HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

If there is no 2012-2013 season, have we seen the last of Timonen as a Flyer?

Old
11-14-2012, 06:41 PM
MsWoof

vCash: 500
If there is no season does it wipe out the final year of his contract and make him a free agent?

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 06:49 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
If there is no season does it wipe out the final year of his contract and make him a free agent?
Yes, I believe this still counts as a contract year, despite the fact that players aren't getting paid.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 08:29 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
Yes, I believe this still counts as a contract year, despite the fact that players aren't getting paid.
I am 99.9999999% sure it is a lost contract season... So Kimmo would then be a UFA and the Flyers could conceivably not have a chance of having an opportunity to negotiate away from the OpenMarket.

I think the guy here who brought up the HomeTown Discount and Kimmo's making his nut in his humongous contract ($6M x 6, less cash salary from year #6) made a very good point... This will be his family's permanent home IIRC and playing here keeps him closer to the kiddies 24/7 on all but road trips... and how much money in the family can a person figure equals enough security?... If the Cap crunches the Flyers bad, couldn't Kimmo decide to forgo a measly Million or two for his team?

Last edited by Sawdalite: 11-15-2012 at 11:38 AM.
Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 09:22 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
If he wants to play for another year or two, I would pay him in the 4 to 5 range. If he wants more then I would let him walk. Plus we need to see what the cap will be once the dust clears. We will need to sign a bunch of players in a few years and cap space could be a issue. Older players always seem to get screwed in these situations.
That's what I see as his worth, as well. And having said that, I do hope we'll see him in the Flyers uniform again.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 08:00 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
I am 99.9999999% sure it is a lost contract season... So Kimmo would then be a UFA and the Flyers could conceivably not have a chance of having an opportunity to negotiate away from the OpenMarket.

I think the guy here who brought up the HomeTown Discount and Kimmo's making his nut in his humongous contract ($6M x 6, less cash salary from year #6)... This will be his family's permanent home IIRC and playing here keeps him closer to the kiddies 24/7 on all but road trips... and how much money in the family can a person figure equals enough security?... If the Cap crunches the Flyers bad, couldn't Kimmo decide to forgo a measly Million or two for his team?
It will be interesting. What if he wants to go back to Nashville? That was his home for a while, too. Or if he wants to go to a strong contender where he doesn't have to bear such a heavy load? Or, like he said, the longer they're out, the more he might find he doesn't miss it.

From the sounds of the Chris Botta quote, we're 7 days away from having games through mid December wiped out and after that, the decision to kill the season probably will be next. It really sucks if we've seen the last of him.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 09:17 AM
ilovetheflyers8

Thanks Saw Is The Law and Qurpiz.

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 10:49 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

So we're sadly approaching the witching hour.....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 07:45 AM
FresnoFlyer

Hope not, he's one of my favorite players.

FresnoFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 10:31 AM
dats81

I would expect it's Flyers or retirement/back to Finland for Kimmo after this one.
He won't resign for less than 4M though. Quality has its price.

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 11:05 AM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Judging by recent comments about how a condensed season may be worse for his body, there is a twist to the original premise of this thread.

It may be that having a season at this point could cause the end of his career, if you believe the story, instead of it being extended by 2 years (this year if no lockout had happened, and next season).

SeanCWombBroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 01:55 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

I really hope we have a season..want to see Kimo back and healthy!

Quote:
Timonen, who had surgery in May to remove a disc fragment from his lower back, passed on a chance to return to his native Finland to play. He's been a stay-at-home dad and tagged along on road trips to watch his 13-year-old son play on a youth hockey team.

"If there's something good about the lockout, at least I've been able to get healthy and spend time with my family," he said. "It's been great. I've got to be honest, there are a lot of weekends I didn't miss hockey that much. ... I probably saw my son play now more than his whole life. It's been fun."

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...r-just-in-case

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote