HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

2012 Subway Series II

Old
11-14-2012, 09:50 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
Rielly is one hell of a dynamic offensive player.
The thing is, he seems to make a lot of high risk plays. I'm not sure how that will carry over into the NHL. That is one of the things I think is an advantage for a player like Murray. He already keeps it simple, and that should transition well in the NHL.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 09:50 PM
Psychoil

vCash: 500
Ok, this is by far the most entertaining game of the series so far in my opinion. Maybe the 1st one against the Q is comparable. WHL playing a great brand of hockey minus the penalties. Yakupov looks pretty good so far...Morgan reilly to me looks awesome. Love that kid, even though i hate the leafs lol. He's gonna be a special special player! Not much from Murray which is good!

what do u guys think or Brousoitt so far? To me he seems a touch shaky

Psychoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 09:52 PM
Vikingstad
**** the King

Saw flashback of the Fedun incident with Rielly going into the boards there.

Russias powerplay has no movement, everyone sort of stands in their positions. Way to easy to block shots that way.

Pulock has a bomb of a shot, reminds me of Subban.

Ewanyk hitting like a truck, Sissons and Lowry forechecking great.

Murray looks very poised, plays like nothing flusters him.

Makarov has been good, very athletic, and willing to play the puck often. More puck playing goalies are good to see.

Vikingstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 09:53 PM
Gutchecktime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
The thing is, he seems to make a lot of high risk plays. I'm not sure how that will carry over into the NHL. That is one of the things I think is an advantage for a player like Murray. He already keeps it simple, and that should transition well in the NHL.
I absolutely get what you're saying but I also think it's worth noting that those high risk plays tend to work out more often than not. Perhaps it's just my personal draft philosophy/preference for prospects, but I prefer a kid who can do that in juniors and has to be reigned in a little, rather than the "safe" option.

Gutchecktime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 09:54 PM
Vikingstad
**** the King

Is Zadorov not playing?

Vikingstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
HockeyGuruPitka

Quote:
The best players in the league play on the edge and that is what separates them from the pack

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Leafs87
Mr. Steal Your Job

Murray really stands out to me by playing so simple and smart

Leafs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 09:55 PM
bruinsfan46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pravi83Oil View Post
Is Zadorov not playing?
CHL Russians only play against the league they play in.

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 09:55 PM
jfb392

Boy, Nichushkin must read these boards.
He finally used his teammates and stopped forcing plays during that first period.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 09:56 PM
CC321

Hard to believe no one drafted Makarov, looks like a very good goalie.

CC321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 09:56 PM
puckfan13

Ewanyk=Legein/Foligno?

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 09:57 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutchecktime View Post
I absolutely get what you're saying but I also think it's worth noting that those high risk plays tend to work out more often than not. Perhaps it's just my personal draft philosophy/preference for prospects, but I prefer a kid who can do that in juniors and has to be reigned in a little, rather than the "safe" option.
Oh, I agree. That kind of dynamic capability says a lot about what kind of capabilities he has. I just meant that it's the type of thing that a player usually has to rein in a bit when he gets into the NHL. He'll find he has to pick his spots more, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him get burned a couple of times by those high risk plays when he does crack the NHL. The talent level is undeniable though, and I don't think it's a question of if he adjusts, but how well he adjusts. He's probably the best pure talent defenseman in the draft.

Old
11-14-2012, 10:00 PM
topchowda

Quote:
The best players in the league play on the edge and that is what separates them from the pack
Not causing an arguement, Rielly is a special player. But in general I agree with that statement. However risky players in CHL get weeded out in larger numbers than safe players. The risk takers that make it are very special and only smaller %'s can translate to the NHL.

A larger # of 'safer' players make the nhl but are not game breakers and 2-3-4 line talent.

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
redbull
Expect more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pravi83Oil View Post
Murray looks very poised, plays like nothing flusters him.
Murray looks like he's above this level. Guy's a flawless player, does everything well.

Quote:
Reilly reminds me of Brian Leetch. I think he'll be a great NHLer, more boom than bust. He won't be able to get away with a lot what makes him spectacular in junior, that's for sure, it remains to be seen how he'll adjust his game. But you don't want a guy like Reilly to play conservative hockey, you want him to be a dynamic player who can create plays and you live with the occasional brain cramps.

Now, someone tell Randy Carlyle.

On Murray, at WORST he'll be a very good, reliable defenseman who will have a long career. I don't see anything outstanding about his game, on how it translates to the NHL anyway. But both these dmen have a long way to go before they approach their peak.

redbull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
I'm not sure I'd agree with you, not when it comes to defensemen. Did Scott Niedermayer play on the edge at his best? Did Lidstrom? I think, in the NHL, simplicity breeds consistency, and it's about being smarter. Not riskier.

Old
11-14-2012, 10:01 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
Ewanyk=Legein/Foligno?
I would drool if he became like Foligno. But he doesnt put up the points to say he ever will be. Good shut down center who hits hard but Foligno a special prospect.

Old
11-14-2012, 10:04 PM
Kamal007
God Level

Shinkaruk = kessel look alike

Kamal007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 10:05 PM
Gutchecktime

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Not causing an arguement, Rielly is a special player. But in general I agree with that statement. However risky players in CHL get weeded out in larger numbers than safe players. The risk takers that make it are very special and only smaller %'s can translate to the NHL.

A larger # of 'safer' players make the nhl but are not game breakers and 2-3-4 line talent.
I think the caveat to this though is that if I'm picking in the Top 5, I'm not all that sure I want my pick to be referred to as "safe". I want a game breaker with my top 5.

Old
11-14-2012, 10:06 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
Reilly reminds me of Brian Leetch. I think he'll be a great NHLer, more boom than bust. He won't be able to get away with a lot what makes him spectacular in junior, that's for sure, it remains to be seen how he'll adjust his game. But you don't want a guy like Reilly to play conservative hockey, you want him to be a dynamic player who can create plays and you live with the occasional brain cramps.

Now, someone tell Randy Carlyle.

On Murray, at WORST he'll be a very good, reliable defenseman who will have a long career. I don't see anything outstanding about his game, on how it translates to the NHL anyway. But both these dmen have a long way to go before they approach their peak.
I'd agree. I think Rielly is someone who needs some slack on his leash. I'm just not sure you want to let him off of it entirely, at least not at first. I think, if Carlyle is smart, he'll let him know when he's being too risky, but he'll give him enough flexibility to play the creative hockey game he needs to play to be at his best.

Old
11-14-2012, 10:06 PM
dubs

Damien Cox fail.

Cutris La la La Lazar.

Get this idiot off TV. His writing pisses me off enough.

dubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 10:09 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutchecktime View Post
I think the caveat to this though is that if I'm picking in the Top 5, I'm not all that sure I want my pick to be referred to as "safe". I want a game breaker with my top 5.
I agree. Its not an absolute thats teams should go for the 'game breaker' over the 'safer' pick. Depends on where teams with their roster needs. Reilly was absolutely the right pick. But generally I go for the riskier/ high ceiling player. CBJ chose right to because they have been burned but those riskier picks. Murray is a steady player and you know what your getting. TML was burned by the "safer" pick (Schenn) on the other hand so Rielly makes sense. Also they have plenty of "safer" d prospects so they could afford to pick the riskier player

Old
11-14-2012, 10:10 PM
Gutchecktime

Quote:
I'm not sure I'd agree with you, not when it comes to defensemen. Did Scott Niedermayer play on the edge at his best? Did Lidstrom? I think, in the NHL, simplicity breeds consistency, and it's about being smarter. Not riskier.
In fairness though, Niedermayer likely didn't get 82 points in 56 games with the Blazers by being a "safe" player when he was in the CHL. When you can get away with it, you do it.

Old
11-14-2012, 10:12 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
I agree. Its not an absolute thats teams should go for the 'game breaker' over the 'safer' pick. Depends on where teams with their roster needs. Reilly was absolutely the right pick. But generally I go for the riskier/ high ceiling player. CBJ chose right to because they have been burned but those riskier picks. Murray is a steady player and you know what your getting. TML was burned by the "safer" pick (Schenn).
And to be fair to Murray, even if he might not end up as a game-breaker, he has the capability to be the backbone of your blue line for a very long time. He could be one of those guys who is just very good at everything, even if he doesn't excel at anything.

Old
11-14-2012, 10:13 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Okay... that wasn't so good from Rielly.

Old
11-14-2012, 10:16 PM
maplehawk
HFB Partner

Dumba's got an interesting way he holds his stick. Keeps his hands real high and close together, almost touching.

maplehawk is offline   Reply With Quote