HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Off-season Madness the 3rd: Jeffrey Loria taketh and Jeffrey Loria giveth away

Closed Thread

Old
11-14-2012, 05:50 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

vCash: 500
Congrats to David Price for CY Young. Verlander was slightly better but Price had heck of a year.

It certainly will help Price get more through arbitration so that hurts the Rays a bit financially. Come on Rays, trade some of that pitching of yours to the NL!

Old
11-14-2012, 05:50 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

If we improve any position, I want a Outfielder. That way if Bautista goes down to injury, we don't lose as much.

I'm perfectly fine with keeping Lind. I think he'll have a good year (I thought he played well after coming up from the minors), especially considering he wont have any pressure. I'd also much prefer Lind in the everyday lineup to a guy like Davis.

I don't want to move Arencibia though!!!!!!!!!! Please AA, for me, don't do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckleys View Post
Any chance we can get LaRoche?
I'd rather not overpay for him. I don't think he's THAT big of an upgrade on what Lind provided after he was called up.

We need a fielder. If we lose Bombtista, we have nothing to cover that hole. We have Edwin, Cooper, and Lind who can all play the 1B spot if needed.

If Bautista got hurt, we're looking at Bonifacio - Rasmus - Davis/Sierra (no thanks!)

Old
11-14-2012, 05:52 PM
NeverGoingToWin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
Congrats to David Price for CY Young. Verlander was slightly better but Price had heck of a year.

It certainly will help Price get more through arbitration so that hurts the Rays a bit financially. Come on Rays, trade some of that pitching of yours to the NL!
Very happy that Verlander lost. Can't stand that guy. The fact he threw a no hitter on my BD is a factor.

Old
weems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scion View Post
John Buck has been terrible against righties and lefties the past couple of seasons, and doesn't have strong career splits either. I'm not sure what makes you think that he would be a good platoon bat.

Losing Josh Johnson frees up nearly 14M in pay-roll, and nets the Jays a compensation pick, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, and FTR Jose Reyes is easily the most valuable asset in this trade, not Josh Johnson.

In fact, pitcher attrition rates being what they are, I'm not sure I would even be comfortable with signing Johnson to an extension, assuming that he will be looking to set the record for money earned by a FA SP.
So you think we should just let Johnson walk after this season?
If you dont want to resign Johnson why not deal him at the deadline for a package of nice prospects?

Old
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post
So you think we should just let Johnson walk after this season?
If you dont want to resign Johnson why not deal him at the deadline for a package of nice prospects?
Because we are in contention?

Old
11-14-2012, 05:53 PM
NeverGoingToWin

Quote:
Totally different situations. We werent commiting to two potentially albatross deals in that scenario. I was also being extremely reactionary when those posts were made because are rotation was going down in flames.
No such thing as an albatross contract with AA.

Old
11-14-2012, 05:55 PM
weems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man View Post
Sure possibly but if we arent in a strong playoff position I wouldnt hesitate to deal him.

I'm shocked people are now actually fine with Johnson bolting at years end.

If he does this trade is going to look quite awful for us longterm me thinks.

Old
11-14-2012, 05:55 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

One thing I'll say about a possible JJ extension, I don't think he will get extended right away but if he is healthy and pitching well mid-season, you can bet AA will be having a lot of talks with him but in the off-season? I dunno, seems hard to see him signing an extension. Jays likely won't be comfortable offering big money for a guy with durability issues and you don't know how well he will pitch in the AL East (I don't think it will be a big factor to him but still... a possibility).

JJ will likely always stay in Jays price in terms of years no matter how healthy or good he is this season which may be a big factor. I can't see any team committing beyond 5 years for him + huge money.

Old
11-14-2012, 05:56 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man View Post
Depends what other other pitchers are doing and what the offer is. If everyone from top to bottom is pitching well, we may not need him going into the playoffs (if he makes it clear he doesn't want to stay here). If he doesn't want to stay while you get a good offer and everyone from Morrow to Happ is pitching well, you have to consider pulling the trigger.

Old
11-14-2012, 05:57 PM
NeverGoingToWin

Quote:
One thing I'll say about a possible JJ extension, I don't think he will get extended right away but if he is healthy and pitching well mid-season, you can bet AA will be having a lot of talks with him but in the off-season? I dunno, seems hard to see him signing an extension. Jays likely won't be comfortable offering big money for a guy with durability issues and you don't know how well he will pitch in the AL East (I don't think it will be a big factor to him but still... a possibility).

JJ will likely always stay in Jays price in terms of years no matter how healthy or good he is this season which may be a big factor. I can't see any team committing beyond 5 years for him + huge money.
Does this matter as much now? O's and Rays have weak lineups and Red Sox at the moment don't have the killer line-up they used to.

Old
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Sure possibly but if we arent in a strong playoff position I wouldnt hesitate to deal him.

I'm shocked people are now actually fine with Johnson bolting at years end.

If he does this trade is going to look quite awful for us longterm me thinks.
Depends on if they will be able to use that freed up payroll to sign someone to replace him. If they can't, yeah it might look good... unless y'know, Jays go nuts and win the world series... then it will always be a win.

Old
weems

Just yesterday when the trade breaks everyone is saying that locking up Johnson is essential and key. Now his agent comes out today and says some suspicious things and everyone is all the sudden cool with him just walking for nothing at the end of the year because we would get a compensation pick and 13 million comes off the books?

Old
11-14-2012, 05:58 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Just yesterday when the trade breaks everyone is saying that locking up Johnson is essential and key. Now his agent comes out today and says some suspicious things and everyone is all the sudden cool with him just walking for nothing at the end of the year because we would get a compensation pick and 13 million comes off the books?
I'm not fine with him walking - not at all.

But I hope AA is starts talking extension as soon as next week and we can get him locked up long-term.

Old
11-14-2012, 05:58 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

If it's obvious he doesn't want to stay and we're not in contention, then you obviously try and trade him. That's two things we really can't answer at this point however.

Old
11-14-2012, 05:59 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysLeafsTFCfan View Post
Does this matter as much now? O's, Rays have weak lineups and Red Sox, at the moment don't have the killer line-up they used to.
It might not... but off-season has just began. Red Sox have the payroll and Orioles will be itching to do something too. I expect Rays to trade some of that pitching to upgrade their offense too.

I expect Red Sox to make some big moves and upgrade their team big.

Old
11-14-2012, 05:59 PM
NeverGoingToWin

Weems don't start with the everyone talk that other posters use. I have not seen that many say it would be okay.

Old
11-14-2012, 06:00 PM
weems

Quote:
Depends on if they will be able to use that freed up payroll to sign someone to replace him. If they can't, yeah it might look good... unless y'know, Jays go nuts and win the world series... then it will always be a win.
Do you think we'll be able to sign a pitcher or Johnsons quality and stuff in free agency?

Hey if the Jays make the playoffs this season then sure it lessens the blow but still Johnson is such a massive part of the trade and I bet he was the starting point to all trade discussions and it eventually escalated.

Old
11-14-2012, 06:01 PM
GoSensGo765
GO SENS GO!!

Nop, I wouldn't be fine with him walking at all. I've wanted to see him as a Jay for years and I am super stoked AA finally got him. He's a huge part of the deal and I think AA is really high on him. I really hope he gets locked up.

Old
11-14-2012, 06:01 PM
Lebanese Leaf

I listened to the same interview with JJ's agent as all of you, and all I can say is WOW, over-reaction much?

It's an agent doing what he does best... hyping his commodity to maximize its value. Like a car salesman trying to tell you how his car is the best on the market, and will be worth every penny you're about to overpay for it. They're salesmen, its what they do.

So when he says he expects his client to receive the largest contract ever given to a pitcher if he plays up to his potential, he isn't saying that JJ won't sign in Toronto, he is simply hyping up his client so that his value begins to rise from now, and he ultimately makes the most money.

Its all business folks, nothing personal.

Old
11-14-2012, 06:02 PM
weems

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysLeafsTFCfan View Post
Weems don't start with the everyone talk that other posters use. I have not seen that many say it would be okay.
I've seen 3 prominent posters defend him walking in the last 20 minutes.

Old
11-14-2012, 06:03 PM
Drew311
Catch The Taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
I'm not fine with him walking - not at all.

But I hope AA is starts talking extension as soon as next week and we can get him locked up long-term.
AA should probably see how he pitches in Toronto/AL East before locking him up to a lucrative, long-term deal.

Old
11-14-2012, 06:04 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Quote:
I've seen 3 prominent posters defend him walking in the last 20 minutes.
I am not defending him walking. I and I believe the others are merely saying if he walks we at least get something for him so its not as if we are left empty handed. At the very least we get 1 year of an ace pitcher to anchor our rotation.

Old
11-14-2012, 06:05 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

You know, just because it was "one trade" doesn't mean one piece not working out spoils the whole bunch. JJ himself probably amounts to something like Escobar and Marisnick when you break it down. Losing those two for one year of JJ and a pick, isn't something I am willing to jump off a bridge over.

Old
11-14-2012, 06:05 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Sorry but recouping one compensation pick doesnt excite me. Johnson is the key to the deal and basically the reason we took on Reyes and Buerhles contracts. To give up all the young talent and lock into the money longterm we did it would be extremely dissapointing if he just walked. If he doesnt want to sign a extension when presented then we should deal him.
Nothing like a little chicken little and dramatics in the midst of one of the most significant transactions in Blue Jay history. I guess AA should have veto'd the trade with the chance that he may not re-sign? Purely ridiculous. When you have the chance to aquire a player of his talent you do it, if he leaves the Jays get a comp pick, and he may even sign here.

On the comments of Mccown; Bob is actually a very nice guy to meet in person, and is very well connected with various baseball executives.

Old
11-14-2012, 06:11 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

wow that was close LOL

price is the cy cyoung

http://bbwaa.com/12-al-cy/

shi davidi votes Price - and that was the difference maker!

Player,,,,,, 1st 2nd 3rd Total
Price,,,,,,, 14 13 1 153
Verlander, 13 13 2 149

Closed Thread