HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off-season Madness the 3rd: Jeffrey Loria taketh and Jeffrey Loria giveth away

Closed Thread

Old
11-14-2012, 12:19 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
I've heard a couple mentions of Jays adding cash. How much money was apart of the trade to Miami?
We get about $4m on top of everything else. Yep, Miami is paying the Jays for the right to give Toronto their best players in exchange for Escobar and Jeff Mathis

Quote:
Also this turf/grass thing always pops up. Are there plans to have grass in the Rogers Center for the start of the 2013 season?
doubtful.

Quote:
Lastly, I like that news of Johnson considering re-inking
as do we all

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
11-14-2012, 12:20 PM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
Tigers agree to sign Torii Hunter to a 2 year deal.

The deal is reportedly worth 26m, pending physical.
Just saw that - Hunter is a great fit for them, but man, $13m per is high. Makes me wonder what Bourn, Victorino and Pagan will get, or what Choo can expect next season. Yikes.

Old
11-14-2012, 12:21 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndMat View Post
Johnson agent told Jeff Blair this morning on Sportsnet Fan590, they'll likely get somehting done early in the season once they see what they've go
Thats Great news right there.
So basically if he likes the city and the feel of the team he'll stick around. That's exactly what you want to see. Hopefully, AA can lay the groundwork for a contract that they can agree upon once JJ decides wether or not he likes the city.

Old
11-14-2012, 12:22 PM
Lebanese Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokil View Post
that and the CN tower, there's got to be something that can be done to make concrete look better...right? Some sort of coating? Or are we destined to look like some crumbling Soviet city
CN tower is fine. The light show it does at night is a great look. It simply isn't feasible to paint one of the world's tallest structures entirely, so I don't think there's much you can do as far as coating.

But something can definitely be done to revitalize the Rogers Centre. I personally hate the name too, it'll always be the Skydome to me. At the very least, Rogers should have just added their name to Skydome, sort of how the Calgary Saddle dome is the "Scotiabank Saddledome."

Old
11-14-2012, 12:25 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Jones View Post
Just saw that - Hunter is a great fit for them, but man, $13m per is high. Makes me wonder what Bourn, Victorino and Pagan will get, or what Choo can expect next season. Yikes.
I think it was Pagan I read was looking for 100 million deal. Market is getting crazier every year.

Old
11-14-2012, 12:25 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
meaning we expect Johnson to have his contract extended by AA at that time ?
His agent said that the Yankees and Red Sox would pay a ransom for his client, and that A.A. would have to listen. Or you can have him for a year or get what you can get now because he's walking after this year. Let the dealings continue.

Old
11-14-2012, 12:26 PM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndMat View Post
Johnson agent told Jeff Blair this morning on Sportsnet Fan590, they'll likely get somehting done early in the season once they see what they've go
Thats Great news right there.
Quoting this because that's terrific to hear and it might get lost in this exploding thread. (Of course, one must always be cautious of putting too much stock into what an agent says, but still, it's a good start to the tone of the relationship.)

Old
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
We get about $4m on top of everything else. Yep, Miami is paying the Jays for the right to give Toronto their best players in exchange for Escobar and Jeff Mathis

doubtful.

as do we all
I read on mlbtr yesterday. At least I believe it was there that I think it's Buehrle has a 4 million signing bonus that is interest free which I guess means he gets it at the end of his deal? Which seems odd but anyway when I saw that 4 million figure that's what I figured it was for. Unless that's a buyout option on the last year of his deal.

Old
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 3259
Quote:

doubtful.

as do we all

Too lazy to type out word responses (but I will type out that I'm to lazy to type out responses)

Old
11-14-2012, 12:29 PM
jcollins
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Yeah. Either we roll with:

Santos
Janssen
Delabar
Oliver
Rogers
Lincoln
Loup

or:

Santos
Janssen
Delabar
Loup
Rogers
Lincoln
Cecil

Also consider this: If we get into the playoffs and can go with a 3-man rotation, we can ride Johnson-Morrow-Buehrle.

awesome.
I think Jeffress will be given every chance to take a spot in ST. He would have to walk a ton of guys to not make it I think. Unless another move comes.

Old
11-14-2012, 12:33 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Since Jeffrey Loria is clearly high, clinically insane, or some kind of disturbed masochist in order for this deal to happen, maybe Anthopoulos should pick the phone up again and put an offer of Buck and JP on the table for Gio Stanton. I mean, it doesn't seem any less outlandish than what just happened, does it?

Old
11-14-2012, 12:34 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

so johnson will want out? based on the chat

Quote:
Heard Johnson agent say Jays might not be his last time what do u see happening
Quote:
Heard that, wouldn't be shocked, but hope that's not the case. We haven't had a stud #1 since Halladay defected.by Scott Carson 1:26 PM

Old
11-14-2012, 12:35 PM
Transplanted Caper

Johnson's agent, a more complete synopsis from DJF:

http://blogs.thescore.com/djf/2012/1...ld-be-flipped/

Old
11-14-2012, 12:35 PM
mrburke

This is the quote from the agent

“I feel like there has to be another piece to this trade. I’ve got to imagine that the players that Alex acquired have to be in play– it’s a lot of money he took on in salary in one shot. And there are so many teams that are interested in Josh Johnson that if the Yankees or Texas or some of these teams looking for a frontline starter wanted to give up a tonne, it would seem like it would be against the way that Alex normally does business to not listen and make a trade if he could acquire a bunch of top prospects for one of the players in this deal.”

http://blogs.thescore.com/djf/2012/1...ed/#more-10690

Old
11-14-2012, 12:38 PM
ACC1224
Steelers 3 - 3

Is there no such a thing as a NTC in Baseball?

Old
11-14-2012, 12:38 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanese Leaf View Post
CN tower is fine. The light show it does at night is a great look. It simply isn't feasible to paint one of the world's tallest structures entirely, so I don't think there's much you can do as far as coating.

But something can definitely be done to revitalize the Rogers Centre. I personally hate the name too, it'll always be the Skydome to me. At the very least, Rogers should have just added their name to Skydome, sort of how the Calgary Saddle dome is the "Scotiabank Saddledome."
don't see why it's not feasible.

yeah, it looks great at night but during the day it's an eyesore.

(and yeah, Rogers Skydome should have been the name, can't believe a petition didn't happen, "centre" is the worst word in the world IMO)

Old
11-14-2012, 12:39 PM
ACC1224
Steelers 3 - 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrburke View Post

“I feel like there has to be another piece to this trade. I’ve got to imagine that the players that Alex acquired have to be in play– it’s a lot of money he took on in salary in one shot. And there are so many teams that are interested in Josh Johnson that if the Yankees or Texas or some of these teams looking for a frontline starter wanted to give up a tonne, it would seem like it would be against the way that Alex normally does business to not listen and make a trade if he could acquire a bunch of top prospects for one of the players in this deal.”

If that were the case wouldn't it have made more sense for the Marlins to move him themselves?

Old
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
How I would proceed.
Trade for Justin Upton (Arencibia + prospects).
Swap Buehrle with the Cubs for Garza.
Sign Raul Ibanez for DH.
Sign Jeremy Guthrie as 5th starter.
Hire Sandy Alomar Jr.

Reyes SS
Upton LF
Bautista RF
EE 1B
Lawrie 3B
Ibanez DH
Rasmus CF
Buck/D'Arnaud C
Bonifacio/Izturis 2B

JJ
Morrow
Garza
Romero
Guthrie

Arizona wants a shortstop, so barring a three-way the Jays are now out of any Upton talks.

Buehrle is great as a #3 starter, no need to swap him for Garza (unless he really is going to be upset over the Pit Bull ban...).

Bonifacio is a much better hitter than you'd expect to see batting ninth - it's his defensive limitations (especially in the infield) that keep him from being a lock for a starting role. Even so, I can see him as the starting LF. I think people will be pleasantly surprised when they see what we got in him.

Ibanez... he certainly came up big in a couple of games this post-season, but the Jays already acquired a platoon mate for Lind at the DH spot by picking up Buck. The numbers between them should be pretty respectable for the position, and won't cost any more assets or cash.

I admit I do still very much want a big LH bat, but with a payroll hovering just under $120 million, I don't know how much more room Anthopolous can possibly have to add.

Guthrie... again, it depends how much money Anthopolous has to work with. I'm perfectly content with Happ as the fifth starter, but I'd like them to have a swingman under contract that they can look to for long relief/spot starts (basically what Villanueva provided last year). Unless a controllable guy like Ogando comes back in an Arencibia trade, I can see waiting until Februrary to see what arms are still available on the FA market (like a Scott Feldman?), as asking prices typically go down after New Year's and we'd want to get somebody on the cheap if at all possible.

Old
Drop The Mits
Toronto Blue Dingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplanted Caper View Post
Johnson's agent, a more complete synopsis from DJF:

http://blogs.thescore.com/djf/2012/1...ld-be-flipped/
Sounds like the Jays are far from done. Whether it be dealing Johnson to another team for King's Ransom or one of the catcher's, something has to give. All I can say is I am PUMPED for this off season, and upcoming season (& playoffs )

Old
11-14-2012, 12:40 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
Is there no such a thing as a NTC in Baseball?
there are, and they are very prevalent

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrburke View Post

i really doubt that restocking the farm is a priority at this point, nor would trading with the yankees be even a thought

Old
11-14-2012, 12:40 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanese Leaf View Post
Fun fact I just heard on the radio:

The Vegas odds for the Jays to win the 2013 World Series were 100-1 yesterday before the trade. After the trade: 15-1.
Quote:
Bill Shaikin@BillShaikin
#BlueJays odds of winning World Series: 100-1 yesterday, 15-1 today, per pregame.com.
I thought it was a joke, I mean I can't even begin to find the odds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
How I would proceed.
Trade for Justin Upton (Arencibia + prospects).
Swap Buehrle with the Cubs for Garza.
Sign Raul Ibanez for DH.
Sign Jeremy Guthrie as 5th starter.
Hire Sandy Alomar Jr.
I don't see the DBacks asking for another catcher, considering they already re-upped Montero to a big contract. They're biggest needs I believe are shortstop and 3rd base, while we don't really have the assets to strike a deal for him. Plus LF can be patched up internally.

The Buehrle for Garza swap I wouldn't do, mostly because Garza suffered an injury at the end of the season, and doesn't come with much control like Buehrle does. Why trade away consistency for a question mark?

Raul could work, although I think his only suitor is the Yankees, but of course I could be wrong.

Guthrie has had success in the AL, but I'm not sure what this means for Happ. If you remember last year upon acquiring Happ, he was pretty brutal as that swingman in the pen, but when he started he showed he can be more than suitable in the #5 spot.

I have to think Sandy likes the thought of managing the Jays now, but I believe Francona has his eyes set on him returning as his assistant. I have absolutely no idea who'll be the manager now, but I'm still hoping for Tim Wallach.
Quote:
I've heard a couple mentions of Jays adding cash. How much money was apart of the trade to Miami?

Also this turf/grass thing always pops up. Are there plans to have grass in the Rogers Center for the start of the 2013 season?

What's the timeline of putting grass in? I'm not sure if they need to have a long preparation before inserting the field or if they can just do it like that. But I really hope the Jays take that ****** turf out soon. May also prove to be an asset for the Argos too.

Old
11-14-2012, 12:41 PM
Drop The Mits
Toronto Blue Dingers

Quote:
don't see why it's not feasible.

yeah, it looks great at night but during the day it's an eyesore.

(and yeah, Rogers Skydome should have been the name, can't believe a petition didn't happen, "centre" is the worst word in the world IMO)
the CN tower is FAR from an eyesore, I have no idea what you're talking about

Old
11-14-2012, 12:45 PM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Quote:

Those references were to the Jays adding so much payroll; Florida actually sends $4 million in cash to Toronto in the deal.

Regarding turf/grass, we'll see what Beeston has to say about it in the season ticket holders' meeting in January - this past winter he said it was something they'd been exploring but that they weren't expecting to be moving forward with anything in the forseeable future. IIRC, the Argo's lease is up this spring, but that still leaves a couple of years of useless Bills exhibition games to have to put up with. It's galling to think that because of Rogers' ridiculous play for NFL relevence that we might be stuck with turf during the Jays' best competitive seasons in 20 years.

Old
11-14-2012, 12:46 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop The Mits View Post
the CN tower is FAR from an eyesore, I have no idea what you're talking about
it looks like the corner of a parking garage that someone peed on

edit: scratch that, it looks like it has an STD

Old
11-14-2012, 12:47 PM
Everlong
-

Quote:
it looks like the corner of a parking garage that someone peed on
What in the world are you talking about?

Although the skydome by itself is a little outdated. The addition of the scenic CN tower hovering above you while sitting in the stands in pretty amazing. I think some people are forgetting what we have.

Closed Thread