HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off-season Madness the 3rd: Jeffrey Loria taketh and Jeffrey Loria giveth away

Closed Thread

Old
11-14-2012, 03:39 PM
TieClark

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beer123 View Post
How can we pry Konerko from WhiteSox? He's that veteran/leader/1B we need.
No chance. They won't move him

Old
11-14-2012, 03:40 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeenSchenn2 View Post
Assuming it's Reyes-Bonafacio/Lawrie-Bautista-Encarnation,

I think Lawrie or Rasmus could excel in the 5 spot.
enh......maybe
more likely 2nd or 6th

i'd rather have someone proven who you know gets 25+ homers 90+ ribbies batting 5th
a swisher type

i fear bautista getting hurt again

Old
11-14-2012, 03:42 PM
Everlong
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
One guy I would take a serious look at is Lance Berkman.

Someone who was completely off my radar because he didn't fit what we were doing... until yesterday

Switch hitter, can play 1B and OF in a pinch, but would be a solid DH. Gets him out of the NL so he doesn't have to play in the field every day, but would also be able to get in some defensive innings. Also a great veteran presence who has won a championship before.

He may actually be interested in coming here now, as we likely now have a place where he can win. 1 year with a mutual option. Has a good chance at outperforming whatever $ figure he is given because of his situation last year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Jones View Post
Thought I read he was as good as signed to finish out his career with Houston?
None the less I just don't think it would be AA's MO to invest in someone who's career is as good as done. Would make alot of sense for him to finish his career in Houston but there hasn't been an visible progress since those rumors.

I'd be interested in Gomes out of that list. I'm sort of doing a bit of backtracking here because I remember Scion bringing him up earlier as a possible cheap option to platoon at 1st base, and I dusted that off swiftly. Reason being we had so many other issues, a platoon/bench bat was the least of our worries. So kudos to you Scion. I think he'd be a nice option that could fill a variety of roles and finish off this roster. Hits left handed pitching very well with a career .841 ops. He can play 1st, LF or be a bat with some pop off the bench. Pricetag is probably around the 2m mark. Peanuts.

Last edited by Everlong: 11-14-2012 at 03:52 PM.
Old
11-14-2012, 03:43 PM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
The problem with Berkman is that he's basically a part-timer now because of age and injuries. He'd DH for sure, probably rarely, if ever, play 1B, and would need to get more days off than you might want out of a supposed "everyday" player. Remember, he had two knee surgeries last year.
I think thats what could make this a great place for him. He'll be counted on to play DH as much as his body allows. We've got other options, whether its Lind/Buck, JP possible if D'Arnaud makes the team, Rajai Davis to change things up and give us different look.

Berkman could get away with playing 100 games of DH here and bat in that 5 spot behind two absolute sluggers, would be destined to put up some good numbers.

The fact that he's not an 140 games a year guy anymore will bring that price tag down.

EDIT: I'd also be interested in Gomes. Guy never gets any love year after year despite putting up some commendable numbers at the dish. He would be a nice option to platoon with Lind, and would cost a paltry amount compared to some of the other names getting thrown around.

Quote:
he's a free agent right now and there's just no room for him. He's a decent pitcher, but he wasn't as good last year as he'd been in the past, and we have younger, better options to fill his role.
Frasor was relatively reliable, but what he would bring over Esmil Rogers for example is marginal, but the pricetag would be about 3-4x. Not bringing back Frasor or Lyon facilitated the Anthopoheist.

Old
11-14-2012, 03:46 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

you could trade arencebia lind and rogers and free up about 12 mil
we'd still have a deep pen

Old
11-14-2012, 03:48 PM
Hyperglide

Quote:
he's a free agent right now and there's just no room for him. He's a decent pitcher, but he wasn't as good last year as he'd been in the past, and we have younger, better options to fill his role.
You guys are gonna miss Laura then!!

Ya I just checked his stats on mlb.com and he is pretty old for baseball years (not everyone can be Darren Oliver) and he seems to be on the downturn of his career. I'd still bring him back though if he accepts a cheapish contract. He'd be good as a depth guy.

Also who is this Jeremy Jeffress guy we traded for from the Royals? Was he just a minor league move? I miss having cable and not seeing these micro-transactions on a daily basis.

Old
11-14-2012, 03:59 PM
Epoch

Has Farrell told the media that Toronto is his dream job yet?

Old
11-14-2012, 04:03 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperglide View Post
You guys are gonna miss Laura then!!

Ya I just checked his stats on mlb.com and he is pretty old for baseball years (not everyone can be Darren Oliver) and he seems to be on the downturn of his career. I'd still bring him back though if he accepts a cheapish contract. He'd be good as a depth guy.

Also who is this Jeremy Jeffress guy we traded for from the Royals? Was he just a minor league move? I miss having cable and not seeing these micro-transactions on a daily basis.
High draft pick in 06 who flamed out as a starter and has had problems with getting busted for drug use off the field. He's a two-pitch reliever who can bring the heat (95-96mph average, though he can touch 100 on occasion) and has a curve that sits high 70s/low 80s.

Trouble is that he's got terrible command, walking a ton of guys and undoing his high strikeout potential by averaging a 1:1 strikeout-walk ratio.

He's also one more drug bust away from serious, serious ramifications/supensions, including a lifetime ban from the minors.

But like was said earlier, he's out of options too, so either he makes the Jays or he's likely gone.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."
'14-15 Sharks CI Tracker: 8 GP, 1-5-2 (home-away-Nat'l/In-Region)
Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
11-14-2012, 04:04 PM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epoch View Post
Has Farrell told the media that Toronto is his dream job yet?
I really hope the fans give it to him the 4th game of the season.

All out boos, signs, t-shirts, whatever we've got... throw at him.

All in all, given the trade we just made, I'm extremly happy with how everything turned out... that Farrell left before the Jays made the impact move.

Rather have a manager who was interested in managing here from the beginning then a guy who wanted out until we had more talent on the roster.

Old
11-14-2012, 04:05 PM
Quik
Agent 0091

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperglide View Post
Essentially the same thing as a waiver pick-up (AA said so himself), so if he can have a good showing in spring, mixed with someone going down, he might make the team, otherwise he's likely to be exposed to waivers and then if he passes through Buffalo it is.

Old
11-14-2012, 04:06 PM
Sergei Berezin

Quote:

All in all, given the trade we just made, I'm extremly happy with how everything turned out... that Farrell left before the Jays made the impact move.

Rather have a manager who was interested in managing here from the beginning then a guy who wanted out until we had more talent on the roster.
Do we really know that the incoming manager would've been interested before the big trade, though?

Old
11-14-2012, 04:09 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
you could trade arencebia lind and rogers and free up about 12 mil
we'd still have a deep pen
Why Rogers? he wont command much more then 700K.

Old
11-14-2012, 04:12 PM
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezza19 View Post
Maybe AA is cooking up his next move already.

And any updates on the trade being 100% confirmed and approved by MLB? If so, when should we expect a comment from AA or the new Jays? Would love to hear the comments and than eventually a presser introducing them. Exciting times!!
It's been approved, just needs to be finalized with physicals which are ongoing I assume. Should be official tomorrow

Old
11-14-2012, 04:12 PM
Giuseppe Sallo
ELE-VAT-ED

It's either Manny Acta or Ozzie Guillen to be our next coach... what do you guys think? I would love Tim Wallach.

Old
11-14-2012, 04:13 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Sallo View Post
It's either Manny Acta or Ozzie Guillen to be our next coach... what do you guys think? I would love Tim Wallach.
God I hope it's not Ozzie Guillen.

Old
11-14-2012, 04:13 PM
Giuseppe Sallo
ELE-VAT-ED

Quote:

Not classy. The guy must be fuming right now. crying in his sleep. Never was a fan of farrell, he did make some bonehead decisions while he was here.

King Anthoupoulos is da man!

Old
11-14-2012, 04:14 PM
Everlong
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Berezin View Post
Do we really know that the incoming manager would've been interested before the big trade, though?
I'm not sure AA planned it this way, but it's an interesting bit of psychology. Loyalty should play a big part in the signing of the new manager, and I'm not quite sure how good I'd feel about someone being hired who has only shown interest after this deal was made.

Also because I think it deserves being posted again:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong
JF - "I'm thrilled to be a part of the Red Sox organization and finally get my dream job."

KR - "I can confirm that the bluejays acquired Josh Johnson, Mark Buerle, Jose Reyes among others, immediately launching them into contender status."

JF - "Hey, do you still have that contract?"

Old
11-14-2012, 04:14 PM
Giuseppe Sallo
ELE-VAT-ED

Quote:
God I hope it's not Ozzie Guillen.
Me too. He's a bit of a hot head, and I don't rate him very highly. How about Cito Gaston?

Old
11-14-2012, 04:16 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Guillen? I don't think he's the kind of guy that would be on AA's radar but that's just my opinion. Not based on anything more than that.

Old
11-14-2012, 04:16 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Nobody's "hating on" Bay (as an aside, I really, really dislike the term "hater" and its variations. It's like no one is allowed to oppose anything anymore and all their rationale gets branded as worthless). The fact is that he's been terrible for the last few years, is 34, and has injury issues. If he could come in on a ST invite and have a chance to prove he can return somewhat to his older form, great. But giving him a contract that amounts to starting OF money would be extremely dumb at this point.

Fact is that if Jason Bay weren't Canadian, nobody here would be talking about acquiring him to be the everyday anything for this team.
While I agree with the last statement, two years ago he wasn't that bad. It was not his career average, but a .329 OBP is respectable. Not great, but respectable. If we had everyone on the team with a .320+ OBP we would be the best team in baseball.

Old
11-14-2012, 04:19 PM
Epoch

Quote:
I can only pray its not Guillen.

Old
11-14-2012, 04:19 PM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Berezin View Post
I'm guessing that anybody Beeston and AA were interested in was contacted prior to yesterday, and as AA mentioned they already have it down to a "short list of candidates".

So my assumption is that anyone who they hire would have already shown interest in the position.

EDIT: My vote goes to Waka. But if we're looking externally for someone with more experience I think Acta is a good fit. Our 3 best players are Dominican and he managed team DR in the WBC.

Old
11-14-2012, 04:20 PM
Giuseppe Sallo
ELE-VAT-ED

JT The Brick ‏@JTTheBrick

Quote:
Anyone who thinks Jose Reyes will be happy with #BlueJays after leaving his home, friends and the weather in South Florida is clueless.
He says Reyes is overrated. Bitter much?

Old
11-14-2012, 04:22 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
JT The Brick ‏@JTTheBrick

He says Reyes is overrated. Bitter much?
That guy seems like a winner. He's also a Yankees fan

Old
11-14-2012, 04:25 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
I'm guessing that anybody Beeston and AA were interested in was contacted prior to yesterday, and as AA mentioned they already have it down to a "short list of candidates".

So my assumption is that anyone who they hire would have already shown interest in the position.

EDIT: My vote goes to Waka. But if we're looking externally for someone with more experience I think Acta is a good fit. Our 3 best players are Dominican and he managed team DR in the WBC.
Not sure Acta's the ideal solution, but at least with him he's shown a willingness to strategize and analyze beyond clinging to 70+ year old managerial traditions just because it's what's always been done. He's said he's willing to look at advanced stats and listen to innovative ideas if he thinks it can help him win, and that kind of open-mindedness is refreshing.

Closed Thread