HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The New OT Thread: Spring Training is Here!

Closed Thread

Old
11-14-2012, 06:54 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Anyone else lose their power?

Old
11-14-2012, 08:55 PM
SDig14

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Oh okay likely the best option. Either way I was pointing out that they have a plethora of tweeners who can fight for that spot.
And Hutch is the on the D/L all of next year Him and Drabek are going to be eating spits for a while.

I think Hutch would have been the #5 had he not gotten hurt though.

I think Happ will be more than adequate though, but I could see them adding one more arm if Carlos V wants too much money.

Old
11-14-2012, 10:58 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/healt...996/story.html

I hope this case gets thrown out fast. We don't need an american prescedent set up here in Canada. IMO if you want to drink a hot beverage on a ****** tight spaced area known as an air canada jet then you assume the risks of doing so.
Or alternately Air Canada shouldn't be walking up and down plane aisles with scalding hot water which could land on anybody with enough unexpected turbulence. You don't have to order the tea, hot water could conceiveably end up on the next passenger if theres improper service as seems to be the case here from description.

The hot water is supposed to be poured and sealed away from the passengers in the small galley area. Its also not supposed to be so hot that it produces scalding burns. If the burns are substantiated, and they have caused the suffering indicated, then the lawsuit may be successful and perhaps should. Remember as well that the Mcdonalds lawsuit was due to the scalding hot temperature of the water which was deemed to be unsafe, and unreasonably hot. Certainly hotter than need be. Tea for instance should not be steeped in boiling water anyway.

I'll note one last part by chronicallly putting more and more seats on planes and reducing the spacing between seats and the mechanism of injury sighted hear. (the passenger in front backing her seat effecting her tray. Is a direct result of airline change in seating space which may actually render such food and drink service unsafe.

Its not the passengers job to recognize the safety concerns and ensure her own safety in this instance. its up to the airline that served her scalding hot water in an uncontrolled environment.

If a drunk waitress in a restaurant stumbled, and scalding hot water landed on a customer would there be any questioning who is at fault?

Old
11-14-2012, 11:05 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
I thought the best part was that she couldn't carry on being a massage therapist due to burning herself so badly. Airlines give such tiny proportions that her claim is so laughable.
One of my best friends growing up had a small pot of boiling scalding water accidentally fall on him as a 3 yr old. Probably about a litre. He had burns all over his body. He still does.
It doesn't take a lot of scalding water to produce scars, burns, lesions. Its more how hot the water is and the scalding can take place in an instant. The injury in many cases being longterm.

Just as an unpleasant reminder if any guy had scalding water thrown on their lap I imagine there'd be some severe pain...

Old
11-15-2012, 12:49 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

small pot of boiling water on 3 yr old >>>>>>>>>>>> airplane sized portion tea cup on a grown woman ... and lets be honest - the water wasn't scalding served on an air plane. It's not like it was boiled and came right off the burner from a tea kettle.

Old
11-15-2012, 01:14 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
small pot of boiling water on 3 yr old >>>>>>>>>>>> airplane sized portion tea cup on a grown woman ... and lets be honest - the water wasn't scalding served on an air plane. It's not like it was boiled and came right off the burner from a tea kettle.
Is it possible that its microwaved? I'm not sure really. If it is that would be a huge problem. Far more unpredictable heating than a tea kettle.

By statement of evidence the woman has lesions, and scalding from the scalding water.

Everything I stated is predicated on IF her reports are substantiated. i.e. if her claims of injuries and suffering are true. In which case it would mean the water was scalding in order to cause the alleged injuries.

lol pretty soon we'll be arguing proper tea etiquette or some such thing if hockey doesn't come back soon.

So whats peoples favorite breakfast cereal? With strawberries or banana? Do they still make prostars?

Last edited by Replacement: 11-15-2012 at 01:19 AM.
Old
11-15-2012, 01:17 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

I'm thinking she's after a pay day. An airplane doesn't have the means to boil water onboard. I've seen my wife order a tea on the airplane enough times to know, they have a thermos with something a little hotter than lukewarm in it. It isn't giving off steam when its poured. And if you read the article, she had the water on her tray and it was "bumped" by the person in front of her shifting in their seat. Smells like ******** to me.

Old
11-15-2012, 01:22 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
I'm thinking she's after a pay day. An airplane doesn't have the means to boil water onboard. I've seen my wife order a tea on the airplane enough times to know, they have a thermos with something a little hotter than lukewarm in it. It isn't giving off steam when its poured. And if you read the article, she had the water on her tray and it was "bumped" by the person in front of her shifting in their seat. Smells like ******** to me.
I hear you. She needs evidence of her injuries with this being DR's reports, photos, and substantiated medical statements on how she could be impacted. Without that she doesn't have much of a case I imagine. If its frivolous this will be shown. In instances that are I wouldn't mind a userpay legal system for obvious attempts to appropriate the legal system for spurious gains.

Old
11-15-2012, 01:47 AM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Based on the story written, it was 2nd degree burns to what I would assume is less than 10% of her body through clothing (considering an entire leg is around 18%)
2nd degree burns with water tend to affect only the epidermis and very upper dermis without damaging sweat glands or hair follicles or having extensive scarring.

For her to claim all those problems and expect to win especially if she was wearing pants at the time....I dunno

But then again they have barely given enough information in the story to truly know anything about it. She could have been more severely injured but one would think they'd call it third degree or there would need to be flame or oil involved to cause the damage she is stating.

Last edited by T-Funk: 11-15-2012 at 01:59 AM.
Old
11-15-2012, 07:40 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

I wish I was making this **** up.

Move over Yakupov, Ovechkin, Crosby. Coming soon to a city near you(no, already here) Superstar researchers worth 10M. Elitist U. Federal govts can fund this crap, but look out university tuition..

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/healt...318/story.html

Quote:
A European scientist widely described as a “superstar” when he was lured to Edmonton with $10 million from the federal government has aborted his Canadian experiment.
After just seven months at the University of Alberta, Patrik Rorsman returned to Oxford, England, forfeiting his $10-million Canada Excellence Research Chair.

Rorsman was one of 19 foreign men awarded lucrative deals at Canadian universities in 2010 as part of a $190-million Canada Excellence Research Chair program, the federal government’s ambitious science talent drive.
It gets better. We gotta throw a Nylander Stepford Wife in here:

Quote:
But he said the deal-breaker was the way the U of A treated his wife, who had initially planned to move to Edmonton, leaving their children, aged 16 to 22, and aging parents behind.

His wife works in administration at Oxford, and Rorsman said she was offered a good position in Edmonton. But she was told she could only have two weeks vacation a year. She asked for 11 more days without pay. “Unfortunately, the university was not very flexible on that score,” he said.

As her negotiations dragged on, Rorsman headed to Edmonton in February 2011. In the end, his wife decided not to move.
Wait, let me get this, your husband is awarded a 10M buck contract. relocation expenses, guaranteed job for wife, jobs for his staff, favorite secretaries.. and the deal breaker is not having MORE than two weeks paid holiday for his wife? Thats the deal breaker?!?

I'm speechless here. I keep looking at the calendar and its not April 1st.

But anyway, nice that the federal govt, that doesn't fund arenas for superstar hockey athletes has found a new superstar club to drop 200M on. your hard paid taxes at work for you. I'm sure it takes 10M buck researchers to further study these days. God how did any medical science or cures ever get done in the old days. Love or money? Looks like money winning everytime out. Who needs periodicals and published research when you have superstars and fame. Couple probably looks like the Beckhams..

Stay the **** at Oxford. We're good without you. Who dreams this **** up?

This article just keeps on giving:

Quote:
Michele Boutin, executive director of the program, said the universities have in effect been given “hunting licences” to go and find “rock star” scientists to fill the positions, each of which will receive up to $10 million over seven years from the federal government. The government says the grants are among the most prestigious and generous in the world.
"rock star" scientists. These people are nuts. As far as the bolded, yeah, I'm not surprised. We have no fiscal accountability here.

Last edited by Replacement: 11-15-2012 at 07:49 AM.
Old
11-15-2012, 09:16 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
So that Jays deal, is it going through?

Old
11-15-2012, 09:18 AM
The Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
One of my best friends growing up had a small pot of boiling scalding water accidentally fall on him as a 3 yr old. Probably about a litre. He had burns all over his body. He still does.
It doesn't take a lot of scalding water to produce scars, burns, lesions. Its more how hot the water is and the scalding can take place in an instant. The injury in many cases being longterm.

Just as an unpleasant reminder if any guy had scalding water thrown on their lap I imagine there'd be some severe pain...
I can attest to that. I dropped a can of very hot tea (between 1/2L an 1L) on my left thigh when I was 10 or 11. I don't remember the degree of the burns, but I stayed two weeks in hospital and I have a scar on my upper left thigh. Beside the initial pain, removing bandages every day was very painful also. I consider myself lucky that my crotch area was unaffected.

Old
11-15-2012, 09:41 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Its not the passengers job to recognize the safety concerns and ensure her own safety in this instance. its up to the airline that served her scalding hot water in an uncontrolled environment.
It's always our job to recognize safety concerns. When you're climbing up a mountain do you need a reminder that some rocks may be lose? Or when you're looking over the edge of a cliff do you need a reminder or need a fence in front of you to keep you from falling?

As you alluded to above that's what I was getting at earlier, it's so ******* cramped on a plane that the last thing I would do is order a hot beverage, hell the turbulance alone is one reason I wouldn't. Having a lid or not the liquid is at some point exposed to possibly causing an accident.

Quote:
If a drunk waitress in a restaurant stumbled, and scalding hot water landed on a customer would there be any questioning who is at fault?
I don't recall this case having a drunk waitress.

Quote:

This is a whole liter scalding a 3yo. Not 150ml scalding your lap of an adult. Let's at least compare apples to apples. No doubt scalding water can burn you I mean it's hot afterall, however I don't need a sign on my stove to tell me to handle it with care when in use.

Old
11-15-2012, 09:42 AM
The Moose

Quote:
Move over Yakupov, Ovechkin, Crosby. Coming soon to a city near you(no, already here) Superstar researchers worth 10M. Elitist U. Federal govts can fund this crap, but look out university tuition..

Wait, let me get this, your husband is awarded a 10M buck contract. relocation expenses, guaranteed job for wife, jobs for his staff, favorite secretaries.. and the deal breaker is not having MORE than two weeks paid holiday for his wife? Thats the deal breaker?!?

But anyway, nice that the federal govt, that doesn't fund arenas for superstar hockey athletes has found a new superstar club to drop 200M on. your hard paid taxes at work for you. I'm sure it takes 10M buck researchers to further study these days. God how did any medical science or cures ever get done in the old days. Love or money? Looks like money winning everytime out. Who needs periodicals and published research when you have superstars and fame. Couple probably looks like the Beckhams..

"rock star" scientists. These people are nuts. As far as the bolded, yeah, I'm not surprised. We have no fiscal accountability here.

I think your outrage is a bit over the top. The $10mil is a research grant not salary, so the comparison with Beckham or Crosby are really not justified in any way. Rorsman is hardly unique and top universities recruit researchers under similar conditions all the time. In terms of benefit to society, funding a $200mil arena or funding 20 scientists to open research labs in various areas from medicine to engineering, it is not even close. Where the government is wrong, in my opinion, is that big money thrown at few people comes at the expense of severe shortages in funding existing researchers and labs. This is not new money, it is just shifted from one pot to another. Funding for NSERC and CIHR has been stagnant for years, with falling success rates for applicants. The reality is that UofA or any Canadian university rarely can compete for top 0.1% talent with big research universities like Oxford, MIT, etc which have much larger research budgets and are able to attract much larger private investments as well. In my opinion, they should not even try if it comes at the expense of the other non-top 0.1%, but still excellent, researchers.

Old
11-15-2012, 09:43 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
So whats peoples favorite breakfast cereal? With strawberries or banana? Do they still make prostars?
I steer clear of any cereal with big chunks as they are choking hazards after all. Can't believe the government has let these bafoons produce foods like this.

Old
11-15-2012, 09:44 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
I steer clear of any cereal with big chunks as they are choking hazards after all. Can't believe the government has let these bafoons produce foods like this.

Old
11-15-2012, 09:45 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
Based on the story written, it was 2nd degree burns to what I would assume is less than 10% of her body through clothing (considering an entire leg is around 18%)
2nd degree burns with water tend to affect only the epidermis and very upper dermis without damaging sweat glands or hair follicles or having extensive scarring.

For her to claim all those problems and expect to win especially if she was wearing pants at the time....I dunno

But then again they have barely given enough information in the story to truly know anything about it. She could have been more severely injured but one would think they'd call it third degree or there would need to be flame or oil involved to cause the damage she is stating.
Exactly my main shake head from that article was reading the amount she's suing for(~quarter of a million) and the fact that they are 2nd degree burns or alleged anyhow.

Last edited by Reimer: 11-15-2012 at 09:53 AM.
Old
11-15-2012, 09:51 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:

I'll agree with you on every account Replacement that the whole thing is pretty pathetic. But in regards to the wife's 2 weeks vacation that is pretty bush league. But welcome to AB, work your life away and don't take any time off. When you do want to take time off we'll let you know when you can. That's the typical AB mentality when it comes to vacation days for employees and letting employees take vacation. Not much accountability there either.

With that said I'm surprised that this great high up job they found her is cheap enough to only offer 2 weeks vacation and weasn't willing to budge. I started with 3 weeks at my job and will get 4 after 3 years.

Old
11-15-2012, 10:28 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
haha. good one.

My devils advocacy deserves that response.

Old
11-15-2012, 10:34 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
I'll agree with you on every account Replacement that the whole thing is pretty pathetic. But in regards to the wife's 2 weeks vacation that is pretty bush league. But welcome to AB, work your life away and don't take any time off. When you do want to take time off we'll let you know when you can. That's the typical AB mentality when it comes to vacation days for employees and letting employees take vacation. Not much accountability there either.

With that said I'm surprised that this great high up job they found her is cheap enough to only offer 2 weeks vacation and weasn't willing to budge. I started with 3 weeks at my job and will get 4 after 3 years.
I have the same concerns with the Alberta mentality ftr. Work till you die, taxes still due, work some more..

But when something like that becomes a sticking point in a negotiation you wonder, for either side, if its a convenient way to back out of a deal. Financially it just doesn't make sense. They specifically said "paid holiday" with no mention of whether she could take leave, sick time, or other time off instead. Which is probably doable.

Old
11-15-2012, 10:34 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
So that Jays deal, is it going through?
As far as I know it is. I think it's still pending the regular physicals and such but otherwise everyone in sports is talking that it's a done deal.

Old
11-15-2012, 10:56 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
As far as I know it is. I think it's still pending the regular physicals and such but otherwise everyone in sports is talking that it's a done deal.
I heard on the sonic sports news that the league hasn't received any paperwork. Granted Sonic isn't the best source, it wouldn't be shocking to see this deal not go through.

Old
11-15-2012, 10:57 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
I have the same concerns with the Alberta mentality ftr. Work till you die, taxes still due, work some more..

But when something like that becomes a sticking point in a negotiation you wonder, for either side, if its a convenient way to back out of a deal. Financially it just doesn't make sense. They specifically said "paid holiday" with no mention of whether she could take leave, sick time, or other time off instead. Which is probably doable.
Yeah more than likely. In terms of her and her husbands situation overall it is stupid to let that block it. However I was mainly just commenting on the vacation in AB situation overall.

Old
11-15-2012, 11:03 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I heard on the sonic sports news that the league hasn't received any paperwork. Granted Sonic isn't the best source, it wouldn't be shocking to see this deal not go through.
I haven't heard that notion anywhere. I believe the official MLB website said it's still pending league approval last night, which to me would mean they have the paperwork. Like you said Sonic isn't the greatest souce for news from BK. However anything is possible and yes the MLB can say no we don't want this trade to happen it is far to unfair for the MArlins fans.

Old
11-15-2012, 11:10 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
I haven't heard that notion anywhere. I believe the official MLB website said it's still pending league approval last night, which to me would mean they have the paperwork. Like you said Sonic isn't the greatest souce for news from BK. However anything is possible and yes the MLB can say no we don't want this trade to happen it is far to unfair for the MArlins fans.
Marlin fans? I've heard Yankee fans more than marlin fans complaining.

Closed Thread