HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Riley Sheahan Arrested

Old
11-13-2012, 11:08 PM
Satan
why did she go

vCash: 50
I've got no respect for people that drink and drive. Same goes for hockey players that drink and drive.

I do however hope that Sheahan changes for the better. He's only young and has plenty of time to learn.

Satan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 11:23 PM
newfy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
Underage drinking don't get me started on that. He is of legal age at home and for the life of me I will never understand why I can die for my country at 18, but can't have a beer at that same age.
Yeah my earlier post I didnt mean its only dumb cause he has the salary, drinking and driving is dumb. I come from an area where its really prevalent but I wont do it but yeah anyone bringing up the 21 thing is ridiculous. Is there anyone in the states who actually think that is a good law? Go get your legs blown off for your country but dont come back and have a beer with supper. As long as we dont see Sheahan driving lawnmower like this I think he'll still turn out

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 11:24 PM
Melbourne Ice
Happy Happy Happy!

Send a message via Yahoo to Melbourne Ice
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieTreehorn View Post
dont care about being super drunk. It is a designation made to pad local community and states warchests. From his mugshot doesnt look to bad.

Its too bad he drove drunk but no one got hurt. I dont know what society can do to curb behavior but i dont believe much will. Maybe prohibition.
He blew 0.17, I don't care how he "looks". But for the grace of God, there could have been a car coming the other way with your brother/sister/mother/father in it.

He needs some tough love.

Melbourne Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 11:37 PM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melbourne Ice View Post
He blew 0.17, I don't care how he "looks". But for the grace of God, there could have been a car coming the other way with your brother/sister/mother/father in it.

According to the Sheahan defenders it's no big deal. We should just give him a high five and tell him to carry on. I hope he realizes that two alcohol related arrests indicate he cannot enjoy alcohol responsibly and needs to get this under control. Perhaps he really has cut back on his drinking since this arrest and that's why he's playing better. If so let's hope he can keep his drinking under control. All it takes is one bad drunk driving accident to seriously **** up someone's life.

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 11:39 PM
Anchor Town

He's made one mistake imo (drunk driving) I wouldn't consider underage drinking a mistake. No need to the "ship him out of town to pop up" that's just rash thinking. Hopefully this will be a wakeup call for the kid

Anchor Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 11:44 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

I think the assumption that "almost every guy has been drunk driving" is pretty flawed and also insulting. I for one haven't and given that there are quite a few religious groups with a lot of memberswho have banned all drinking in their membership I doubt I am the only one or even one of very few people.

The idea that someone's loved one, one of MY loved ones, might die because of some *****'s idiocy makes me downright angry. I am aware of the fact that some people on this board have done some drunk driving and I think less of them for it. It's such an easily avoided thing for a half-way intelligent person, so there's no sympathy from me.

I once took a ride with my then fiance's dad driving and I could smell the booze on him, I was mad as hell on the inside and I would have refused the ride if not for the fact that I had arrived with him so I would have been stuck without a ride in the middle of Detroit at midnight and the fact my fiance would have been upset by the entire thing. So I just got in the car, seething on the inside, didn't say a thing. Lost all respect for the man right there and then. And I still feel a bit bad for even letting him drive.

TheMoreYouKnow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 01:57 AM
Konnan511
#Loyalty

Send a message via AIM to Konnan511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
He should get what's coming to him, legally. And he shouldn't get any breaks.

That's fine. I don't think anyone has a problem with that.
that's really my main point and really that it was just really stupid of him to do that

Konnan511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 02:04 AM
Scypher

Here in Austria kids nowadays start drinking at 14-16y so they can get used to it until they are 18 when they can get their driving license.

Scypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 02:28 AM
JackieTreehorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melbourne Ice View Post

Honestly thats the problem with this debate. Thank God no one was hurts but it always devolves into hypotheticals.

Thats discounting before special interests got their super drunk law, the special interests lowered the legal bac .02. WHy was it perfectly fine the way it was for years? DD is political low hanging fruit that do nothing legislatures toughen laws agianst to make themselves look good. I mean who is in favor of drunk driving?

JackieTreehorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 08:38 AM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Wings need to trade for Patrick Kane to straighten this kid out.

WingedWheel1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 09:19 AM
TatarTangle

This is a golden oppurtunity for someone with good photoshop skills to take his mugshot, impose it on the 'Superbad' movie poster and change the title to 'Superdrunk'

TatarTangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 09:56 AM
Rzombo4 prez

It was extraordinarily stupid of Riley to get behind the wheel while that drunk. Like others have said, I don't mind the drinking, but I simply can't defend the driving.

It is equally stupid to suggest that the Wings cut ties with a 20-year-old prospect who has his entire professional career ahead of him because he was arrested on a DUI. I really hope that he can learn from this experience.

Rzombo4 prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 09:59 AM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDrake28 View Post
This is a golden oppurtunity for someone with good photoshop skills to take his mugshot, impose it on the 'Superbad' movie poster and change the title to 'Superdrunk'
I smell playoff avatars!!

I don't drink, so I can't relate to the culture of getting absolutely ****-faced and having a great time when you don't remember anything the next day. Anyways, I digress. Let him suffer the repercussions. What I don't condone and I find extremely cowardly is getting behind the wheel in that state and endangering others. That's just...selfish.

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 10:07 AM
Marky9er

Quote:
Originally Posted by the banks View Post
He's made one mistake imo (drunk driving) I wouldn't consider underage drinking a mistake. No need to the "ship him out of town to pop up" that's just rash thinking. Hopefully this will be a wakeup call for the kid
What you are seeing is a pattern, and if not dealt with properly......it might catch on and infect more horses in the stable. They cannot be complacent on this, they have to make an example for everyone else to take warning. Obviously 'shipping him out of town' isn't going to help him. Suspend him indefinitely and he can enter all the necessary programs. What I want to know is what this means for his drivers license in Ontario....

BTW, in 2002 I was hit by an oncoming drunk driver and was lucky enough to veer enough to only get side swiped and spun around backwards at 85 km/h......so naturally I have zero tolerance.

Last edited by Marky9er: 11-14-2012 at 10:12 AM.
Marky9er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 10:17 AM
lazerbullet

A part of me hopes that this kid never makes it big time in the NHL. Driving while drunk is totally stupid and threatens directly other lives. There are no excuses, 20 or not. I hope this kid understands how stupid and lucky (because he didn't kill anyone) he was.

lazerbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 10:34 AM
zecke26

superdrunk is a great name for a punkband.

you guys over there have funny terms.

zecke26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 11:20 AM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

You know the lockout is a problem when Bob has to resort to getting on people's cases for getting mad at a prospect who got hammered and took the wheel.

ArGarBarGar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 11:24 AM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
If he did, you're could ride a really high horse, instead of this really short one you're pretending is high.
You're really defensive over this kid.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 11:28 AM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArGarBarGar View Post
You know the lockout is a problem when Bob has to resort to getting on people's cases for getting mad at a prospect who got hammered and took the wheel.
It's a great defense mechanism. I'll remember that next time that Franzen makes a mistake. I'll get into 14 year old girl hysterics yelling at their parents 'LIKE YOU'VE NEVER SCREWED UP IN YOUR LIFE' and cry in my pillow.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 11:32 AM
P U L L H A R D

vCash: 420
Wings could use a loose cannon like him! More fighters! Tough guys! Goons! Call him up! Rabble rabble rabble!

P U L L H A R D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 11:37 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowah View Post
Well I've never made the intentional decision that I know will put people's lives in danger. Twice.

And I've lived longer than this kid.
Ever texted while driving?
Ever run a yellow light?
Ever gone 5 miles an hour over the speed limit?
Ever driven home while really, really tired or while very sick?

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 11:39 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
You're really defensive over this kid.
No. I just dislike piling on from hypocrites. <--- Not saying that's you.

But all this BS about "putting people's life at risk" ... I guess all those public school fear mongering assemblies have done their job.

Which is not to say that drinking and driving isn't risky. But there's a lot of risky behavior that takes place in a vehicle on the road.

Moral outrage is reserved for drinking and drug use.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 11:59 AM
lazerbullet

Quote:

But all this BS about "putting people's life at risk" ... I guess all those public school fear mongering assemblies have done their job.

Which is not to say that drinking and driving isn't risky. But there's a lot of risky behavior that takes place in a vehicle on the road.

True. But the problem is that while drunk he can do all those things, too. Text or talk on the phone. Driving at a very high speed. Using more aggressive style of driving than usual. People lose sense of fear when under influence. They start doing things what they would never do otherwise. That's why it is so dangerous and unacceptable.

lazerbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 12:07 PM
TheCLAM

Quote:

Riley Sheehan is a professional athlete now. The first time he got a ticket it might of been a little more acceptable because he was a "dumb" kid. There are no excuses now, he is an adult and needs to start acting like one, especially in a country where he isn't even legal yet.

TheCLAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 12:33 PM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Quote:
Ever texted while driving?
Ever run a yellow light?
Ever gone 5 miles an hour over the speed limit?
Ever driven home while really, really tired or while very sick?
I guess if you consider these remotely the same then I suppose you might have a point. Assuming that everyone else agrees that these are remotely the same.

ArGarBarGar is offline   Reply With Quote