HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Off-season Madness the 3rd: Jeffrey Loria taketh and Jeffrey Loria giveth away

Closed Thread

Old
11-14-2012, 03:10 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
Already got a Canadian thirdbasemen, don't need another one d'oh.

I bet Fergie Jenkins would look great at the top of that rotation though.
Everyone's overlooking what would be the heart of the team (and relegate Pete Orr to utility IF)

Stubby Clapp at 2nd

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
11-14-2012, 03:10 PM
Buddio
CFC

vCash: 900
Quote:
Jeffrey Loria taketh away. And now, finally, Jeffrey Loria giveth back.
First sentence in a Sportsnet article

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/201...stephen_brunt/

Old
11-14-2012, 03:12 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddio View Post
First sentence in a Sportsnet article
Lawsuit incoming. Rogers has deep pockets, they can afford to spot me some millions and still pay the newest Jays

Old
11-14-2012, 03:12 PM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno23 View Post
It was awesome. We had first row seats down the RF line and you can see how green the grass was the even little things pattern in the outfield was done amazing.

I drove by Marlins stadium in Mar when I was there to watch the Leafs and from the outside its nice obviously there was nobody there just like a regular season game HAHA.

My next stop is out to Seattle, San Fran and OAK those are 3 to get rid of the west coast stadium.

I heard from a friend St-Louis is pretty nice.
I've heard nothing but great things about Busch stadium, both the building itself and the atmosphere. Same goes for Pac Bell Park (or whatever its called now). Those are both 1 and 2 on my bucket list.

Old
11-14-2012, 03:14 PM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
Everyone's overlooking what would be the heart of the team (and relegate Pete Orr to utility IF)

Stubby Clapp at 2nd
Player\Manager ala Pete Rose!

Old
11-14-2012, 03:16 PM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
Trading Johnson would be dumb on so many levels. He's a key piece to the deal, he does wonders adding value to our rotation. Trading prospects for him and then moving him for more prospects is insane. Unless it's for an outfielder or a slugging first baseman..and even that would be dumb.
Agreed, we need his pitching more then we need another bat. Gives us a damn solid 1-4 rotation (especially if Romero can figure out his issues).

Maybe Reyes, Bautista and EE can convince their countryman, Melky, to come to Toronto on the cheap. That lineup would be nice:

1-Reyes -SS
2-Melky -LF
3-Bautista -RF
4-EE -1B
5-Lawrie -3B
6-Buck -C/DH
7-Arencibia -DH/C
8-Rasmus -CF
9-Izurtis -2B

Johnson
Morrow
Buerhle
Romero
Happ (or whoeevr makes it out of camp)

LR- B. Cecil
MR- E. Rogers
MR- B. Lincoln
MR- A. Loup
SU- S. Delabar
SU- S. Santos
CL- C. Janssen

Old
11-14-2012, 03:17 PM
SeenSchenn2
Have Faith GLG

How much money do you guys think Melky would command on a 1-year term given his whole situation, anyway?

Old
11-14-2012, 03:19 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Joe Quimby View Post
Player\Manager ala Pete Rose!

Old
11-14-2012, 03:20 PM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeenSchenn2 View Post
How much money do you guys think Melky would command on a 1-year term given his whole situation, anyway?
I'd see him gettin 4-6, prob settle for 5, maybe a club option for a 2nd year with a higher salary, like 8.

Old
11-14-2012, 03:20 PM
topched

Quote:
FWIW, here's the selection of OF and 1B/DH left on the market from Keith Law's top 50 free agent listings, with their list rankings in brackets:

OF
CF B.J. Upton (#2)
CF/LF/DH Josh Hamilton (#3)
CF Michael Bourn (#4)
RF Nick Swisher (#10)
LF Melky Cabrera (#17)
CF Angel Pagan (#20)
OF Ichiro (#25)
LF Ryan Ludwick (#27)
LF/CF Shane Victorino (#29)
"OF"/DH Delmon Young (#45)

1B/DH
C/1B/DH Mike Napoli (#13)
1B Adam LaRoche (#16)
1B/3B Kevin Youkilis (#24)
1B/DH Lance Berkman (#28)
DH Jonny Gomes (#44)

One guy I would take a serious look at is Lance Berkman.

Someone who was completely off my radar because he didn't fit what we were doing... until yesterday

Switch hitter, can play 1B and OF in a pinch, but would be a solid DH. Gets him out of the NL so he doesn't have to play in the field every day, but would also be able to get in some defensive innings. Also a great veteran presence who has won a championship before.

He may actually be interested in coming here now, as we likely now have a place where he can win. 1 year with a mutual option. Has a good chance at outperforming whatever $ figure he is given because of his situation last year.

Old
11-14-2012, 03:23 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

Haven't heard much talk about Jeremy Jeffress. Assuming it's AAA for him?

11-14-2012, 03:28 PM
GoSensGo765
GO SENS GO!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
There is a reason you haven't heard much talk about him. He couldn't even crack the Royals roster full-time the last two seasons. Last year he had no record in just 13 games and 13 IP, the year before just a 1-1 record in 15 innings and 14 games. He's pitched a grand total of 38.1 innings in 3 years in the majors.

Granted, he is only 25 years old so there is room for improvement. The bullpen is pretty loaded anyway so I don't even see room for him. Let him work on things at AA and see what happens during the season.

Old
11-14-2012, 03:28 PM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post

Someone who was completely off my radar because he didn't fit what we were doing... until yesterday

Switch hitter, can play 1B and OF in a pinch, but would be a solid DH. Gets him out of the NL so he doesn't have to play in the field every day, but would also be able to get in some defensive innings. Also a great veteran presence who has won a championship before.

He may actually be interested in coming here now, as we likely now have a place where he can win. 1 year with a mutual option. Has a good chance at outperforming whatever $ figure he is given because of his situation last year.
Thought I read he was as good as signed to finish out his career with Houston?

Old
11-14-2012, 03:31 PM
Jozay
lolwut?

vCash: 950
What do you guys think about Logan Morrison?

Old
11-14-2012, 03:32 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

we need a veteran leader offensively hitting 5th
like winfield or molitor provided

Old
11-14-2012, 03:32 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Lawsuit incoming. Rogers has deep pockets, they can afford to spot me some millions and still pay the newest Jays
your gonna have to start putting TM at the of every new thread title.

Old
11-14-2012, 03:33 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post

The problem with Berkman is that he's basically a part-timer now because of age and injuries. He'd DH for sure, probably rarely, if ever, play 1B, and would need to get more days off than you might want out of a supposed "everyday" player. Remember, he had two knee surgeries last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
He'll be given a chance to make the roster, but he's out of options so if he doesn't stick with the Jays he could very well be claimed on waivers or refuse his assignment and be granted free agency.

And he'll be hard-pressed to make the team. He's got an absolute gun for an arm (he can touch triple digits), but he has serious command issues and some off-the-field/character concerns (he's been twice suspended in the minors for drugs. If he gets caught again, it's a lifetime ban from the minor leagues, which'd pretty much kill his career since he can't seem to secure regular MLB employment). He's going to have to really impress in spring training to get consideration.

And if he doesn't make it, it was only a minimal amount of cash paid to the royals for the opportunity.

Old
11-14-2012, 03:35 PM
GoSensGo765
GO SENS GO!!

Maybe AA is cooking up his next move already.

And any updates on the trade being 100% confirmed and approved by MLB? If so, when should we expect a comment from AA or the new Jays? Would love to hear the comments and than eventually a presser introducing them. Exciting times!!

Old
11-14-2012, 03:35 PM
Hyperglide

I stopped watching the Jays around July this season, and I am seeing no Jason Frasor in anyones mock bullpen rosters. Can someone explain to me what happened with him? It still says he's a Blue Jay on mlb.com. Is he a FA and not coming back or was he traded? I always thought he was a really solid pitcher and we should keep him if he's a FA.

Old
11-14-2012, 03:36 PM
SeenSchenn2
Have Faith GLG

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
we need a veteran leader offensively hitting 5th
like winfield or molitor provided
Assuming it's Reyes-Bonafacio/Lawrie-Bautista-Encarnation,

I think Lawrie or Rasmus could excel in the 5 spot.

Old
11-14-2012, 03:37 PM
Jozay
lolwut?

vCash: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperglide View Post
I stopped watching the Jays around July this season, and I am seeing no Jason Frasor in anyones mock bullpen rosters. Can someone explain to me what happened with him? It still says he's a Blue Jay on mlb.com. Is he a FA and not coming back or was he traded? I always thought he was a really solid pitcher and we should keep him if he's a FA.
I believe Frasor is a FA right now.

Old
11-14-2012, 03:38 PM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Jones View Post
Thought I read he was as good as signed to finish out his career with Houston?
Last I heard he the Astros GM said they would welcome him back, now that they're moving to the AL.

Question is does he want to play at home and finish his career the place he started?

Or does he want a chance to win another WS, possibly be part of something special here. And play in the spotlight at Yankee Stadium and Fenway?

I think he would give it some serious consideration if AA felt inclined to engage in talks.

I do feel that AA will want to make a little wiggleroom before signing another FA, whether thats moving Buck or Lind in a VW type heist... I don't think they're prepared to spend more than 120 mill on payroll.

Old
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
he's a free agent right now and there's just no room for him. He's a decent pitcher, but he wasn't as good last year as he'd been in the past, and we have younger, better options to fill his role.

Old
beer123

How can we pry Konerko from WhiteSox? He's that veteran/leader/1B we need.

Old
11-14-2012, 03:39 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
He's a free agent and likely won't be back and neither will Lyon. There is a slim chance that one of the two comes back but at this point I'd assume there both gone. They would require a little more money then the guys we now have in our bullpen. AA made a few trades to bring in additional relievers that are cheap and cost controlled. Frasor was a great jay but those days are likely done now.

Closed Thread