HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Sens survey on how to bring back fans

Old
11-13-2012, 12:45 PM
Aleks

vCash: 500
Sens survey on how to bring back fans

Quote:
As you are most likely aware, the National Hockey League and the National Hockey League Players’ Association are negotiating a new Collective Bargaining Agreement which has delayed the beginning of the Ottawa Senators season. Despite this reality, we continue to value your ongoing support of the Senators and remain hopeful a new agreement can be reached as soon as possible so that we can get back to watching the world’s greatest game with the world’s greatest fans...
I got this request for a survey from the Sens yesterday. They said they sent it out to all who previously purchased Sens tickets.

I've now noticed it's starting to be mentioned in various news outlets.

Some of their proposed methods for bringing fans back:

- Availability of the Metro Family 4 Packs, consisting of 4 tickets, 4 hotdogs and 4 drinks for $99 (Only $24.75 per person including tax)
- Buy one ticket and get another ticket for free (2 for 1)
- Receive 30% off all concessions on game day (food & beverage)
- Receive a free parking voucher with every purchase

I was very clear in my answers that other than watching the games on TV this year, I'm not spending a single dollar on merchandise or tickets. I used to go see a dozen games a year, bought 2 Authentic jerseys in the past 3 years... Various hats and shirts too.

I'm still a diehard Sens fan but will not be spending any of my money on them this year. To me it's not about getting free parking or saving a few $'s here and there while at a game. If I cared about saving $11 by getting free parking, I wouldn't be drinking $12 beers while there.

What did you think about the plans to bring back fans mentioned in the survey? Would any of them convince you?

Aleks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 12:58 PM
JonnyMacSen
Divide and Conacher

I like the buy one get one free option.

The first week back should be free to the public, or at least STH.

JonnyMacSen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 01:03 PM
MainDotC
Depth Defenceman

Send a message via AIM to MainDotC Send a message via Yahoo to MainDotC Send a message via Skype™ to MainDotC
Tell them cash only or no deal.

MainDotC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 01:56 PM
Jerk Store
Classless

Well, the organization is just as much, if not more, victims of this lockout as we are. I do agree that some sort of slap on the wrist is required by the fans league wide, but it's nice that they are asking fans what they prefer. Much better than the "we have the best fans, they'll come back regardless" comments from the commish.

Jerk Store is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 02:07 PM
jbeck5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerk Store View Post
Well, the organization is just as much, if not more, victims of this lockout as we are. I do agree that some sort of slap on the wrist is required by the fans league wide, but it's nice that they are asking fans what they prefer. Much better than the "we have the best fans, they'll come back regardless" comments from the commish.
This right here. I don't want to hurt this team's chance of success. I love this team. Even if melnyk didn't want a lockout(which he probably doesn't at this point), it wouldn't make a difference, so why hurt him and the senators? makes no sense.

jbeck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 02:11 PM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerk Store View Post
Any other words you want to put into Gary's mouth?

Quotation marks imply a quote. Considering he didn't say anything close to that, you're misusing quotation marks.

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 02:45 PM
Indy on the Road
From the ground up

The way I feel today, I'll have a very hard time putting any money into any form of hockey related revenue once the lockout is over. It doesn't matter what kind of 'deal' they are offering.

Indy on the Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 03:41 PM
Melnyks Mirage
We are what we are.

vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
- Availability of the Metro Family 4 Packs, consisting of 4 tickets, 4 hotdogs and 4 drinks for $99 (Only $24.75 per person including tax)
- Buy one ticket and get another ticket for free (2 for 1)
- Receive 30% off all concessions on game day (food & beverage)
- Receive a free parking voucher with every purchase
I got this too.
We already have the 2 for 1 thing, circuitously, in that you sometimes need to take a ticket to a "Bronze" (or however they rate them) game when you buy a prime ticket. Free parking IS enticing though.

Overall, I agree with the OP that I'm probably not spending much this year, if at all.
At the moment the farm team is more exciting than the big club. I might go to a game or two if I can mooch off the office pool, if only to see what might be Daniel Alfredsson's last season, but I don't know how long I can throw good money after a borderline playoff team. I am going to need to see some progression in the standings to get some cashflow on a regular basis.

Melnyks Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 04:02 PM
SenatorsHockey
Sweet hockey body

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa Senators Fan View Post
The way I feel today, I'll have a very hard time putting any money into any form of hockey related revenue once the lockout is over. It doesn't matter what kind of 'deal' they are offering.
Same here. Whenever the lockout is over, I'm still going to watch as many Sens games as I possibly can but I definitely won't be spending money on the NHL brand (tickets and merch) for at least a season. While I agree with the notion that Melnyk is not a hardliner on the owner's side, I feel that it's important to exercise the one and only power we fans hold: money. I personally feel like it's the only way I can make a difference to get the NHL + NHLPA realize that this can't happen everytime the CBA expires.

SenatorsHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 04:09 PM
SilverSeven

I already get free parking as a loyalty 10+year STH perk, so that means nothing to me. The concessions one is the best offer in my eyes. 30% off at the Sens Store doesnt mean a whole lot, as STH get 20% off anyway, and 30% sales are offered at Christmas and years end.

Id like to have some gift certificates for the restaurants there. Or you know, some of the thousands of dollars Ive already paid them back, instead of collecting interest in their bank account.

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 04:40 PM
Jerk Store
Classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Aki Berg View Post
Any other words you want to put into Gary's mouth?

Quotation marks imply a quote. Considering he didn't say anything close to that, you're misusing quotation marks.

You're welcome.

Jerk Store is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 05:18 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

vCash: 265
I can't wait to win tickets to blue rodeo.....

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 12:01 PM
tony d
Thanks for memories

I think they should offer 2 free tickets to all their season ticket holders and also the first game of the season should be free for anyone who wants to attend.

11-14-2012, 12:30 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 2391
Free games would be hard to pull off. You'd need some form of random draw where everyone gets a 'fair' shot at tickets. You can't just do 'first-come-first-serve' without needing mass crowd control at SBP and at all Sens Store locations.

11-14-2012, 12:34 PM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

Surely the best answer would be this...

Icing a highly competitive, successful team...

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 01:16 PM
Smash88

vCash: 50
Yeah it can't be free games... I picked the parking option only because I've only been STH for 2 years (this would be my 3rd) so I still don't get free parking, and It's annoying as hell to always remember to bring cash for parking...

Smash88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 01:36 PM
SilverSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash88 View Post
Yeah it can't be free games... I picked the parking option only because I've only been STH for 2 years (this would be my 3rd) so I still don't get free parking, and It's annoying as hell to always remember to bring cash for parking...
Why dont you just buy passes with your package? Thats what I used to do. Saved $1 each game, parking was rolled into my monthly payments, and I kept the parking passes with my tickets, so I never forgot them.

Old
11-14-2012, 02:09 PM
Smash88

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSeven View Post
Why dont you just buy passes with your package? Thats what I used to do. Saved $1 each game, parking was rolled into my monthly payments, and I kept the parking passes with my tickets, so I never forgot them.
Yeah, that would be the smart thing to do...

I'll look into adding it next season..

Smash88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 08:09 AM
Rocket Richard
Proud Canadian!!!!!

We all know, once it starts up again, people will flock back to see them.

Your only fooling yourself if you think you are going to keep boycotting them when they come back!

Rocket Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 08:16 AM
ARed

It's a sticky situation. I think they should be charging for every seat, our Ottawa Senators still need money...

BUT tickets are waayyyy too expensive. They have to come down.

I don't know about anyone else, but even though I'm a total diehard fan, I absolutely refuse to go to a Sens game or buy any sens gear until at least '12-'13. If there isn't hockey by then, then man....I don't know what I'll do haha.

ARed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 09:30 AM
SilverSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARed View Post
It's a sticky situation. I think they should be charging for every seat, our Ottawa Senators still need money...

BUT tickets are waayyyy too expensive. They have to come down.

I don't know about anyone else, but even though I'm a total diehard fan, I absolutely refuse to go to a Sens game or buy any sens gear until at least '12-'13. If there isn't hockey by then, then man....I don't know what I'll do haha.
Its really not that expensive. $2059 is what I pay for 2 tickets to all 41 home games. That includes tax and parking. 1st row of the cheapest seats....which is halfway down the 300s.

Works out to $25 a ticket a game. Not too bad IMO.

Old
11-15-2012, 09:37 AM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 2391
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSeven View Post
Its really not that expensive. $2059 is what I pay for 2 tickets to all 41 home games. That includes tax and parking. 1st row of the cheapest seats....which is halfway down the 300s.

Works out to $25 a ticket a game. Not too bad IMO.
$2k is a large financial commitment for a lot of people. If you don't want to drop a huge sum, the alternative is to buy multi-game packs, which run you two to three times as much per ticket.

CanadianHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 09:54 AM
SilverSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
$2k is a large financial commitment for a lot of people. If you don't want to drop a huge sum, the alternative is to buy multi-game packs, which run you two to three times as much per ticket.
Oh I know, its a huge commitment for me.

On monthly payments its less than my cellphone though

This is my first season as a full season, I have always been half. That was 1500. I split with a friend and paid $750 for 21 tickets. Not too bad, especially when broken into monthly payments. There are also TONS of promos throughout the years that give people tickets for less than STHs pay. You can get to a Sens game for less than $25 a ticket.

Old
11-15-2012, 10:39 AM
WantEggRoll

vCash: 177
Bring back the Spartan and have him performance before every single game. Then bring in that "Let me hear you!" chick for the anthem and I don't think you'll have attendance issues lock out or no.

WantEggRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 11:02 AM
jordan7hm

If there is a partial season, I will consider buying tickets or merch again. Giving stuff away is great but honestly not that big a deal to me. If there isn't, I'm not paying for anything NHL related until they complete a successful CBA negotiation. I'll still give them a set of eyes for ad buys, though not as often as I used to.

jordan7hm is offline   Reply With Quote