HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Brent Burns to Edmonton

Closed Thread

Old
11-14-2012, 05:59 PM
Gentle Jake Virtanen
canucks? time to go.

vCash: 50
Brent Burns to Edmonton

Oil Need a physical, puck moving Dman to replace Ryan Whitney who will likely walk (limp?) during free agency. Sharks need young players to replenish their terrible prospect pool. Both sides have something the other needs.

Old
11-14-2012, 06:00 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1379
Nope.

Old
11-14-2012, 06:01 PM
Vankiller Whale
Propaganda Minister

vCash: 900
One of the big 4 to bring the Sharks to the table, I think.

Old
11-14-2012, 06:04 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

vCash: 500
It would probably take more to get him then what the Sharks gave up considering now he's on an okay contract with term and back then he was a year away from being a UFA.

Old
11-14-2012, 06:06 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Let me be a little more clear.

Brent Burns is the most untouchable Shark in my books. He's 27, 6'5'', has a wicked wrister, elite skating, strong positional play, and underrated defense. As of the second half of last season, he is our #1 defenseman. He's signed to an awesome contract for 5 more years. He's not going anywhere.

Burns fits in with our core perfectly, plus he's a perfect compliment to 25 y/o Vlasic. Those two are going to be our top pairing for a while.

We traded Setoguchi, Coyle, and a first to get him. Unless you can blow that out of the water, it's not happening.

Old
11-14-2012, 06:10 PM
AndyPipkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Let me be a little more clear.

Brent Burns is the most untouchable Shark in my books. He's 27, 6'5'', has a wicked wrister, elite skating, strong positional play, and underrated defense. As of the second half of last season, he is our #1 defenseman. He's signed to an awesome contract for 5 more years. He's not going anywhere.

Burns fits in with our core perfectly, plus he's a perfect compliment to 25 y/o Vlasic. Those two are going to be our top pairing for a while.

We traded Setoguchi, Coyle, and a first to get him. Unless you can blow that out of the water, it's not happening.
Basically what I said. His value has only gone up.

Old
11-14-2012, 06:11 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
Basically what I said. His value has only gone up.
Plus he only had one year on his contract when he got that trade return. Now he has 5. And he's a much more complete player.

But yeah. Close thread.

Old
11-14-2012, 06:13 PM
AndyPipkin

Quote:
Plus he only had one year on his contract when he got that trade return. Now he has 5. And he's a much more complete player.

But yeah. Close thread.
Took the words right out of my mouth.

Old
11-14-2012, 06:14 PM
Booyakasha
Nailinus Omarkupov

Quote:

But yeah. Close thread.
I agree, close thread, nothing good can come from this.

Old
11-14-2012, 06:15 PM
Gentle Jake Virtanen
canucks? time to go.

Quote:
Setoguchi has been, for the last three seasons, a 40 point player at best, and only hit north of that once, when he hit 65. Coyle is an average prospect. The first round pick was 28th Overall.

even if he did get much better, which he did, I don't see how it warrants any of the top 4, save for Yakupov who is totally unproven in the NHL.

Old
11-14-2012, 06:17 PM
LeHabsMan

Something more valuable than Setoguchi, Coyle and a 1st.

Maybe MPS, Musil, Lander/Pitlick and a 1st. Probably another prospect would probably have to be added.

Burns is very valuable, fairly young and has a good contract. I am probably underrating.

Old
11-14-2012, 06:18 PM
Qrispy

lol Since when is Burns physical?

Old
11-14-2012, 06:22 PM
AndyPipkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangerine View Post
Setoguchi has been, for the last three seasons, a 40 point player at best, and only hit north of that once, when he hit 65. Coyle is an average prospect. The first round pick was 28th Overall.

even if he did get much better, which he did, I don't see how it warrants any of the top 4, save for Yakupov who is totally unproven in the NHL.
They basically had to give up 3 first rounders one of which is already a .60 ppg player.

Burns has only gotten better and is now on a good contract. You'd have to be paying much more.

Old
11-14-2012, 06:25 PM
Szechwan
Plug Life.

Quote:

You realize that's still 3 first round assets right? The point is, Burns is a young, huge, mobile #1 d-man on a long contract- that type of player is worth a premium to NHL teams.

You might think you can throw together a mish mash of picks and lesser prospects like that Habs fan just did, but the Sharks have ZERO reason to move him- and won't.

Old
11-14-2012, 06:26 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:

Setoguchi is a 2nd line RW with great speed and physical play. He's a 20-goal 50-point player when he's not on the worst scoring team in the league or injured or player with Matt Cullen as his center.

Coyle is not an average prospect. He's a blue-chipper, and he's certainly better than any prospect the Oilers have save Yakupov/Schultz. He's on the same goals per game pace as Eberle in the AHL.

And a 28th overall is still a good pick that has significant value.

There is nothing, and I repeat, nothing outside Hall/RNH that would make me want to move him. Ergo, he won't be traded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4TheCup View Post
Something more valuable than Setoguchi, Coyle and a 1st.

Maybe MPS, Musil, Lander/Pitlick and a 1st. Probably another prospect would probably have to be added.

Burns is very valuable, fairly young and has a good contract. I am probably underrating.
I'll say. I like MPS, but Musil and Lander are not remotely enticing and the Oilers with Burns are not a bottom-10 team.

Old
11-14-2012, 06:27 PM
Neatman

Sounds like the sharks have a perfectly good reason not to move him, and absolutely no to the Oil offering one of the big 4. Not going to happen.

Old
11-14-2012, 06:27 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

you're frootloops if you think he's a more complete player than when he was with the Wild. Burns "got it" about three years ago and has been playing well ever since. change in system or a decent coach--he looked horrible defensively under Richards but that was because he literally had to do everything himself out there. He was out of position so much because he was our only scoring threat.

Anyway, no way anyone is getting Burns on that deal for what the Sharks gave up for him. He gets some love around HF but not enough, IMO...Edmonton would absolutely have to give up one of their big four forwards and even then I don't know if it would be worth it. If the wild's prospect pool wasn't so empty at the time of the trade there is no way we would have dished him. Sharks are nowhere near as desperate as the Wild were, and while their prospect pool is pretty grim (relatively speaking) they have some actual skill on the roster where the Wild had...Koivu.

tl;dr Burns is immovable unless your team is desperate for a rebuild or the other team gives up a player with equal value (star quality).

Old
11-14-2012, 06:28 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:

Okay, forget all that for a second. A top pairing, young defender who is signed at a discount rate for years to come should be worth a young 1st line forward who is under contract for a relatively equal term and is not overpaid. By my count Edmonton has a few of those such players, but they are all considered to be part of their future big 4. SJS can't afford to move a defenseman anyways, that's why they went out last offseason and re-stocked.

Old
11-14-2012, 06:36 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
you're frootloops if you think he's a more complete player than when he was with the Wild. Burns "got it" about three years ago and has been playing well ever since. change in system or a decent coach--he looked horrible defensively under Richards but that was because he literally had to do everything himself out there. He was out of position so much because he was our only scoring threat.
To me, he took another big step forward in February. Scored at a little over .5PPG and also got comfortable in the Sharks system. But yeah, he was a stud for Minnesota for sure.

It was a great hockey trade for both parties. Sharks needed a young top-pairing defenseman, Minnesota needed young forwards. Setoguchi had some off-ice issues with the Sharks and they had 7 top-6 forwards anyway, so it was a win-win for everyone.

Old
11-14-2012, 06:37 PM
Security Guard Chang*
Chang's Army

Klefbom + Shultz

Old
11-14-2012, 06:38 PM
Gentle Jake Virtanen
canucks? time to go.

Quote:
Setoguchi is a 2nd line RW with great speed and physical play. He's a 20-goal 50-point player when he's not on the worst scoring team in the league or injured or player with Matt Cullen as his center.

Coyle is not an average prospect. He's a blue-chipper, and he's certainly better than any prospect the Oilers have save Yakupov/Schultz. He's on the same goals per game pace as Eberle in the AHL.

And a 28th overall is still a good pick that has significant value.

There is nothing, and I repeat, nothing outside Hall/RNH that would make me want to move him. Ergo, he won't be traded.

I'll say. I like MPS, but Musil and Lander are not remotely enticing and the Oilers with Burns are not a bottom-10 team.
Charlie Coyle has ten points. We've got Teemu Hartikainen, who is an average prospects who will maybe be a third liner in the NHL, who has 11 points. I can see how you value him highly (Oilers fans pump Teemu's tires whenever possible), but ultimately, both are worth about a low first at best.

Setoguchi has only hit 50 points once in 4 full seasons. The last three seasons have been 36, 41 and 36 points. Not bad, but not worth one of the big 4 either.

28th overall is indeed still a good pick, but honestly even nowadays with good scouting, it's a long shot that they will play in the NHL, and an especially long shot for them to be impact players.

If we have to give up something like Gagner, Hartikainen, Musil and a top-15 protected first round pick in 2013 for Burns, I'd do it. Or even just Gagner, Hartikainen and Klefbom.

Old
11-14-2012, 06:40 PM
AndyPipkin

Quote:
Charlie Coyle has ten points. We've got Teemu Hartikainen, who is an average prospects who will maybe be a third liner in the NHL, who has 11 points. I can see how you value him highly (Oilers fans pump Teemu's tires whenever possible), but ultimately, both are worth about a low first at best.

Setoguchi has only hit 50 points once in 4 full seasons. The last three seasons have been 36, 41 and 36 points. Not bad, but not worth one of the big 4 either.

28th overall is indeed still a good pick, but honestly even nowadays with good scouting, it's a long shot that they will play in the NHL, and an especially long shot for them to be impact players.

If we have to give up something like Gagner, Hartikainen, Musil and a top-15 protected first round pick in 2013 for Burns, I'd do it. Or even just Gagner, Hartikainen and Klefbom.
That is getting there, but unless there is a sure thing I'd think SJ would want a legit player back.

Old
11-14-2012, 06:42 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

just be patient, oilers, and your D will fix itself. You have to give up the idea that you get to keep your big four offensive guys and still get a top pairing D in a trade. it isn't going to happen.

Old
11-14-2012, 06:43 PM
Gentle Jake Virtanen
canucks? time to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
That is getting there, but unless there is a sure thing I'd think SJ would want a legit player back.
Gagner is a legit player. Teemu and Klefa are probably our two best prospects after Justin Schultz. Musil is probably next after that along with Marincin. Of all our prospects, these are the ones that Oilers fans think will most likely have an impact in the NHL.

Old
11-14-2012, 06:43 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 1081
I'd guess San Jose would want Edmonton to start with Klefbom, a 1st rounder, and ____.

Quote:
Gagner is a legit player. Teemu and Klefa are probably our two best prospects after Justin Schultz. Musil is probably next after that along with Marincin. Of all our prospects, these are the ones that Oilers fans think will most likely have an impact in the NHL.
To make a good proposal, you need to consider the other team's needs. Where would Gagner fit on San Jose's roster? They don't have room.

Closed Thread