HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

2012 Subway Series II

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-15-2012, 01:43 AM
  #501
Nash
Registered User
 
Nash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: North Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
I'm not overly worried about lack of production, since the talent and all is still there.
The talent is there, which is why I was shocked with the shoot out tonight. I expected some flashy Russian goals. Getting blanked was not what I expected at all.

Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 01:44 AM
  #502
arsmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 18,118
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
I honestly think he got shutdown by Siemens, but I do agree that he can be much better than he was tonight.
Hope so. I'll be in he building tomorrow night.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 01:47 AM
  #503
Teekko
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 269
vCash: 500
How did Sissons look?

Teekko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 01:48 AM
  #504
VeteranNetPresence
Disco Super Fly.
 
VeteranNetPresence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,735
vCash: 500
looks like if you play yakupov hard he will disappear. this doesn't bode well for his NHL career

VeteranNetPresence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 01:50 AM
  #505
Qrispy
Registered User
 
Qrispy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,328
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
I think it's fair to say Shalunov stood out all series long. Nichushkin and Kosov too, but one is too young and the other one hasn't found his finishing touch yet.
Nichushkin has impressed me, I will admit, but unfortunately the points aren't there.

Qrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 01:58 AM
  #506
Nash
Registered User
 
Nash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: North Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeteranNetPresence View Post
looks like if you play yakupov hard he will disappear. this doesn't bode well for his NHL career
I think some "intelligent" people said the same thing of Ovechkin and Malkin after the were hit into submission in Gold medal games.

Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 02:08 AM
  #507
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?
 
Sojourn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 25,468
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by teko74 View Post
How did Sissons look?
Very good. One of the best forwards out there.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 02:10 AM
  #508
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,499
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubs View Post
Damien Cox fail.

Cutris La la La Lazar.

Get this idiot off TV. His writing pisses me off enough.
He is an embarrassment.

Shame on Sportsnet.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 02:12 AM
  #509
Slay
Registered User
 
Slay's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Krasnoyarsk
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 1,427
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
I think some "intelligent" people said the same thing of Ovechkin and Malkin after the were hit into submission in Gold medal games.
Or Crosby in the Memorial Cup finals. "Intelligent" people don't understand what a significant difference in depth can lead to.

Slay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 02:13 AM
  #510
caley
Moderator
 
caley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 8,843
vCash: 500
My completely unscientific read on Yakupov is that he likely suffered some sort of injury in the first period when he got sandwiched and his skate went up and hit the glass, because he really wasn't on the ice very much after that. I mean, there were some long stretches where he wasn't on the ice.

BTW, Sportsnet coverage is awful. I understand Morgan Rielly is a good player, but the way they kept harping on him all night, the poor kid is gonna bust so bad if he isn't the next Brian Leetch. There were plays where he literally did nothing, and the announcers were so busy talking about how good he was, that they were neglecting the great play of some other players.

I really thought Hunter Shinkaruk was the best player in the game, taking the puck hard to the net, making great passes, hitting, coming back to help out. Then he scored that key first goal in the shoot-out that got the crowd out of their seats.

Also, who here is sick of that Shreddies commercial: "Honey, honey, you're so sweet, you know I love you head to feet!" I'm pretty sure it runs on an endless loop in hell. Good God!

caley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 02:14 AM
  #511
VeteranNetPresence
Disco Super Fly.
 
VeteranNetPresence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,735
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
I think some "intelligent" people said the same thing of Ovechkin and Malkin after the were hit into submission in Gold medal games.
compare the heights between the players. yakupov is a small forward if we're using NHL standards

VeteranNetPresence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 02:17 AM
  #512
Psychoil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,757
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeteranNetPresence View Post
compare the heights between the players. yakupov is a small forward if we're using NHL standards
lol easy there scout. Any one forward can get shut down by a team with good depth. In fact, 2 star forwards (Hint hint sedins) can get shut down but a good depth team.....say like the boston bruins.



Ohhh! what do u know, they did get shut down! Does that make either of them bad offensive players? Didnt think so. Take a seat

Psychoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 02:22 AM
  #513
maplehawk
HFB Partner
 
maplehawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: The Rink
Posts: 2,108
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
My completely unscientific read on Yakupov is that he likely suffered some sort of injury in the first period when he got sandwiched and his skate went up and hit the glass, because he really wasn't on the ice very much after that. I mean, there were some long stretches where he wasn't on the ice.

BTW, Sportsnet coverage is awful. I understand Morgan Rielly is a good player, but the way they kept harping on him all night, the poor kid is gonna bust so bad if he isn't the next Brian Leetch. There were plays where he literally did nothing, and the announcers were so busy talking about how good he was, that they were neglecting the great play of some other players.

I really thought Hunter Shinkaruk was the best player in the game, taking the puck hard to the net, making great passes, hitting, coming back to help out. Then he scored that key first goal in the shoot-out that got the crowd out of their seats.

Also, who here is sick of that Shreddies commercial: "Honey, honey, you're so sweet, you know I love you head to feet!" I'm pretty sure it runs on an endless loop in hell. Good God!
They pick a kid every game and do this. Seems to me they single out someone playing well in the first 10 minutes and use the rest of the game to pump his tires.

Game 1 it was Grigorenko, Game 2; MacKinnon, Game 3; Ritchie, Game 4; Wilson, Game 5; Rielly, Game 6; ???

maplehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 02:28 AM
  #514
Nash
Registered User
 
Nash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: North Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeteranNetPresence View Post
compare the heights between the players. yakupov is a small forward if we're using NHL standards
5'11" and 190 pounds is bigger than Crosby when he was drafted. He is an inch or two below average, but he is no St. Louis. Besides, Yakupov's game isn't based on overpowering players with size or strength. It's about speed and finesse, with a great arsenal of shots, including a fantastic one timer.

He seems to be lighting it up pretty good against men in the KHL, so where is your argument on that? Let me guess...KHL ice is a larger surface and the style is less physical.

Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 02:38 AM
  #515
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,499
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless Leaf View Post
Shinkaruk is much better than he is advertised. He displays a lot of grit and wasn't shy of going into the corners.
It was one game, against Russians. That is not how he looks most nights in the whl. He is a gifted player for sure, and he displayed a lot of heart tonight, but most times he winds up sliding around on his butt because he is rather easily pushed over and dispossessed. If he can work on his strength and balance he will be a complete player. He isnt there yet.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 02:39 AM
  #516
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,499
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheramone View Post
I think a bit of Yakupovs problem is the smaller rink, its kind of like me when i was in highschool everyone expected me to be very good but its a lot harder when the area to play in is a lot smaller, more bodies and sticks in the way. Kind of weird explanation but I can identify with the guy
He tied Stamkos ppg playing in a small rink. That has nothing to do with it. Just stop already. Its embarrassing.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 02:39 AM
  #517
Nash
Registered User
 
Nash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: North Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slay View Post
Or Crosby in the Memorial Cup finals. "Intelligent" people don't understand what a significant difference in depth can lead to.
Exactly. Look how many of Perry's London Knights have played in the NHL compared to Crosby's Oceanic teammates. Bolland, Girardi, Methot, Prust, Shremp, and Fritche all played a few NHL seasons. I think only Poulliot played any significant number of games from the team Crosby carried to the Memorial Cup. His line mate Dany Roussin who had 59 & 54 goals on his wing never played a single NHL game.

Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 02:46 AM
  #518
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,465
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Very good. One of the best forwards out there.
I disagree. He looked sluggish to say the least. He was behind on the breakouts and on more than one occasion when he had the puck, people were coasting trying to let him catch up

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 02:49 AM
  #519
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,499
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeteranNetPresence View Post
and they disappear in the playoffs, you know why? because they're soft and play a perimeter game
Good thing Yakupov isnt soft or afraid to go to the net.

He'll be ok.

The WHL played a very tight checking game and had some of the best dmen in the world back there tonight, and no shortage of physical forwards who gave the Russians no quarter.

How many times did Yakupov get the puck in a scoring position? The number of quality passes thrown his way could be counted on one hand. He cant do it all by himself. Even though he gets frustrated and tries on occasion. Dont worry about Yakupov. He will be filling Vancouver's net shortly.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 02:51 AM
  #520
Kesler2Kesler
Yup
 
Kesler2Kesler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 832
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeteranNetPresence View Post
looks like if you play yakupov hard he will disappear. this doesn't bode well for his NHL career
He honestly just looked uninspired to me. I'm pretty sure Yakupov is being played hard in the KHL, and I'm pretty sure that he was played hard in the OHL too.

Kesler2Kesler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 02:51 AM
  #521
Nash
Registered User
 
Nash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: North Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeteranNetPresence View Post
my argument is that the KHL is a 2nd/3rd rate league compared to the NHL.
No league is as good as the NHL, so they are all 2nd rate aren't they? The KHL is arguably the second best out there though and this year they have pretty much all the big name home grown talent playing there. Yakupov is still putting up impressive numbers as an 18 year old against men. Your argument against him is flawed.

Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 02:55 AM
  #522
VeteranNetPresence
Disco Super Fly.
 
VeteranNetPresence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,735
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Good thing Yakupov isnt soft or afraid to go to the net.

He'll be ok.

The WHL played a very tight checking game and had some of the best dmen in the world back there tonight, and no shortage of physical forwards who gave the Russians no quarter.

How many times did Yakupov get the puck in a scoring position? The number of quality passes thrown his way could be counted on one hand. He cant do it all by himself. Even though he gets frustrated and tries on occasion. Dont worry about Yakupov. He will be filling Vancouver's net shortly.
he got shut down by a team that had pretty much no experience playing together. to think that the squad he played against tonight is better than the calibre he would play on any given night in the NHL is just wrong

VeteranNetPresence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 03:13 AM
  #523
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,499
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeteranNetPresence View Post
any my point is that he will be playing against a lot tougher competition than he did tonight on a nightly basis
With much better teammates to support him and get him the puck in scoring position.

These are elite players he is playing against tonight. Murray#2, Siemens#12, Reinhart#4, Rielly#5, Dumba#7, Pulock-projected top ten pick in a deep draft.

These arent scrubs. They are the very best of his peers. Likely much better than a Strudwick or O'Brien.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 03:23 AM
  #524
malkinfan
Registered User
 
malkinfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Canada
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 3,211
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
Okay but Yak gets good ice time on a middle ground to poor KHL team on the big ice... Why is he the benchmark for Russian hockey in North America all of a sudden...
I think we've established this, he is no where near the game breaker that zhenya Kuznetsov, or Vlad Tarasenko is, he has skills but not in a way to break the game open like these guys have the ability to. If you think otherwise, please prove it with meaningfull stats.

malkinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 03:31 AM
  #525
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,465
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by malkinfan View Post
Okay but Yak gets good ice time on a middle ground to poor KHL team on the big ice... Why is he the benchmark for Russian hockey in North America all of a sudden...
I think we've established this, he is no where near the game breaker that zhenya Kuznetsov, or Vlad Tarasenko is, he has skills but not in a way to break the game open like these guys have the ability to. If you think otherwise, please prove it with meaningfull stats.
No. He gets quite poor icetime over there actually. You want stats, look at their production at the same age. Yak is miles ahead

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:20 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.