HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated"
Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated" Rated PG13, unmoderated but threads must stay on topic - that means you can flame each other all you want as long as it's legal

Israel-Gaza conflict huge escalation

Old
11-14-2012, 02:02 PM
awfulwaffle

vCash: 500
Am I the only one that doesn't care? As long as the US doesn't get involved, let them do whatever they want. I mean hell, Israel has said they could handle Iran without our help. The less we spend on helping other countrie's military campaigns the better IMO.

awfulwaffle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 02:07 PM
slip

Israel's greatest hope for normalcy is to come to the recognition that co-existence with the Palestinians is the real path to peace and security. A unified Israel/Palesitne living "together and equally" -- as this requirement is non-negotiable in a real democracy -- becomes a beacon for regional stability and growth, and thus presents itself as a meaningful alternative to Saudi Arabia and other Persian Gulf states (Qatar, UAE, Kuwait), the true "racist scum" in the Middle East (see how they treat SE Asian and Indian laborers), who live shielded by the American military (on the taxpayer's dime, no less).

It's a crazy system that needs end if Israel is to not just survive, but prosper beyond its wildest dreams. But that is possible when everyone is equal before the law, regardless of religious affiliation. If not for American meddling, there is not doubt in my mind Israel would well down this path already.

slip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 02:15 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 1322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke the Legend View Post
1) Palestinians never had a country. The area was sovereign territory of the Ottomon Empire than a British territory after, then split between Israel, Egypt and Jordan.

2) Many arabs are themselves descended from "colonists" who have only beeen there for 100-150 years.

You can get wishy washy about it if you want, but the fact is the Israelis would not have this problem now if they actually did engage in outright expulsions of people like many other nations have in the past 100 years (Hindus out of Pakistan, Greece-Turkey, Germans out of Eastern Europe, Jews out of Mid-East, etc.).

Why does it matter if there never was a country. There have been Palestinian people for thousands of years, and the West bank and Gaza have been where they have lived for thousands of years. If Israel, (let's not kid ourselves, they have more power and international influence to make change happen) just let go of those territories, and Jerusalem was declared a neutral territory (similar to Antarctica) because it is not important to only Jewish people. Then that would tone down fighting a lot.

If nations should engage in ethnic cleansing, or as you put it expulsion, then maybe all the aboriginal people should kick us out of the Americas, Australia, and New Zealand. Not to mention "those other Arab countries" that you think Palestinians should move, should kick out all the Palestinians

saskriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 03:29 PM
StokesAndJokes

Anything else happen? Just got back from work.

I see Egypt recalled their ambassador from Israel and called for an emergency meeting.

http://rt.com/news/egypt-ambassador-un-israel-719/

StokesAndJokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 03:47 PM
StokesAndJokes

Reports of two explosions in two separate Israeli towns.

Also hearing ground invasion has begun but no reputable source yet.

Old
11-14-2012, 03:48 PM
Papaspud
Bring on...

Maybe this is how the Mayans will be right after all.

Papaspud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 04:09 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
No surprise no coverage by US Media

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 04:24 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Well, I guess they can keep fighting and losing if they want, just like they have been since the 1948 war. Until somebody who can actually beat Israel in a fight shows up, Israel isn't going away.

Seems like a lot easier for an Arab "Palestinian" to just go move his family to a country populated by other muslim arabs and build a new prosperous and peaceful life instead of dedicating his life to Jihad against Israel. millions of displaced people had to do this post-WW2 all over the world (Germans, Finns, Romanians, Ukrainians, Japanese, Chinese, Brits, etc.), including a million Jews who were kicked out of africa and mid-east, the only ones still fighting to reclaim what they lost (after the failures of their own aggressions) are these Arab Palestinians.
The other arab nations don't want them. That's as simple as that. They are too numerous and poor to be of any benefit to the already rather poor and underdevelopped arab countries.

The muslim countries like to blame Israel for their treatment of the Palestinians, but they are quite happy that the Palestinians are staying where they are.

Doesn't make it right.
Doesn't make the Israeli right.

Quote:
It's true that terrorism is misused, but "terrorist" has a pretty objective dictionary definition:

The Intelligence Community is guided by the definition of terrorism contained in Title 22 of the US Code, Section 2656f(d):

•The term "terrorism" means premeditated, politically motivated violence perpetrated against noncombatant targets by subnational groups or clandestine agents.

I'd say Hamas' & friends' rocket campaign fits that. Although you could actually argue that Hamas is a sovereign entity in which case it gets upgraded from "terrorism" to outright acts of war so a hard Israeli military response is even more justifief.
It'd be an interesting way of looking at things if Hamas actually had WAYS to attack actually combattant targets. They are holed up in a walled off section of the world, have minimal intelligence regarding the Israeli except the permanent settlements nearby.

Therefore, striking at these civilian settlements is litteraly the only way they have to fight back. Had they the means to fight and try to win properly, they would. But they clearly can't, and nobody fights to lose.

PricePkPatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 05:30 PM
StokesAndJokes

US, Canada, and Britain have all given their support of Israel for their operation.

Old
11-14-2012, 05:46 PM
Stylizer1
BoomBapOriginalRap

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by StokesAndJokes View Post
US, Canada, and Britain have all given their support of Israel for their operation.
Not this Canadian.

Stylizer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 06:27 PM
PSUCapsFan

Arabs don't want to be ruled under Jews. The Arabs nations would prefer to subjugate their minorities.

If Israel never existed and the entire region was split between Jordan and Egypt their would be no Palestinian movement today.

The very existence of Israel is a blow to the Arab mindset.

The people of Gaza chose Hamas in a fair election (supposedly). Hamas does not recognize Israels right to exist and continually fires rockets into Israeli territory. If the Palestinians in Gaza want change they should look at themselves first and elect new leaders.

Last edited by PSUCapsFan: 11-14-2012 at 06:33 PM.
PSUCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 06:31 PM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1340
Could anyone explain to be why people are pro-Palestine? I don't have a side to this, but to me, it seems as though Israel is just retaliating against Palestinian attacks, yet there are so many people, and that number increases, who support palestine and hate Israel and if anyone has any links I could check out, that would be awesome.

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 06:36 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 1322
Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
Could anyone explain to be why people are pro-Palestine? I don't have a side to this, but to me, it seems as though Israel is just retaliating against Palestinian attacks, yet there are so many people, and that number increases, who support palestine and hate Israel and if anyone has any links I could check out, that would be awesome.
I don't hate Israel, and consider my self neutral. However, Israel is a fully recognized nation, with good international relations with the developed world, and is the most developed country in the region. Israel has a lot more power to fix the problem

Last edited by saskriders: 11-14-2012 at 11:03 PM.
saskriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 06:57 PM
guest1467

Quote:
It is a chicken and egg argument.

But at the bottom line, which group is getting systematically subordinated, impoverished and abused? I think it's pretty clear to see when looking at it from that perspective.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 07:04 PM
Yoshimitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by StokesAndJokes View Post
Are you actually seeing this somewhere or are you assuming this to be the case?

Quote:
Undoubtedly there are those that hate Israel, but I think a lot of the reaction has to do with how the media tells the story in the west. Typically, it's rather one sided, portraying the Palestinians as "terrorists" and the Israelis as merely defending themselves. In reality, the entire situation is a complicated mess, and both sides have done wrong.

And like saskriders said, Israel is a fairly developed, relatively powerful nation. Some expect better.

Yoshimitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 08:00 PM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylizer1 View Post
Those same Palestinians who allowed Jews to live in their country before their buddies the colonialists stepped in?
Their country? Really.

ChiGuySez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 08:06 PM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

Quote:
Well, I guess they can keep fighting and losing if they want, just like they have been since the 1948 war. Until somebody who can actually beat Israel in a fight shows up, Israel isn't going away.

Seems like a lot easier for an Arab "Palestinian" to just go move his family to a country populated by other muslim arabs and build a new prosperous and peaceful life instead of dedicating his life to Jihad against Israel. millions of displaced people had to do this post-WW2 all over the world (Germans, Finns, Romanians, Ukrainians, Japanese, Chinese, Brits, etc.), including a million Jews who were kicked out of africa and mid-east, the only ones still fighting to reclaim what they lost (after the failures of their own aggressions) are these Arab Palestinians.
Unless Im mistaken, the other neighboring Arab states didnt want the Palestinian refugees. They knew better.

Old
11-14-2012, 08:20 PM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskriders View Post
Why does it matter if there never was a country. There have been Palestinian people for thousands of years, and the West bank and Gaza have been where they have lived for thousands of years. If Israel, (let's not kid ourselves, they have more power and international influence to make change happen) just let go of those territories, and Jerusalem was declared a neutral territory (similar to Antarctica) because it is not important to only Jewish people. Then that would tone down fighting a lot.

If nations should engage in ethnic cleansing, or as you put it expulsion, then maybe all the aboriginal people should kick us out of the Americas, Australia, and New Zealand. Not to mention "those other Arab countries" that you think Palestinians should move, should kick out all the Palestinians
Ethnic cleansing? Laughable. Palestinians or should we say Muslims who live in Palestine since both may be correctly termed Palestinian never accepted peace with the state of Israel and in fact instigated revolt and attacks on the Jews since before 1947. Ethnic cleansing suggests wholesale slaughter of a race or population. Quite a convenient term used by the left.

Old
11-14-2012, 08:31 PM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

vCash: 69
Quote:
Don't pull that thing out unless you plan to bang.
Bombs over Baghdaaaaad!!!!!

Helton4Hall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 08:53 PM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1340
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
It is a chicken and egg argument.

But at the bottom line, which group is getting systematically subordinated, impoverished and abused? I think it's pretty clear to see when looking at it from that perspective.
Okay that's what I thought. So I guess people expect more out of a rich nation like Israel especially against a weaker nation like Palestine?

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 09:04 PM
hitman9172

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuySez View Post
Ethnic cleansing? Laughable. Palestinians or should we say Muslims who live in Palestine since both may be correctly termed Palestinian never accepted peace with the state of Israel and in fact instigated revolt and attacks on the Jews since before 1947. Ethnic cleansing suggests wholesale slaughter of a race or population. Quite a convenient term used by the left.
Ethnic cleansing can also mean expulsion of a race or group of people, not just the slaughter of a people. One can make a strong case that the Palestinian expulsion of 1948 was ethnic cleansing

New Historian Benny Morris basically says there's no doubt that Israel was engaging in ethnic cleansing during and after the 1948 War and that they should have done a better job because the Palestinians that remained in Israel have been a thorn in its side and essentially acted as a Fifth Column.

I'm neutral as to who's more at fault, but I've found most North Americans are more pro-Israeli even though Israel is just as much at fault(potentially even more) as the Arabs. The Arabs can definitely be seen as being too stubborn in their refusal to accept the existence of the Israeli state, but Israel's aggressively expansionist policy since the 1948 War has been a huge catalyst for the ongoing conflict.

hitman9172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 10:04 PM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman9172 View Post
Ethnic cleansing can also mean expulsion of a race or group of people, not just the slaughter of a people. One can make a strong case that the Palestinian expulsion of 1948 was ethnic cleansing

New Historian Benny Morris basically says there's no doubt that Israel was engaging in ethnic cleansing during and after the 1948 War and that they should have done a better job because the Palestinians that remained in Israel have been a thorn in its side and essentially acted as a Fifth Column.

I'm neutral as to who's more at fault, but I've found most North Americans are more pro-Israeli even though Israel is just as much at fault(potentially even more) as the Arabs. The Arabs can definitely be seen as being too stubborn in their refusal to accept the existence of the Israeli state, but Israel's aggressively expansionist policy since the 1948 War has been a huge catalyst for the ongoing conflict.
Palestinian expulsion. Lets see. A portion left on their own accord due to the war (the war when the Arab league including Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Syria, SA and all other Arab nations declared war on Israel hours after declaring statehood). A portion were kicked out, this I do not disagree. How many, were kicked out? Im sure someone here can supply those figures. Maybe not. So what percentage was it. And due to the declaration of war and assault on Israel, would or could this really be classified as ethnic cleansing. If were talking semantics, cant justified imprisonment of certain ethnic populations, just because they do not want to abide by laws be classified as ethnic cleansing. Im just talking semantics and being facetious of course because that what 'new historians' do.

The Palestinians will probably never make any agreement with Israel and Israel will never give up Jerusalem. Fact is neither side will probably agree to terms as much as the kumbayahs here think they should or might.

Borders have changed throughout history and will continue to change. Thats a fact. Just depends who can hold said territories either by peaceful negotiations, militarily or otherwise.

Old
11-14-2012, 11:13 PM
Dugray
No Gifs This Time

vCash: 50
Quote:
Fire rockets into Israel. Israel fires back with a drone missile on a Hamas leader. Hamas responds, "HEY? What the HELL GUYS? We were just firing rockets at you but now this is war!"
There won't be peace in that **** hole of a region until one side or the other is annihilated. Get to work Israel, you've got a lot of killing to do if you want peace.

Dugray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 11:27 PM
Abduljabbar
Rookie User

Quote:

Yeah that's a great excuse. Move all the Native Americans in the U.S. to Canada because they're so easily movable.

Abduljabbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 11:28 PM
Abduljabbar
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dugray View Post
There won't be peace in that **** hole of a region until one side or the other is annihilated. Get to work Israel, you've got a lot of killing to do if you want peace.

Nothing says peace like dead Arabs.

Abduljabbar is offline   Reply With Quote