HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Dougie Hamilton vs Morgan Rielly

View Poll Results: Who would you take?
Dougie Hamilton 316 64.23%
Morgan Rielly 138 28.05%
too close to call 38 7.72%
Voters: 492. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-14-2012, 03:21 PM
  #76
BudMovin*
Mung Dealer
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Q'onoS
Country: Canary Islands
Posts: 2,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
How can you say I'm a homer? I'm present my argument in detail and supporting it with what I have observed from the two players so far. I've also seen a lot more of Dougie than Rielly. All I'm saying is that I prefer a smart player that is dynamic. It's my favourite type of player and those players usually have success. I'm not denying that Dougie is talented or capable of playing good defense. Just saying that I find his hockey sense questionable at times.
You compared Hamilton to Cody Franson and for some reason you think/thought Seguin was completely over-hyped. I don't know if your opinion really carries any weight. Might be a little bias in there. Not sure why

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...9&postcount=84

BudMovin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 03:39 PM
  #77
sniper81
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: toronto
Posts: 1,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wKetch22 View Post
Tyler Myers barely weighs more than Dougie, do you think Rielly has a better frame than Myers too? Elite prospects has him at over 20 pounds more than Rielly.

Personally I think 6'4", 216lbs and growing is better than 6'0" and 194. Also way to exaggerate and say they are the same weight. Not even close. On a lean frame like Hamilton's 10 pounds is huge

Dougie, in the year after his draft put up 72 points in 50 games. If you want to compare it year by year, good luck beating that
wouldnt you have to compare leagues, talkents on each team? I hate that arguement because Niagra was stacked last year

sniper81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 03:49 PM
  #78
sniper81
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: toronto
Posts: 1,253
vCash: 500
also i would take hamilton but its close. ive watched him live a lot and the one thing that bugs me is his decision making. Most of the time he makes good plays but he makes the wrong decision far to often, being as good as he is in the ohl allows him to get away with it, definetly something he needs to work on. Wont comment on riellys strengths/weaknesses as i havent watched him live.

sniper81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 04:08 PM
  #79
Pay Carl
don't lose touch
 
Pay Carl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 10,390
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper81 View Post
wouldnt you have to compare leagues, talkents on each team? I hate that arguement because Niagra was stacked last year
yeah, that seems to be the only argument Rielly apologists can make

guess we will have to wait and see

Pay Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 04:13 PM
  #80
SmellOfVictory
Registered User
 
SmellOfVictory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,115
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos2 View Post
Sam Fioretti is good, but in no way is he an elite offensive force. He is just enjoying being the beneficiary of Rielly's offense. A bunch of Fiortti's goals have been from passes from Rielly or rebounds from Rielly. He's benefitting in the same way Spezza and Michalek benefitted from Karlsson. Strome is an elite offensive force that can create his own chances and make something from nothing, you can't expect to compare Fioretti with Ryan Strome.
I think you've got that backwards; if anything, Karlsson and Michalek benefitted significantly more from Spezza than Spezza benefitted from either of the other two.

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 04:14 PM
  #81
HockeyGuruPitka
Registered User
 
HockeyGuruPitka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,041
vCash: 500
I love everything that dougie brings to the table; booming shot, crisp accurate passing, composure with the puck, great first pass. However he is prone to gettting blown passed and often unable to pivot fast enough for a top pairing defenseman. His defensive play (at times) shows why he was drafted 9th overal. Guy is chara/weber on the offensive side of the puck, just not there defensively.

Does that mean Rielly is better? Absolutely not. I just think Rielly is more of a sure thing to excell in the NHL. The speed is completely different in the NHL compared to junior.

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 04:15 PM
  #82
Vankiller Whale
All hail WMD
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,960
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudMovin View Post
You compared Hamilton to Cody Franson and for some reason you think/thought Seguin was completely over-hyped. I don't know if your opinion really carries any weight. Might be a little bias in there. Not sure why

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...9&postcount=84
Wow. Epic post is epic.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 04:22 PM
  #83
Atomos2
BLUE NOISE
 
Atomos2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Guelph, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,638
vCash: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellOfVictory View Post
I think you've got that backwards; if anything, Karlsson and Michalek benefitted significantly more from Spezza than Spezza benefitted from either of the other two.
That's debatable. I'd say Karlsson played a critical part in both of their success. Agree to disagree, but Rielly is more of a passer than a scorer, so obviously someone has to be on the receiving end of those passes. There is no way you can compare Fioretti to Strome in terms of offense anyways.

Atomos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 04:23 PM
  #84
MastuhNinks
Registered User
 
MastuhNinks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Iron Throne
Posts: 4,568
vCash: 500
hfboards also thinks Hamilton > Larsson so I can't really take anything they say about him seriously.

MastuhNinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 05:08 PM
  #85
SmellOfVictory
Registered User
 
SmellOfVictory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,115
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MastuhNinks View Post
hfboards also thinks Hamilton > Larsson so I can't really take anything they say about him seriously.
But he's really talllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 05:19 PM
  #86
BudMovin*
Mung Dealer
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Q'onoS
Country: Canary Islands
Posts: 2,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MastuhNinks View Post
hfboards also thinks Hamilton > Larsson so I can't really take anything they say about him seriously.
I think any rational Bruins fan does not think this to be true. Their upside might be similar, but Larsson is WAY ahead of him in development; thus, more likely to achieve that upside.

BudMovin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 05:25 PM
  #87
Raging Bull
Registered User
 
Raging Bull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Hamilton, ONT
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,591
vCash: 500
I voted Hamilton but I think it's closer than the results so far. You can't ignore how good he was last year.

Raging Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 05:45 PM
  #88
Kulemon
Registered User
 
Kulemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,482
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudMovin View Post
You compared Hamilton to Cody Franson and for some reason you think/thought Seguin was completely over-hyped. I don't know if your opinion really carries any weight. Might be a little bias in there. Not sure why

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...9&postcount=84
I hated Seguin. So much. As a player and as a person. If there was any player that I want to fail it was Seguin. So there you go.

Hamilton is different. I really like him as a person and a player. But I do think he is very overrated around here. That's all there is to it. The Cody Franson comparison for the 300th time was simply play styles.

Kulemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 05:57 PM
  #89
topchowda
Registered User
 
topchowda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 7,421
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
How can you say I'm a homer? I'm present my argument in detail and supporting it with what I have observed from the two players so far. I've also seen a lot more of Dougie than Rielly. All I'm saying is that I prefer a smart player that is dynamic. It's my favourite type of player and those players usually have success. I'm not denying that Dougie is talented or capable of playing good defense. Just saying that I find his hockey sense questionable at times.
Well first, you say hamiltons lack of IQ is apparent in the D-zone but leave on that Riellys instincts in the D-zone are worse (not hoorid but not as good as Hamiltons)

Cant build an argument by stating half the facts.

Imagine TML defense core if BB had not done the Kessel deal, both Rielly and Hamilton on the same team

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 06:01 PM
  #90
Kulemon
Registered User
 
Kulemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,482
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Well first, you say hamiltons lack of IQ is apparent in the D-zone but leave on that Riellys instincts in the D-zone are worse (not hoorid but not as good as Hamiltons)

Cant build an argument by stating half the facts.
Reilly's instincts and decision making in the D-zone are fine. It's his physicality and shutdown ability that needs improving.

Kulemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 06:04 PM
  #91
topchowda
Registered User
 
topchowda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 7,421
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
Reilly's instincts and decision making in the D-zone are fine. It's his physicality and shutdown ability that needs improving.
Not saying there bad, just said dont say Hamiltons weakness is instincts in the D zone but fail to account for the fact they are better than Riellys

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 06:10 PM
  #92
Kulemon
Registered User
 
Kulemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,482
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Not saying there bad, just said dont say Hamiltons weakness is instincts in the D zone but fail to account for the fact they are better than Riellys
That's what I disagree on. I think Rielly has better instincts (as in hockey sense) in the D zone but Hamilton is bigger and more physical which helps defensively.

Kulemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 06:37 PM
  #93
newfy
Registered User
 
newfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,913
vCash: 500
Hard to vote against the top dman in the OHL last year who is the number 1 dman on a really good team, that also had a good world juniors when hes being compared to a guy whose played like 40 jr games the last 2 seasons.

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 06:55 PM
  #94
Atomos2
BLUE NOISE
 
Atomos2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Guelph, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,638
vCash: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
Hard to vote against the top dman in the OHL last year who is the number 1 dman on a really good team, that also had a good world juniors when hes being compared to a guy whose played like 40 jr games the last 2 seasons.
It's pretty funny that the only thing you can say about Rielly is that he played 40 games the last 2 seasons. How many games did Crosby play in the past two seasons? Obviously I'm not comparing the two but you have to give us something more than "he just played 40 jr games" that's not really an argument

Atomos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 07:07 PM
  #95
Pay Carl
don't lose touch
 
Pay Carl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 10,390
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos2 View Post
It's pretty funny that the only thing you can say about Rielly is that he played 40 games the last 2 seasons. How many games did Crosby play in the past two seasons? Obviously I'm not comparing the two but you have to give us something more than "he just played 40 jr games" that's not really an argument
How is it not an argument

Crosby has quite the track record to fall back on, whereas Rielly does not

Pay Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 07:10 PM
  #96
BudMovin*
Mung Dealer
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Q'onoS
Country: Canary Islands
Posts: 2,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos2 View Post
It's pretty funny that the only thing you can say about Rielly is that he played 40 games the last 2 seasons. How many games did Crosby play in the past two seasons? Obviously I'm not comparing the two but you have to give us something more than "he just played 40 jr games" that's not really an argument
If you aren't comparing the two than why bring Crosby up????? Anyhow, what newfy is arguing is sample size. Hamilton has been producing at a high level with a much bigger sample to look at. But if you want to have number of games used as a detriment, I would take the guy that is more durable, for sure.

BudMovin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 07:17 PM
  #97
Atomos2
BLUE NOISE
 
Atomos2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Guelph, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,638
vCash: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by wKetch22 View Post
How is it not an argument

Crosby has quite the track record to fall back on, whereas Rielly does not
That doesn't take away from the skill that Rielly has. We are talking about who is better, not about who has more accomplishment. Rielly has proven a lower amount of games played doesn't take away from his skill. I still think Hamilton is better right now, but it is based off his current play, not on his accomplishments.

Atomos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 07:19 PM
  #98
FishManSam
Bobs Yummy Burgers!
 
FishManSam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: I Bet You Hate T.O
Country: Croatia
Posts: 5,129
vCash: 500
Voted Hamilton as a Leafs fan, but it's very close.

IMHO Rielly is much more dynamic offensively and you shouldn't be looking at numbers to compare their offensive stats, because the teams their on are ridiculously unbalanced.

Moose Jaw 23 GP 62 GF

Niagara 21 GP 77GF

FishManSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 07:19 PM
  #99
BIitz
42
 
BIitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Parthenon
Country: Greece
Posts: 13,106
vCash: 50
Voted Hamilton, very close.

In regards to IQ I can only speak for Hamilton as I've seen him a fair amount more than Rielly.

Last year whenever I watched him he seemed to have good IQ in terms of defensive positioning but didn't always make the play. IE he'd make a good read on a player that's open, but didn't always take away the passing lane.

Rielly is a lot better defensively than he gets credit for, smart reads and good stick. Hamilton's still better though. I just think Hamilton needs some Julien coaching to take his defense to the next level.

Also I found it funny some people think Hamilton is more dynamic. Every Rielly game turns into a highlight reel.

BIitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 07:22 PM
  #100
Atomos2
BLUE NOISE
 
Atomos2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Guelph, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,638
vCash: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudMovin View Post
If you aren't comparing the two than why bring Crosby up????? Anyhow, what newfy is arguing is sample size. Hamilton has been producing at a high level with a much bigger sample to look at. But if you want to have number of games used as a detriment, I would take the guy that is more durable, for sure.
I meant I wasn't comparing Rielly with Crosby skill wise. Only by sample size and how it doesn't effect the player they are. Durability is definitely something to consider but I don't think you can accurately compare durability between them especially since I doubt Rielly's injury last year automatically makes him injury proned.

Atomos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:28 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.