HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

RW Valeri Nichushkin - Chelyabinsk, KHL (2013, 10th overall, Dallas)

Closed Thread

Old
10-29-2012, 01:47 PM
Hockeysemin

vCash: 500
he was 1+2 today, so 8+2 in 15 games in VHL which is pretty good for a 17 year old..

Old
10-29-2012, 02:11 PM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

I know Brian Burke would never pick him, but for what its worth I think this kid is going to become a great player.

Old
11-01-2012, 09:43 PM
Tra La La

Goal around 42-43 minutes in. 1:16 minutes draws a penalty shot.

Old
11-02-2012, 12:44 AM
Sartorial
#RegisteredUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tra La La View Post
Goal around 42-43 minutes in. 1:16 minutes draws a penalty shot.

Thanks for this! That was a pretty nice goal on the penalty shot too.

Old
11-08-2012, 01:17 AM
Sartorial
#RegisteredUser

I thought Nichushkin had a pretty good game. He definitely showed flashes of his skill (great hands, speed, vision), and he was also pretty physical, which was admittedly surprising to me. Canada played a pretty prudent game but you could still tell the kids going to be great.

Old
11-08-2012, 12:47 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Thing that immediately sticks out with him is his skating fluidity for his size. Havent been able to gauge his hockey sense level yet though.

Old
11-08-2012, 12:59 PM
MaxV

He is really talented.

He does try too many individual runs and low-percentage shots from weird angles. He needs to learn to play within the team more.

Old
11-08-2012, 04:46 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

Did he grow 3-4 inches since the U17?

Hopefully he is a mesomorph.

Old
11-08-2012, 04:56 PM
Sartorial
#RegisteredUser

Excited to get another look tonight. Hopefully Russia dresses him. Button has him at #4 but McKenzie didn't have him in his preseason top 20. Definitely an intriguing prospect.

Old
11-09-2012, 02:24 AM
Security Guard Chang*
Chang's Army

Reminds me of bure

Old
11-09-2012, 02:31 AM
Mathletic

Not sold on his overall game, vision etc. but I have to admit he's very good with the puck and driving to the net.

Old
11-09-2012, 03:27 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Security Guard Chang View Post
Reminds me of bure
Say what?

I dont think so.

That said he looked pretty good. Big and strong. Looks like he could be a legit power forward.

Old
11-13-2012, 12:42 AM
Sartorial
#RegisteredUser

Hmm. Seen him 3 games now and definitely don't see him going #9 where I originally had him projected. But 3 games is hardly a good sample so we'll see.

He definitely has top 10 skill, even in this, a deep draft.

Old
11-13-2012, 02:08 AM
DKQ
Generic User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrappingYoungChad View Post
Hmm. Seen him 3 games now and definitely don't see him going #9 where I originally had him projected. But 3 games is hardly a good sample so we'll see.

I see him going in the 15-20 range. Lots of talent, but inconsistent on a shift-to-shift basis. Also, the Russian factor is strong with this one

Old
11-13-2012, 05:15 AM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrappingYoungChad View Post

There was never a chance of him going in the top ten after he signed his first KHL contract, which expires in 2015.
Cherepanov, Kuznetsov, and Tarasenko were top ten talents that fell because of transfer issues, and he's not close to the level of any of them.

To me, it looks like he still plays the game like he's playing youth hockey.
He was a dominant player when he was younger, which is why he has been hyped on here for some time, but I think that he probably learned bad habits from his domination.
He wants to do it all and that's it.
It's a common problem among younger players that are more skilled than their peers, but the good ones are able to adapt as they move up.

For me, he has shown little to no ability to adapt his game, both long-term and short-term, since I first saw him last year at the WJAC.
What I mean by that is that he doesn't adapt within a game when met with adversity and he doesn't seem like he's changed his style at all.
As I said in the SSS thread, he has all the tools - he's big, fast, and strong.
That allows for him to dominate at lower levels of competition, but as he moves up, those factors start to be neutralized.
Everyone is bigger, faster, and stronger and even if they aren't quite at the same level, the gap is much smaller.
If you're a one trick pony, the rest of the difference is made up by improved coaching and systems.

I guess there's a possibility that he adapts a bit as he gets used to playing at higher levels and plays less selfish, but to me, there's no way someone that has such a consistently pre-programmed robotic style of play can possess the level of hockey sense needed to be a high level player in the NHL.
When the chips are down and physical and skill levels are fairly equal, you need players that just have an innate feel for the game and are able to adapt to any situation and any defense they are faced with rather than ones that will continue to try to jam the square peg into the round hole.

tl;dr right now he's a do not draft for me based on transfer issues and a seemingly severe lack of hockey sense.
I just can't see him ever locking down a top six spot if he chooses to come over (because of how much difficulty he has adapting) and reality is that really the only Russian forwards that stick are stars.
The rest jump at the opportunity to play at a high level in their native country for high pay, and you can't blame them for that.
I'm sure someone will like him enough to take a chance though and I wouldn't be surprised to see him taken in the mid to late rounds, which will automatically make him a steal on HF based on his previous reputation, tools, and the hope that he'll put it all together.
He'll probably be pretty good at the junior level too as he matures and will show flashes of tantalizing ability, but that won't mean much unless by some rare circumstance he has completely fooled me and others thus far and actually possesses some hockey sense.

If you're looking for the next skilled Russian power forward, keep an eye on Arkhip Nekolenko (2014).
He may not be as vaunted, but he looked great at the WJAC last week and leads all 96's in MHL scoring.
The FHR thought highly enough of him that they invited him to a U19 event as a 16 year old, so I'm not as worried about the small sample size right now.

Old
11-13-2012, 06:22 AM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
There was never a chance...
I think that's a pretty accurate analysis of Nichushkin. But he has plenty of time to develop and playing in a pro hockey league at his age will humble him and force him to become more of a team player, I think. It sort of reminds me of Kuznetsov, who had a rather uninspired first year of KHL and just rocketed from there. But as far as tools and top end talent goes, I think Nichushkin has got it.

Old
11-13-2012, 09:09 AM
Beesfan

I see him going in the 25-45 overall range. Compare him to Grigorenko last year: 1) Grigs is the better player; 2) Grigs came to play in North America; 3) Grigs was in a significantly weaker draft class.

If Grigorenko went 12th overall under those circumstances, I think it's fair to speculate that Nichushkin might fall out of the 1st round entirely.

Old
11-13-2012, 10:44 AM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beesfan View Post
I see him going in the 25-45 overall range. Compare him to Grigorenko last year: 1) Grigs is the better player; 2) Grigs came to play in North America; 3) Grigs was in a significantly weaker draft class.

If Grigorenko went 12th overall under those circumstances, I think it's fair to speculate that Nichushkin might fall out of the 1st round entirely.
They're very similar players. Many believe Nuchushkin has more upside.

Old
11-13-2012, 11:56 AM
Flynn84

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
If you're looking for the next skilled Russian power forward, keep an eye on Arkhip Nekolenko (2014).
He may not be as vaunted, but he looked great at the WJAC last week and leads all 96's in MHL scoring.
The FHR thought highly enough of him that they invited him to a U19 event as a 16 year old, so I'm not as worried about the small sample size right now.
But Russia send U17 team. Arkhip was one year younger than other russians. Most of the best russian 95's was never available and this open the doors for rookies like Nekolenko.

Old
11-13-2012, 11:58 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beesfan View Post
I see him going in the 25-45 overall range.
I bet you 100.00 HF dollars that he will go in top 20.

Old
11-13-2012, 12:04 PM
Flynn84

And i think the Varnakov's hockey not for the Nichushkin type of player. Too much time in own zone, too closed and cautious tactics.
It's not the traditional russian style, i think.
Soon he would be extremely great, i almost sure

Old
11-13-2012, 12:51 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1379
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatMapleLeafs28 View Post
They're very similar players. Many believe Nuchushkin has more upside.
Stylistically? Hell no, just about as far as you can get...

Old
11-13-2012, 02:20 PM
hawksfan50

Speed Size and power -BUT tries to make all plays by himself--no use of teamates-so either questionable vision/anticipation,hockey sense and passing --all these need to be demonstrated or else it is a waste of his other gifts ..ALSO he could get into positions to receive and convert better -instead tries to score all by himself-not gonna be successful unless he adapts EITHER passing to teamates more or becoming the finisher of teamates passes to him -he is not gifted enough in the hands dept. to finish off his own power rushes.. so he needs something else to his game.

Old
11-13-2012, 03:46 PM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawksfan50 View Post
Speed Size and power -BUT tries to make all plays by himself--no use of teamates-so either questionable vision/anticipation,hockey sense and passing --all these need to be demonstrated or else it is a waste of his other gifts ..ALSO he could get into positions to receive and convert better -instead tries to score all by himself-not gonna be successful unless he adapts EITHER passing to teamates more or becoming the finisher of teamates passes to him -he is not gifted enough in the hands dept. to finish off his own power rushes.. so he needs something else to his game.
Agreed. With his skill set though there is no reason to believe he won't develop a little more finish. Rick Nash upside here.

Old
11-15-2012, 01:44 AM
Sartorial
#RegisteredUser

This was by FAR Nichushkin's best game of the series. If he plays like this constantly, he'd go top 10. He was actually passing the puck as well as grinding it out a bit. He still showcased his high end skill with a nifty move against Reilly to get a pretty good shot off.

Closed Thread