Old
11-13-2012, 03:17 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by untouchable21 View Post
[/B]

Yeah, if this nonsense of being singled out or "targeted" for physical play continues, it could hamper his development some. He'll have to be less physical and concentrate more on positional play and honing his offensive game. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but you don't want him losing his appetite for destruction either.

With his obvious love of hitting, I wonder at what point he starts to regret not giving some serious consideration to joining the Kitchener Rangers who I believe hold his CHL rights.
I doubt that the NCAA officials will actually target him much differently than a CHL official, TBH. I think sometimes officials make the wrong call, and when it's fast paced and you have something like that, the officials will rather error on making the wrong call than not making a call that should have occured.

Also, NCAA (especially the CCHA) as a whole is not a bad developmental route, especially for defensemen who tend to take longer. There are problems in all type of developmental leagues:
http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/arti...articleid=1133

Old
11-13-2012, 03:46 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
I doubt that the NCAA officials will actually target him much differently than a CHL official, TBH. I think sometimes officials make the wrong call, and when it's fast paced and you have something like that, the officials will rather error on making the wrong call than not making a call that should have occured.

Also, NCAA (especially the CCHA) as a whole is not a bad developmental route, especially for defensemen who tend to take longer. There are problems in all type of developmental leagues:
http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/arti...articleid=1133
I agree with you on the NCAA route. I think the CHL is a great league, but it's not the be all and end all. Some prospects like Trouba, want to experience college and perhaps get a degree while doing that. I don't think it's a bad idea if you want to get your education, since you never know when an injury could derail a career. There's also life after hockey. I think some get too stuck in their idea of Nationalism.

Old
11-13-2012, 03:51 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise View Post
I agree with you on the NCAA route. I think the CHL is a great league, but it's not the be all and end all. Some prospects like Trouba, want to experience college and perhaps get a degree while doing that. I don't think it's a bad idea if you want to get your education, since you never know when an injury could derail a career. There's also life after hockey. I think some get too stuck in their idea of Nationalism.
really good point, i know if i was a junior player (particularly a defensemen/goaly) who didn't look likely to be cracking a roster within 2 years, i' dbe going the NCAA route.

Old
11-14-2012, 01:20 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

So, another topic was brought up on a different thread being Burmistrov vs Scheifele for 3rd C spot... That made me want to compare how they are doing using Gabe's league equivalencies (PS I only looked at even strength points for transfer... not power play, since this has been shown to be more repeatable and more align with transferable skill and ability).

Scheifele:
Team - 1st place in conference, 1st in GF in conference, PP (can't find the stat but last game I heard was running at >30%)
NHL equivalencies given 82gp: 9G, 14A, 23PTS

Burmistrov:
Team - 10th place in conference, 11th in GF in conference, PP 25th in league running at 11.5%
NHL equivalencies given 82gp: 7G, 17A, 24PTS

Note: Gabe's equivalencies do not correct for the higher level of competition at AHL due to lockout

Just for fun, a 3rd party scouting view:
Quote:
Winnipeg Jets Organizational Top 10

Players 22 or under as of 09/15/2012 or still considered a prospect as defined here.

1. Evander Kane, Center
2. Zach Bogosian, Defense
3. Alexander Burmistrov, Center
4. Mark Scheifele, Center
5. Jacob Trouba, Defense
6. Ivan Telegin, Center
7. Paul Postma, Defense
8. Patrice Cormier, Center
9. Carl Klingberg, Right Wing
10. Zach Redmond, Defense

I'm aware that this is a rather boring ranking, in that the three NHLers appear 1-2-3, although between Burmistrov and Scheifele, it was a hard call to make. Kane and Bogosian look to be on the path to be top-tier players for many years. Bogosian may never be an offensive juggernaut but he has high-end defensive upside and can certainly be a good offensive player. I love Burmistrov's puck skills and hockey sense, which is why despite the fact the production hasn't really come, I'm still optimistic about him. He's still pretty young, does fine at even strength, and has the potential to come around in a big way.

Last edited by garret9: 11-14-2012 at 01:43 AM.
Old
11-14-2012, 01:30 AM
Bob E

Quote:
So, another topic was brought up on a different thread being Burmistrov vs Scheifele for 3rd C spot... That made me want to compare how they are doing using Gabe's league equivalencies (PS I only looked at even strength points for transfer... not power play, since this has been shown to be more repeatable and more align with transferable skill and ability).

Scheifele:
Team - 1st place in conference, 1st in GF in conference, PP (can't find the stat but last game I heard was running at >30%)
NHL equivalencies given 82gp: 9G, 14A, 23PTS

Burmistrov:
Team - 10th place in conference, 11th in GF in conference, PP 25th in league running at 11.5%
NHL equivalencies given 82gp: 7G, 17A, 24PTS

Note: Gabe's equivalencies do not correct for the higher level of competition at AHL due to lockout
So, you're saying both are lousy 3rd line centers?

Old
11-14-2012, 01:35 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
So, you're saying both are lousy 3rd line centers?
This is 5v5 points...
So Scheifele isn't bad for a rookie... Ironically that puts him exact same pts 5v5 as Couturier's rookie season
Also, Burmi's number's should be higher due to the higher QoC the AHL is this year. But this would put him exact same pts as last year...

These things aren't 100% accurate of course otherwise I'd start placing bets
But what it is good for is to help us forget the difference between man vs boys QoC and man vs men QoC...

Old
11-14-2012, 02:23 AM
Sweech
COYS!

vCash: 1252
By all accounts it sounds like Scheifele impressed a lot of people after this game. Pundits and other posters here on HF were often singing his praise and many called him the best player in the game. Really great to hear.

Old
11-14-2012, 12:27 PM
truck
HFB Partner

This isn't related to anything, but I found this on YouTube and it makes me laugh.

This is the proper way to pronounce Jacob Trouba. Not really.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vz1DB...eature=related

Old
11-14-2012, 08:17 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

I'm back..
(No one cares!)

NCAA:
No games scheduled.

Arctic Ice Hockey:
Winnipeg Jets NCAA Prospect Tracker: Jacob Trouba brings the pain

CHL:
Brassard and Belleville Bulls host Kosmachuk and Guelph Storm
Lowry and Team WHL host Team Russia for SSS

Guelph Storm 2 - Belleville Bulls 1
Last Update: Final (SO)
Kosmachuk 0-0-0. +0. 2pim
2 - GUE S. Kosmachuk, 15:36 - High Sticking, 2 min (PP)
Brassard 0-0-0, +0, 4pim
2 - BELV A. Brassard, 17:08 - Tripping, 2 min (PP)
3 - BELV A. Brassard, 5:17 - Roughing, 2 min (PP)
Unfortunately, Kosmachuk fails to tie up the game in shutout and they lose

Team WHL 1 - Team Russia 0
Last Update: Final (SO)
Lowry 0-0-0, +0, 0pim

Arctic Ice Hockey:
Winnipeg Jets Prospect Tracker: Mark Scheifele and Scott Kosmachuk lead the pack

AHL:
Next game is on Friday
St. John's IceCaps Coverage

ECHL
Colorado Eagles 3 - Alaska Aces 4
Last Update: Final
Sol 1-0-1, +0, 0pim, 1 SOG
1. COL Sol, (2) (Marto, Ostrow), 12:08

Last edited by garret9: 11-15-2012 at 01:52 AM.
Old
11-14-2012, 08:36 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

vid of Scheif

http://www.subwaysuperseries.ca/vide.../id/1352936037

quite comical haha

Old
11-14-2012, 08:54 PM
Jetsfan204*

Quote:
Lol, great vid, thanks for posting

Old
11-14-2012, 09:15 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Pavlovian Response

vCash: 50
Quote:
Hahaha!

"Yakopov was staring you down eh?"
"Was he?"

"He stole the puck off me at centre ice..."

Scheifele's a character - just such a happy dude.

Old
11-15-2012, 03:59 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
Hahaha!

"Yakopov was staring you down eh?"
"Was he?"

"He stole the puck off me at centre ice..."

Scheifele's a character - just such a happy dude.
I like the...
Scheifele: He Wilso!
Wilson: I saw that.
Scheifele: I got Yakupov right in the toes
Wilson: I got your back

But the Strome talk is good too...
Strome: Yakupov was staring you down eh?
Scheifele: Was he?
Scheifele:... what's up buuuuuhhhd

And sure enough Scheifele spends most of the game shutting down (successfully) Yakupov

Old
11-15-2012, 12:13 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
I like the...
Scheifele: He Wilso!
Wilson: I saw that.
Scheifele: I got Yakupov right in the toes
Wilson: I got your back

But the Strome talk is good too...
Strome: Yakupov was staring you down eh?
Scheifele: Was he?
Scheifele:... what's up buuuuuhhhd

And sure enough Scheifele spends most of the game shutting down (successfully) Yakupov
It's impossible to not love Schief. Kid's a champ.

Old
11-15-2012, 12:23 PM
Rheged
JMFT

Preview for tonight's Michigan vs Notre Dame game here.

The game's being broadcast on CBS Sportsnet so hopefully there will be a stream available somewhere.

Old
11-15-2012, 12:49 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
Preview for tonight's Michigan vs Notre Dame game here.

The game's being broadcast on CBS Sportsnet so hopefully there will be a stream available somewhere.
Jacob Trouba -- Fr., D, Michigan -- The No. 9 overall pick to Winnipeg in the NHL draft has made a statement in his young collegiate career. With crushing hits, including one that landed him a one-game suspension, Trouba is showing he is 18 only in age. He plays a man's game and has made himself a feared player. Trouba is also contributing offensively, averaging a point-per-game with three goals and five assists through his first eight college contests. He plays a style that will jump off your television screen and maybe even bring you out of your seat.

Old
11-15-2012, 01:49 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise View Post
Jacob Trouba -- Fr., D, Michigan -- The No. 9 overall pick to Winnipeg in the NHL draft has made a statement in his young collegiate career. With crushing hits, including one that landed him a one-game suspension, Trouba is showing he is 18 only in age. He plays a man's game and has made himself a feared player. Trouba is also contributing offensively, averaging a point-per-game with three goals and five assists through his first eight college contests. He plays a style that will jump off your television screen and maybe even bring you out of your seat.
*drool*

they sure know how to sell him. If this is the type of player he continues to be (with maybe a litle bit of an increase in hockey IQ) we will have a real treat on our hands....welll .... a treat for us...not so much for the competition.

Old
11-15-2012, 03:30 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
*drool*

they sure know how to sell him. If this is the type of player he continues to be (with maybe a litle bit of an increase in hockey IQ) we will have a real treat on our hands....welll .... a treat for us...not so much for the competition.
The more and more I watch him, the more I realize he's the perfect RD to be behind Bogosian (if he keeps his progression and development at this pace). Meanstreak is nice but I think I like Trouba for reasons in this order:
* strong skater, strong on the puck and solid passing ability - helps him push the play forward and into the OZ
* good positioning, gap control and skating in all 4 directions - excellent DZ coverage and control
* decent IQ and shot - although I'm still skeptical that he'll become an offensive machine in the NHL he should be solid enough option for 2nd PP (which is fine for a team that has Enstrom, Byfuglien, Postma, Clitsome and Bogosian)
* mean, fearful and tough - keeps the opposing team's head up and think twice about going infront of the net

Basically this guy's upside is being a solid #2 skill-wise and he'll most likely be a #3 for most on our depth charts... I love having too much depth

Old
11-15-2012, 03:54 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

Quote:
Thanks for posting this!

Old
11-15-2012, 07:49 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1500
Nice smart little drop pass by Scheifele to set up Barrie's first goal tonight.

Old
11-15-2012, 07:59 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

NCAA:
Trouba, Serville and Michigan Wolverines play Notre Dame
Harstad, Stoykewych and Colorado Tigers play Bemidji State

Michigan Wolverines 1 - Notre Dame 3
Trouba 0-0-0, +0, 0pim, 2 SOG
Serville 0-0-0, +0, 0pim, 1 SOG

Arctic Ice Hockey:
Winnipeg Jets NCAA Prospect Tracker: Jacob Trouba brings the pain

CHL:
Scheifele and Barrie Colts host Sarnia Sting
Lowry and Team WHL host Team Russia for SSS

Barrie Colts 5 - Sarnia Sting 3
Scheifele 0-1-1, +0, 0pim
1. BAR R. O'Connor, (5) (M. Scheifele, S. Beyers), 9:41 (PP)

Team WHL 3 - Team Russia 5
Lowry 1-0-1, -1, 0pim
3. WHL Adam Lowry, (1) (Colin Smith, Ty Rattie), 3:42 (PP)

Arctic Ice Hockey:
Winnipeg Jets Prospect Tracker: Mark Scheifele and Scott Kosmachuk lead the pack

AHL:
Next game is on Friday

Arctic Ice Hockey:
St. John's IceCaps Coverage

ECHL
Next game is on Friday

Last edited by garret9: 11-16-2012 at 09:06 PM.
Old
11-16-2012, 02:38 PM
Clyde Donovan

I caught the last two periods of the Michigan - Notre Dame game yesterday. Trouba was a rock on defense but I can't say the same for the rest Michigan's D. Notre Dame's forwards just looked stronger and were pinning Michigan in their own zone a lot of the game with a really good cycle. Trouba looked like the smartest player on the ice for Michigan, always making the right play. Iwoud say his passing stood out most to me, always tape to tape no matter the distance up the ice. You could see he was trying to get the forwards going with stretch passes but ND was playing great D at their own blueline.

Old
11-16-2012, 03:21 PM
GermanJetsFan
*PEW* *PEW* *PEW*

thanks for sharing this with us Clyde Donovan

'Praises' about Trouba are even better when they are coming from outside of the Jets board

Old
11-16-2012, 06:29 PM
allan5oh
#moneypushups

vCash: 50
John Negrin was sent down to the Kalamazoo Wings by the Chicago Wolves.

Do we retain his NHL rights, or what's the deal? The Negrin - Aliu trade is looking worse every time we hear news of either player.

Old
11-16-2012, 08:35 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde Donovan View Post
I caught the last two periods of the Michigan - Notre Dame game yesterday. Trouba was a rock on defense but I can't say the same for the rest Michigan's D. Notre Dame's forwards just looked stronger and were pinning Michigan in their own zone a lot of the game with a really good cycle. Trouba looked like the smartest player on the ice for Michigan, always making the right play. Iwoud say his passing stood out most to me, always tape to tape no matter the distance up the ice. You could see he was trying to get the forwards going with stretch passes but ND was playing great D at their own blueline.
Thanks for the post. Yeah I think Jets fans are liking him more and more with each passing day. I for one can't wait to start seeing him patrol the Jets blueline. With him and Bogo in the lineup the Jets d will be anything but easy to play against.

Closed Thread