HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

I don't think Radulov is that good

Old
11-14-2012, 04:44 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ball-So-Hard-U

vCash: 500
Radulov is a good player. He isn't the demi-god that some on HF make him out to be but hes not a bad player. One thing he does need to do is make a decision and stick with it in regards to the KHL or NHL.

Gene Parmesan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 06:54 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 50
Kovalev 2.0

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 07:17 PM
Machinehead
Richards Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bure View Post
Source? Not everyone prefers the almighty NHL. How dare he choose a league that pays him better , situated in a place where he is a lot more comfortable. If those 2 things make someone have no balls then I'd have none either.

Grow up.
Bottom line is rather than be a good player in the NHL he wants to have it easy and be MVP of a second rate league.

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 08:18 PM
Cotton500

Jeez so many Canadians are experts on a player's attitude when this player has barely played in the NHL since 2008.

Hasn't Radulov led a team to the Gagarin Cup? If so, then why is he seen as a player you don't win with or a player you can't build a team around? 7 pts in 9 NHL playoff games last year is nothing to be ashamed of either, considering he was basically thrown into the fire.

I'm Team Radulov on this one.

Cotton500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 08:38 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
Radulov is a good player. He isn't the demi-god that some on HF make him out to be but hes not a bad player. One thing he does need to do is make a decision and stick with it in regards to the KHL or NHL.
He just signed a 4 year deal in the KHL I believe, which will nearly take him through his prime. I think he's made his decision.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 08:47 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ball-So-Hard-U

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
He just signed a 4 year deal in the KHL I believe, which will nearly take him through his prime. I think he's made his decision.
Well more power to him.

Gene Parmesan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 08:49 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Bottom line is rather than be a good player in the NHL he wants to have it easy and be MVP of a second rate league.
Posts like these just show how little you know about hockey in general. But please, go ahead with the stereotypical close-minded North American approach.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 08:58 PM
Machinehead
Richards Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
Posts like these just show how little you know about hockey in general. But please, go ahead with the stereotypical close-minded North American approach.
The NHL has better players than the KHL. You can keep denying it if you want, but hey you can also deny that the sun's coming up tomorrow if you so please.

Old
11-14-2012, 09:16 PM
RogerRoeper*

Radulov not playing in the NHL is making his legend grow in terms of how good he could have been in the NHL.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 09:28 PM
gretskidoo

Quote:
If I got more money by playing at home, I'd rather do that.

gretskidoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 09:30 PM
Ryker

Quote:
The NHL has better players than the KHL. You can keep denying it if you want, but hey you can also deny that the sun's coming up tomorrow if you so please.
I'm under no illusion KHL is better than NHL, but to call it second rate does show what I mentioned above. The difference between the two leagues isn't nearly as great as you seem to think, but if it is I wonder how it's possible that, say, Kane, who had no trouble scoring last year, is now on a pace Parros was on last year for the Ducks.

Old
11-14-2012, 09:41 PM
Machinehead
Richards Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretskidoo View Post
If I got more money by playing at home, I'd rather do that.
Any player in it for the money would have no place on any team of mine.

Quote:
I'm under no illusion KHL is better than NHL, but to call it second rate does show what I mentioned above. The difference between the two leagues isn't nearly as great as you seem to think, but if it is I wonder how it's possible that, say, Kane, who had no trouble scoring last year, is now on a pace Parros was on last year for the Ducks.
The difference isn't that great, I never said it was. But to me if you have the drive, if you have passion, you wanna play with the very best of the best. The NHL is the very best. Radulov obviously doesn't have that drive if he isn't playing with the best competition.

Old
11-14-2012, 09:54 PM
Ryker

Quote:
The difference isn't that great, I never said it was. But to me if you have the drive, if you have passion, you wanna play with the very best of the best. The NHL is the very best. Radulov obviously doesn't have that drive if he isn't playing with the best competition.
OK, when someone says "second-rate", I interpret it as not only inferior, but also as looking down on that thing which is called "second-rate". And him wanting to play in Russia and not in the NHL doesn't mean he wants to "have it easy". It means he would rather be in Russia than the US or Canada. You probably don't go searching for jobs in Somalia, either, even though exercising your profession, whatever it is, would probably be much more challenging. You can't interpret that as having no passion or drive.

Old
11-14-2012, 09:56 PM
Machinehead
Richards Supporter

Quote:
OK, when someone says "second-rate", I interpret it as not only inferior, but also as looking down on that thing which is called "second-rate". And him wanting to play in Russia and not in the NHL doesn't mean he wants to "have it easy". It means he would rather be in Russia than the US or Canada. You probably don't go searching for jobs in Somalia, either, even though exercising your profession, whatever it is, would probably be much more challenging. You can't interpret that as having no passion or drive.
If the very best people in my profession were almost all in Somalia, I'd be in Somalia.

Old
11-14-2012, 09:58 PM
NotProkofievian

Tu quoque, tu quoque everywhere. Let me ask a question of all the Russians here: do you honestly think Radulov is a good leader, not merely as good/bad as say, Dany Heatley?

NotProkofievian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 10:05 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
I think the problem was, and this is important to consider, is that if you are a guy who plays like Radulov, getting put on the Preds mid-season is about the worst situation you can walk into.

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 10:08 PM
mercy

Quote:
Any player in it for the money would have no place on any team of mine.
You have no control over who gets overpaid to play on NYC teams, though.

mercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 10:53 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Yeah, I mean, all you have to do is compare the U.S. to Somalia in order to see it that way. It should be self-evident that this argument is correct, right?

Old
11-14-2012, 11:14 PM
Ryker

I clearly didn't intend it as an exact analogy, and I don't think his aversion to playing in the US/Canada is as strong as typical western man's aversion to living in Somalia, but if he prefers staying in Russia doesn't make it evident he lacks the drive and that he just wants to have it easy. It just signifies he likes it better in Russia, that's all. It's silly to infer about his motives, when you clearly don't know him. That was my point. Judge him on how you think he plays, not stuff you make up about him.

Old
11-14-2012, 11:20 PM
Top 6 Spaling

He is a legit top line forward. When he was in Nashville (not loaded with skill, I know), but it was obvious he was our most talented forward on the ice, constantly. His skill is not over-rated. As a player? Maybe. I don't think saying he doesn't player defense is fair, because he hits occasionally, but his positioning is poor and his attitude worse.

If some fairy came and gave him a work ethic and a true desire to play in the NHL, I could see him developing into a top 30 forward, maybe even top 20, but I think he is happy and best-suited to be the star of the KHL.

Skill =/= how good a player is

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 11:29 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 1527
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
I don't think he is a top 10 player or anything like that, but I actually do believe he is quite good. He certainly has a knack for accumulating points regardless of the league he is in. The only question lies with his character and willingness to get along with others. He may be done in the NHL, but the guy can certainly play hockey.

"I think part of his game is hes over aggressive at times, which I like. Well tame that. Id rather tame a lion than paint stripes on the kitty cat." - Dean Lombardi discussing Brayden McNabb
Telos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 11:30 PM
MMANumminen

That's the Russian factor.

MMANumminen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 11:40 PM
Mowerman

Bundles of offensive skill, bad skating, defensive liability, bad attitude. Overrated by Russian homers and underrated by North American nationalistic mini Don Cherry's.

Mowerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 11:48 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
I clearly didn't intend it as an exact analogy, and I don't think his aversion to playing in the US/Canada is as strong as typical western man's aversion to living in Somalia, but if he prefers staying in Russia doesn't make it evident he lacks the drive and that he just wants to have it easy. It just signifies he likes it better in Russia, that's all. It's silly to infer about his motives, when you clearly don't know him. That was my point. Judge him on how you think he plays, not stuff you make up about him.
You can't just say that the only reason is because he likes it better in Russia, when the difference in living conditions is probably in favour of Nashville, and the level of hockey in the NHL is much higher. To suggest as much is to suggest that he's an idiot. The analogy only cloaks the true nature of the situation. There are no reasons except hockey related ones to stay in Russia.

Old
11-15-2012, 12:10 AM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
You can't just say that the only reason is because he likes it better in Russia, when the difference in living conditions is probably in favour of Nashville, and the level of hockey in the NHL is much higher.
So you seriously believe everybody who isn't an idiot would rather live in the US than their own home country? Really?! Even by "objective" standards, I don't see a particular reason why someone who clearly enjoys living in the country he was born in would prefer to live in a small town (compared to Moscow) as an immigrant, getting paid multiple times less than what he's currently getting. As an immigrant to Canada myself, I'm clearly biased towards that move overseas, but even with such bias I somehow manage to see other people's viewpoints might differ from mine.

And the level of hockey is not "much higher" in the NHL. It's higher, but I guess you haven't seen a KHL game before if you think the difference is that pronounced.