HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Riley Sheahan Arrested

Old
11-14-2012, 01:43 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArGarBarGar View Post
I guess if you consider these remotely the same then I suppose you might have a point. Assuming that everyone else agrees that these are remotely the same.
From 17 to 24, I probably drove drunk/buzzed about 25 times.
Never came close to an accident. I was one of those guys who understood he drank too much and was uber careful.
Probably went way too slow, which is dangerous in its own right.

A few weeks ago, I was looking at my GPS trying to find something. suddenly everyone in front of me stopped while my attention was elsewhere and I had to brake like a mofo to avoid an accident.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 02:43 PM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
I had a friend drive drunk once and drive into a frozen lake.

What's your point?

ArGarBarGar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 04:22 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
I had a friend drive drunk once and drive into a frozen lake.

What's your point?
What's your point?

Some people use being drunk as an excuse to be crazy, stupid and dangerous.
My point is that there are lots of ways to be stupid and risk people's lives. Drunk driving is a nice little issue that people can pile on about and make sweeping, dramatic generalizations

Old
11-14-2012, 04:32 PM
FissionFire

Quote:
And here comes the onslaught of holier-than-thou internet warriors... MOD

He's 20 years old. Spare me the hysterics.
So drunk that he was going the wrong way on a one-way street when the cops pulled him over. Yep, that's not something to get upset about at all. I'm sure Dany Heatley agrees that youthful indescretions with alcohol are no big deal.

Kids makes mistakes, as Sheahan did in 2010. Idiots don't learn from them, as apparently Sheahan hasn't.

FissionFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 04:39 PM
BSHH
HSVer & Rotflügel

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazerbullet View Post
A part of me hopes that this kid never makes it big time in the NHL. Driving while drunk is totally stupid and threatens directly other lives. There are no excuses, 20 or not. I hope this kid understands how stupid and lucky (because he didn't kill anyone) he was.
Every part of me hopes that this kid makes it big time in the NHL, as long as he is the Red Wings' prospect and property. Driving that drunk is not a petty crime, but no rare one either. Anyway, I do feel neither entitled nor called upon to throw the first stone at him.

Sheahan certainly was lucky that no one was harmed. I'd wager to say he was also lucky to get busted - otherwise he might not have adressed his drinking problem. If he does not even take this arrest as a warning, he will be too stupid for future NHL tasks anyway.

Gruß,
BSHH

BSHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 04:39 PM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Quote:
What's your point?

My point is that there are lots of ways to be stupid and risk people's lives. Drunk driving is a nice little issue that people can pile on about and make sweeping, dramatic generalizations
Who has been making these sweeping, dramatic generalizations?

The guy made a stupid mistake. People aren't going to like it, especially those who have been victims or alcohol related accidents.

Besides, none of your examples puts the driver in a uncompromisable position during the entire course of the trip as drunk driving does. Possibly driving while tired, but normally people get into trouble when they fall asleep at the wheel.

I would also like to know where anyone has said they wouldn't be mad at a prospect if they texted and drove and caused an accident, or fell asleep at the wheel, or ran a yellow and hit somebody.

Old
11-14-2012, 04:41 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by FissionFire View Post
So drunk that he was going the wrong way on a one-way street when the cops pulled him over. Yep, that's not something to get upset about at all. I'm sure Dany Heatley agrees that youthful indescretions with alcohol are no big deal.

Kids makes mistakes, as Sheahan did in 2010. Idiots don't learn from them, as apparently Sheahan hasn't.
You just called a guy an idiot based in two things you know about him. Did it feel good?

Old
11-14-2012, 04:43 PM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Quote:
You just called a guy an idiot based in two things you know about him. Did it feel good?
Yes, this is the first time anyone has called someone an idiot for doing something stupid.

Old
11-14-2012, 04:51 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Who has been making these sweeping, dramatic generalizations?

The guy made a stupid mistake. People aren't going to like it, especially those who have been victims or alcohol related accidents.

Besides, none of your examples puts the driver in a uncompromisable position during the entire course of the trip as drunk driving does. Possibly driving while tired, but normally people get into trouble when they fall asleep at the wheel.

I would also like to know where anyone has said they wouldn't be mad at a prospect if they texted and drove and caused an accident, or fell asleep at the wheel, or ran a yellow and hit somebody.
I am not talking about the legal ramifications or getting in trouble. I am talking about the rush to character judgement.
Also, what about the guy who texts and drives but Doesn't cause a crash. Or the sleepy driver who doesn't cause a crash. Or the speeder or yellow light runner that doesn't cause a crash
Drunk as he was, he didn't cause a
Crash

Old
11-14-2012, 04:55 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

Maybe Captain Bob's view is colored a bit by the fact that he appears to have been a habitual drunk driver?

TheMoreYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 04:58 PM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Quote:
I am not talking about the legal ramifications or getting in trouble. I am talking about the rush to character judgement.
Also, what about the guy who texts and drives but Doesn't cause a crash. Or the sleepy driver who doesn't cause a crash. Or the speeder or yellow light runner that doesn't cause a crash
Drunk as he was, he didn't cause a
Crash
You can tell me when those situations happen, because as of right now the only offense that a Red Wings prospect is in trouble for right now is drunk driving. And he was driving in a situation that very very few people put themselves in (drunk or otherwise) and could have easily killed somebody. If someone was texting and drove the wrong way on a road and was arrested for it, I wouldn't be happy with that person, either.

Also looking for those sweeping, dramatic generalizations that everyone is making.

Old
11-14-2012, 05:42 PM
lazerbullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Maybe Captain Bob's view is colored a bit by the fact that he appears to have been a habitual drunk driver?
And his own "stats" are presented as achievement.

lazerbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 06:06 PM
newfy

Quote:
I guess if you consider these remotely the same then I suppose you might have a point. Assuming that everyone else agrees that these are remotely the same.
To be fair, driving and texting has been shown to be as dangerous as drunk driving...

Bob is kinda right about the moral thing, drniking is seen as bad but you have no issue with the texting even though its just as bad

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 06:22 PM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
To be fair, driving and texting has been shown to be as dangerous as drunk driving...

Bob is kinda right about the moral thing, drniking is seen as bad but you have no issue with the texting even though its just as bad
I never said I didn't think texting was bad, though.

And Sheahan wasn't arrested for driving the wrong way because he was texting and driving. He was arrested for driving the wrong way because he was drunk driving.

Three posts in and Bob went on the defensive. Why, I have no idea.

Old
11-14-2012, 06:31 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
What's your point?

This is kind of true, both are dangerous but for instance about 1/3 of fatal crashes involve drunk driving. That is slightly higher but percentage wise in the same ballpark as the 1/3 that is attributed to excessive speed. So really speeding is almost as dangerous statistically as drunk driving. Both are always illegal....

I am not saying drunk driving is a good thing or even acceptable. But you would think it was the only way people died in a car. About just as dangerous is speeding and I would guess having phone conversations and texting is climb the list rapidly.

People can trot out the losing all respect and things of nature. I get that and I feel sorry for anyone who has lost a loved one to this kind of event. But cars are dangerous things and a lot of what people do with them is stupid, the numbers breed that out and my guess is most everyone has done something that is statistically stupid in a car. So while drunk driving might be the ultimate no no and certainly it is societally, the numbers dictate a lot of people are doing things that are quite hazardous behind the wheel.

You might want to be careful about how high up on that horse you get.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 06:34 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:

Actually in most tests I have read it is deemed a lot worse. That is usually the big eye popping line they use to explain just how bad it is.

Quote:
Rigging a car with a red light to alert drivers when to brake, the magazine tested how long it takes to hit the brake when sober, when legally drunk at .08, when reading and e-mail, and when sending a text. The results are scary. Driving 70 miles per hour on a deserted air strip Car and Driver editor Eddie Alterman was slower and slower reacting and braking when e-mailing and texting.

The results:

Unimpaired: .54 seconds to brake
Legally drunk: add 4 feet
Reading e-mail: add 36 feet
Sending a text: add 70 feet
http://www.cnbc.com/id/31545004/Text...ng_and_Driving

Of course Sheahan would probably be more than the four feet, but would be surprised if even at twice the legal limit the number shoots up that much from legally drunk to where outright distracted text driving hits.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 06:54 PM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
Actually in most tests I have read it is deemed a lot worse. That is usually the big eye popping line they use to explain just how bad it is.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/31545004/Text...ng_and_Driving

Of course Sheahan would probably be more than the four feet, but would be surprised if even at twice the legal limit the number shoots up that much from legally drunk to where outright distracted text driving hits.
Not to drag this conversation further, but reaction time isn't the only issue when it comes to traffic collisions. I really doubt that is the reason most drunk drivers crash.

Old
11-14-2012, 08:00 PM
icKx

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
He and just about every other 21 year old.

Doesn't mean it's right, but young people are generally reckless drinkers.

icKx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 08:02 PM
pdd

Quote:
Never came close to an accident. I was one of those guys who understood he drank too much and was uber careful.
Probably went way too slow, which is dangerous in its own right.

A few weeks ago, I was looking at my GPS trying to find something. suddenly everyone in front of me stopped while my attention was elsewhere and I had to brake like a mofo to avoid an accident.
Bob, you know that wide banking turn on westbound Jackson Road near Weber's Inn? I knew two people who died from DUI before they finally put in a guard rail. Whether you were "uber careful" or not doesn't matter. If the Wings stick by Sheahan, will they end up with a dead prospect in a year, or losing a prospect to the prison system? Those are concerns people have. That's why this is serious.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 08:09 PM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:

There are actually quite a few public service announcements in MADD fashion that are trying to get people to understand texting and driving is very hazardous and can result in fatal collisions. In 39 states texting while driving is outlawed. I will never understand the thinking that because there is another activity that is similarly hazardous it makes the other less dangerous or more acceptable.

So yeah, drunk driving is totally okay because texting while driving is legal in a few backwards states.

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 08:11 PM
icKx

Quote:
When I was 22 I drove tired and totaled my SUV. Began to nod off, heard the tires hit the gravel shoulder, panicked and over-corrected the wheel.

Had I been drinking I probably would have lost my license, served jail time, probation, been subject to drug and alcohol testing and paid thousands of dollars. Instead I got a lecture from the Sheriff Deputy at the scene and my insurance cut a check.

icKx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 08:26 PM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by icKx View Post
When I was 22 I drove tired and totaled my SUV. Began to nod off, heard the tires hit the gravel shoulder, panicked and over-corrected the wheel.

Had I been drinking I probably would have lost my license, served jail time, probation, been subject to drug and alcohol testing and paid thousands of dollars. Instead I got a lecture from the Sheriff Deputy at the scene and my insurance cut a check.
I did say normally. And it is a much more complicated situation considering being tired isn't something you can quantify to the degree that you can with intoxication.

Besides, it's beside the entire point. Do the dangers of any of those things negate the dangers of drunk driving?

Old
11-14-2012, 10:32 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

Texting and driving is something I look down just as much as drunk driving and the ditzes/idiots who do it should get lifetime driving bans as well. Introduce a special bus line for them, make it very short buses.

TheMoreYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 10:53 PM
sawchuk1971

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
I agree that he needs help. He needs a solid mentor. Or his current mentor(s) needs to do a better job. He's only 20, but he's part of a network that includes older, more experienced guys, and they should be looking out for him. However, his first alcohol-related offense was something that a vast majority of college students do (and especially athletes), it's just that he was unlucky enough to be in the minority that got caught. I can't hold that first one against him at all, and it doesn't play into this second for me. But the second one is indeed bad.

I'm bordering on drunk as I write this, but it's ok, I'm not in a car, and I'M A MAN, I'M IN MY 30'S!
maybe he needs some intervention and some advice by Mac-T.......he killed someone back in 1984 while drunk...

sawchuk1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 11:05 PM
sawchuk1971

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricoh View Post
According to the Sheahan defenders it's no big deal. We should just give him a high five and tell him to carry on. I hope he realizes that two alcohol related arrests indicate he cannot enjoy alcohol responsibly and needs to get this under control. Perhaps he really has cut back on his drinking since this arrest and that's why he's playing better. If so let's hope he can keep his drinking under control. All it takes is one bad drunk driving accident to seriously **** up someone's life.
yeah...go ask Mac-T

sawchuk1971 is offline   Reply With Quote