HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

2012-2013 New Jersey Devils (Team News, Player Discussion Part XX)

Old
11-14-2012, 01:46 PM
Wingman77
Glory Days

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzo5 View Post
I bet you had to dig deep to find that pic. Great fit!

Wingman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 01:50 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Marty to the Blackhawks for Sharp, and Crawford! They'd do it cause they'd get him for almost half price of what they coulda signed him for!

Marty to the Panthers for Versteeg, and Theodore! That way whenever we play the Panthers, Versteeg can score all kinds of goals for us on Marty like he did with the Panthers!

Man I'm glad we can look back, and laugh. I swear if Patty hits UFA this July 1st for anything other than wanting too that's on Lou. Not cause of this ''We need to sign Zajac, and Clarkson'' crap when we could have done it earlier.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 02:01 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volchenkov28 View Post
I want Lou to sign Afinogenov.
Two years ago, I would've been all for it, but now I think that opportunity has passed. I originally wanted us to sign him to play with Kovalchuk...

Zippy316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 02:39 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown56 View Post
Marty joined the twitter universe

@abrodeur30: Give the old man a follow @vezstanley #twitterrookie
Well, that's unexpected. I do like his Twitter handle though, it shows the two pieces of hardware that are most important to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDevil View Post
I just don't get why people get so upset over signing a veteran enforcer to a whopping $750,000 a year contract. He's not hurting the cap, he can step in if somebody gets injured or they need some extra muscle, he seems like he's a good guy in the locker room. What's the big deal?
He might take roster space from a player who is actually useful. That's my main objection to it.

And on nights he plays, even if he isn't an outright liability on the ice (which does happen from time to time), he might still cause his teammates to have to pick up extra burdens because he isn't as capable.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 02:57 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Man I really miss Poni. It sucks we'll never really know if he was not re signed to make an example out of him cause of the TMZ BS, or if he was just a casualty of the Zach Parise sweepstakes. Would have been our only casualty. Perhaps not enough interest like there wasn't to sign Sykora over the Summer? Moose, Bryce, and Marty all fielded offers on July 1st, but wanted to stay enough that they waited for Lou to make his final offer to Parise. I don't fault Poni at all though.

I fear this July 1st. Lou cannot let Patty go to UFA unless he really wants to. I can say I'm confident he wants to stay, but none of this ''Wait behind Clarkie, Trav'' crap like last year.

Old
11-14-2012, 03:03 PM
HeliDevil
Legendary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
He might take roster space from a player who is actually useful. That's my main objection to it.

And on nights he plays, even if he isn't an outright liability on the ice (which does happen from time to time), he might still cause his teammates to have to pick up extra burdens because he isn't as capable.
We had those types of guys on the team last year, and it didn't hurt us badly. While it is frustrating to watch them from time to time, I think those types of players are vital to long-term success. Barch is and upgrade over Janssen in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Man I really miss Poni. It sucks we'll never really know if he was not re signed to make an example out of him cause of the TMZ BS, or if he was just a casualty of the Zach Parise sweepstakes. Would have been our only casualty. Perhaps not enough interest like there wasn't to sign Sykora over the Summer? Moose, Bryce, and Marty all fielded offers on July 1st, but wanted to stay enough that they waited for Lou to make his final offer to Parise. I don't fault Poni at all though.

I fear this July 1st. Lou cannot let Patty go to UFA unless he really wants to. I can say I'm confident he wants to stay, but none of this ''Wait behind Clarkie, Trav'' crap like last year.
I agree with you on Ponikarovsky, I really wanted him back, and I think he was the perfect type of player to fill our depth. But if we do have a season, and as long as were in a position to make the playoffs, I don't doubt that Lou would make a deal for a player of type to bolster our depth at the trade deadline.

HeliDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 03:09 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliDevil View Post
We had those types of guys on the team last year, and it didn't hurt us badly. While it is frustrating to watch them from time to time, I think those types of players are vital to long-term success. Barch is and upgrade over Janssen in my opinion.

I agree with you on Ponikarovsky, I really wanted him back, and I think he was the perfect type of player to fill our depth. But if we do have a season, and as long as were in a position to make the playoffs, I don't doubt that Lou would make a deal for a player of type to bolster our depth at the trade deadline.
I really was happy when I heard we got Poni. When we made other trades like for random rental D men I was more puzzled than anything. Like Klee, Skoula, Havelid.

As far as goons go since we need scoring I think it's better to not play them as much this year. If CBGB can be anywhere near as good as they were last playoffs, even half as good it's an upgrade. The only time our 4th line scored all season was when Josefson was on it. And a 2 on 1 with Bernier, and Carter when Josefson was on that line. The rest were broken line changes.

The goons usually would give up a goal. Eric Boulton, and Janssen were the worst defensive players we've had in years. Maybe ever, only the guys as bad(Foster) had some scoring potential. Even worse than Peters. Whenever one of them was playing something dumb would usually happen. Continuous icings, being on the ice for the first goal against of the game regularly, causing breakaways, and sometimes taking dumb penalties which we saw a few times late in the season with Boulton.

Old
11-14-2012, 04:49 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volchenkov28 View Post
I want Lou to sign Afinogenov.
Well in 3 years when his khl deal is up, he can

Also, max tries, but he's horrid defensively. He could give us 50 points, but he'd have to be on a line with josefson and another defensively sound winger.

Rhodes 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 05:00 PM
Jersey Man
Mad Dog

Gotta a feeling it isn't him but I followed.

Jersey Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 05:01 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Yeah Afinogenov(That name is hard to type correctly) has probably seen the last of his NHL days. He'll probably be what? 35 at least when that deal is up. If he desperately wanted to come back to the NHL after 5 years I'm sure he could find work. But it probably would be on the cheap.

Old
11-14-2012, 05:16 PM
Eggers
:panic:

Send a message via AIM to Eggers
Is his twitter name seriously "vezstanley?" Did his kids come up with that? Because that is BRILLIANT.

Eggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 07:34 PM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Man I really miss Poni. It sucks we'll never really know if he was not re signed to make an example out of him cause of the TMZ BS, or if he was just a casualty of the Zach Parise sweepstakes.
The 2nd one 'cause I recall him giving a deadline for Lou to re-sign him before leaving for greener pastures.....because of the Zach Pari$$$e debacle, he left.

Thanks, Zach. I hope that once Hockey begins again....You get crosschecked through the boards into the crowd.

glenwo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 07:48 PM
Jersey Man
Mad Dog

What did Poni do on TMZ? I know it has something to do after game 6.

Old
11-14-2012, 07:53 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Man View Post
What did Poni do on TMZ? I know it has something to do after game 6.
I think all the Devils players went out to a club the night after game six, but I don't remember Poni doing anything out of the ordinary.

Zippy316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 08:14 PM
hlaverty06

hlaverty06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 08:24 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post
I think all the Devils players went out to a club the night after game six, but I don't remember Poni doing anything out of the ordinary.
Clarkson was was doing more questionable things, but the fact Poni was a UFA, and expendable maybe they made an example out of him. This was actually pointed out as a possibility by someone else, but it made sense that it could have been possible after reading it.

I still have a feeling he was a casualty of the Parise sweepstakes. We did sign Marty, Moose, and Bryce before Parise signed in Minnesota. Though if I had to guess Lou probably gave his final offer in the 1st, or 2nd of July, and Zach said he'd ''Think it over'' and ''Weigh his options'' or something.

Old
11-14-2012, 10:06 PM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

If only the Devils were able to steal one of the first two games......They would've wrapped it up at home and there wouldn't be any TMZ moments in NJ like there would always will be in LA.

glenwo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 10:15 PM
Jersey Man
Mad Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenwo2 View Post
If only the Devils were able to steal one of the first two games......They would've wrapped it up at home and there wouldn't be any TMZ moments in NJ like there would always will be in LA.
Those first 2 games were brutal and depressing. Especially being in attendance at game 2.

Old
11-14-2012, 11:01 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenwo2 View Post
Yup. We got hosed in game 6 no doubt, but that's no excuse because we really needed to win one of the first two games in OT at home to have any chance of surviving the series. In game 1 Clarkson missing multiple wide open nets, Fayne missing the wide open net. Kovy hitting the crossbar with 18 seconds left in the 3rd period of the tied game in game 2. Aside from game 3, and game 6 it could have really gone our way if we won one of the first two.

Our luck in those those situations did not work out. I guess you could say we shouldn't have won game 4, and 5 other than scoring 2 goals. Those games were all Marty.

Old
11-14-2012, 11:02 PM
apice3*

Stanley Cup Games 1-5, total regulation goals:

Kings - 8
Devils - 7

That's what infuriates me when everyone talks about how we got dominated by the Kings. We really didn't. We had two games for the taking and didn't take them. Game 3 we got sauced and then 4 and 5 the puck bounced our way. Devils score one OT goal in either game 1 or 2 and the series goes back to NJ for game 7.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 11:08 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Stanley Cup Games 1-5, total regulation goals:

Kings - 8
Devils - 7

That's what infuriates me when everyone talks about how we got dominated by the Kings. We really didn't. We had two games for the taking and didn't take them. Game 3 we got sauced and then 4 and 5 the puck bounced our way. Devils score one OT goal in either game 1 or 2 and the series goes back to NJ for game 7.
That's pretty much it. One dude on the main board I remember was talking a bunch of **** about how we should have been swept, because the Elias goal in game 4 shouldn't have counted cause he made contact with Quick. Well he didn't bother saying that the refs gave that one back immediately by giving Clarkson that phantom boarding penalty which resulted in a PP goal for the Kings.

Also someone talking about how the Kings should have tied in game 5 cause of a post hit. Talk about post hits the most significant post hit of that series was when Kovy hit it with 18 seconds left in the 3rd period of game 2 in a tie game. Don't even tell me about post hits. That was the most game changing one in the series.

Old
11-14-2012, 11:19 PM
apice3*

And let's not forget Gionta getting a face full of boards about 10 seconds before the major on Bernier. Any Kings fan bringing up the officiating can eat a dick. They were pretty good all series but I can't get over that 15 second sequence.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 11:23 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
And let's not forget Gionta getting a face full of boards about 10 seconds before the major on Bernier. Any Kings fan bringing up the officiating can eat a dick. They were pretty good all series but I can't get over that 15 second sequence.
That too. That was mostly the same crew though that gave Clarkson the boarding penalty in game 4. The phantom boarding penalty that is. I warned on the morning of that game that I was not feeling good about that crew calling the game too.

Old
11-15-2012, 07:04 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
I've also been amused by people who say our defence was dominated by their forwards forechecking. That's nonsense, the reason we lost was because the Kings' defence was so good on the breakout and we couldn't set up our own forecheck offence.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 07:58 AM
CerebralGenesis

I dunno bout scores but we looked like ass games 1-3. Still, if parise doesn't punch that puck in, Zajac gets to it probably.... o well

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote