HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Brent Burns to Edmonton

Closed Thread

Old
11-14-2012, 05:45 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

vCash: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangerine View Post
Gagner is a legit player. Teemu and Klefa are probably our two best prospects after Justin Schultz. Musil is probably next after that along with Marincin. Of all our prospects, these are the ones that Oilers fans think will most likely have an impact in the NHL.
Not saying he isn't, but I don't see him as the kind of player SJ would target.

Old
11-14-2012, 05:46 PM
Szechwan
Plug Life.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Gagner is a legit player. Teemu and Klefa are probably our two best prospects after Justin Schultz. Musil is probably next after that along with Marincin. Of all our prospects, these are the ones that Oilers fans think will most likely have an impact in the NHL.
If the Oilers had Burns under contract would you trade him for that? Well Tambo might, but most wouldn't even consider it; classic quantity for quality, it just isn't worth it for SJ.

Old
11-14-2012, 05:47 PM
Gentle Jake Virtanen
canucks? time to go.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
Not saying he isn't, but I don't see him as the kind of player SJ would target.
Unfortunately we're not exactly overflowing with forwards that other teams would want. Apart from Ryan Jones, who has way more value to the Oilers than anyone else, Hemsky, who apperantly has no value to anyone, and Smyth, who probably will not get traded anywhere, there isn't a lot to offer.

Old
11-14-2012, 05:50 PM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Setoguchi is a 2nd line RW with great speed and physical play. He's a 20-goal 50-point player when he's not on the worst scoring team in the league or injured or player with Matt Cullen as his center.

Coyle is not an average prospect. He's a blue-chipper, and he's certainly better than any prospect the Oilers have save Yakupov/Schultz. He's on the same goals per game pace as Eberle in the AHL.

And a 28th overall is still a good pick that has significant value.

There is nothing, and I repeat, nothing outside Hall/RNH that would make me want to move him. Ergo, he won't be traded.

I'll say. I like MPS, but Musil and Lander are not remotely enticing and the Oilers with Burns are not a bottom-10 team.
Musil can be a top 4 D-man, MPS can be a top 6 winger, the first can be a top 15 pick and Lander/Pitlick can play on the 3rd line. Maybe add Hartikainen.

Old
11-14-2012, 05:53 PM
ThatGuy22

Quote:
Charlie Coyle has ten points. We've got Teemu Hartikainen, who is an average prospects who will maybe be a third liner in the NHL, who has 11 points. I can see how you value him highly (Oilers fans pump Teemu's tires whenever possible), but ultimately, both are worth about a low first at best.
Teemu has two years(age) and two full years in the AHL on his side. Coyle is 20, and on his first 14 AHL Games. Slight difference in comparison. If Coyle isn't a top 6 forward for the Wild by the time he is teemu Hartikainen's age I would be shocked or the lockout is still on.

Old
11-14-2012, 05:53 PM
Gentle Jake Virtanen
canucks? time to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4TheCup View Post
Musil can be a top 4 D-man, MPS can be a top 6 winger, the first can be a top 15 pick and Lander/Pitlick can play on the 3rd line. Maybe add Hartikainen.
That's a lot of "can bes". The only one I would argue is close to what you projected is musil, and he's still at least two seasons away after this one. Pitlick and Lander are long term at this point if you ask me.

Old
11-14-2012, 06:07 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

We Wild fans had to put up with crummy Burns proposals for years, it's your turn now SJ.

TheJuxtaposer summed it up very well early; unless a team is coming to the Sharks with something that needs to be given a second thought, there's really no need for San Jose to consider moving Burns at this point. He's too good/rare. He certainly shouldn't be moved for any sort of prospect package at this point in that franchise's window.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
Old
11-14-2012, 06:10 PM
WTFetus

Quote:
It was a great hockey trade for both parties. Sharks needed a young top-pairing defenseman, Minnesota needed young forwards. Setoguchi had some off-ice issues with the Sharks and they had 7 top-6 forwards anyway, so it was a win-win for everyone.
Off topic, but honestly, in hindsight, as much as I love Burns, I probably wouldn't do that trade again. Re-sign Ian White and Wellwood, keep Setoguchi, and trade Heatley for Havlat. I think the Sharks would have done a lot better with that roster than the one they iced.
Then again, Burns probably would have been traded to Detroit which would have sucked.

Old
11-14-2012, 06:15 PM
mytor4*

1 of the 4 is about the only thing that will get the Oilers Burns.Just because the Sharks got a steal in the trade it doesn't mean thet will be giving the Oilers a steal .

Last edited by mytor4*: 11-16-2012 at 04:26 AM.
Old
11-14-2012, 06:19 PM
matt trick

Eberle or Hall would have to come back. I have no problem with Edm turning that down, but that's the only thing of interest.

Old
11-14-2012, 06:19 PM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Never heard Ryan Whitney being referred to being Physical, and isn't Petry a physical PMD.

Old
11-14-2012, 06:28 PM
Tkachuk4MVP
22 Years of Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
Off topic, but honestly, in hindsight, as much as I love Burns, I probably wouldn't do that trade again. Re-sign Ian White and Wellwood, keep Setoguchi, and trade Heatley for Havlat. I think the Sharks would have done a lot better with that roster than the one they iced.
Then again, Burns probably would have been traded to Detroit which would have sucked.

Obviously they would have been better off icing the 2010-2011 team based on the results from the past two seasons, but I disagree about the Burns trade. Trading Heatley for 20 games of Havlat, signing Handzus, and not re-signing Wellwood were the real problems. If none of that had happened and the Sharks had traded for Burns, that would have been the best case scenario.

Old
11-14-2012, 06:42 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Charlie Coyle has ten points. We've got Teemu Hartikainen, who is an average prospects who will maybe be a third liner in the NHL, who has 11 points.
You do not evaluate the talent of a prospect by points.

Old
11-14-2012, 06:43 PM
TheJuxtaposer
Lost a bet

vCash: 567
Quote:
I would bet that Setoguchi would have been traded anyway, just for off-ice issues. I think the real kicker of that off-season was Handzus over Wellwood. It's a whole different team if Wellwood is re-tained. I also have a sneaking suspicion that Pavelski wasn't happy with 3rd line EVTOI.

Old
11-14-2012, 07:11 PM
Oates2Neely

I'd love Burns in Boston. Hamilton?

Salary Cap be darned

Old
11-14-2012, 07:17 PM
WTFetus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkachuk4MVP View Post
Obviously they would have been better off icing the 2010-2011 team based on the results from the past two seasons, but I disagree about the Burns trade. Trading Heatley for 20 games of Havlat, signing Handzus, and not re-signing Wellwood were the real problems. If none of that had happened and the Sharks had traded for Burns, that would have been the best case scenario.
Havlat had a fluke injury. I'd do that trade every day of the week.
Not re-signing Wellwood was the biggest problem, but trading Setoguchi and forcing chemistry between players was also a problem. Setoguchi was the perfect fit beside Thornton and Marleau. Speed for Marleau, right-handed shot for Thornton, a great F1. With Wellwood and Setoguchi, the Sharks had insane depth. With Ian White, a more experienced Braun, and a Demers not held down by Colin White, the Sharks D wouldn't be that bad either.
Setoguchi's off-ice issues might have been a problem, but there's no question that he came up huge in the post-season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oates2Neely View Post
I'd love Burns in Boston. Hamilton?

Salary Cap be darned
Trade Burns for a player who might develop into Burns in the not so near future? No thank you.
Not to mention defensive depth is something the Sharks do not need.

Old
11-14-2012, 07:28 PM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

Quote:
Havlat had a fluke injury. I'd do that trade every day of the week.
Not re-signing Wellwood was the biggest problem, but trading Setoguchi and forcing chemistry between players was also a problem. Setoguchi was the perfect fit beside Thornton and Marleau. Speed for Marleau, right-handed shot for Thornton, a great F1. With Wellwood and Setoguchi, the Sharks had insane depth.
Seto was a great fit with Thornton and Marleau but his off ice issues probably got to the point where it wasn't worth keeping him around. Anyways in response to the OP not a chance unless you completely obliterate what we gave up for him.

Old
11-14-2012, 07:37 PM
DuckEatinShark
GET ALL THE PPs!!!!

Burns will only go to Edmonton if one of the top 4 is coming back. We could use an elite goal-scoring winger to play with Thornton.

However, Burns won't be traded for lesser parts. He and Vlasic, along with Demers, are the core of the defense going forward.

Old
11-14-2012, 08:16 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
That might make sense for Edmonton, but it makes no sense for San Jose.

Old
11-14-2012, 08:27 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
If the Sharks were rebuilding, I would consider making a deal with Edmonton. Seeing as that is not the case, it's a non-starter. The only way Burns gets dealt from the Sharks is if it makes the team better now. The only way that happens is if you offer a slightly poorer man's version of him and add forward depth. That's just simply not going to happen with Edmonton.

Old
11-14-2012, 08:28 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Look at what San Jose gave up to get Burns in the first place.

There's zero chance the Oilers would match an offer like that (or even have the assets to do so if you take out the big 5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
just be patient, oilers, and your D will fix itself. You have to give up the idea that you get to keep your big four offensive guys and still get a top pairing D in a trade. it isn't going to happen.
It's hard to convince Oilers fans that after what Kevin Lowe pulled off bringing Pronger to town.

I agree with you though. It's gonna have to be a UFA because EDM is not trading Eberle Hall RNH or Yakupov. No chance in hell.

Old
11-14-2012, 09:19 PM
Puckgenius*

Resign Whitney, problem solved. I thought he likes playing in EDM?

Old
11-14-2012, 09:46 PM
rgb63

Quote:
Setoguchi has been, for the last three seasons, a 40 point player at best, and only hit north of that once, when he hit 65. Coyle is an average prospect. The first round pick was 28th Overall.
None of this matters.

What matters is the value of each of the pieces at the time of the trade - which was fairly high for each.

Old
11-14-2012, 10:02 PM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckgenius View Post
Resign Whitney, problem solved. I thought he likes playing in EDM?
He does, but the problem is what do you resign him for, and how long. The Oilers of loads of talented D coming up, and do you hold them up for a player who has injury problems and at best might be 75% of what he was in his prime.

Old
11-14-2012, 11:24 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Let me be a little more clear.

Brent Burns is the most untouchable Shark in my books. He's 27, 6'5'', has a wicked wrister, elite skating, strong positional play, and underrated defense. As of the second half of last season, he is our #1 defenseman. He's signed to an awesome contract for 5 more years. He's not going anywhere.

Burns fits in with our core perfectly, plus he's a perfect compliment to 25 y/o Vlasic. Those two are going to be our top pairing for a while.

We traded Setoguchi, Coyle, and a first to get him. Unless you can blow that out of the water, it's not happening.
You forgot to mention that he was also one of the few Sharks to show up for every game of the playoffs last season.

Minnesota was stupid to trade him. They went out and payed Suter a huge amount of money instead of hanging on to Burns. (Maybe they knew Burns wouldn't sign ANY deal to stay, who knows for sure)

Burns is a huge stud on the blueline and the only way he ends up in Edmonton is if the Sharks add and one of the big guns heads back to San Jose.

Closed Thread