HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If there is no 2012-2013 season, have we seen the last of Timonen as a Flyer?

Old
11-13-2012, 04:08 PM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

vCash: 500
If there is no 2012-2013 season, have we seen the last of Timonen as a Flyer?

He did say he wanted to play two more years..so...

Quote:
......When the league resumed play in 2005 after losing all of the previous season, the NHL never saw some of its more notable players again, including the likes of Ron Francis, Al MacInnis, Scott Stevens, Mark Messier, Vincent Damphousse and Adam Oates.

This time around may be no different. There are a number of players in their late thirties that will be free agents in 2013-2014. Some of these players may decide to retire or may not find a place to play. Here's a partial list of players that could be free agents in their late thirties next season: Kimmo Timonen, Patrik Elias, Sergei Gonchar, Tim Thomas, Daniel Alfredsson, Jaromir Jagr, Teemu Selanne, Saku Koivu, Nikolai Khabibulin, Roman Hamrlik, Evgeni Nabokov, Vinny Prospal, Adrian Aucoin, Milan Hejduk, Jose Theodore and Jamie Langenbrunner.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=409424

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 08:48 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
He did say he wanted to play two more years..so...
FWIW... IIRC, Kimmo has been quoted as saying something like, (greatly paraphrased) 'Who knows, if this goes on a long time I may lose my interest in continuing to play... I might not want to return and I may retire... we'll see how this pans out.'

This I believe was early on in the LockOut... He has not decided that he'd be better off keeping in game shape in Europe, but he rather has decided to stay home with the wife and kids... unlike Briere, Briz, etal, all loving fathers and family men who chose to travel and play... I suppose he could get used to it and, if the Season does not start, he could just continue to be a stay-at-home dad in the sense that he won't travel as an NHL player any longer. Maybe playing an abbreviated season would convince him otherwise... Of course, this is pure conjecture on my part and mean nothing as to the way he feels.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 09:00 PM
tuckrr

I actually think this lockout could help Kimmo get healthy and ready for a last 2-year contract...
Then again, I'm an optimist.

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 09:06 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Actually, as I see it, except for the staying in shape and keeping his interest, a shortened or even canceled season could help him go through a possible long PostSeason or extend his career.

... On the other hand, a compressed schedule with much less days between games could be murder.

Last edited by Sawdalite: 11-13-2012 at 10:09 PM.
Old
11-14-2012, 06:38 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

It would be a crime not to see Timonen, Elias and Alfie hit the ice again. A crime!

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 06:58 AM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 200
It's gonna be really sad if Kimmo doesn't get to play another game.

King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 08:11 AM
The Saw Is the Law

Two days old article about Kimmo and lockout in Finnish media: http://yle.fi/uutiset/kimmo_timonen_..._kalpa/6372458

He says he has a maximum of three years left his playing career.

So basically he will play after this lock out. But is it one-two-three years, no one knows.

The Saw Is the Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 08:17 AM
Haute Couturier

I think he will be back, but I wouldn't want to count on him as a top pairing defender.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 09:01 AM
YuioIklo

He will probably be back, with a smaller role and a smaller salary.

YuioIklo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 09:04 AM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuioIklo View Post
He will probably be back, with a smaller role and a smaller salary.
It seems he won't be the only one ...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 12:31 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saw Is the Law View Post
Two days old article about Kimmo and lockout in Finnish media: http://yle.fi/uutiset/kimmo_timonen_..._kalpa/6372458

He says he has a maximum of three years left his playing career.

So basically he will play after this lock out. But is it one-two-three years, no one knows.
Is there an English translation of that article?

Does he say he definitely plans on playing after this contract... or is it just something gathered from what the article says?

Old
11-14-2012, 01:13 PM
The Saw Is the Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
Sorry, no

Quote:
Does he say he definitely plans on playing after this contract... or is it just something gathered from what the article says?
There was nothing about his contract situation. He states that may have three years to go playing hockey.

He just had a trip in Miami with his family. If whole season is cancelled we will go to KalPa in February. He wants to wait if they get a new CBA and he is hopeful about that.

The Saw Is the Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 01:14 PM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

wouldnt pay him more than $3.5m for 2 years

RJ8812* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 01:15 PM
Qurpiz
Unregistered Abuser

Quote:

I'll do the best I can

Kimmo Timonen: Children first, then KalPa

Kuopio-native Philadelphia Flyer Kimmo Timonen will play in KalPa if the NHL CBA negotiations aren't solved and the season is cancelled. Arriving to Kuopio won't be possible until February, because Timonen isn't willing to be apart from his school-aged children for four-five months.

- It's going to be February, until I'm with KalPa, says Timonen.

At this moment the negotiations are still on-going, with games being cancelled through November.

At times Kimmo's been close to losing his mind following the debacle. There is, however, a brighter side to the story; now there's time for family.

- We just had a vacation in Miami. It's never been possible this time of the year.

Will the last years go by waiting?

K T is a an experienced player, with not that many years ahead of him.

- I wouldn't want to miss these three years I have left waiting, Timonen says.

With waiting, there's also training. He's been on the ice three times a week, and doing other excercises two times a week, including spinning

According to the hockey-veteran, his back that he had a surgery during summer is in pretty good shape

- Back is quite good, with small symptoms here and there. It has some years on it, so it probably never will be what it used to be. Nature of the business, can't do anything about it.

KalPa doing well

During the break K T has had time to follow his hometown team, Kalpa in SM-Liiga. Timonen has followed the games through the internet.

- They've played well, Timonen says.

Returning to KalPa is in his mind daily. On the other hand Timonen understands the negotiation process – business has to be secured* and the big fish do the negotiating, that he understands. But the situation makes him think.

- I'm hopeful, says Kimmo Timonen.

* Tricky part, might come off cumbersome

Qurpiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 03:50 PM
bp spec

I think and HOPE that he'll be around for at least one more season after "this one".

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 03:57 PM
orangecrush8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
Then he is gone.

I understand that he is getting older but his play hasn't demonstrated that he is worth anything less than $5 million.

Having said that I would much rather go the Lidstrom route and just sign 1 year contracts until he retires.

orangecrush8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 04:20 PM
sa cyred
Offseason...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
Wait...so around a caphit of 1.75 mil a year?

I know he has declined...but you think he is only worth barely 6th defender money?

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 04:34 PM
orangecrush8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Wait...so around a caphit of 1.75 mil a year?

I know he has declined...but you think he is only worth barely 6th defender money?
I think he meant $3.5 mil / year

Even then he would decline. 1st pairing PP dmen who put up 40-45 points regularly dont sign for $3.5 a year

orangecrush8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 05:01 PM
Bryzard of Oz

I don't see the large majority of that list having a hard time trying to find a team who would want them providing they still want to play.

Bryzard of Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 05:11 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qurpiz View Post
I'll do the best I can

(snipped)
Thanks, Dude... I'm glad he feels he has three more years in him... and there he seems to have not lost the desire to play them out... I hope he and Homer can hammer out a deal when the LockOut is over that is fair to both the player and the team, and they change the 35+ Rules to allow a safe multi-year deal.

Old
11-14-2012, 05:27 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 880
I read a day or two ago via someones Twitter, maybe Carchidi, that Kimmo said his back feels good, but will never be "normal" again. I'm sure that will weigh heavily in his decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecrush8 View Post

Even then he would decline. 1st pairing PP dmen who put up 40-45 points regularly dont sign for $3.5 a year
But he's not that anymore. Factor in the possibility of the shrinking Cap, young players approaching a raise, and Kimmo not being a selfish moron...I'd be surprised if he expected/wanted/demanded more than that.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 05:29 PM
sa cyred
Offseason...

Quote:

Oh ok.

Yea I can't see more than that though. If he does, no one expect maybe a weaker (than we are) defense around the league will pay for that.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 05:31 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryzard of Oz View Post
I don't see the large majority of that list having a hard time trying to find a team who would want them providing they still want to play.
I think they were inferring that a Capped League with a need for reducing the Salary... like last time's Cap going in place with many teams already being way over the Cap, and possibly this time with a reduced Players share and lower Cap forcing player ousting that otherwise would not be done... The Flyers and the Organizations of the other mentioned players might be hard pressed to be able to bring back the higher-end who may not be willing to accept the needed reduction in salary and still play all out with it in their twilight seasons.

Last time there were Buy-outs for contracted players like Leclair and no money for the FreeAgents... Also, the 'New' NHL made it where many older and slower players were not able to earn the big-bucks that were no longer there for many teams... Will there be such rule changes this time? I doubt there will such a major 'game' change, but yet some player may be caught in some sort of change combined with Cap concerns.

Kimmo I believe will be hampered by his age and ability to play as many minutes and in as many games over a season... I seriously don't think that list+ will be able to dictate the circumstances like they would have had there been no LockOut and no Cap reduction... and the 'Make Whole' condition that the NHL may be agreeing to may add to their problems by making less money available. Can Kimmo and the others bite the bullet? Like I said in my last post, I hope Kimmo and Homer can hammer out a fair deal... and he plays here for as long as he's able.

Old
11-14-2012, 06:34 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
I think he meant $3.5 mil / yearEven then he would decline. 1st pairing PP dmen who put up 40-45 points regularly dont sign for $3.5 a year

If he wants to play for another year or two, I would pay him in the 4 to 5 range. If he wants more then I would let him walk. Plus we need to see what the cap will be once the dust clears. We will need to sign a bunch of players in a few years and cap space could be a issue. Older players always seem to get screwed in these situations.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 06:40 PM
flyershockey

God I hope not. He's been one of my favorite Flyers since his very first year with the organization. He's the epitome of a professional. I could see him taking a fairly team-friendly deal to stay here for two years. It'll give him the chance at another couple of cup runs, and he already got his big time deal with the club for his first contract.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote