HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

AHL Amerks at Bulldogs Wed Nov 14 10:00AM ET

Old
11-14-2012, 11:31 AM
LaxSabre

vCash: 213
12:21 - Kevin Oklobzija@kevinoDandC - #Bulldogs tough-guy winger Zack Stortini yaps with #Amerks winger Marcus Foligno as they exit on line change. Storini wanted to fight.

12:26 - Kevin Oklobzija@kevinoDandC - The Amerks have been more intent on protecting the 0 on the scoreboard more than they have been trying to add to their 4 this period.

12:30 - Kevin Oklobzija@kevinoDandC - For those wondering, Nick Tarnasky has 4 goals in 13 games, matching his total in 36 games with Chevkohov Vityaz in the KHL last season. Nick Tarnasky did score 14 AHL goals in 68 games with the Springfield Falcons in 2005-06. Scored 7 in 66 games with Spr in '10-11.

12:31 - Kevin Oklobzija@kevinoDandC - And the #Bulldogs have ended David Leggio's shutout bid with 2:25 to play.

12:32 - Kevin Oklobzija@kevinoDandC - The Hamilton goal was scored by Joonas Nattinen after a lost faceoff. Point shot blocked, bounced to Nattinen above RW circle.

LaxSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 11:32 AM
Ralonzo
Я хочу!

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Ralonzo
Boooo, shutdown broken by Naatinen with 2 mins left, 4-1

Ralonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Rats, Leggio looking at a "Miller Shutout".

JPurp26

vCash: 300
There goes the shutout

JPurp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 11:34 AM
Ralonzo
Я хочу!

Send a message via Yahoo to Ralonzo
Miller and Leggio would love to have the leagues treat a shutout like a no-tap bowling league treats a strike.

Ralonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 11:40 AM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

vCash: 666
The GA came against a Girgensons-Sundher-Mancari shift; might've been Rolston getting a quick look of Sundher at center.

4-1 Amerks win. Stars: 1. Leggio; 2. Porter; 3. Nattinen.

Woodhouse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 11:40 AM
LaxSabre

vCash: 213
12:36 - Kevin Oklobzija@kevinoDandC - #Amerks win 4-1. Outshoot the #Bulldogs 30-27, including 18-11 over the final 40 minutes.

LS: Three Stars - #1 - David Leggio - #2 - Kevin Porter - #3 - Joonas Nattinen. Congrats Amerks on the win!

Well gotta run out and do some shopping etc! If anyone wants to watch some hockey on the telle - theres a KHL game scheduled to be shown on MSG at 1:00 pm ET.

LaxSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 12:05 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27 View Post
He's not really an offensive player at this point. He's playing well overall, but hasn't become a factor in the offensive zone.
He's probably still adjusting to the higher level of competition. The offense doesn't worry me that much if he's playing well in other facets of the game, which it seems he is.

New Sabres Captain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 12:18 PM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
He's not really an offensive player at this point. He's playing well overall, but hasn't become a factor in the offensive zone.
I still stand by the point he should`ve went to chl to improve his offensive game.

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 12:31 PM
spittoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Brennan with his seventh already. The kid can shoot... Too bad he isn't better at defense.
Stupid Quote.

spittoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 01:15 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
I still stand by the point he should`ve went to chl to improve his offensive game.
I disagree, but we've had this debate a million times. He's playing well. The offensive game will come. He's 18. He's probably got another 2 years in the AHL to work it out.

sabrefan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 01:42 PM
hockey18

I agree with spittoon, Brennan's defense has improved every year and when he was in buffalo, for all the games he played on a team not playing well, he ended up even. NObody else on buffalo has the offensive skill that he has and i can't believe he could play defense any worse then -18 or whatever weber was. Need to move on from the no defense thing

hockey18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 01:50 PM
Jacob582

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey18 View Post
I agree with spittoon, Brennan's defense has improved every year and when he was in buffalo, for all the games he played on a team not playing well, he ended up even. NObody else on buffalo has the offensive skill that he has and i can't believe he could play defense any worse then -18 or whatever weber was. Need to move on from the no defense thing
It's the reason he's still in the minors. Sorry, can't move on yet.

Jacob582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 01:53 PM
Jacob582

How about that Flynn!?

Better than signing an AHL veteran.

Old
11-14-2012, 02:02 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
+/- is not an indicator of defense.

I will say Brennan was for the most part not a major liability when he was up here. Mostly because he was playing sheltered minutes, but nevertheless I thought he was passable in the brief stints he was called up. He probably could step into a #7 role right now if he had to...but he definitely needs to improve on his defense before being trusted with anything more than PP and the odd ES shift here and there.

New Sabres Captain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 02:02 PM
spittoon

No, actually it's not the reason. Having 8 signed defensemen right now is the reason. But go ahead, please, make your case for Weber being in the NHL. At -18. Please, explain it. He's probably on a one-way, but exposing him and you lose what? Let me know when the clue comes to you.

spittoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 02:03 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob582 View Post
How about that Flynn!?

That depends on the veteran. Wouldn't be better than signing an Aucoin or Zigomanis. But he's better than re-signing Colin Stuart.

Old
11-14-2012, 02:04 PM
hockey18

thats why he is in the minors, besides the fact there is a strike on, can't guys get better and improve? Isn't he only 22 or 23? Takes d guys alot longer. Most of the guys on this board ride the same horse all the time and can't seem to think on your own. Been watching the pirates/amerks for 4 years now and he has improved each year. Thats what is supposed to happen in the minors. They are taught, worked on and trained to be NHL players. HOw come they can't get better?

hockey18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 02:22 PM
Jacob582

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittoon View Post
No, actually it's not the reason. Having 8 signed defensemen right now is the reason. But go ahead, please, make your case for Weber being in the NHL. At -18. Please, explain it. He's probably on a one-way, but exposing him and you lose what? Let me know when the clue comes to you.
Actually I was making the case why Brennan is not in the NHL.

1) He's not in the NHL because of his weak defense. Otherwise he would have earned a spot ont he team. He was drafted before Tyler Myers, they turned pro the same year. You don't see Myers in the minors, he's locked out with the rest of the NHL'ers.

2) He's not in the NHL because of the lockout: Weber played 58 games his 4th contract year (last 2-way contract). So the question is, if/when there is a NHL season will Brennan's defensive play warrant him playing in games over other D?

PS I have been a fan of Weber since his first season playing for the Amerks.

Old
11-14-2012, 02:25 PM
Tra La La

Quote:
How about that Flynn!?

Yes, AHL veterans don't have much NHL upside. I think Flynn can play in the NHL eventually.

Tra La La is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 02:29 PM
Jacob582

Quote:
That depends on the veteran. Wouldn't be better than signing an Aucoin or Zigomanis. But he's better than re-signing Colin Stuart.
Maybe, Maybe not. Flynn has more points this month than either of those two clowns. Let's see by the end of the season.
I say Flynn has more points per game than those two in the AHL and NHL this season.

Old
11-14-2012, 02:39 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Maybe, Maybe not. Flynn has more points this month than either of those two clowns. Let's see by the end of the season.
I say Flynn has more points per game than those two in the AHL and NHL this season.
If you want to bet who will have more points this season, Keith Aucoin or Brian Flynn, I will take Aucoin, thank you.

This isn't a debate. The 2 I mentioned are AHL all stars and Aucoin played very well for the Caps in the playoffs. Flynn has about 20 pro games in his career. Come on. Maybe he has a brighter future ahead, who knows. Too early to tell.

Old
11-14-2012, 03:08 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
C'mon. Ehrhoff has a better all-around offensive game in the NHL.

And, yeah, Brennan is worse at defense than Weber. Anyone who knows my take on Weber knows that I'm less than enamored with the guy, but he's decent defensively in his own end at the NHL level. Be careful with relying purely on +/- to determine defensive worth, else you'll end up concluding that MA Gragnani (+10) is a better defenseman than Robyn Regehr (-12). Unfortunately for Weber, he gets a majority of his zone starts in his defensive zone--not conducive to a quality +/-, of course--and Ruff had him punching above his weight class last year against competition that a third-pairing guy shouldn't be seeing that consistently.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 03:45 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

I think the voiced Amerks vet concern is more for when and if the lockout ends than now, as losing Hodgson, Foligno and possibly more will require someone to step up to maintain the scoring depth; lately it has been the Porter and Schofield lines carrying the team with Varone, Adam and Mancari being passengers which would be the concern when and if that time comes.

Brennan had a lot of turnovers and penalties early this season and was getting beat regularly; his pairing has been sub-par at best but sure the stats/shot do look nice. McNabb remains the first call-up, then there's Sulzer, Weber and Pardy hoping to fight for bottom-pair minutes. I don't see how he leapfrogs someone unless it's a like-for-like injury substitution (aka to get some PP minutes if Ehrhoff's sidelined). His zone coverage has not improved that much and I wouldn't have the confidence to give him anything more than sheltered NHL minutes from what I've seen. In contrast, the rookie Pysyk has been much more in control in his own zone.

Girgensons had 2-3 good chances in this game breaking in on the wing but his shot let him down in the end (one into chest/pads, others wide). No rush here, leave him be. He's fitting in nicely on his line with Porter and Flynn.

Old
11-14-2012, 03:51 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator