HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Insider Jacobs: scheduled Romney use of TD Gardens on election night b4 game cancel'd

Old
11-14-2012, 10:30 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
Insider Jacobs: scheduled Romney use of TD Gardens on election night b4 game cancel'd

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...1331--nhl.html

Quote:
You see, Election Day in the U.S. was Nov. 6. Also scheduled for that date, for most of the calendar year: The Boston Bruins' home game against the Minnesota Wild that evening.
In fact, if the owners' Oct. 16 offer to end the NHL lockout and salvage an 82-game season had gone through, the game versus the Wild would have become the Bruins' home opener.
Of course, the lockout wasn't settled. The game was cancelled on Oct. 26, when the League officially pulled the plug on its November schedule.
None of these scenarios mattered to Boston Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs. Because he already had alternate plans for the building on Election Night.
The Romney campaign told staff and volunteers they would be working from TD Garden on Election Day as early as Oct. 22, when the space was mentioned on a training call. According to a volunteer who was on the Oct. 22 call, Romney's Deputy Political Director Dan Centinello pointed to the TD Garden as the war room location.
This is four days after the NHL rejected the NHLPA's trio of counter-offers, but also four days before the NHL closed the books on playing games on this date.
This seems like not negotiating in good faith to me.

MOD NOTE: The BOH is not the place to discuss politics (so no Obama/Romney praise/bashing). Keep it focused on Jacobs and his insider knowledge.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 10:43 AM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

vCash: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilky01 View Post
I find the fact that the Raptors played a game at the ACC on the Saturday night before the HHOF induction ceremony to also be kind of suspicious.
why? the nba had there schedule out months before the nhl even decided they were going to have a lockout. meaning the raptors were going to be playing in the acc on saturday night no matter of the lockout being over, or it being on.

Barrie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 10:45 AM
ottawah

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post

MOD NOTE: The BOH is not the place to discuss politics (so no Obama/Romney praise/bashing). Keep it focused on Jacobs and his insider knowledge.
One questions I'd ask before passing judgement.

"In fact, if the owners' Oct. 16 offer to end the NHL lockout and salvage an 82-game season had gone through, the game versus the Wild would have become the Bruins' home opener."

Is this in fact true? It is obvious that to do an 82 game schedule, some schedules would have had to be changed. Obviously games on the original slate were going to have to be moved around. I'm not sure you can just take the first game that would have been on a certain date and say for sure it would have been played.

But overall I think its more an issue for the league to deal with if they had explicitly told owners to keep those dates open and they booked it.

Personally I think its more of a case of Jacobs breaking (or bending) an internal rule based upon the fact he was close enough to negotiations to know there was no chance.

ottawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 10:47 AM
Ari91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilky01 View Post
I find the fact that the Raptors played a game at the ACC on the Saturday night before the HHOF induction ceremony to also be kind of suspicious.
Why? It was a part of the original schedule. The Raptors were always scheduled to play on Nov. 10th at 7pm at the ACC. The Leafs were originally schedule to play an away game in Washington that night.

As for Jacobs, considering he's very close to the negotiation process, I'm not the least bit surprised that he would do that. I don't think Jacobs gives a rats ass what anyone may think of him.

Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 10:49 AM
yotesreign

Best line in that article?

Quote:
Ars Technica describes some of the other technical problems Project Orca had as a result, but here's all you need to know: In the end, the operation was described by one Orca user as a "huge cluster[Gretzky]".
MOD

Last edited by Fugu: 11-14-2012 at 12:07 PM. Reason: generalizing
yotesreign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 10:52 AM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:

or just logical arena planning.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 10:52 AM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
I don't think it has anything to do with negotiating in good faith. If by some miracle the season would have been saved it would have been a logistical problem that had to be solved.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 10:53 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawah View Post
One questions I'd ask before passing judgement.

"In fact, if the owners' Oct. 16 offer to end the NHL lockout and salvage an 82-game season had gone through, the game versus the Wild would have become the Bruins' home opener."

Is this in fact true? It is obvious that to do an 82 game schedule, some schedules would have had to be changed. Obviously games on the original slate were going to have to be moved around. I'm not sure you can just take the first game that would have been on a certain date and say for sure it would have been played.

But overall I think its more an issue for the league to deal with if they had explicitly told owners to keep those dates open and they booked it.

Personally I think its more of a case of Jacobs breaking (or bending) an internal rule based upon the fact he was close enough to negotiations to know there was no chance.
Yes, that game would have been played. (NHL would have "added" about one game every five weeks to make up for the games missed in October.)

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 11:00 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 574
Who cares. There was no one on planet Earth that felt there would be an agreement done by ther 26th of Oct on the 22nd of October. So a date was filled in an empty arena.

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 11:09 AM
yotesreign

Quote:
Yes, that game would have been played. (NHL would have "added" about one game every five weeks to make up for the games missed in October.)
No guarantee they would have played it on that date, but either way, it means nothing but a good laugh. On the day the league announced the cancellation of those dates, if instead the league had announced a deal with the players and that they intended to play the games scheduled on that date on that date, other arrangements would have been made to either move Mitt or the game, and it would not been some kind of horrific logistical nightmare or be seen as the nefarious subplot others might try and blow it into.

I get that reporters have to write about something, and better they write about Romney and the TD Garden than write about something else, if only to get that phrase "cluster[Gretzky]" into print again.

cheswick wrote:

Quote:
Who cares. There was no one on planet Earth that felt there would be an agreement done by ther 26th of Oct on the 22nd of October. So a date was filled in an empty arena.

+1

yotesreign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 11:38 AM
powerstuck
User Registered

Wasn't Romney's speech done from Boston Convention Center and not TD Garden ? I remember live reporters hours before speech talk that it was there.

Maybe they just used some parts of the TD Garden (which is huge btw) and not the actual ice/play-field area.

powerstuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 11:42 AM
Ari91

Wait a second, I just the article in full - the article says that the dates at TD were tentatively booked because owners were unsure of what would happen with the lockout. Romney said to prepare for work at the area before the November games were officially cancelled but then goes on to say that when confirmation was actually given to Romney is unknown. So this entire article is based on speculation of their best guess of what transpired?

Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 11:54 AM
zytz
lumberjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCrazed101 View Post
Wait a second, I just the article in full - the article says that the dates at TD were tentatively booked because owners were unsure of what would happen with the lockout. Romney said to prepare for work at the area before the November games were officially cancelled but then goes on to say that when confirmation was actually given to Romney is unknown. So this entire article is based on speculation of their best guess of what transpired?
Nope it's because the owners are unilaterally bad people who's ever move is a secret stab at the NHLPA.

It is known.

zytz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 12:05 PM
DL44

vCash: 133
Yeah.. not enough details to jump to the conclusion that negotiations are in bad faith.
Quite the PA spin.

a- would the original schedule been utilized with extra games packed in and around it - unknown and unlikely.
b- no info on when confirmation to use the stadium was given.

DL44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 12:16 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
I don't think it has anything to do with negotiating in good faith. If by some miracle the season would have been saved it would have been a logistical problem that had to be solved.
That's pretty much the way I see it.

Players were signing contracts with European teams long before games were cancelled, just in case they needed a place to play this fall. Negotiating in bad faith? No, just making a Plan B with the understanding there might be conflicts to sort out later.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 12:34 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Quote:

Guy #1: Sell you this car for $10k, but you need to let me know by Friday

Guy #2: No, but I'll buy your van for $600

Guy #1: I'm not talking about the van, for any price, let alone that one. Car for $10k, no discussion, let me know by Friday.

Guy #2: I'll let you know now, don't want it.

Hour later
Guy #3: You sell that car yet?

Guy #1: Nope.

Guy #3: Can I borrow it for a day.

Guy #1 Sure.

The above exchange is not an example of bad faith negotiation.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 01:10 PM
Lost Horizons
Crying Waiting Hopin

The Garden was used as the site of the DNC convention in 2004. Also Jacobs has given a ton the Dems over the years including Edwards and Kerry so all this is to do about nothing. It's just Jacobs putting his privately owned building to work.

Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 01:54 PM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
The Garden was used as the site of the DNC convention in 2004. Also Jacobs has given a ton the Dems over the years including Edwards and Kerry so all this is to do about nothing. It's just Jacobs putting his privately owned building to work.
Not the point....

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 01:58 PM
Lacaar

Quote:

This seems like grasping at straws to me. Both the article and the poster.

Lacaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 02:23 PM
Lost Horizons
Crying Waiting Hopin

Quote:
Originally Posted by superroyain10 View Post
Not the point....
I was pointing out that politics wasn't involved. Also I don't think the event (not really an event just a large get out the vote thing using only the floor of the Garden) was moved to the Garden until after the first games were cancelled. I don't think they were/are going to just pick up the schedule at whatever start date they set so once the first games got tossed the whole schedule was tossed. So if they announced in mid oct a deal was done a new 82 game schedule was to be announced therefore there would there would be no conflict so once the first games went JJ rented out his building.

Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote