HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Dougie Hamilton vs Morgan Rielly

View Poll Results: Who would you take?
Dougie Hamilton 317 64.17%
Morgan Rielly 139 28.14%
too close to call 38 7.69%
Voters: 494. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-14-2012, 09:59 AM
Atomos2
Attitude problems

vCash: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
EDIT: ahh! Messed up the quote but whatever

I voted before I read the OP. Also, to be honest, 90% of the people that voted Dougie I doubt have seen more than 3-5 games from him. Seeing these "wouldn't trade him for any NHL prospect" or those Chara comparisons, it's all just brutal. Not to mention people are saying they are equal in terms of offense... It's like... Do they even watch the games?

I thought someone else in this thread described it perfectly. When watching Dougie in a game you often think "Wow, he got an assist on that?" And when watching Rielly it is more "Wow, how did he not get an assist on that?" because Rielly is usually creating all these opportunities. Rielly is everything for Moose Jaw. He created most of their scoring opportunities and controls the game. He has no one good on his team either, while Dougie (I've said this months and months back) is more of a complimentary guy. He doesn't control the game and create the pure offensive chances that Morgan Rielly does. That's not a ba thing at all. It's just an observation.

I break it down like this:

Reilly's advantages:

Speed
Agility
Passing
Vision
Hockey IQ
Puck Skills

Then we have Dougie's advantages:

Size
Strength
Physicality
Shot

So it comes down to what you prefer. I happen to love smart and dynamic players. So I'll always lean towards the smarter guy with a terrific skillset.
I agree with everything you've said but would only probably add that Hamilton has some pretty good puck skills too. He has some pretty good offensive instincts too. I just wish I could see Rielly on the Niagara Ice dogs cuz something tells me he would have a lot more points than he does right now. Rielly has the ability to adapt and be successful in any situation despite the team he's on or the game he's in. I'm not sure about Hamilton, but I know that with him, he can be the best player on an elite team. So it is really hard to make an accurate judgement on both

Atomos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 10:00 AM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gifted88 View Post
I like Rielly's hockey IQ but not sure if that is enough for me to pick him over Hamilton.

Voted too close, probably leaning towards Dougie though.
Think this sums it up well for me.

I also think Dougie will take longer to develop because hes kinda lanky at this point. I see Rielly making a big splash early on in his career whereas with Hamilton there will be a learning curve.

Tim Vezina Thomas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 10:01 AM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:

I voted before I read the OP. Also, to be honest, 90% of the people that voted Dougie I doubt have seen more than 3-5 games from him. Seeing these "wouldn't trade him for any NHL prospect" or those Chara comparisons, it's all just brutal. Not to mention people are saying they are equal in terms of offense... It's like... Do they even watch the games?

I thought someone else in this thread described it perfectly. When watching Dougie in a game you often think "Wow, he got an assist on that?" And when watching Rielly it is more "Wow, how did he not get an assist on that?" because Rielly is usually creating all these opportunities. Rielly is everything for Moose Jaw. He created most of their scoring opportunities and controls the game. He has no one good on his team either, while Dougie (I've said this months and months back) is more of a complimentary guy. He doesn't control the game and create the pure offensive chances that Morgan Rielly does. That's not a ba thing at all. It's just an observation.

Reilly's advantages:

Speed
Agility
Passing
Vision
Hockey IQ
Puck Skills

Size
Strength
Physicality
Shot

So it comes down to what you prefer. I happen to love smart and dynamic players. So I'll always lean towards the smarter guy with a terrific skillset.
Sounds a lot like Cody Franson

Old
11-14-2012, 10:04 AM
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I know you probably mean hockey IQ, but Dougie Hamilton did have a 94% average in Grade 12; so I wouldn't necessarily equate him to a beast without a brain.

Oh, and winning Scholastic Player of the Year in the O is a good call:

Boyes, Brown, Stamkos, Duchene, Gudbranson, Hamilton...

Gobias Industries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 10:07 AM
Atomos2
Attitude problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Vezina Thomas View Post
Think this sums it up well for me.

I also think Dougie will take longer to develop because hes kinda lanky at this point. I see Rielly making a big splash early on in his career whereas with Hamilton there will be a learning curve.
This makes sense for me. Also depends on team success. I'd say Hamilton might be a little better off in Boston than Rielly in Toronto. It could be a similar situation to Hall and Seguin. Let's just hope Toronto gets back on track

Old
11-14-2012, 10:10 AM
Ludicrous Speed

Not to de-rail the thread, but where would you guys rank Murray along with these two? I think it's safe to say they will all have similar amounts of impact on their respective clubs, just in different ways. IMO they're probably the three most comparable defensive prospects in terms of value.

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 10:18 AM
Kulemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos2 View Post
I agree with everything you've said but would only probably add that Hamilton has some pretty good puck skills too. He has some pretty good offensive instincts too. I just wish I could see Rielly on the Niagara Ice dogs cuz something tells me he would have a lot more points than he does right now. Rielly has the ability to adapt and be successful in any situation despite the team he's on or the game he's in. I'm not sure about Hamilton, but I know that with him, he can be the best player on an elite team. So it is really hard to make an accurate judgement on both

Oh he definitely has some puck skills. I was just listing the advantages.

Kulemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 10:21 AM
Kulemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobias Industries View Post
I know you probably mean hockey IQ, but Dougie Hamilton did have a 94% average in Grade 12; so I wouldn't necessarily equate him to a beast without a brain.

Oh, and winning Scholastic Player of the Year in the O is a good call:

Boyes, Brown, Stamkos, Duchene, Gudbranson, Hamilton...
Yeah I was talking about hockey IQ. He is a terrific kid though.

Old
11-14-2012, 10:48 AM
"Craigs on it"

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludicrous Speed View Post
Not to de-rail the thread, but where would you guys rank Murray along with these two? I think it's safe to say they will all have similar amounts of impact on their respective clubs, just in different ways. IMO they're probably the three most comparable defensive prospects in terms of value.
Hamilton
Murray
Reilly

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 10:50 AM
"Craigs on it"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos2 View Post
Niagara is awful if it were not for Strome, Hamilton, and Ritchie. Hamilton is still the best player on the team.

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 10:53 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 1500
Hamilton for me, but it's closer than these poll results suggest.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 11:06 AM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Hamilton, hands down.

SprootsMasterFlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 11:10 AM
tony d
Come along, Bort.

Dougie Hamilton.

11-14-2012, 11:23 AM
topchowda

Quote:
If you think Hamilton and Rielly is a toss up offensively.... You're doing it wrong. Maybe in stats but if you watch them play its really a no brainer.

Hamilton's hockey IQ has always been very questionable for me. It's really noticeable in the defensive zone. I voted Rielly (although I read the OP first so I probably shouldn't have voted) because of his offensive ability, skating, vision, talent, and hockey IQ.
Homers gunna homer

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 11:25 AM
topchowda

Quote:

Reilly's advantages:

Speed
Agility
Passing
Vision
Hockey IQ
Puck Skills

Size
Strength
Physicality
Shot

Sounds like Reilly would be a better forward. Hamilton has better defensive zone play, which is important because thats were they spent more of the game and they are defenseman

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 11:49 AM
Kezia
Benny

Hamilton easily

Kezia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 11:56 AM
Atomos2
Attitude problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
Niagara is awful if it were not for Strome, Hamilton, and Ritchie. Hamilton is still the best player on the team.
I can do you one better. Moosejaw is awful if it were not for Rielly. Ritchie and Strome are both elite offensive forces who can create their own chances out of nothing. Obviously Hamilton is the best on the team, but Strome definitely makes it easier for Hamilton to produce points. Ritchie does as well.

Rielly doesn't have that luxary

Old
11-14-2012, 11:59 AM
CanadiensforLife

BTW Fearless Leaf, this is OT but where is your Habs avatar of Gally you said you'd have for one year?

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...1171169&page=6 post #129

CanadiensforLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 12:39 PM
nmbr_24

Hamilton for sure so far.

nmbr_24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 12:42 PM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadiensforLife View Post
BTW Fearless Leaf, this is OT but where is your Habs avatar of Gally you said you'd have for one year?

It looks like he lied to you guys.

nmbr_24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 12:58 PM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadiensforLife View Post

Haha interesting.

Old
11-14-2012, 01:15 PM
WarriorofTime

Leaf fans: Rielly by a lot.

Everyone else: Hamilton

I wonder why that is.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 01:19 PM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post

I wonder why that is.
I don't think its everyone, but it seems to be the vast majority!

Old
11-14-2012, 01:21 PM
Kulemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Homers gunna homer
How can you say I'm a homer? I'm present my argument in detail and supporting it with what I have observed from the two players so far. I've also seen a lot more of Dougie than Rielly. All I'm saying is that I prefer a smart player that is dynamic. It's my favourite type of player and those players usually have success. I'm not denying that Dougie is talented or capable of playing good defense. Just saying that I find his hockey sense questionable at times.

Old
11-14-2012, 02:16 PM
Atomos2
Attitude problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post

I wonder why that is.
Age, Experience and the fact that Hamilton was CHL defenceman of the year has a lot to do with it. Plus Hamilton was on the world jr team, which is an added benefit. He's more accomplished. I've seen Hamilton play many teams and tbh they are both effective in what they do, so the poll is closer than what some think. Rielly is also fairly new to the star attention scene so lack of knowledge about him probably has something to do with it too.