HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

I don't think Radulov is that good

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-14-2012, 01:44 PM
  #76
P U L L H A R D
 
P U L L H A R D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Somalia
Posts: 24,133
vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Human View Post
east european who's favorite player is Malkin here saying that the russian homerism is just as delicious.
Its fun. There is both a lot of ignorance, and then the apologists fighting back. Why can't a player just "be"? Everyone has to categorize someone into the tiniest little category. Very odd. I just thought it was funny how everyone started circlejerking when he was coming back last year.

P U L L H A R D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 01:49 PM
  #77
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please
 
ArGarBarGar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 25,020
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikke View Post
Yeah, they should probably tar and feather Malkin then, he ran away from his contract in Russia.
I never said Russia shouldn't be mad at Malkin, so your point is moot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
How was Radulov "unable to hack it"? He stepped right into the NHL after 3 seasons away from it and lead a team in Playoff Scoring through two rounds. Radulov could easily be a 70 point 1st liner but Canadian bias is ridiculous in the NHL. I love how a team that couldn't score goals wants to blame all of their problems on the only player generating offense for them.
He was tied in points with David Legwand, and one goal in two playoff series.

He wasn't the only player generating offense for the Predators.

Could he acquire 70 points? Possibly. But he never played in the NHL long enough for him to get to that point.

ArGarBarGar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 01:56 PM
  #78
JetsAlternate
Registered User
 
JetsAlternate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,438
vCash: 500
Radulov has the talent, but he does not use it properly. In his first stint with the Predators, he was a sniper. When he returned, he opted to pass every time he had a clear shooting lane. His decisions were puzzling at times, considering he knows how to put the puck in the net and has some very nifty puck-handling skills.

I was fairly supportive of his return to the NHL, and he did produce at a respectable rate, but he threw away many terrific scoring chances as well. He was the Predators' best forward throughout the regular season last year, but became less noticeable in the playoffs. His off-ice antics and his apparently goon-ish/hooligan-ish/punk-like personality made him a liability. He comes across as a thug.



He has an elite skill-set but unfortunately wastes it with his spiteful approach to the game. Personality issues get in the way of a player who could have succeeded in the NHL. I outlined my expectations for him prior to his debut last year. Unfortunately, he threw a wrench in my observations by returning a very different player.

Is he capable of "being good?" Yes. Will he be? Probably not.


Last edited by JetsAlternate: 11-14-2012 at 02:12 PM.
JetsAlternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 02:03 PM
  #79
Yashintangibles
6 Million Dollar Man
 
Yashintangibles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: At The Bank
Country: Yugoslavia
Posts: 3,624
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Sunshine View Post
Its fun. There is both a lot of ignorance, and then the apologists fighting back. Why can't a player just "be"? Everyone has to categorize someone into the tiniest little category. Very odd. I just thought it was funny how everyone started circlejerking when he was coming back last year.
If Radulov is so terrible at everything, how still he manage to school Detroit and Pavel the living God last playoffs ?

Not sure you were that vocal about Radulov's incompetence.

Yashintangibles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 02:05 PM
  #80
Yashintangibles
6 Million Dollar Man
 
Yashintangibles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: At The Bank
Country: Yugoslavia
Posts: 3,624
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArGarBarGar View Post
I never said Russia shouldn't be mad at Malkin, so your point is moot.



He was tied in points with David Legwand, and one goal in two playoff series.

He wasn't the only player generating offense for the Predators.

Could he acquire 70 points? Possibly. But he never played in the NHL long enough for him to get to that point.
Legwand played 10 games. Not Radulov

Yashintangibles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 02:10 PM
  #81
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please
 
ArGarBarGar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 25,020
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri the Fury View Post
Legwand played 10 games. Not Radulov
Legwand had more goals.

I'm trying to point out it isn't like Radulov was lighting up the playoff series. He scored one goal in 8 games and was scratched for two more because his own head coach didn't believe that his talent was enough to make up for a ten minute curfew violation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri the Fury View Post
If Radulov is so terrible at everything, how still he manage to school Detroit and Pavel the living God last playoffs ?

Not sure you were that vocal about Radulov's incompetence.
He didn't school Detroit. Nashville as a team schooled Detroit, keeping their forwards to the outside in the defensive zone and burying their chances when Detroit made mistakes.

ArGarBarGar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 02:18 PM
  #82
Yashintangibles
6 Million Dollar Man
 
Yashintangibles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: At The Bank
Country: Yugoslavia
Posts: 3,624
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArGarBarGar View Post
Legwand had more goals.

I'm trying to point out it isn't like Radulov was lighting up the playoff series. He scored one goal in 8 games and was scratched for two more because his own head coach didn't believe that his talent was enough to make up for a ten minute curfew violation.
That still doesn't make it a receivable argument. Radulov had 6 pts in 8 games, Legwand in 10.


Radulov was benched because he broke team rules, stop making assumptions.



Quote:
Originally Posted by ArGarBarGar View Post
He didn't school Detroit. Nashville as a team schooled Detroit, keeping their forwards to the outside in the defensive zone and burying their chances when Detroit made mistakes.

5 pts in 5 games +/- +5 . That's what I was saying, he was the best player in that series.

Yashintangibles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 02:20 PM
  #83
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please
 
ArGarBarGar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 25,020
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri the Fury View Post
That still doesn't make it a receivable argument. Radulov had 6 pts in 8 games, Legwand in 10. Coming from an assist or a goal,
Was he lighting up the playoffs with those points?

Ask a Wings fan how much Hossa's assist total meant to them in the 2009 playoffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri the Fury View Post
Radulov was benched because he broke team rules, stop making assumptions.
He broke a team rule by 10 minutes with their team down, and was not only scratched for one game but two.

What does that tell you about Radulov?

ArGarBarGar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 02:28 PM
  #84
Yashintangibles
6 Million Dollar Man
 
Yashintangibles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: At The Bank
Country: Yugoslavia
Posts: 3,624
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArGarBarGar View Post
Was he lighting up the playoffs with those points?

Ask a Wings fan how much Hossa's assist total meant to them in the 2009 playoffs.


He broke a team rule by 10 minutes with their team down, and was not only scratched for one game but two.

What does that tell you about Radulov?
By a minute or 10 hours, Nashville stated there are team rules and no one on the team is above them.
The funniest thing is that neither Poile nor Trotz even cared to deny the media saying he was partying like a mofo until 4am.

We had to wait weeks until someone else tells the truth.

Yashintangibles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 02:32 PM
  #85
Eisen
Registered User
 
Eisen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Eugene
Country: Germany
Posts: 6,525
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArGarBarGar View Post
Was he lighting up the playoffs with those points?

Ask a Wings fan how much Hossa's assist total meant to them in the 2009 playoffs.


He broke a team rule by 10 minutes with their team down, and was not only scratched for one game but two.

What does that tell you about Radulov?
Not a lot. It tells me something about the guy that benched him though.

Eisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 02:32 PM
  #86
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please
 
ArGarBarGar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 25,020
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri the Fury View Post
By a minute or 10 hours, Nashville stated there are team rules and no one on the team is above them.
The funniest thing is that neither Poile nor Trotz even cared to deny the media saying he was partying like a mofo until 4am.

We had to wait weeks until someone else tells the truth.
So why would Trotz lie about it (I'm not saying he isn't)? And why would Trotz scratch him for two games instead of one when you have a talented guy like Radulov that you can use to your advantage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisen View Post
Not a lot. It tells me something about the guy that benched him though.
The guy has been a finalist for a Jack Adams and taken a relatively weak lineup to the playoffs for many years. What insight might you have to what kind of coach Barry Trotz is?

ArGarBarGar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 02:42 PM
  #87
InjuredChoker
Registered User
 
InjuredChoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: LTIR or golf course
Posts: 18,056
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri the Fury View Post
That's what I was saying, he was the best player in that series.
Nah, that would be Weber or Rinne. HM: to Klein.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 02:42 PM
  #88
Yashintangibles
6 Million Dollar Man
 
Yashintangibles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: At The Bank
Country: Yugoslavia
Posts: 3,624
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArGarBarGar View Post
So why would Trotz lie about it (I'm not saying he isn't)? And why would Trotz scratch him for two games instead of one when you have a talented guy like Radulov that you can use to your advantage?

Maybe because there's a lot of things we're not informed about ?

It's a bit more complicated than the good people, Trotz and Poile against the Evil one. They were trying to negotiate with Radulov during that time also. Just take in consideration that in the end, Radulov said NO to Poile's proposition. He would never re-sign with Nashville, just being there to finish his contract and nothing more.
Not sure Nashville's management appreciated that.

Also Trotz didn't lie about the curfew story. IIRC He never stated that Radulov was partying, just he broke a team rule.

Yashintangibles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 02:43 PM
  #89
Yashintangibles
6 Million Dollar Man
 
Yashintangibles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: At The Bank
Country: Yugoslavia
Posts: 3,624
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
Nah, that would be Weber or Rinne. HM: to Klein.
Ok, that's arguable, but Radulov was far from being a non-factor.

Yashintangibles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 02:44 PM
  #90
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please
 
ArGarBarGar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 25,020
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri the Fury View Post
Maybe because there's a lot of things we're not informed about ?

It's a bit more complicated than the good people, Trotz and Poile against the Evil one. There were trying to negotiate with Radulov during that time also. Just take in consideration that in the end, Radulov said NO to Poile's proposition. He would never re-sign with Nashville, just being there to finish his contract and nothing more.
Not sure Nashville's management appreciated that.

Also Trotz didn't lie about the curfew story. IIRC He never stated that Radulov was partying, just he broke a team rule.
Fair enough. For the record I don't think it was a "good vs. evil" scenario. I believe that Radulov acted like a headcase during the ordeal (especially during the playoffs) and his play suffered for it. I also believe that is something that some people didn't acknowledge could be a factor when he came back.

ArGarBarGar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 02:51 PM
  #91
P U L L H A R D
 
P U L L H A R D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Somalia
Posts: 24,133
vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri the Fury View Post
If Radulov is so terrible at everything, how still he manage to school Detroit and Pavel the living God last playoffs ?

Not sure you were that vocal about Radulov's incompetence.
I can tell you're trying to make me mad, but I am more critical of Detroit's play than you will ever be, and I don't think myself or many Wings fans were surprised by the outcome of that series last year. And Radulov didn't do much in it, anyway. It was more Klein and Bourque that stood out, at least to me.

P U L L H A R D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 02:56 PM
  #92
Yashintangibles
6 Million Dollar Man
 
Yashintangibles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: At The Bank
Country: Yugoslavia
Posts: 3,624
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArGarBarGar View Post
Fair enough. For the record I don't think it was a "good vs. evil" scenario. I believe that Radulov acted like a headcase during the ordeal (especially during the playoffs) and his play suffered for it. I also believe that is something that some people didn't acknowledge could be a factor when he came back.
My personal opinion ? He was there just to close his ELC contract and they didn't appreciate that at all.

Radulov was immature since he never respected his obligations,I don't argue that. But I don't really like how Trotz and Poile handled this " curfew" situation neither. They tried as much as possible to tarnish Radulov's reputation. Not an hard task, you'd say I suppose.

Yashintangibles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 03:05 PM
  #93
MastuhNinks
Registered User
 
MastuhNinks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Iron Throne
Posts: 4,450
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi Trollinen View Post
Him and Semin get dumped on a lot and while some if it has merit, a lot of it is just Russian bias from an uniformed base of people (mostly Canadian)

Rick Nash pulled a Dwight Howard, ****** move on the Blue Jackets and held his team hostage and threw them under the bus. But because he's a "Good Brampton Kid" no one cares. Although, being Canadian means Nash has "intangibles" which we all know amount for everything and anything, but conveniently can't be measured and seem to encompass anything reporters and the media see fit.
Rick Nash stuck by that team for almost a decade and they never came close to being a competitive team. He's 28 years old and has never won an NHL playoff game because of how terrible his team has been. I don't think anyone should blame him for wanting out of there when it didn't seem like they were at all trying to build a successful team around him. Dwight Howard's team won their division 3 years in a row, made the NBA Finals and was a pretty strong team in the East for a while. He left because he had drama with his coach and had dragged on talks about free agency for literally more than a year. I know Rick Nash didn't leave through free agency but I think his situation is much more comparable to Lebron's (who I feel is also unjustly villainized). There were talks about Nash being traded before he even requested a trade, he stuck with that team for a long time and more than paid his dues, I don't think it's a Canadian thing to defend him, it's a 'he had the patience of a saint' thing. Can you seriously say you'd be happy to be a 28 year old franchise player for a team since you were a teenager, who still has never won an NHL playoff game? Of course he wanted out.

Radulov meanwhile finally decided to give the team that drafted him a shot and decided that partying was more important than the playoffs, of course people are going to question his character. It's not that he is playing in Russia, if you don't want to play in the best hockey league in the World that's fine, but don't come over to play in the NHL if you aren't going to take it seriously. What Radulov did was very disrespectful to his teammates, he showed that he did not care at all about the Stanley Cup. Rick Nash wanted out of his team because he wanted to win, Alexander Radulov is hated on because his actions suggested he doesn't care about winning.

MastuhNinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 03:06 PM
  #94
DowJones
Registered User
 
DowJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 790
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckgenius View Post
Whats your thoughts on him? I find him very overrated. He has a good skillset (just a step down from Semin) but that all goes to waste if he can't commit to a team or fully buy into their system. He's lousy defensively, doesnt back check, and takes shifts off. Hes still a top liner but if hes your top forward, your team is in trouble. On a contender hes best suited as a 3rd or 4th best forward and no way should he be part of any teams core.
I just dont get all the anger canadians seems to have against russians. So much anger.

If Radulov is your 4th best forward you are a lucky team.

DowJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 03:12 PM
  #95
Yashintangibles
6 Million Dollar Man
 
Yashintangibles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: At The Bank
Country: Yugoslavia
Posts: 3,624
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MastuhNinks View Post
Rick Nash stuck by that team for almost a decade and they never came close to being a competitive team. He's 28 years old and has never won an NHL playoff game because of how terrible his team has been. I don't think anyone should blame him for wanting out of there when it didn't seem like they were at all trying to build a successful team around him. Dwight Howard's team won their division 3 years in a row, made the NBA Finals and was a pretty strong team in the East for a while. He left because he had drama with his coach and had dragged on talks about free agency for literally more than a year. I know Rick Nash didn't leave through free agency but I think his situation is much more comparable to Lebron's (who I feel is also unjustly villainized). There were talks about Nash being traded before he even requested a trade, he stuck with that team for a long time and more than paid his dues, I don't think it's a Canadian thing to defend him, it's a 'he had the patience of a saint' thing. Can you seriously say you'd be happy to be a 28 year old franchise player for a team since you were a teenager, who still has never won an NHL playoff game? Of course he wanted out.

Radulov meanwhile finally decided to give the team that drafted him a shot and decided that partying was more important than the playoffs, of course people are going to question his character. It's not that he is playing in Russia, if you don't want to play in the best hockey league in the World that's fine, but don't come over to play in the NHL if you aren't going to take it seriously. What Radulov did was very disrespectful to his teammates, he showed that he did not care at all about the Stanley Cup. Rick Nash wanted out of his team because he wanted to win, Alexander Radulov is hated on because his actions suggested he doesn't care about winning.
Radulov is hated because his actions suggests he doesn't care about the NHL above all. A crime of lese-majesty.

Yashintangibles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 03:25 PM
  #96
RogerRoeper*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21,694
vCash: 500
He's a talented guy, but not one you want leading your team.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 03:36 PM
  #97
The Phil
Registered User
 
The Phil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 469
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi Trollinen View Post
Him and Semin get dumped on a lot and while some if it has merit, a lot of it is just Russian bias from an uniformed base of people (mostly Canadian)

Rick Nash pulled a Dwight Howard, ****** move on the Blue Jackets and held his team hostage and threw them under the bus. But because he's a "Good Brampton Kid" no one cares. Although, being Canadian means Nash has "intangibles" which we all know amount for everything and anything, but conveniently can't be measured and seem to encompass anything reporters and the media see fit.
Rick Nash gets dumped on by Canadian fans all the time for sticking with the Blue Jackets for so long instead of going to a larger market.

The Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 03:57 PM
  #98
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg
 
VinnyC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Na'ē panjā
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberation View Post
Weber and Suter sucked. Radulov was fine.

Poile sucks too.
Lol, Radulov was absolutely pathetic versus the Coyotes. Couldn't be assed with backchecks so odd-man rushes where going the other way all the time whenever he was on the ice. Game 2, I think, three goals were scored by the player Radulov was supposed to pick up when the play went the other way.

Semin is Ryan Callahan compared to Radulov.

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 04:01 PM
  #99
WarriorofTime
Registered User
 
WarriorofTime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,544
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MastuhNinks View Post
Rick Nash stuck by that team for almost a decade and they never came close to being a competitive team. He's 28 years old and has never won an NHL playoff game because of how terrible his team has been. I don't think anyone should blame him for wanting out of there when it didn't seem like they were at all trying to build a successful team around him. Dwight Howard's team won their division 3 years in a row, made the NBA Finals and was a pretty strong team in the East for a while. He left because he had drama with his coach and had dragged on talks about free agency for literally more than a year. I know Rick Nash didn't leave through free agency but I think his situation is much more comparable to Lebron's (who I feel is also unjustly villainized). There were talks about Nash being traded before he even requested a trade, he stuck with that team for a long time and more than paid his dues, I don't think it's a Canadian thing to defend him, it's a 'he had the patience of a saint' thing. Can you seriously say you'd be happy to be a 28 year old franchise player for a team since you were a teenager, who still has never won an NHL playoff game? Of course he wanted out.

Radulov meanwhile finally decided to give the team that drafted him a shot and decided that partying was more important than the playoffs, of course people are going to question his character. It's not that he is playing in Russia, if you don't want to play in the best hockey league in the World that's fine, but don't come over to play in the NHL if you aren't going to take it seriously. What Radulov did was very disrespectful to his teammates, he showed that he did not care at all about the Stanley Cup. Rick Nash wanted out of his team because he wanted to win, Alexander Radulov is hated on because his actions suggested he doesn't care about winning.
Double standard is a double standard. Last I checked nobody forced Rick Nash to sign a huge extension in Columbus in 2009 when they were playing decent. But he did because all he cared about was money. But he's allowed to be lazy and not play up to his capabilities because his team stinks "come on it must be hard to be stuck on such a lousy team". It is interesting how when Canadians pull stuff like this it's acceptable.. like when Dany Heatley wanted out of Atlanta. "It's understandable, the guy just needs a fresh start" is what everyone in Ottawa says. Years later he pulls the same schtick and he's a super-villain despite not having killed anyone this time.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 04:38 PM
  #100
Eisen
Registered User
 
Eisen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Eugene
Country: Germany
Posts: 6,525
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArGarBarGar View Post
So why would Trotz lie about it (I'm not saying he isn't)? And why would Trotz scratch him for two games instead of one when you have a talented guy like Radulov that you can use to your advantage?



The guy has been a finalist for a Jack Adams and taken a relatively weak lineup to the playoffs for many years. What insight might you have to what kind of coach Barry Trotz is?
It tells me that he is ultra hardline because of a 10 minute misdemeanor. A great coach still, but I doubt that this was his finest moment. One game, OK, hard, but OK. But two was a not a smart choice. Perhaps there is something to the Radulov story that was never made public but from what is known, sitting your best offensive player in the playoffs is not smart.

Eisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:56 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.