bautista
3B Lawrie
1B Lind(shudder)
LF Bonifacio
2B Itzuris
C JPA/Buck/Wilson/TDA

SP Johnson
SP Morrow
SP Buehrle
SP Romero
SP Happ

Really good and well rounded team there. The only worry is if key players can stay healthy. At worst, I don't see a reason why this roster couldn't challenge for atleast the 2nd WC spot.

AA made a really good deal I think. It has risk(health wise), but overall it should really fast track the Jays' hopes to contend. Great deal.
Pretty much agree with all of this.

I'm still hopeful they can upgrade at 2B, but if not Bonifacio can play every day and brings some additional speed and versatility.

I'm still also hopeful they can either get Carlos V done, who I prefer over Happ, but if not someone else for additional depth.

I could see TDA and Buck as a tandem/mentor type deal until TDA is ready to take over full time in a couple years.

And IMO, Reyes is still as good of a fielder than Esco. No more of that double clutching all the time that annoys the heck outta me. A couple more errors, but better range IMO will help that infield.

Old
11-14-2012, 08:05 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 406
As a casual fan I think people need to step back. Going into last year I heard the Jays weren't quite ready to make that next step. Getting there but it wasn't time. Seemed people were very anxious and needed to be patient.

I guess in the end the GM did have a plan as opposed to what some were saying.

Old
11-14-2012, 10:46 AM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
Pretty much agree with all of this.

I'm still hopeful they can upgrade at 2B, but if not Bonifacio can play every day and brings some additional speed and versatility.

I'm still also hopeful they can either get Carlos V done, who I prefer over Happ, but if not someone else for additional depth.

I could see TDA and Buck as a tandem/mentor type deal until TDA is ready to take over full time in a couple years.

And IMO, Reyes is still as good of a fielder than Esco. No more of that double clutching all the time that annoys the heck outta me. A couple more errors, but better range IMO will help that infield.
I'm not sure how much more money they'll spend. They're payroll after arbritration with some players should be around $120M. Rogers has dramatically increased payroll. I doubt they'll spend much more. I can't really blame them. Especially with Johnson's probable extension.

Bonifacio will be platoon LF and maybe even platoon 2B. Basically he will get everyday AB's. In 2011, he had quite a good year. .296/.360/.393 while swiping 40. His BABIP was elevated, so he was lucky, but overall he should be an average producer. Last year he hit .258/.330/.316 slash while swiping 40. I personally think he could hit something like .265/.345/.330 and be a decent offensive producer. He strikes out a bit, but as long as he can provide a decent OBP and speed on basepaths, I think he'll be fine.

I do think Izturis will be mostly our 2B. I don't think we'd pay him ~3M if he's going to be a bench player. I do think his 2007 season is the best we can expect of him. He hit .289/.349/.405 that year and was decent at fielding. If he can give us that, I don't think he'll get that, but he should be another average offensive producer. Again, as long as he can get on base and be average, he should be fine.

I think Happ was fine for us. Especially as a 5th starter. Though it was a small sample size, he performed at a: 10.3 K/9, 3.8 BB/9, gave up less H/9 and less HR/9. Again it's only 40 IP, but I think he'll be fine. Carlos V may cost too much, and I'd be fine if we cut a few corners to save some money.

I think they'll take is slow with TDA. He is coming off a season ending injury. Let him shake off the rust in AAA and get back on his feet. Let Buck and JPA play C until TDA is ready.

Old
11-14-2012, 11:06 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by little miss oiler View Post
You can bundle tv/internet but not cell phone. Telus Communications(Internet/LAN line/TV) is a seperate company from Telus Mobility(Cellular service).

Old
11-14-2012, 11:10 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Yeah if we can go into next season and keep our top 5 as this:

Johnson
Morrow
Buehrle
Romero
Happ

...we will be in good shape. It would be really nice to re-sign Villaneueva and have him as that bridging 1st releiver between the starter and the set-up guy. Then also do spot duty should someone in the starting rotation get injured.

Either way they still have a plethora of guys who can battle for the #5 spot anyhow like McGowan, Litsch, Hutchisen to name a few. At the end of the day the JAy significantly improved their team. I think they still need an upgrade at 2nd and I think they are likely to trade Lind before the season starts as well.

Old
11-14-2012, 11:14 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Jesse Litsch went to FA I think

Old
11-14-2012, 11:35 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Jesse Litsch went to FA I think
Oh okay likely the best option. Either way I was pointing out that they have a plethora of tweeners who can fight for that spot.

Old
11-14-2012, 01:48 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/healt...996/story.html

I hope this case gets thrown out fast. We don't need an american prescedent set up here in Canada. IMO if you want to drink a hot beverage on a ****** tight spaced area known as an air canada jet then you assume the risks of doing so.

Old
11-14-2012, 03:59 PM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/healt...996/story.html

I hope this case gets thrown out fast. We don't need an american prescedent set up here in Canada. IMO if you want to drink a hot beverage on a ****** tight spaced area known as an air canada jet then you assume the risks of doing so.
baha PTSD from getting tea spilled on her

Sure make the flight crew retrain on beverage serving safety, but lol

Old
11-14-2012, 04:50 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
baha PTSD from getting tea spilled on her

Sure make the flight crew retrain on beverage serving safety, but lol
I thought the best part was that she couldn't carry on being a massage therapist due to burning herself so badly. Airlines give such tiny proportions that her claim is so laughable.

Closed Thread