HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lockout thread #2: mediation done - no progress

Closed Thread

Old
11-14-2012, 02:41 PM
molsonmuscle360

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
IA gree, I think the point is more that interviewers keep asking him. IT is like he has become the sole representative. would be nice if they just asked some one else. I don't know if it is becuase Crosby just makes himself avialable all the time or what.

Any way, I agree but I am also getting tired of listening to Crosby. Fact I am getting tired of listening to all hockey players talk about not playing hockey.
I think it's because of the way Fehr's contract is worked now, it's really guys like Crosby he is working for. I bet if you asked Don Fehr who Ryan Jones was or who Dwight King was he wouldn't have a damned clue who you were talking about.

Old
11-14-2012, 02:49 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
There will not be a 2 year lockout they will use replacement players. Basically you will be watching AHLers and Euros that come over.

I personally think some of the owners want to break the union and go back to paying the players nothing.
Thought that's what they did last time. Not sure what breaking the union really accomplishes, seems to be a step back.

Old
11-14-2012, 02:56 PM
oilersfan11

Quote:
There will not be a 2 year lockout they will use replacement players. Basically you will be watching AHLers and Euros that come over.

I personally think some of the owners want to break the union and go back to paying the players nothing.
Donald Fehr will take the league to court and prevent this from ever occurring .

Old
11-14-2012, 02:57 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:

Well, they did offer them 50% of HRR so how is that paying them nothing?

Old
11-14-2012, 02:59 PM
okgooil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonmuscle360 View Post
I think it's because of the way Fehr's contract is worked now, it's really guys like Crosby he is working for. I bet if you asked Don Fehr who Ryan Jones was or who Dwight King was he wouldn't have a damned clue who you were talking about.
I have said this a few times, but the only way this all makes sense is if the Ovechkins, Croby's of the world have way to much say. There is no way the Ryan Jones of the world want a lock out. 1 mill or 900K. I am sure they don't care that much so long as it isn't 0$.

Old
11-14-2012, 03:02 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Thought that's what they did last time. Not sure what breaking the union really accomplishes, seems to be a step back.
At the time it looked that way but last lockout really ended well for the palyers of the future. Players at the time took a hit to pave the way for the palyers of the future to make large amounts of cash. Like seriously what business pays its employees 57% of ****ing concessions revenues. That's just stupid.

Old
11-14-2012, 03:05 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
I have said this a few times, but the only way this all makes sense is if the Ovechkins, Croby's of the world have way to much say. There is no way the Ryan Jones of the world want a lock out. 1 mill or 900K. I am sure they don't care that much so long as it isn't 0$.
Ryan Jones has extra hunting time now, he's probably not that pissed yet.

Old
11-14-2012, 03:08 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
At the time it looked that way but last lockout really ended well for the palyers of the future. Players at the time took a hit to pave the way for the palyers of the future to make large amounts of cash. Like seriously what business pays its employees 57% of ****ing concessions revenues. That's just stupid.
Sure it worked out not too bad, but look where we are today. Money aside, the union was broken and leadership was changed and now the new leadership is fighting a new battle.

What's going to happen if Fehr is kicked out? Someone new will take over and then in 5 years we'll have a another lockout and new PA leader with a new way of thinking.

Old
11-14-2012, 03:22 PM
Bryanbryoil
The Oilers Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybaroo View Post
He sounds like an idiot, simply because its clear , with so many teams losing tons of $$, its the players, not the owners who have to be giving back. Its been a pretty 1 sided agreement now.
Its like saying back in the 50's & 60's & 70's, why were the owners & not the players always having to give. Its such a simple response it suprising he says anythiong that dumb.
Name one NHLPA member that will be saying in public "we need to give more back to the owners". There is dumb and then there is towing the company line.

11-14-2012, 03:33 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/coyo...ssonnette.html

Wow guess my comments about Biznasty were pretty spot on earlier. Sounds like he's starting to feel the financial restraint.

Old
11-14-2012, 03:36 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
What's going to happen if Fehr is kicked out? Someone new will take over and then in 5 years we'll have a another lockout and new PA leader with a new way of thinking.
What's going to happen? I dunno it will depend on the state of the league in 5 years time. If teams are still losing money hand over fist then yeah there will defintiely be another lockout. Remember all the lockouts recently have all been owner driven. If teams aren't sustainable you can bet that the owners will recognize and demand changes.

What makes this problem even worse is that the PA isn't willing to lose jobs for any of its members. They want their players to still be making lucrative amounts now and into the future but they have to realize that the best way at securing the top puppies is letting some teams go.

Old
11-14-2012, 03:48 PM
Billybaroo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Name one NHLPA member that will be saying in public "we need to give more back to the owners". There is dumb and then there is towing the company line.
Your right. But what he says is stupid & not logical.
He should at least make an effort not to sound stupid

Old
11-14-2012, 04:10 PM
ponokanocker

Quote:
I think what he needs to do is just keep his mouth shut. He is a terrible public speaker and someone needs to tell him to shut it.

Old
11-14-2012, 05:46 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponokanocker View Post
I think what he needs to do is just keep his mouth shut. He is a terrible public speaker and someone needs to tell him to shut it.
Yeah good point, when the media comes to talk to him he should jsut inform them that he's been instructed not to talk. Probably go even further to let thme know that he isn't talking because he isn't good at public speaking since he didn't obtain any post secondary education.

Old
11-14-2012, 08:06 PM
Bryanbryoil
The Oilers Best

Quote:

Wow guess my comments about Biznasty were pretty spot on earlier. Sounds like he's starting to feel the financial restraint.
Hopefully those that get a second chance take this to heart and look to better their situations as well as their families or future families situations.

Old
11-14-2012, 08:09 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:

This is awesome.
He's talking about going into Real Estate and says "I've got a big twitter following it'll get my listings out there"
Your NHL career goes and so does your twitter following bud.
Also its a pretty good idea to insult and pick and choose chirps to respond to if you want to go down that road.

Looks good on him IMO.

Old
11-14-2012, 08:10 PM
Bryanbryoil
The Oilers Best

Quote:
My pet peeve is when someone looks down their nose at someone and then posts stuff like the bolded.

Quote:
Yeah good point, when the media comes to talk to him he should jsut inform them that he's been instructed not to talk. Probably go even further to let thme know that he isn't talking because he isn't good at public speaking since he didn't obtain any post secondary education.
That sums it up nicely, I assume that you have post secondary education to construct such a brilliant post

Old
11-14-2012, 08:14 PM
Billybaroo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
My pet peeve is when someone looks down their nose at someone and then posts stuff like the bolded.

That sums it up nicely, I assume that you have post secondary education to construct such a brilliant post
I dont get what your saying . Maybe it was the grammar police at work, i dunno (is that acceptable). It was a stupid comment. Of course I dont expect him to say they should get a pay cut. But I also dont expect the him to speak like the village idiot either. Thats my point

Old
11-14-2012, 08:31 PM
HotToddy

Quote:
I dont get what your saying . Maybe it was the grammar police at work, i dunno (is that acceptable). It was a stupid comment. Of course I dont expect him to say they should get a pay cut. But I also dont expect the him to speak like the village idiot either. Thats my point
Actually the point is don't criticize a hockey players intelligence with a poorly constructed paragraph that is littered with poor grammar.

Old
11-14-2012, 08:38 PM
Billybaroo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotToddy View Post
Actually the point is don't criticize a hockey players intelligence with a poorly constructed paragraph that is littered with poor grammar.
Well, then it was a pretty stupid point to be made. Cause there was a grammatical error, thats it.
And the point been made is akin to a player being immune from criticism if one cant play hockey themselves.
Ridiculous point anyway you slice it.
And btw, I didn't reference his intelligence. I referenced how illogical & absurd his point was. Get the difference?

Old
11-15-2012, 02:00 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Chris Phillips to Mark Recchi - "Be quiet. You don't understand the situation. You don't know what's going on."

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/11/14...r-cba-comments

Phillips' comments are really disappointing. Keep fighting the good fight there, boys.

Old
11-15-2012, 03:03 AM
#ualberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Chris Phillips to Mark Recchi - "Be quiet. You don't understand the situation. You don't know what's going on."

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/11/14...r-cba-comments

Phillips' comments are really disappointing. Keep fighting the good fight there, boys.
Yeah strong words there from Phillips but not surprising or unexpected. i mean he wasn't going to say "yeah Mark has a point we should sign a deal now" his response was one i expected and one any player would give at this point. does that mean the players are far from caving, maybe but not necessarily i think they are just smart enough to express strength and unity when dealing with media

Old
11-15-2012, 03:38 AM
#ualberta

I was thinking there is a bunch of old players on contract that were supposed to play this season but if the season gets cancelled there is a chance they retire

40 year old Martin Brodeur will be 41 come sept 2013
42 year old Teemu Selanne will be 43 come sept 2013
40 year old Jaromir Jagr will be 41 come sept 2013
40 year old Ray Whitney will be 41 come sept 2013
39 year old Daniel Alfredsson will be 40 come sept 2013

I'm probably missing a few but as you can see these aren't just any old players i'm talking about. The 5 players above are all undoubtably great players and will all be over 40 come september 2013. Notably the first 3 i think are all pretty legendary players who will be future hall of famers and will finish their careers with their names in nhl record books. If the lockout lasts all season we may never see the players play again

Old
11-15-2012, 04:34 AM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 402 View Post
I was thinking there is a bunch of old players on contract that were supposed to play this season but if the season gets cancelled there is a chance they retire

I'm probably missing a few but as you can see these aren't just any old players i'm talking about. The 5 players above are all undoubtably great players and will all be over 40 come september 2013. Notably the first 3 i think are all pretty legendary players who will be future hall of famers and will finish their careers with their names in nhl record books. If the lockout lasts all season we may never see the players play again
If the season is wiped it'll certainly make for an interesting off-season when they finally decide to have an NHL season again. Every team will likely have at least one or two players retire and likely several other fringe/marginal players who may have expired contracts and/or have moved on to other leagues so it should be a pretty active period where all the teams need to restock the shelves.

Just on the Oilers you have a half dozen guys that would have expired contracts... Khabi, Hordichuk, Jones, Petrell, Whitney, Sutton. How many would be back for sure and how many would be replaced?

Old
11-15-2012, 10:27 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by 402 View Post

Bulin
Bulin
Bulin
Bulin
Bulin
Bulin
Bulin

Closed Thread