HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 5)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-14-2012, 06:59 PM
  #401
RayzorIsDull
Registered User
 
RayzorIsDull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 7,206
vCash: 500
Legend I had a longer response to the Rychel stuff but this site ate my post unfortunately.

In regards to contending next year. I am only interested in going for it if they win a bid for a Memorial Cup and that goes without saying. I just get the idea if they try and push a contending year next season they will stink in 2014/2015 with all those 19 year olds gone. If you don''t host the Memorial Cup use those 19 year olds as trade chips to rebuild the team and stock the cupboards. You can still have Maletta, Ho-Sang your compliment of top import picks from the 2013 draft, DeKort in net, Brown, Sanvido on D. I guarantee there would be no harsh feelings between Rychel and fellow GM's if Sieloff, Rychel, Vail, Ebert, Clarke, Marchese were all available. You get your draft pick situation right to get with having 1st rounders in 2014 and 2015 you won't be feeling the pinch as much in 2016. If you try and go for it next year you might be feeling the pinch until 2017.

RayzorIsDull is online now  
Old
11-14-2012, 08:38 PM
  #402
Sec108
Registered User
 
Sec108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: IHate LONDON COUNTRY
Country: Canada
Posts: 751
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
How is it a reach? Without the guys I mentioned, you don't win the titles. You can win a lot with Hall, Nemisz, and Fowler, but take out the supporting cast and you're done. First rounds are great, but they're not the be-all and end-all of a team. Windsor can win without firsts.
Thats the prob. with this yrs team.We just have the supporting cast without the Hall's,Ellis's and Henrique's.

Just because so many players are returning next yr are we going to end up like the others with alot of veteren's not playing to expectations???

If you watch the Spits warmup, its like theyre not a close knit group.Other years guys would kibbitsh with each other but not this years group.

I also think Hunter is getting the Cup in 14" anyway.

Sec108 is offline  
Old
11-14-2012, 10:02 PM
  #403
RayzorIsDull
Registered User
 
RayzorIsDull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 7,206
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec108 View Post
Thats the prob. with this yrs team.We just have the supporting cast without the Hall's,Ellis's and Henrique's.

Just because so many players are returning next yr are we going to end up like the others with alot of veteren's not playing to expectations???

If you watch the Spits warmup, its like theyre not a close knit group.Other years guys would kibbitsh with each other but not this years group.

I also think Hunter is getting the Cup in 14" anyway.
Good post. I will say this as for being close knit winning is the greatest cure all. When they were winning championships they all knew a lot of them would be getting to the next level or playing pro hockey at some level and they could all come together for that goal of winning.

RayzorIsDull is online now  
Old
11-14-2012, 10:12 PM
  #404
hockeylegend11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
Legend I had a longer response to the Rychel stuff but this site ate my post unfortunately.

In regards to contending next year. I am only interested in going for it if they win a bid for a Memorial Cup and that goes without saying. I just get the idea if they try and push a contending year next season they will stink in 2014/2015 with all those 19 year olds gone. If you don''t host the Memorial Cup use those 19 year olds as trade chips to rebuild the team and stock the cupboards. You can still have Maletta, Ho-Sang your compliment of top import picks from the 2013 draft, DeKort in net, Brown, Sanvido on D. I guarantee there would be no harsh feelings between Rychel and fellow GM's if Sieloff, Rychel, Vail, Ebert, Clarke, Marchese were all available. You get your draft pick situation right to get with having 1st rounders in 2014 and 2015 you won't be feeling the pinch as much in 2016. If you try and go for it next year you might be feeling the pinch until 2017.
Rayzor

I get what u are saying my feeling is that Windsor would not be strong in 14/15 if they are awarded the mem cup so i dont alot of difference going for it,as i project little separation between the top 4 or 5 teams
Knowing the OHL Windsor will get screwed again and wont get awarded the hosting gig
The fact Windsor has 1st rd picks in 14 and 15 makes me a have a little more confidence to go for it,getting 1 back from the punishment was huge,if the spits were to sign Schmaltz and Allen sure would give more confidence going beyond 2013/14
I am willing to see how things shake out for the balance of the season before deciding whether I really want to go for it
You make good pts,time will tell

hockeylegend11 is online now  
Old
11-14-2012, 10:16 PM
  #405
hockeylegend11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
Good post. I will say this as for being close knit winning is the greatest cure all. When they were winning championships they all knew a lot of them would be getting to the next level or playing pro hockey at some level and they could all come together for that goal of winning.
Actually I thought this group was closer then the past year or 2 from what i hear,for instance 23 out of 24 players went to movie night recently,that tells me a reasonable closeness

hockeylegend11 is online now  
Old
11-14-2012, 10:41 PM
  #406
hockeyboy4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Windsor,Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 226
vCash: 500
they have a pretty close team, off the ice there together everyday, not just working out, but to hangout and be bestfriends like a team should

hockeyboy4 is offline  
Old
11-14-2012, 10:45 PM
  #407
hockeylegend11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,475
vCash: 500
The Saginaw Spirit come into the WFCU Thurs nite vs the Spits having just passing them in the standings by knocking off Plymouth 8-7 Wed nite in Saginaw
The Spirit have garnered 7 pts out of a possible 8 to lead the Spits by a pt
Spits now sit 8th,while SSM has dropped to 9th
Windsor has 2 games in hand on Sag and 1 game in hand on SSM
Windsor will also play next Fri at home against the same Spirit
Windsor is currently 3-0-0-2 in the last 5 at home
It will interesting to see how Windsor responds after a week of threats of change hanging over their heads
One can hope that Saginaw has used up their goal quotient,having scored 12 goals in their last 2 games

hockeylegend11 is online now  
Old
11-15-2012, 12:01 AM
  #408
RayzorIsDull
Registered User
 
RayzorIsDull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 7,206
vCash: 500
Spits need to get the game tomorrow because Sat/Sun won't be easy. I don't think the Spirit are that good but some of their younger guys have certainly improved eg. Lodge, Moutrey, Kea. It does help having some veterans like Trocheck, Locke and Ross. I do think the Spirit will eventually move a guy like Trocheck and maybe Ross but the longer they keep these guys they will be a threat to Windsor.

RayzorIsDull is online now  
Old
11-15-2012, 07:32 AM
  #409
punch1943
Registered User
 
punch1943's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,370
vCash: 500
Spits vs Saginaw Tonight

Tonight's game will be made more interesting for a couple of reasons.

The GM and Coach called out the team for their poor play in the press, threatened to move out some of the players and then backed off when they discovered that the players they wanted to trade were not valued as highly by other teams as they thought.

How will this affect the team? Probably not a hell of a lot. You can threaten the players and plead with them up to a certain point but after that point you're talking to deaf ears, especially if there is a lack of talent and/or desire. However once you've threatened to move them and don't follow through you, like the little boy who cried wolf once too often, can expect a bite in the ass. In some cases there will be players who would actually love to get a ticket out of town and are disappointed that they are stuck on a team that at this point is circling the drain hole. Their indifferent play will show it.

How will the threats by management and lack of action affect the fans? It will have an effect and tonight's attendance will probably flirt with dropping under 5,000.

As a season ticket holder I'm finding that so far this year the crowd seems to be sitting on their collective hands to a great extent as if they're waiting for something to happen and not urging the team to do better. Of course a goal creates a buzz for a bit, as does Sieloff when he opens the bomb bay doors and belts someone, but all in all, despite the urging of the scoreboard, the crowd is passive.

After playing last night Saginaw should be ripe for the picking but of course this is the OHL and anything can and probably will happen. Lets hope the Spits don't lay an egg in this one because this thing could get very ugly quickly.


Last edited by punch1943: 11-15-2012 at 02:47 PM. Reason: grammar
punch1943 is online now  
Old
11-15-2012, 10:24 AM
  #410
RayzorIsDull
Registered User
 
RayzorIsDull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 7,206
vCash: 500
My guess is announced crowd (tickets sold) will be over 5000. Fans actually in the arena less than 5000.

RayzorIsDull is online now  
Old
11-15-2012, 10:30 AM
  #411
Ottomatic
Registered User
 
Ottomatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,883
vCash: 500
Spits use tickets sold, not gate numbers. If they don't get Mem Cup next year, the season ticket numbers will plummet for next season and going forward.

Ottomatic is offline  
Old
11-15-2012, 10:16 PM
  #412
scokan
Registered User
 
scokan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: southern ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 411
vCash: 500
After being called out by WR in the media this week, they really had a solid team effort tonight, they got off to a little bit of a slow start, luckily Pavs kept them in with some solid saves, once they got their legs under them they started to pour it on. KR with one of his best games, Ebert is really starting to come around in the last 5-6 games or so. They will be in tough this weekend with some roadies, consistency has been a problem this year, they had a great home game, now let’s see how the next few games turn out.
For the first time this year, got to take in a telecast of the game, and I must say I was pretty pleased with the delivery of the game, some knocks may be that its still early and are stil trying to find their groove but thought over the balance of the year they should be just fine (probably wont catch another).
Monday night football runs the segment "where you at?" maybe the tag line can be placed on a few Spitfires players - Johnson............... where you at?

scokan is offline  
Old
11-15-2012, 11:06 PM
  #413
punch1943
Registered User
 
punch1943's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,370
vCash: 500
Spits Come Up Big

Great game to watch if you're a Spit fan. Pavelka played very well in the 1st period as the Spits were badly outplayed and out shot. The lone goal scored against him was on the 3rd shot in a scramble. In the 2nd the Spits came on and outplayed the Spirit the rest of the way.

First look at the Spirit for me this year. They have an impressive PP, work the puck around well.

Granted the Spirit played last night and grew sluggish as the game progressed but the Spitfires deserve full marks for their effort tonight.

The hit by Sieloff late in the second drew another round of big gasps from the crowd.

It was a clean open ice hit that didn't draw a penalty call but did cause a Spirit player to instigate a fight with Sieloff, something that frequently happens after one of his big hits.

Attendance for the game was announced as 5,200 but a number of those were disguised as empty seats.

If we can get a split on the weekend the team may have turned the corner. One can only hope....

punch1943 is online now  
Old
11-15-2012, 11:15 PM
  #414
Spitsfan67*
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Windsor
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,435
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scokan View Post
After being called out by WR in the media this week, they really had a solid team effort tonight, they got off to a little bit of a slow start, luckily Pavs kept them in with some solid saves, once they got their legs under them they started to pour it on. KR with one of his best games, Ebert is really starting to come around in the last 5-6 games or so. They will be in tough this weekend with some roadies, consistency has been a problem this year, they had a great home game, now letís see how the next few games turn out.
For the first time this year, got to take in a telecast of the game, and I must say I was pretty pleased with the delivery of the game, some knocks may be that its still early and are stil trying to find their groove but thought over the balance of the year they should be just fine (probably wont catch another).
Monday night football runs the segment "where you at?" maybe the tag line can be placed on a few Spitfires players - Johnson............... where you at?
I was at the game and the entire time Johnson, Meletta, Bateman, Devlin, M,Clarke were completely invisable, it wasn't a team game at all, tonight are stars played good and when they do we have a good chance for a win...Best game of the season for Kerby, and Vail had one of his best, Ho-Sang played solid and had a pair of nice assist, Sieloff with another bone crushing hit and he drew another instigator as he dident back down from a fight he also added 2 assist, and Pavelka what can you say another great game, he kept us in it in the first as we were out shot 17-10 after the first, then the spits really took over in the second and third leading the shots 30-11 in the last two periods. The players that need to step up still haven't and I really dont expect them to with the spits at least, maybe it's best for both sides to go separate ways and move on, get players in here that are passionate and build some chemistry with the team that's left after trades. Consistence is the BIGGEST issue so far as the spits have only won back-to-back once the entire season, and with Barrie and the Attack up next I don't know if the spits can pull a win out, it has to be stellar goaltending along with a full 60 minutes from the WHOLE team to pull a win out.

Spitsfan67* is offline  
Old
11-15-2012, 11:58 PM
  #415
hockeylegend11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitsfan67 View Post
I was at the game and the entire time Johnson, Meletta, Bateman, Devlin, M,Clarke were completely invisable, it wasn't a team game at all, tonight are stars played good and when they do we have a good chance for a win...Best game of the season for Kerby, and Vail had one of his best, Ho-Sang played solid and had a pair of nice assist, Sieloff with another bone crushing hit and he drew another instigator as he dident back down from a fight he also added 2 assist, and Pavelka what can you say another great game, he kept us in it in the first as we were out shot 17-10 after the first, then the spits really took over in the second and third leading the shots 30-11 in the last two periods. The players that need to step up still haven't and I really dont expect them to with the spits at least, maybe it's best for both sides to go separate ways and move on, get players in here that are passionate and build some chemistry with the team that's left after trades. Consistence is the BIGGEST issue so far as the spits have only won back-to-back once the entire season, and with Barrie and the Attack up next I don't know if the spits can pull a win out, it has to be stellar goaltending along with a full 60 minutes from the WHOLE team to pull a win out.
Agree with everything u say I was at the game too and saw the same thing,poor 1st period saved by Pavelka,the spits far better team the last 2 periods,Rychel had a monster game 5 pts 2g and 3 assists,Vail 2 goals,Seiloff what a beauty 2 assists,1 big hit, a fite and generally being a pain in the posterior drawing the ire of Locke and others,HoSang played well 2 assists,Ebert as well played pretty good notching a goal and an assist
Pavelka has only allowed 7 goals in his 3 starts excluding shootout winner
Spits carry on with their fine play at home,as their record stands at 6-2-0-3 at the friendly confines of the WfCU
In fact since opening nite vs Owen Sd,Spits have only lost once in regulation since then,going 6-1-0-3 in the process
Lets hope they play like they did over the final 2 periods during the next 2 games on the road against 2 of the better teams in the O,in Barrie and Owen Sd

hockeylegend11 is online now  
Old
11-16-2012, 12:11 AM
  #416
hockeylegend11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,475
vCash: 500
Congrats to Josh HoSang for being named to the -17 team which competes at the Xmas break
Little disappointed that Sanvido not named,me thinks politics played a part here,as Desousa who has only played 6 games for Belleville,a 1st rder got selected,of course Barclay Branch of Belleville is on the selection commitee so u can what happened there,Connor Cummins another 1st rder ,
for Sudbury has not looked any better then Sanvido,gets picked,and finally Middleton who has missed the last 12 games due to injury,and has played less then 10 games gets picked too
I guess 2nd rders who play regularly dont get picked ahead of 1st rders who dont play much
Does not seem right to me

hockeylegend11 is online now  
Old
11-16-2012, 12:18 AM
  #417
RayzorIsDull
Registered User
 
RayzorIsDull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 7,206
vCash: 500
I agree with all of these thoughts. Windsor has no excuse not to put together a good performance against Owen Sound. Windsor will be facing Owen Sound playing their 3rd game in 2.5 days. OS will be playing London and Kitchener. We can talk about Windsor playing in Barrie the night before but not many times do you get to face the one of the best teams in the league twice coming off a 3 in 2.5 days.

RayzorIsDull is online now  
Old
11-16-2012, 01:24 AM
  #418
Hawks3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 84
vCash: 500
The boys all played better tonight great game Kirby.
I think I have a remedy for Ho Sang, BB if your reading this I think you should make up a drill for Josh that limits his puck possession to 2 - 5 seconds. Move the puck quickly and he will still get it back as you could tell on I think it was Kirby's 2nd goal. Josh will be a superstar when he learns to play with his teamates.
On his one trip up the ice in the 3rd we had forwards breaking over center and Josh was still in our end, and instead of headmaning the puck he decided to move it up himself, at that point there were 5000+ fans, plus our 4 skaters and Saginaw watching him. Thats when the Spirit slashed his stick and broke it.
This kid is the key you watch his moves and his speed and combine that with someone attentive and alert, give and go passing always looking for an opening. Perfect example on the goal mentioned above.

Puck possession 2 - 5 seconds + give and go passing = WINS

Hawks3 is offline  
Old
11-16-2012, 12:00 PM
  #419
RayzorIsDull
Registered User
 
RayzorIsDull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 7,206
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Congrats to Josh HoSang for being named to the -17 team which competes at the Xmas break
Little disappointed that Sanvido not named,me thinks politics played a part here,as Desousa who has only played 6 games for Belleville,a 1st rder got selected,of course Barclay Branch of Belleville is on the selection commitee so u can what happened there,Connor Cummins another 1st rder ,
for Sudbury has not looked any better then Sanvido,gets picked,and finally Middleton who has missed the last 12 games due to injury,and has played less then 10 games gets picked too
I guess 2nd rders who play regularly dont get picked ahead of 1st rders who dont play much
Does not seem right to me
I missed this post but I guess it cuts both ways. Maybe Sanvido deserves to be on the team but I am sure you could make the case Maletta didn't deserve it last year since he didn't even get his 1st goal until January. Bateman might have deserved it but considering how poor he has played this year I can't even recall how he played last year. DeKort maybe earned it but people could have made the case for Fotinos but nobody was going to take the place of Martin. Maybe it was a bit of a handout to Windsor since they were hosting the tourney.

RayzorIsDull is online now  
Old
11-16-2012, 01:30 PM
  #420
hockeylegend11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,475
vCash: 500
Noticed on twitter that flu is a problem re the Owen Sd,could be a tough 3 in 2.5 days for OS and maybe an easier time for the Spits

hockeylegend11 is online now  
Old
11-16-2012, 09:11 PM
  #421
hockeylegend11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,475
vCash: 500
With the win last nite the Spits are 4-0-0-3 in their last 7 games on home ice
During that stretch the Spits have outscored their opposition excluding shootout goals,29-17
It is the road record that really needs to improve
For the 6 losses on the road they have been outscored 11-32
Hopefully they change their fortunes starting this weekend

hockeylegend11 is online now  
Old
11-16-2012, 11:11 PM
  #422
hockeylegend11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,475
vCash: 500
Some stats to pass along
Kirby Rychel is starting to show,after a slow he does not need Koko for scoring success,as he seems to have found chemistry with HoSang and Marchese,14 goals in 21 games puts him on pace to beat last yrs total of 42, he has 19 pts in his last 13 games including 12 goals,as well he has 7 pts in the last 3 games,including 4 goals,linemate Marchese has 6 pts in his last 3 games played,and the other player on his line Hosang,has 6 pts in his last 6 games played
From the defence Nick Ebert has come alive with his offence as has registered 7 pts in his last 6 games,and 4 pts in his last 3 outings
Ebert has 14 pts in 21 games,is only a minus 2, and appears ready to improve upon his underwhelming season of last
I think improved conditioning,and the motivation of being drafted last in the draft has contributed to what I think is definite progress
Goaltender Jaroslav Pavelka has only allowed 7 goals excluding shootout winner in his last 3 outings,playing outstanding goal
Spits have only allowed 4 even strength goals in the past 3 games,
the spits on the other hand have scored only 3 even strength goals in the same 3 game stretch
However the PP is working,Spits are a whopping 7/22 on the pp for the last 3 games

hockeylegend11 is online now  
Old
11-17-2012, 09:54 PM
  #423
Ottomatic
Registered User
 
Ottomatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,883
vCash: 500
Maletta should be benched. Stupid crosschecking penalty - no discipline.

Ottomatic is offline  
Old
11-17-2012, 10:01 PM
  #424
Spitsfan67*
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Windsor
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,435
vCash: 500
******* PATHETIC, Good 55 minute game tonight guys...and that's what happens with some Braindead penaltys(Meletta, Posa), Brutal turnover( Marchese) and not playing a full 60.

Spitsfan67* is offline  
Old
11-17-2012, 10:11 PM
  #425
hockeylegend11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
Maletta should be benched. Stupid crosschecking penalty - no discipline.
Agreed,bad time to take a penalty gave Colts life
must say bad call on Posa,officials blew that one

hockeylegend11 is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:25 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.