HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs Morgan Rielly discussion.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-14-2012, 09:58 PM
  #726
p.l.f.
mvp
 
p.l.f.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Posts: 34,946
vCash: 500
is it ok to go with 3 offensive Ds ?

gardiner phaneuf
reilly

who takes care off the kitchen ?

p.l.f. is offline  
Old
11-14-2012, 09:58 PM
  #727
showtime8
Registered User
 
showtime8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,462
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneBone03 View Post
I noticed that Rielly didn't get a lot of icetime in the first half of the first, and the Dub had Murray and Pulock on the first PP unit. After the 10 minute mark it seemed Rielly was out there every other shift and on the #1 PP unit with Pulock. He's legitimately SO good.
Because of the early penalties that the dub took.

showtime8 is offline  
Old
11-14-2012, 10:00 PM
  #728
hockeygeek
Rejisturd User
 
hockeygeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
His defensive play is more than fine....watch him more and you will see!
He needs to play the body. The Russians are outnumbering his side in the d-zone prolly because they don't like to get hit

hockeygeek is offline  
Old
11-14-2012, 10:01 PM
  #729
Kulemon
Registered User
 
Kulemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,420
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
is it ok to go with 3 offensive Ds ?

gardiner phaneuf
reilly

who takes care off the kitchen ?
Phaneuf is very capable defensively.

Kulemon is offline  
Old
11-14-2012, 10:02 PM
  #730
Rare Jewel
Patience
 
Rare Jewel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Leaf Land
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,685
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
is it ok to go with 3 offensive Ds ?

gardiner phaneuf
reilly

who takes care off the kitchen ?
Granberg could be a good candidate to pair up with either Rielly or Gardiner in the coming years. He's the most NHL ready D prospect we have after Rielly so I could see that, He's also right handed which is nice.

Rare Jewel is offline  
Old
11-14-2012, 10:03 PM
  #731
G51 K81*
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
is it ok to go with 3 offensive Ds ?

gardiner phaneuf
reilly

who takes care off the kitchen ?
Yeah, we need more stay at home guys... like Komi... or Luke Schenn... oh wait, they're terrible defensively.

G51 K81* is offline  
Old
11-14-2012, 10:03 PM
  #732
p.l.f.
mvp
 
p.l.f.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Posts: 34,946
vCash: 500
yeah we'll need a big stay at home shot blocker type to go with those 3

komi schenn dont cut les moutard

p.l.f. is offline  
Old
11-14-2012, 10:05 PM
  #733
diceman934
Registered User
 
diceman934's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NHL player factory
Posts: 6,138
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeygeek View Post
He needs to play the body. The Russians are outnumbering his side in the d-zone prolly because they don't like to get hit
Wow.....maybe you should watch the game and see the position of his D part to understand what is happening. He is very good at taking away time and space.

I stand by my comments about his defensive play....I likely watched him play more then any other person on this board....and speak from watching him play a lot.

diceman934 is offline  
Old
11-14-2012, 10:05 PM
  #734
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,972
vCash: 140
People forget Gunnar so easily. He is more than just average in terms of defensive game.

Penalty Kill Icing* is offline  
Old
11-14-2012, 10:08 PM
  #735
hockeygeek
Rejisturd User
 
hockeygeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
Wow.....maybe you should watch the game and see the position of his D part to understand what is happening. He is very good at taking away time and space.

I stand by my comments about his defensive play....I likely watched him play more then any other person on this board....and speak from watching him play a lot.
I guess we strongly disagree on what Rielly's strengths and weaknesses are

hockeygeek is offline  
Old
11-14-2012, 10:09 PM
  #736
Pi
Registered User
 
Pi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,945
vCash: 100
Yep. Gunnar played great D in his zone last season. He's always had the potential but his consistency wasn't good.

Gunnar is not leaving TO any time soon IMO. He's a bit valuable to just trade for picks/3rd liners etc...Franson would be the guy leaving, if any of them have to.

As far as Dion Phaneuf goes...he isn't GREAT defensively like Chara, Weber, Suter etc but he's good. He shut down the likes of Malkin, Stamkos and Tavares last season when they played against TO.

Pi is offline  
Old
11-14-2012, 10:09 PM
  #737
hostilebynature
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 16
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
I see what you did there.
not bad for my second post.

hostilebynature is offline  
Old
11-14-2012, 10:12 PM
  #738
G51 K81*
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,556
vCash: 500
I feel like on this board, if you are a good offensive defenseman, you are automatically labelled bad defensively. Don't even understand how people call Gardiner bad defensively. He was much better defensively than a lot of our so called "stay at home D-men" last year.

G51 K81* is offline  
Old
11-14-2012, 10:16 PM
  #739
charliolemieux
rsTmf
 
charliolemieux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
When Burke stated that he believes he got the best player in the draft .....does anyone still believe he was just blowing hot air as usual?

I stated long before the draft that he was at worse the 2nd best player....the best D man is a given.
Did you just compliment BUrke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneBone03 View Post
I noticed that Rielly didn't get a lot of icetime in the first half of the first, and the Dub had Murray and Pulock on the first PP unit. After the 10 minute mark it seemed Rielly was out there every other shift and on the #1 PP unit with Pulock. He's legitimately SO good.
Noticed the same thing.

Didn't know what number he was in hte first 10min, then it seemed like he was always on the ice after that.
very noticable

charliolemieux is offline  
Old
11-14-2012, 10:19 PM
  #740
hockeygeek
Rejisturd User
 
hockeygeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,343
vCash: 500
Rielly is the most impressive player in this game with the puck. Just so dynamic

hockeygeek is offline  
Old
11-14-2012, 10:19 PM
  #741
diceman934
Registered User
 
diceman934's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NHL player factory
Posts: 6,138
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by G51 K81 View Post
I feel like on this board, if you are a good offensive defenseman, you are automatically labelled bad defensively. Don't even understand how people call Gardiner bad defensively. He was much better defensively than a lot of our so called "stay at home D-men" last year.

I agree......

Look at Murray play tonight and any time you can and you will see people believe that he is the most ready NHL d man......he is a good player but quick decisions is not his strength. Safe decisions which are easy to read is....as a result lots of give away.

Watch Morgan how many times does he not hit tape with his passes....

diceman934 is offline  
Old
11-14-2012, 10:19 PM
  #742
Kulemon
Registered User
 
Kulemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,420
vCash: 500
He's just like Gardiner in that you can sit there and watch him skate all day. He's just a treat to watch.

Kulemon is offline  
Old
11-14-2012, 10:21 PM
  #743
diceman934
Registered User
 
diceman934's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NHL player factory
Posts: 6,138
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
Did you just compliment BUrke?



Noticed the same thing.

Didn't know what number he was in hte first 10min, then it seemed like he was always on the ice after that.
very noticable

Yes I did compliment Burke......great draft pick....best we have made since...It has been a long time since we drafted Clark. Different type of players....but an impact player.

diceman934 is offline  
Old
11-14-2012, 10:21 PM
  #744
zeke
#TeamReimer
 
zeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 28,022
vCash: 500
he's awesome

zeke is online now  
Old
11-14-2012, 10:21 PM
  #745
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,972
vCash: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
He's just like Gardiner in that you can sit there and watch him skate all day. He's just a treat to watch.
Maybe it just me, but they look a bit similar as well.

Penalty Kill Icing* is offline  
Old
11-14-2012, 10:22 PM
  #746
zeke
#TeamReimer
 
zeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 28,022
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
I agree......

Look at Murray play tonight and any time you can and you will see people believe that he is the most ready NHL d man......he is a good player but quick decisions is not his strength. Safe decisions which are easy to read is....as a result lots of give away.

Watch Morgan how many times does he not hit tape with his passes....
Murray has given the puck away pretty much every time he's had the puck.

Twice with very lazy/slow clearout attempts in his own zone.

zeke is online now  
Old
11-14-2012, 10:23 PM
  #747
7even
Moderator
Deus Ex Machina
 
7even's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Georgia
Country: United States
Posts: 7,969
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by G51 K81 View Post
I feel like on this board, if you are a good offensive defenseman, you are automatically labelled bad defensively. Don't even understand how people call Gardiner bad defensively. He was much better defensively than a lot of our so called "stay at home D-men" last year.
No he wasn't. I'm Gardiner's biggest fan and he was pretty awful in his own zone despite pillow-soft minutes and opposition.

7even is offline  
Old
11-14-2012, 10:24 PM
  #748
zeke
#TeamReimer
 
zeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 28,022
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by G51 K81 View Post
I feel like on this board, if you are a good offensive defenseman, you are automatically labelled bad defensively. Don't even understand how people call Gardiner bad defensively. He was much better defensively than a lot of our so called "stay at home D-men" last year.
most posters here think the only way you can be good defensively is if you're big and can hit, like super slow defensive liabilities Schenn and Komisarek.

zeke is online now  
Old
11-14-2012, 10:24 PM
  #749
Man Bear Pig
Registered User
 
Man Bear Pig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 8,929
vCash: 500
Looks like Gardiner on steroids.

Man Bear Pig is offline  
Old
11-14-2012, 10:27 PM
  #750
G51 K81*
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
No he wasn't. I'm Gardiner's biggest fan and he was pretty awful in his own zone despite pillow-soft minutes and opposition.
This is you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
most posters here think the only way you can be good defensively is if you're big and can hit, like super slow defensive liabilities Schenn and Komisarek.

G51 K81* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:49 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.