HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Waning fan passion - a growing concern

Old
11-14-2012, 11:29 PM
scelaton

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
Yeah, there's simply no way I'm watching NHL hockey at least in the first year after this lockout. I guess you can argue that I'll come back around eventually, but I don't know.

For me, it's this: I hate these players. I can't root for them. They're making far more than the market indicates they should, they're crying about it, they don't understand math, they pose for the media every ten seconds, they make so much money it's almost unconscionable while our country spins deeper and deeper into inequality, they've never worked a real job a day in their lives, got made for life at age 18, don't have the mental attention or focus to understand the actual negotiations going on and yet still want to sit there misinformedly preaching to us about it. They're shallow, stupid, petulant and antagonistic. They're not even fighting for the best deal anymore, everybody knows that deal came and went on November 2, they're fighting for some vague imagined honor thing as though anything about this fight was honorable. They're still fighting because $500M means so little to them that it's more worth it to win the pissing match. I hate them and I have no interest in watching a single one of their whiny ***** skate around while the dumb masses shower them with more money than any of the rest of us would see in a thousand lifetimes. It makes me sick. I have no interest in their ********.
LOL, just so long as you don't take it personally!
I'll bet you're just pissed because, like me, you thought this would be over a long time ago and you're wrong.
As the recipient of a brand new franchise in Winnipeg, it's not about these players or this year for me. They want to sit out, fine with me, so long as the league emerges strong and my team is playing on an even ice surface.
Where I went wrong was in predicting that rationality or greed or any of the motivations that make normal human beings make the right economic decisions would prevail. They haven't, which by itself proves the point that the players make way too much money. It just doesn't matter to them any more, so they make crazy choices and make the rest of us prognosticators look bad. Crosby and his ilk are the worst of the bunch. I actually do not hate them, but they are so out of touch with reality, so convinced of their role as leaders and winners in this game, so under the spell of Fehr and so oblivious to the wise counsel of older, former players who've been through this, that they can't see what they are throwing away.
It's not money I'm referring to, it's that magical, physical gift that is slipping away by the day and will never come back. Some, maybe most of 'em won't miss the money, but, man will they miss the talent when it melts away.

scelaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 11:37 PM
Zih
Dater's Gonna Hate

vCash: 50
My passion isn't waning, it's turning negative. The more I think about these millionaires and billionaires throwing a fit over a small portion of their income, it makes me wish that the NHL suffers a massive collapse in revenue whenever games start back up. Let's see how willing they are to lose another season after they lose 40% of their revenue. Can't tell you how awesome it'd be if every season opener was at least half empty.

Zih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 12:16 AM
Tyrolean

Quote:
Originally Posted by scelaton View Post
LOL, just so long as you don't take it personally!
I'll bet you're just pissed because, like me, you thought this would be over a long time ago and you're wrong.
As the recipient of a brand new franchise in Winnipeg, it's not about these players or this year for me. They want to sit out, fine with me, so long as the league emerges strong and my team is playing on an even ice surface.
Where I went wrong was in predicting that rationality or greed or any of the motivations that make normal human beings make the right economic decisions would prevail. They haven't, which by itself proves the point that the players make way too much money. It just doesn't matter to them any more, so they make crazy choices and make the rest of us prognosticators look bad. Crosby and his ilk are the worst of the bunch. I actually do not hate them, but they are so out of touch with reality, so convinced of their role as leaders and winners in this game, so under the spell of Fehr and so oblivious to the wise counsel of older, former players who've been through this, that they can't see what they are throwing away.
It's not money I'm referring to, it's that magical, physical gift that is slipping away by the day and will never come back. Some, maybe most of 'em won't miss the money, but, man will they miss the talent when it melts away.
There is an alternative and though the money may not be the same, it will be decent for the star players.

The KHL is more than wiling to take our very best players if there is no NHL.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 12:18 AM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

I'll come back because I know the only reason this lockout has lasted this long is the PA.

The League has made every effort I expect from them to get the talks going and the PA has responded with nothing but hot air. I can't fault the owners for not making progress fast enough since the PA is doing everything it can to inflict the maximum amount of pain on the owners to get the most out of them. The goals are understandable (even commendable to a certain extent) but the means the PA has chosen has made it rather simple: the lockout is entirely on the PA's shoulders and I have no qualms with the owners having to resort to hardball because the PA has, once again, decided to make things harder for everyone involved.

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 12:25 AM
Mrpuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zih View Post
My passion isn't waning, it's turning negative. The more I think about these millionaires and billionaires throwing a fit over a small portion of their income, it makes me wish that the NHL suffers a massive collapse in revenue whenever games start back up. Let's see how willing they are to lose another season after they lose 40% of their revenue. Can't tell you how awesome it'd be if every season opener was at least half empty.
Totally agree. I may still watch my team on TV. But this lockout coupled with this economy means I won't be spending my money to go to the 10-12 games at the Garden I used to every season.
This may have been ok in the 90's, but people are watching their dollars much more closely these days. A major collapse, and the NHL folding in 4 cities would not bother me a bit. If anything maybe the talent pool would not be as diluted.

Mrpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 01:00 AM
Mant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post
There is an alternative and though the money may not be the same, it will be decent for the star players.

The KHL is more than wiling to take our very best players if there is no NHL.
The KHL can have them, and hasta la riddance to the buttholes.

Mant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 01:41 AM
hockeyfan2k11

You'll be back. You'll all be back. The league and PA know this.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 01:48 AM
Crows*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Most hardcore fans will be back yes.. The leagues problem is they will lose huge amounts of casual fans. People that were just getting in to hockey.

Florida, Columbus... Places like that will be hit hard.

There is no Crosby draft this time around.

Crows* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 03:24 AM
Tyrolean

I'd give it one more week and hope the season is cancelled if the lockout is not resolved. Out of sight out of mind.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 04:35 AM
Blue And Orange
#KevinLoweMustGo

Quote:
Nope. I'm done if the season is cancelled. The NFL has won me over, besides my seahawks are killin it this year.

Blue And Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 05:05 AM
BDEuph
Hotty Toddy

I am a 5yr season ticket holder for the Blues and usually spend 2200-2500 per year on those tickets. I have not requested any refund for this season as of yet because I believe cooler heads will prevail in the long run and their arrogance will subside. That being said, if the entire season is lost I will invoke the nuclear option and request my refund and ask them to remove me from any contact list or marketing list because I will no longer want anything to do with an organization who treats its fans like they have or will. I enjoy hockey, I enjoy going to games...its my salvation, my escape from everyday life. If they treat us fans like this, they can say good by to my money and my affection.

BDEuph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 05:11 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Canada sure. But even there I think you're going to see merchandising take a dip.

USA? There are going to be problems.

The Knicks are actually looking decent this year in New York.

In the mid-west ... good luck NHL.

In the Southern states ... you're screwed guys.

Philly, Pittsburgh will bounce back, but will probably lose some casual fans they've picked up the last couple of years.

Minnesota and Buffalo will be fine, but they're practically like Canadian cities, lol.

L.A. ... won the Cup. Great. But now all the attention is back on the Lakers. And even the Clippers. A lot of that momentum and goodwill from the Cup is now like milk left out on the counter overnight. It's probably gone a bit sour.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 08:14 AM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:
and I'm logging out of HF and going back over to bigsoccer. They are talking about a sport that is currently being played.

Cory Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 08:42 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

[QUOTE=Soundwave;55780993]
Philly, Pittsburgh will bounce back, but will probably lose some casual fans they've picked up the last couple of years.
QUOTE]

The flyers don't have casual fans, they are all rabid fanatics.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 09:38 AM
atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan The Parade View Post

Building a market requires a winning team at some point. I can not think of a sports market that can not attribute at least part of its success to winning.
Chicago Cubs

atomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 09:40 AM
atomic

[QUOTE=Spongolium;55781919]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
QUOTE]

The flyers don't have casual fans, they are all rabid fanatics.
Actually I went to a Flyers game a few years back and the arena was half empty and the crowd wasnt even as loud as an AHL game. I did get an ugly orange hat which I used as a rag to clean up oil in my garage.

Old
11-15-2012, 09:44 AM
atomic

I am going to spend my hockey money on Orioles season tickets. Capitals tickets are too expensive as it is and the game has gotten really boring the last two years anyway. I am not even upset about the lock-out. I don't even care if they come back at this point. It is not like whatever the settlement that the price of tickets will go down. Or that they will stop playing the trap in the NHL.

We need a new winter sport in the US that doesn't cancel their seasons all the time and cares about the entertainment value of their product.

Old
11-15-2012, 10:35 AM
cbcwpg

Not scientific, but a radio station here in Winnipeg did an informal survey as to:

a- Do you miss the NHL?

or

b- Do you care at all?

11% said they miss the NHL.
89% said they don't care. They will support the team when they are back playing, but for now the NHL is out of their lives. Don't care.

Apathy is growing.

cbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 10:45 AM
jigglysquishy

Fans leaving is a very real thing. After the last lockout I didn't watch a single hockey game until the 2009-10 playoffs. I was angry at the league and completely apathetic towards hockey.

jigglysquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 10:51 AM
Pilky01
@JamesD_TO

The NHL is doing so much more damage than they realize.

Pilky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 10:59 AM
CBJ103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows View Post
Most hardcore fans will be back yes.. The leagues problem is they will lose huge amounts of casual fans. People that were just getting in to hockey.

Florida, Columbus... Places like that will be hit hard.

There is no Crosby draft this time around.
In Columbus the hardcore fans will return immediately. The casual fans will return when (if ever) the CBJ demonstrate for 6 weeks to 2 months that they can be competitive/have some reasonable hope of making the playoffs. That is the nature/definition of casual fans. Losing a season to a lockout will have little effect on this. I suspect that it is the same with several other U.S. teams.

CBJ103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 11:10 AM
CantHaveTkachev
not allowed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilky01 View Post
and the PA is losing 100% of their money for their "cause"...plus its looking worse and worse for them every time they reject a proposal or flat-out refuse to negotiate off the NHL's proposal...time for the PA to cut their losses and accept a deal

the worst part is, revenue may never reach the same heights as before because of this lock-out, especially in already failing markets

CantHaveTkachev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 11:12 AM
KingsFan7824

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
Not scientific, but a radio station here in Winnipeg did an informal survey as to:

a- Do you miss the NHL?

or

b- Do you care at all?

11% said they miss the NHL.
89% said they don't care. They will support the team when they are back playing, but for now the NHL is out of their lives. Don't care.

Apathy is growing.
What we as fans do is cheer for strangers and get emotional about a corporate logo.

I know I'll be back the moment they figure the CBA out. However, until they do, there are many other things to spend time doing. If these two sides are fighting about more than just money, which seems to be the case, then there isn't a thing that fans can do to speed up the process.

Other than talking about the process amongst ourselves if we have an interest in it, we probably should be apathetic to the whole thing. Nobody here will be seeing a nickel of the money each side is fighting over, so...

KingsFan7824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 12:28 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Not me. I'm not spending a dime on the NHL the first year back. I probably attend about 10 Hawks games a year, and get the Center Ice package. I'll watch games on TV that I don't have to pay extra for (local games, NHLN, NBC, etc), but I'm not giving the NHL any money directly.

And I'm a die-hard fan for 20+ years. I just feel like this is the only way to voice my displeasure. And it's going to hurt me to do it - but I feel like I owe it to myself to show these SOB's that they can't piss in my face and call it lemonade.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 01:30 PM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilky01 View Post
The NHLPA is doing so much more damage than they realize.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote