HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Off-season Madness the 3rd: Jeffrey Loria taketh and Jeffrey Loria giveth away

Closed Thread

Old
11-14-2012, 09:23 PM
Ohio Jones
Jays Hipster/Elitist

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokil View Post
I'm really not happy with our outfield at the moment. Having 2 holes in CF and LF makes me uneasy. I'm okay with a questionable 1B/2B platoon going on (I'm feeling good about Boni making a name for himself), but not with 4 key positions just up in the air (or filled with questionable players, like Rasmus, who sucks)
First, we don't know that Anthopolous is done yet, the offseason has only just begun, and so far only a couple of players have been signed anywhere in the leagues. Lots, and I mean LOTS of time for more things to happen.

Second, Bonifacio is a capable option in LF, not a question mark. If he's the best we've got come spring, we're still in good shape. No, he's not a power bat, but his speed and ability to get on base makes up for it as long as they have power elsewhere in the lineup. Defensively he's decent in the outfield - certainly good enough to play LF.

And Rasmus in CF is hardly a question mark. He's got great range and athleticism in the field, and while he sometimes takes odd routes to the ball, I feel his judgement is improving. His bat runs very hot/cold, but he's got decent power and he breaks up the righties. Put him in the bottom third of the order and he's just fine.

Old
11-14-2012, 09:26 PM
thatshype

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
To me, it's not the positional player additions that's going to make the most difference it's the starting rotation boost. Reyes/Bonifacio/Buck are definitely going to be an improvement over Mathis/Escobar, but the much more significant boost is going to come in the fact that it will no longer matter what day in the rotation it is, we will still have a legitimate chance to win. Having a very good SP out there every night doesn't GUARANTEE a win, but it gives us a much better shot than last season's lineup.

Old
11-14-2012, 09:26 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
So where is everyone getting this $120 Million figure from? I got the payroll at $102,076,667.00 with Happ, Rasmus and Boneface Arb eligible.
I have no idea. I think someone posted a speculative number and it stuck.

Old
11-14-2012, 09:27 PM
Scion

Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post
So you think we should just let Johnson walk after this season?

If you dont want to resign Johnson why not deal him at the deadline for a package of nice prospects?
Because it negates the point of this trade.... To win now.

Old
11-14-2012, 09:27 PM
HappyGilmourr

To the posters saying we need to add another arm I disagree. We have 4 legitimate number 2's and thats good enough. (This is assuming Romero comes back) J.A Happ is a fine #5. If one of the big 4 go down with a long term injury, thats when you make a trade for a capable starter.

Regarding Left field, I'm not against starting it as is, and going with bonifacio/Davis/Gose. Obviously this isn't ideal but our roster is so stacked I'm not even worried.

If however, AA wants to go after that extra bat, I'd love either Melky Cabrera or Ryan Ludwick. The top of the order is finally set... Getting a Cabrera or Ludwick would enable management to let Lawrie bat 2nd instead of having to rely on him to drive in runs in the 5th spot. Than Bonifacio or Izturis bat 9th, which is like having a second leadoff hitter to get on base for the top of the order. Team is so legit wow.

Reyes
Lawrie
Bautista
Encarnacion
Ludwick/Cabrera
Rasmus
Catcher
DH
Bonifacio

Old
11-14-2012, 09:33 PM
jcollins
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
I'm really not happy with our outfield at the moment. Having 2 holes in CF and LF makes me uneasy. I'm okay with a questionable 1B/2B platoon going on (I'm feeling good about Boni making a name for himself), but not with 4 key positions just up in the air (or filled with questionable players, like Rasmus, who sucks)
I think he'll make a name for himself too, in LF. His IF D is apparently not too good. OF is much better.

Old
11-14-2012, 09:33 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozak View Post
To the posters saying we need to add another arm I disagree. We have 4 legitimate number 2's and thats good enough. (This is assuming Romero comes back) J.A Happ is a fine #5. If one of the big 4 go down with a long term injury, thats when you make a trade for a capable starter.

Regarding Left field, I'm not against starting it as is, and going with bonifacio/Davis/Gose. Obviously this isn't ideal but our roster is so stacked I'm not even worried.

If however, AA wants to go after that extra bat, I'd love either Melky Cabrera or Ryan Ludwick. The top of the order is finally set... Getting a Cabrera or Ludwick would enable management to let Lawrie bat 2nd instead of having to rely on him to drive in runs in the 5th spot. Than Bonifacio or Izturis bat 9th, which is like having a second leadoff hitter to get on base for the top of the order. Team is so legit wow.

Reyes
Lawrie
Bautista
Encarnacion
Ludwick/Cabrera
Rasmus
Catcher
DH
Bonifacio
I'd be all for adding Ludwick but I don't see us adding someone that significant

Old
11-14-2012, 09:34 PM
Brody
Brooklyn ✔

vCash: 24591
Is it true that we've contacted Bobby Cox? I saw the Score tweet it, but has anyone else?

Old
11-14-2012, 09:35 PM
Scion

Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post
Do you think we'll be able to sign a pitcher or Johnsons quality and stuff in free agency?
Your assuming that Johnson will continue to pitch at an elite level, that is far from certain. In fact, the odds are heavily against it.

FWIW, I do like Josh Johnson, just not at the term and dollars that I expect him to command. If AA can sign him to a team friendly deal than that changes the dynamics entirely.

Old
11-14-2012, 09:35 PM
jcollins
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames12 View Post
I just hope that the Jays aren't done it would be a big let down if they don't sign any UFA's after this big trade.
Why? If Rogers has said the 120 million that they're currently at is the cap for them, than we're done. We got our 2 starters as we planned to, upgraded at SS.

I hope by saying that I don't start people up saying Rogers is cheap again.

People are so hung up on signing FAs. Who cares, trade, FA, whatever it takes, you get the players.

Old
11-14-2012, 09:41 PM
oilers4cup
No More Koolade

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody View Post
Is it true that we've contacted Bobby Cox? I saw the Score tweet it, but has anyone else?
Apparently yes I seen it on ESPN & Canoe news ect Don't know if he was contacted before or after the trade

Old
11-14-2012, 09:42 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers4cup View Post
Apparently yes I seen it on ESPN & Canoe news ect Don't know if he was contacted before or after the trade
what i read was that he was contacted before the trade and said no

Old
11-14-2012, 09:44 PM
Eyedea
Breakout Player

vCash: 350
Quote:
He said he wants to remain retired.

edit:

Quote:
"There is not another guy in the world I'd like to work for more than [Blue Jays President and CEO Paul] Beeston. But that is not going to bring me out of retirement. I'm retired and I'm happy here in Atlanta."

Old
11-14-2012, 09:45 PM
jcollins
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
looks like it
and they call him avg defensively

wondering if they might consider izsturis at ss, reyes at 2b
No chance.

Izturis, while I like him a lot at 2B, would be downright bad at SS. And Reyes on the other hand, is quite good.

Old
11-14-2012, 09:48 PM
jcollins
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozak View Post

I agree with EVERYTHING you said here.

The rotation looks great now. Right now we need depth in the minors. And not a Laffey type guy. A young controlable player that can go down and dominate in AAA and be ready to call up to fill in. Like what Alvarez was going to do.

I like Bonifacio in LF too with Davis on the bench. Let Gose force his way up to the bigs. He will.

Old
11-14-2012, 09:49 PM
jcollins
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
what i read was that he was contacted before the trade and said no
I heard the same thing. I wonder if his mind has changed hah.

Old
11-14-2012, 09:49 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Jones View Post
First, we don't know that Anthopolous is done yet, the offseason has only just begun, and so far only a couple of players have been signed anywhere in the leagues. Lots, and I mean LOTS of time for more things to happen.

Second, Bonifacio is a capable option in LF, not a question mark. If he's the best we've got come spring, we're still in good shape. No, he's not a power bat, but his speed and ability to get on base makes up for it as long as they have power elsewhere in the lineup. Defensively he's decent in the outfield - certainly good enough to play LF.

And Rasmus in CF is hardly a question mark. He's got great range and athleticism in the field, and while he sometimes takes odd routes to the ball, I feel his judgement is improving. His bat runs very hot/cold, but he's got decent power and he breaks up the righties. Put him in the bottom third of the order and he's just fine.

I'm fine with Bona taking a regular role with either 2B or LF; I like what he brings to the table on the field and on the base path.

Rasmus, while defensively okay, flat out cannot hit - and having Izturis on 2B full time (?) is practically a lateral move to keeping Kelly Johnson...

so we've got potential bums on first, second, and center. I know that in a perfect world, Rasmus finally 'reaches his potential', Izturis has an up year, and Lind isn't waiver wire fodder anymore....but that's a lot of finger crossing

Old
11-14-2012, 09:50 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

i'm waiting impatiently for AA's next trade LOL

24,000 posts !

Old
11-14-2012, 09:52 PM
trellaine201

"Jeff Mathis has a career .256 OBP in more than1,500 plate appearances and is probably best not discussed any further."

I had to laugh at that comment. I never understood why we re signed him. Im glad to get rid of him and his contract. He was probably a really good guy though.

Old
11-14-2012, 09:54 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

i thought mathis did his job well - for a backup
great D and hit some homers

Old
11-14-2012, 09:55 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
yes it is and he's staying retired

Old
11-14-2012, 09:55 PM
Leo Getz

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatshype View Post
To me, it's not the positional player additions that's going to make the most difference it's the starting rotation boost. Reyes/Bonifacio/Buck are definitely going to be an improvement over Mathis/Escobar, but the much more significant boost is going to come in the fact that it will no longer matter what day in the rotation it is, we will still have a legitimate chance to win. Having a very good SP out there every night doesn't GUARANTEE a win, but it gives us a much better shot than last season's lineup.
I think they are severely underestimating how decimated by injuries last year. *knock on wood* but if we can avoid the injury bug as bad as last year that in itself is huge.

Old
11-14-2012, 09:56 PM
Drmckool
Truculence!

I'm still so happy with this trade. However now that I have a taste for how the Yankees/BoSox used to do business I want more.

Quick AA go out and land Hamilton and Greinke as well, or in the unlikely event one of both of them doesn't want to come to Toronto (perhaps as noted in some sort of list of teams) then at least trade for 1 more pitcher.

Old
11-14-2012, 10:00 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
I'm fine with Bona taking a regular role with either 2B or LF; I like what he brings to the table on the field and on the base path.

Rasmus, while defensively okay, flat out cannot hit - and having Izturis on 2B full time (?) is practically a lateral move to keeping Kelly Johnson...

so we've got potential bums on first, second, and center. I know that in a perfect world, Rasmus finally 'reaches his potential', Izturis has an up year, and Lind isn't waiver wire fodder anymore....but that's a lot of finger crossing
Izturis at 2nd base saved the jays about 3 million at least a year which makes it not at all a lateral move. Rasmus can hit he's just streaky. If he can put it together he could be a very nice talent. It's too early to just write him off. Hopefully, with new management will come a new hitting coach which would also help considerably. Seems like people are just getting greedy. You can't have all stars at every position.

Old
11-14-2012, 10:00 PM
HappyGilmourr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcollins View Post
I agree with EVERYTHING you said here.

The rotation looks great now. Right now we need depth in the minors. And not a Laffey type guy. A young controlable player that can go down and dominate in AAA and be ready to call up to fill in. Like what Alvarez was going to do.

I like Bonifacio in LF too with Davis on the bench. Let Gose force his way up to the bigs. He will.
It's really a shame that Hutchinson and Drabek won't pitch next year

Closed Thread