HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off-season Madness the 3rd: Jeffrey Loria taketh and Jeffrey Loria giveth away

Closed Thread

Old
11-14-2012, 11:42 PM
topched

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokil View Post
of the top 30 hitters in baseball, 7 are CFs...that's more than any single position

I don't buy into this 'down the middle' stereotype you have, it doesn't hold water
Top 30 hitters in baseball?

Where is this magical list?

Oh wait I know, you go to mlb.com and click-sort the column that says ".AVG"

EDIT: WOW... that is actually what you did...

McCutchen
Trout
Hunter (who btw hasn't played CF regularly in 2 years)
Jay
Rios
Jackson
Fowler

The only players from that list who I would put in the "top 30 hitters" in the mlb would be McCutchen and Trout.

Old
11-14-2012, 11:43 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
Top 30 hitters in baseball?

Where is this magical list?

Oh wait I know, you go to mlb.com and click-sort the column that says ".AVG"
AVG, hits, runs, OBP...want more categories where the position leads?

Were you expecting some contrived WAR-type stat?

Old
11-14-2012, 11:43 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Mayhew View Post
What's the hockey equivalent of this trade? Everyone's talking about it, but I don't know the players so I can't really 100% understand the excitement.
It's been posted many times in this thread, gotta find it.

Old
11-14-2012, 11:47 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
Pagan and Victorino will likely get some good money and they will most likely sign to play CF.

I think Melky Cabrera makes a lot of sense for the Jays. Maybe the PED's really helped him but its no sure thing he was using it in 2011. Had some decent years with the Yankees too as a pretty young player. I'd take a gamble on him at a reasonable 1 year deal. I doubt teams are lining up to give him multiple years + good money -- most likely will settle for a 1 year deal and try to re-establish value.
really he didn't.

From 2006 to 2010, his average season was 142 games (528 PAs) hitting .267/.329/.709 with 8 homers and a WAR hovering around 0

With the Yankees he was basically a replacement level player thrust into regular duty because they didnt have anything better to offer at the time.

if he wants a cheap 1-year to prove that his 11 and 12 stats weren't a fluke, fine. But he doesn't have any track record prior to 2011 that says he's worth full-time starter money.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
11-14-2012, 11:48 PM
topched

Quote:
AVG, hits, runs...want more categories where the position leads?

Were you expecting some contrived WAR-type stat?
No just a little bit of observation and logic.

Old
11-14-2012, 11:48 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
of the top 30 hitters in baseball, 7 are CFs...that's more than any single position

I don't buy into this 'down the middle' stereotype you have, it doesn't hold water
It usually holds true but yeah, a few CF had some pretty big years.

Though if you are counting guys like Hamilton/Cespedes/Carlos Gonzalez, that's skewing it. Those guys aren't really CF. Dexter Fowler is pretty bad defensively too. Rios is a RF. Only real legit CF out of that group is Trout/McCutchen/Jackson.

With up the middle guys, you mostly need defensive guys because they will provide more than enough value for you if they have an average with plus defense up the middle. If they offer you a plus bat, you have yourself an all-star and those guys are tough to find.

Last edited by Nasty Nazem: 11-14-2012 at 11:55 PM.
Old
11-14-2012, 11:49 PM
Badger Mayhew

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
It's been posted many times in this thread, gotta find it.
Found this

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...7#post55760507

No thanks to you.

Old
11-14-2012, 11:49 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

Quote:
No just a little bit of observation and logic.
Is this your way of saying you're living in denial?

Old
11-14-2012, 11:54 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
really he didn't.

From 2006 to 2010, his average season was 142 games (528 PAs) hitting .267/.329/.709 with 8 homers and a WAR hovering around 0

With the Yankees he was basically a replacement level player thrust into regular duty because they didnt have anything better to offer at the time.

if he wants a cheap 1-year to prove that his 11 and 12 stats weren't a fluke, fine. But he doesn't have any track record prior to 2011 that says he's worth full-time starter money.
I did say he had some decent years with the Yankees. .752 OPS in 06 (rookie year as 21 years old) and 09. Had a bit of a down year in 2007 in his sophomore season. Was awful in 2008 and 2010 with the Braves. He wasn't great with the Yankees but he was decent and pretty young at the time. I think its reasonable to think he could have improved too.

But yes, I wouldn't give him more than a 1 year deal at like 6-7M or so.

Old
11-14-2012, 11:57 PM
HappyGilmourr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Mayhew View Post
What's the hockey equivalent of this trade? Everyone's talking about it, but I don't know the players so I can't really 100% understand the excitement.
Buerhle is a really reliable work horse starter and Josh Johnson is a fantastic pitcher with ace qualities but with a few question marks. Going from an irrelevant pitching staff to having a top 10 pitching rotation is like getting a top 10 goalie. It's like the leafs getting Cam Ward.

Adding Reyes is adding legitimate super star bat... he could win another batting title and he's always going to steal a lot of bases. It's like adding Patrick Kane, but already having a number one centre like Stamkos (Bautista)

Old
11-14-2012, 11:59 PM
Guy Boucher

I don't know much about baseball but is there any chance Brett Lawrie can play 2b and we can get someone to play 3b with a bit more power?

Old
11-15-2012, 12:01 AM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

vCash: 350
Imagine if AA adds a Freeman or a Belt. That would be so nasty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Boucher View Post
I don't know much about baseball but is there any chance Brett Lawrie can play 2b and we can get someone to play 3b with a bit more power?
To put it kindly, no. His frame is more suitable for 3B, and he displays excellent range at the position. He also has the potential to hit 25+ bombs, his power was just (obviously) non-existent last year.

Old
11-15-2012, 12:02 AM
HappyGilmourr

Quote:
Lawrie has been groomed sorta speak to play third. He did well there last season and he has the offensive ability to stay there. No sense in moving him over to second.

Old
11-15-2012, 12:04 AM
Everlong
Franchise Pillar

Quote:
It's not your fault, but this discussion about Lawrie moving to 2b has been beaten to death. Simply put, it's not going to happen. Lawrie is our 3B for the foreseeable future.

Old
11-15-2012, 12:09 AM
topched

Quote:
No its more like every single baseball watching person in this world knows that .avg is not the only stat that matters.

I suppose players 1-49 are better than Albert Pujols... including the likes of Paul Goldschmidt, Ben Revere, Jordan Pacheco, Nori Aoki and Erik Aybar?

No doubt in my mind that there were 60 better hitters in the MLB than Edwin this year.

I'm okay with you arguing that there are some good CF hitters in the show... not ok with you suggesting that the best hitters in the league are sorted by batting average.

Old
11-15-2012, 12:10 AM
Nazem Gretzky
Eller 4 Selke

Send a message via AIM to Nazem Gretzky
Just noticed that Rasmus had a .354 BABIP in 2010.

No wonder he had such a good year.

Old
11-15-2012, 12:24 AM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amazing Ralph View Post

While I don't expect him to replicate the .370 wOBA, if his BABIP can be around the league average then I'm sure his offensive numbers will be satisfying at CF (or LF, when Gose is ready).

I also found this little nugget by Matt Sosnick in Davidi's most recent SN article.
Quote:
"The Blue Jays went from a four to an 8 in one day," said Matt Sosnick, the agent for right-hander Josh Johnson. "Players want to play for a winner. There’s an unknown going to Canada, but with one trade they’ve made it more attractive to the other 750 players in the major-leagues."
This trade didn't just bring us back into relevance in the AL East, but it brings back the respectability players had for the Jays from 20 years ago.

Old
11-15-2012, 12:37 AM
alcanalz
whys and wherefores

vCash: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise from the Ashes View Post
Honestly, I think the Jays need to look into hiring a new training/medical staff as injuries on that level are simply ridiculous. Albeit many of them were freak injuries, still, thats just silly.
What would a different medical or training staff have done differently, especially if many of them were freak injuries?

Old
11-15-2012, 12:46 AM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

Quote:
No its more like every single baseball watching person in this world knows that .avg is not the only stat that matters.
It's the most important stat, but not the only stat; but I did throw hits, runs, and OBP out there too which you conveniently ignored.

Seeing as the original point I was countering was that CF isn't usually a position that can hit...using things like, you know, hitting average and total hits are kinda relevant here

Old
11-15-2012, 12:49 AM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
It's the most important stat, but I did throw hits, runs, and OBP out there too which you conveniently ignored.
Average is not the most important stat. It's not even the most important stat of its type. OBP is basically what average should've been if ye olde time sports writers from the early days of baseball hadn't arbitrarily decided that walks had nothing to do with the hitter at the plate. There's no such thing as the most important stat.

Old
11-15-2012, 12:50 AM
Scion

Quote:

Quote:
You are embarrassing yourself. My advice is to quit while you are ahead.

Old
11-15-2012, 12:52 AM
Drop The Mits
Toronto Blue Dingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scion View Post
You are embarrassing yourself. My advice is to quit while you are ahead.
The CN tower is too much of an eye sore for him to *see* your point

Old
11-15-2012, 12:58 AM
Scion

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amazing Ralph View Post

That is a vast oversimplification. Colby Rasmus enjoyed his highest: ISO, BB% and base running rates in 2010. It is not as simple as Rasmus overachieved because the ball fell in play at an above average rate. He was legitimately good in 2010, and has shown flashes since then to warrant giving him another shot.

Old
11-15-2012, 01:15 AM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
It's the most important stat, but not the only stat; but I did throw hits, runs, and OBP out there too which you conveniently ignored.

Seeing as the original point I was countering was that CF isn't usually a position that can hit...using things like, you know, hitting average and total hits are kinda relevant here
Batting average is the most important stat? WOW. No, it's certainly not. In fact, it's one of the least telling stats and is pretty irrelevant in the grand scheme of statistics. Bautista is a career .253 hitter, nuff' said.

Old
11-15-2012, 01:29 AM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
Batting average is the most important stat? WOW. No, it's certainly not. In fact, it's one of the least telling stats and is pretty irrelevant in the grand scheme of statistics. Bautista is a career .253 hitter, nuff' said.
If you're going to factor in his average with the Pirates, please realize this is why they gave him to us for a song. 'nuff said.

Closed Thread