HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-13 Lockout Discussion Part VI: The "What Comes Before Square One?" Edition

Closed Thread

Old
11-14-2012, 12:30 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Are you saying that I am not a real fan if I do not come back?
If you no longer watch or follow hockey, I would have a tough time seeing a case for you being a hockey fan.

Old
11-14-2012, 12:31 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Are you saying that I am not a real fan if I do not come back?

Also, you keep ignoring the fact that to looose two seasons in 8 years has not been done. This would be the one league that has lost not only an entire year, but TWO of them. Last time, it was about a cap and they league grew around the Crosbys, Ovechkins of the world. How are they going to get the so-called casual fan even interested in the game? They changed the way that it is played last time. What are they going to do this time? Since Bettman took over, this league has had exaclty ONE home run. And that is the Winter Classic. With such a track record, what brilliant ideas will they have to move the casual fan back into it?
Look at what happened with MLB just from losing the World Series. It took a tainted chase of Roger Maris to really bring interest back.

And while the Winter Classic is a marketing hit, the level of hockey that is played in it is pretty bad. Even last year, while the game was exciting, the quality of play was poor.

11-14-2012, 12:32 PM
Lundsanity30

Before last year's team (I really enjoyed seeing all the young kids play together), I had not watched the NHL since the last lockout much less give money to them for merchandise, tickets, etc. If they lose the whole season again, as much as I enjoyed the rangers last year, I could do without it. I have the Giants, Yankees, knicks, and all kinds of other things to keep me busy.

Old
11-14-2012, 12:33 PM
E Nixson
Powered by Intel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
I guerss this is not really Lock-out related, but does anyone know if the NHL or NHLPA have done and Sandy Relief efforts yet?
Good one

Old
11-14-2012, 12:34 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
If you no longer watch or follow hockey, I would have a tough time seeing a case for you being a hockey fan.
because there's only so much BS from a league someone can put up with?

Old
11-14-2012, 12:36 PM
charlie460
Stone Age Hockey

MSG showing more KHL...

Old
11-14-2012, 12:37 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
because there's only so much BS from a league someone can put up with?
I'm not saying he's wrong to do it, but when you stop following hockey, you stop being a fan. Even in True Blue's own words:

Quote:
The NHL will loose a hard core fan

Old
11-14-2012, 12:38 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Which is a fallout of the lockout. I was rebutting that "real, passionate" fans will be back.

Old
11-14-2012, 12:40 PM
Kreider Typical
flex

come on guys... charlie sheen already said that he wasn't going to anymore games... be original.

Old
11-14-2012, 12:41 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

Cory Schneider Speaks Out

Quote:
They’ve already got a billion dollars and now they want the most restrictive contracting rules in sport
I'd suggest he should read up on the NFL CBA.

Old
11-14-2012, 12:43 PM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Uh, OK. If they lose this season (and right now, that's hardly improbable) they are in uncharted waters. Losing two seasons in ten year span? That will have repercussions. I know plenty of people (some on this board) who have not been to a game since the last lockout.

Real fans watch hockey. Not all real fans feel the need to give their money to greedy owners and players by buying tickets, merchandise and concessions.
I completely agree with everything you've said in this thread. I'm a die hard fan as well, love this team with all my heart, but I was basically done after the last lockout. Since the last one, I went from a poor college kid scrounging money in an effort to pay for my coveted half season plan to a working professional that can easily afford a full season plan, and guess what, MSG hasn't and will not get my money anymore.

The worst part about all of this is that bringing the business aspect of the sport to the forefront kills the "magic". It forces fans to grow up. How do you root for something so passionately, and while doing so hand over a bunch of your hard earned money, when it is crystal clear that you care more than the people on the ice and in the front office? And once that becomes crystal clear, how do you continue to care?

I'll keep watching. It's in my blood and beyond my ability to rationalize. But I will not spend money, and unfortunately I will not enjoy any future success nearly as much as I have past success. The damage has been done to me for awhile now and I can't imagine that more people will not feel this way after this debacle is over.

Old
11-14-2012, 12:44 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

Quote:
Which is a fallout of the lockout. I was rebutting that "real, passionate" fans will be back.
Well I don't make a judgment on the realness or fakeness of fans. But I do think that the difference between those who come back and those who don't will be a matter of passion.

Old
11-14-2012, 12:47 PM
CH2

I'm done with the NHL. I'll simply watch college hockey. Peace.

Old
11-14-2012, 12:55 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
I'm not saying he's wrong to do it, but when you stop following hockey, you stop being a fan. Even in True Blue's own words:
gotcha.

Old
11-14-2012, 12:57 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Ever since I was young, I've heard that hockey has a "small, but loyal fanbase." And its very true.

To be honest, there are very few casual hockey fans. The percentage of die-hards vs. casual fans has to be split more in hockey than any other sport, despite having a lower cumulative fanbase.

Ill never stop watching hockey, ever. This lockout could go on for 5 years and I'd be right at my TV watching when the puck is dropped again. The league and the players union know what a loyal fanbase they have at their disposal and it has allowed them to treat us like crap for several years now.

Very few of us will stop following hockey. The key is to strangle off the revenue streams these guys have come to count on over the years - those include arena attendance, concessions, merchandise, etc. You can still be a die-hard and go without those things for a while -- its time these guys arguing over our money get taught a lesson.

Old
11-14-2012, 01:02 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

I tell ya what I know a ton of people who watched Ranger games last year that had never given the sport a chance before. They may not be "real fans" but they shouldn't be taken for granted and thrown out the window either.

11-14-2012, 01:26 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Very few of us will stop following hockey.
My opinion off course, but I disagree. I think that the loss of the die-hard fan will be felt. And felt permanently.
Quote:
key is to strangle off the revenue streams
I think that will happen no matter what. From lost fans not spending any money, to jaded fans not spending any money, to loss of sponsors. The NHL is facing it's own fiscal cliff.

Old
11-14-2012, 01:29 PM
ltrangerfan

Few of us, if any will truly give up on the sport. We're not the issue.

I see assumptions on revenues made by the NHL and the pA. The growth is coming from adding fans or drawing in the currently marginal fan to spend more money. The longer the season is on hold the greater the chance that future projections aren't met. Each side is fully aware of the risks. To this point, the calculation has been made that the losses will only be temporary. As Sid Crosby said, everyone will lose if the deadlock doesn't end. My assumption on a half season beginning in January rests on the assumption that revenues have grown reasonably well over the past 7 years and neither side will want to see an interruption in the growth.

We're not in anyone's thought process. The casual fan is far more significant.

Last edited by ltrangerfan: 11-14-2012 at 01:36 PM.
Old
11-14-2012, 01:57 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrangerfan View Post

I see assumptions on revenues made by the NHL and the pA. The growth is coming from adding fans or drawing in the currently marginal fan to spend more money. The longer the season is on hold the greater the chance that future projections aren't met. Each side is fully aware of the risks. To this point, the calculation has been made that the losses will only be temporary. As Sid Crosby said, everyone will lose if the deadlock doesn't end. My assumption on a half season beginning in January rests on the assumption that revenues have grown reasonably well over the past 7 years and neither side will want to see an interruption in the growth.

Giving up on the sport and feeding the league are not the same thing.

Old
11-14-2012, 01:59 PM
Tomas Sandstrom 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrangerfan View Post

There are two things you can do to increase revenue from your customer base:
1. Attract new customers
2. Increase spending from existing customers

Almost always, #1 will result in the greater return

Retail Stores and Car Dealerships know that the most important part of selling your product is "getting people in the door". Prevent them from going to another dealer, supermarket etc. They realize that consumers have options.

I hope that the NHL realizes this too

Old
11-14-2012, 02:04 PM
Riverdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
I tell ya what I know a ton of people who watched Ranger games last year that had never given the sport a chance before. They may not be "real fans" but they shouldn't be taken for granted and thrown out the window either.
Same. For the first time I saw my friends, who normally are into football, watch a lot of hockey. They probably won't come back.

Old
11-14-2012, 02:05 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

I really wish there were an AHL club and an NCAA club in the metro area (other than Army).

There is no high level replacement to the NHL in this area.

Army (West Point) is the only local(ish) high level hockey near enough to attend on a regular basis. And it's not easy to find their games televised.

Oh well.

Old
11-14-2012, 02:06 PM
JDMSG

It seems like, as a fan, if you don't come back then "you are not a real fan", but if you do come back "you are a sucker and are stupid." For me personally all they have to do is put "thank you fans" on the ice and I'll be glad to come back

Old
11-14-2012, 02:14 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMSG View Post
It seems like, as a fan, if you don't come back then "you are not a real fan", but if you do come back "you are a sucker and are stupid." For me personally all they have to do is put "thank you fans" on the ice and I'll be glad to come back
I doubt they'll do that this time. That would just be spoiling us fake fans and suckers.

Old
11-14-2012, 02:21 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
I doubt they'll do that this time. That would just be spoiling us fake fans and suckers.
"Screw you fans" would honest, at least.

Closed Thread