HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stephen Weiss, UFA after 2012-13, says will not negotiate new contract w/ #FlaPanther

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-14-2012, 12:12 AM
  #26
pb1300
BLEED RED
 
pb1300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Aiyio, Greece
Country: Greece
Posts: 10,799
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
The rest of the quotes are in hte OP. Anyone who would wait is being naive. Just like Garrison left, Weiss will leave too.
What else does your crystal ball reveal? Weiss isnt Garrison. The only thing the two had in common was that they were both in the final year of their deal. If the guy wanted to leave so bad, he would have been traded along with Horton back when Tallon arrived. Having spoken to Weiss, and even his mother, multiple times, he is the last player that I see going against his word. He loves playing in South Florida, loves the team, and I expect him to finish his career as a Panther. Well, I guess Im just being naive

pb1300 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 06:00 AM
  #27
Tuco
Registered User
 
Tuco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,263
vCash: 500
To those who think this means nothing:

Why does Weiss come out and say this now?

And why does he "understands the ramifications" and "if it's time to move on then so be it", if he is so determined to stay? It's up to him to sign, provided that the team offers something, which I presume they will.

Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 10:06 AM
  #28
Pantherfan12
Registered User
 
Pantherfan12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sunrise,Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 1,781
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
To those who think this means nothing:

Why does Weiss come out and say this now?

And why does he "understands the ramifications" and "if it's time to move on then so be it", if he is so determined to stay? It's up to him to sign, provided that the team offers something, which I presume they will.
Weiss probably said this now because GR and other media outlets found him while practicing and asked him about this subject. I think his comment "If it's time to move on,then so be it" probably is in regards to your presumption of the team offering him a new contract. What happens if they don't? Then it'll be time to move on... Again, much like you I am assuming Tallon will offer Weiss a new contract, and I am sure he and Weiss will hammer out a new deal. I am not reading muc into it,especially since GR posted it and made it seem like Weiss was surely gone when it doesn't sound that way at all.

Pantherfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 10:25 AM
  #29
RainingRats
Registered User
 
RainingRats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 10,387
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
What else does your crystal ball reveal? Weiss isnt Garrison. The only thing the two had in common was that they were both in the final year of their deal. If the guy wanted to leave so bad, he would have been traded along with Horton back when Tallon arrived. Having spoken to Weiss, and even his mother, multiple times, he is the last player that I see going against his word. He loves playing in South Florida, loves the team, and I expect him to finish his career as a Panther. Well, I guess Im just being naive
No, they have a lot in common. Both were underpaid compared to performance and coming off top years in an almost always weak free agent market. They're also Canadian boys with rumors that they'd like to go back to their hometown.

This is a typical public relations move by a player headed towards free agency. Assuming the season starts, he'll be willing to risk injury instead of signing an extension mid season which could hurt his chances at a big pay day if he were to get injured. It's funny, because he mentioned about not playing overseas because of this but he'll wait it out as a Panther.

Nobody cares what your thoughts are on a conversation with Weiss and his mother, god knows when. You're one of the hundreds of fans he puts on a good face to. Weiss is a consummate professional who has never once complained and has played here for a very long time on a losing team. You think he's going to tell some random Panther fan his career aspirations? LOL. If you think he's going to wait for the season to be over so there are no "contract distractions", especially with a shortened season, then you are naive. We've seen this story play out all too often on this team and around the league.

The guy will get paid big time. He's the perfect #2 center. He can even slot in as a 1b guy. Burke will overpay significantly for him. Money talks.


Last edited by RainingRats: 11-14-2012 at 10:33 AM.
RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 12:28 PM
  #30
Tuco
Registered User
 
Tuco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherfan12 View Post
Weiss probably said this now because GR and other media outlets found him while practicing and asked him about this subject. I think his comment "If it's time to move on,then so be it" probably is in regards to your presumption of the team offering him a new contract. What happens if they don't? Then it'll be time to move on... Again, much like you I am assuming Tallon will offer Weiss a new contract, and I am sure he and Weiss will hammer out a new deal. I am not reading muc into it,especially since GR posted it and made it seem like Weiss was surely gone when it doesn't sound that way at all.
I don't think this automatically means Weiss is gone at all, but it's not positive for sure.

Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 02:54 PM
  #31
Dread Clawz
fmrly MarkstromRules
 
Dread Clawz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 16,271
vCash: 500
I think we just have to trust Tallon on this one. He knows what's really going on more than anyone else. He doesn't seem at all concerned that Weiss will leave. I think he sees Weiss as an integral piece of the team moving forward and he'll pay him accordingly. As opposed to Garrison, who was very much an unknown after only one big year.

Weiss is not Bouw or Garrison. Bouw was indecisive since Day 1 and Garrison wasn't really much better. If Weiss wanted to leave, he would have left when Tallon offered it to him. Why would he leave now? I don't see any teams massively overpaying for Weiss like in the form of 6+M, so we should be able to keep him. If Weiss really is seeking something ridiculous, which we wouldn't be able to afford, then I'm sure Tallon will trade him at the deadline. But I think they both see eye to eye on what his next contract will be.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 02:57 PM
  #32
Pantherfan12
Registered User
 
Pantherfan12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sunrise,Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 1,781
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
No, they have a lot in common. Both were underpaid compared to performance and coming off top years in an almost always weak free agent market. They're also Canadian boys with rumors that they'd like to go back to their hometown.

This is a typical public relations move by a player headed towards free agency. Assuming the season starts, he'll be willing to risk injury instead of signing an extension mid season which could hurt his chances at a big pay day if he were to get injured. It's funny, because he mentioned about not playing overseas because of this but he'll wait it out as a Panther.

Nobody cares what your thoughts are on a conversation with Weiss and his mother, god knows when. You're one of the hundreds of fans he puts on a good face to. Weiss is a consummate professional who has never once complained and has played here for a very long time on a losing team. You think he's going to tell some random Panther fan his career aspirations? LOL. If you think he's going to wait for the season to be over so there are no "contract distractions", especially with a shortened season, then you are naive. We've seen this story play out all too often on this team and around the league.

The guy will get paid big time. He's the perfect #2 center. He can even slot in as a 1b guy. Burke will overpay significantly for him. Money talks.
Garrison wasn't underpaid. He had one extremely good season, not that he was a bad player because he wasn't, but I don't think he was worth the money he got in Van. I've also never heard any rumors of Weiss wanting to go home. Weiss could've also said one thing, but *if/when* the CBA is agreed and we have hockey,he could very well sign a contract regardless. I think people are too quick to hit the panic button with our team. I know what the past was like,and how our players left the team, but I just don't see Weiss following in Bouwmeester's footsteps. Other than wanting to "go home" why else would Weiss want to go to TO? When did they become the next runners up for the Cup? He has a better chance of success here in Fla, then in TO. (using TO because that team was mentioned) I just don't see Weiss jumping ship. I can't see him going through all the bad years and being loyal,to turn around when we finally have a competitive team and leaving.

Pantherfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 03:00 PM
  #33
harv3317
Registered User
 
harv3317's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,302
vCash: 500
btw, garrison also said his first choice was to stay a panther. how'd that work out? almost every player going into ufa says the same thing. in most cases bottom line is salary and then chances of winning a cup. where do we stand on both accounts?

harv3317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 03:08 PM
  #34
Dread Clawz
fmrly MarkstromRules
 
Dread Clawz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 16,271
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by harv3317 View Post
btw, garrison also said his first choice was to stay a panther. how'd that work out? almost every player going into ufa says the same thing. in most cases bottom line is salary and then chances of winning a cup. where do we stand on both accounts?
Garrison said that like twice and only for a couple months. He was just being nice. He obviously wanted to go to Vancouver, and took a hometown discount to go there. He could have gotten more than Wideman if he wanted to from Detroit or somebody else. Weiss has been saying he wants to be here for years, and he could have left if he wanted to two years ago when Tallon offered it to him. As long as we don't lowball him, which I doubt we will, I'd think we have a great chance at re-signing him. Sorry I just don't see anyone offering Weiss 6.5M or anything crazy like that, that would be downright stupid for a No.2 center especially because the cap is going to go down in the next CBA.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 04:14 PM
  #35
Dr Beinfest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Orlando, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,030
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
Almost everyone says this and then a lot go after the money.
And how many of them follow that statement saying they will retired a Florida Panther?

Come on, this is Stephen Weiss we're talking about.

He wants to be here. He's basically just playing an NHLPA card right now. Pay me what I'm worth, please.

Dr Beinfest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 04:38 PM
  #36
PanthersHockey1
Bond.
 
PanthersHockey1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: UF & Boca Raton
Country: United States
Posts: 5,687
vCash: 500
Here's flalkov new post speaking to weiss today says he wants to stay a panther. Talk is cheap.

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports...with-team.html

PanthersHockey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 05:10 PM
  #37
Pantherfan12
Registered User
 
Pantherfan12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sunrise,Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 1,781
vCash: 500
How many Panthers made the statement that want to retire a Panther, but then left in Free agency? Bo? He clearly didn't want to be here. No surprise he left. Garrison? While he said he loved it here, again he made it no secret he wanted to return home to Van. He left as well. I can't remember anyone else who was a free agent, who left in UFA but stated they wanted to remain a Panther.

I guess only time will tell, but I am very optimistic that Weiss gets resigned. I would love to see him resigned, then Tallon go and bring in Getzlaf from Ana.

Pantherfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 02:49 AM
  #38
King Panther
ElGrandeDbagSupreme
 
King Panther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Fullerton, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,054
vCash: 500
the sky is falling, the sky is falling


if he signs, great

if he leaves, he will be replaced by a prospect or a free agent. his days of being the entire team are coming to an end if theyre not over already. its time to stop placing so much emphasis on a 2nd liner

King Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 08:10 AM
  #39
jakethesnake23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sydney, OZ
Country: Australia
Posts: 655
vCash: 500
This situation isnt a matter of "trusting Tallon". He has nothing to do with Weiss' decision. I'm sure he will make a fair offer, but he cant make Weiss stay.

The sooner everyone realizes it the better: with these comments, Weiss is signaling that he WILL TEST FREE AGENCY. 100% GUARANTEE.

If he wanted to be a Panther for life, then he would be.

He will see how much money he can make on July 1st.

Now, this doesnt mean that the Panthers won't eventually sign him, but it does mean he will be a FA.

I can remember early in the season last year that no one wanted to accept the reality that Garrison would go to FA, and gave every reason under the sun why he wouldnt. Well, it did, and it's gonna happen again.

jakethesnake23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 09:25 AM
  #40
Pantherfan12
Registered User
 
Pantherfan12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sunrise,Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 1,781
vCash: 500
No one thought Garrison was going to resign. Plenty of rumors going around that Garrison wanted to go back to Van, where he's from. Garrison never stated he wanted to retire a Panther. Weiss has never stated he wanted to go back to TO, where he's from. I can't remember another Panther who became a free agent, but who has stated they want to retire a Panther and then left. Weiss is better than Garrison. Weiss has been our backbone for numerous years and if you don't believe that, then go back to all those games where Weiss was out and our team fell apart. He isn't signaling anything, he's merely stating that in the past contract negotiations got in the way of concentrating on the game and he doesn't want that to happen again. His comments didn't come across as something made up or a coverup for something else, they seemed straight forward and to the point.

I don't think it's time to hit the panic button because I think Weiss resigns, much like Versteeg did when people thought he was going to leave because of arbitration issues.

Pantherfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 12:46 PM
  #41
RainingRats
Registered User
 
RainingRats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 10,387
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherfan12 View Post
No one thought Garrison was going to resign. Plenty of rumors going around that Garrison wanted to go back to Van, where he's from. Garrison never stated he wanted to retire a Panther. Weiss has never stated he wanted to go back to TO, where he's from. I can't remember another Panther who became a free agent, but who has stated they want to retire a Panther and then left. Weiss is better than Garrison. Weiss has been our backbone for numerous years and if you don't believe that, then go back to all those games where Weiss was out and our team fell apart. He isn't signaling anything, he's merely stating that in the past contract negotiations got in the way of concentrating on the game and he doesn't want that to happen again. His comments didn't come across as something made up or a coverup for something else, they seemed straight forward and to the point.

I don't think it's time to hit the panic button because I think Weiss resigns, much like Versteeg did when people thought he was going to leave because of arbitration issues.
edit: misread

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 06:58 PM
  #42
5 Hole
Registered User
 
5 Hole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: The 'No..
Country: United States
Posts: 176
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Panther View Post
the sky is falling, the sky is falling


if he signs, great

if he leaves, he will be replaced by a prospect or a free agent. his days of being the entire team are coming to an end if theyre not over already. its time to stop placing so much emphasis on a 2nd liner
^
This.

If he leaves it's fine with me.. He was the best center on a terrible team for years. That's like winning a gold in the special olympics - not that impressive.

5 Hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 09:05 PM
  #43
FlaPnthrsPunk
Our Time Will Come
 
FlaPnthrsPunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Coconut Creek, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 3,678
vCash: 500
Either way, this is at least giving us something else to talk about. It feels good to think about the Panthers future again... whenever they come back.

FlaPnthrsPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 07:39 PM
  #44
PBPantherfan
Here we go again
 
PBPantherfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Lake Worth, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 2,415
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherfan12 View Post
No one thought Garrison was going to resign. Plenty of rumors going around that Garrison wanted to go back to Van, where he's from. Garrison never stated he wanted to retire a Panther. Weiss has never stated he wanted to go back to TO, where he's from. I can't remember another Panther who became a free agent, but who has stated they want to retire a Panther and then left. Weiss is better than Garrison. Weiss has been our backbone for numerous years and if you don't believe that, then go back to all those games where Weiss was out and our team fell apart. He isn't signaling anything, he's merely stating that in the past contract negotiations got in the way of concentrating on the game and he doesn't want that to happen again. His comments didn't come across as something made up or a coverup for something else, they seemed straight forward and to the point.

I don't think it's time to hit the panic button because I think Weiss resigns, much like Versteeg did when people thought he was going to leave because of arbitration issues.
Wow must be really hard concentrating on hockey with an @ 5 Million dollar contract for 4-6 years over your head. The intestinal fortitude that takes is the stuff of legends.

PBPantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 08:20 PM
  #45
jakethesnake23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sydney, OZ
Country: Australia
Posts: 655
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherfan12 View Post
No one thought Garrison was going to resign.
That is simply not true. You must have selective memory.

jakethesnake23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 10:06 AM
  #46
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 27,174
vCash: 500
Weiss is the least if my concerns, he knows how far the team has come, he knows what he has here, if he chooses to walk away, so be it. I love the guy, hope he stays, but there's no ill will from me if he decides move on after all he's given here.

__________________
So you're saying there's a chance!
Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 11:29 AM
  #47
gizmo12688
Registered User
 
gizmo12688's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 6,077
vCash: 500
Maybe he'll stay if we finally name him Captain, lol.

gizmo12688 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 12:25 PM
  #48
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie
 
Beezer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Orlando, Florida
Country: Brazil
Posts: 6,498
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag925 View Post
Weiss gonna get paaaaaaaaid by his hometown Maple Leafs.
Why, does he have Maple Leafs stock he's selling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gripper View Post
Completely misleading thread title, he doesn't want to talk contracts until the summer it expires, which leaves over 2 months to talk contracts, he just doesn't want to do it during the season.
Yep. Some people just want to get some reaction out of nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherfan12 View Post
I feel GR and this whole situation is being blown way out of proportion. Weiss isn't going anywhere, unless Tallon doesn't resign him. He didn't seem like he was whining, or unsure of his future. He seemed very sure that he wants to retire a Panther and doesn't want contract talks looming over head. This isn't Bo, where he never wanted to be here but screwed the Panthers by his indecisiveness. Weiss is very loyal to his team, I am sure he's the next Capt. of the Panthers and I see him being resigned. I'm disappointed in GR though. Making an article about this and making it seem like Weiss wanted out..
Couldn't have said it better myself. Completely agree word for word!

Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 05:29 PM
  #49
florida
Registered User
 
florida's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Broward County
Country: United States
Posts: 78
vCash: 500
I wouldn't mind overpaying a bit just to keep him around because of his loyalty if we DO get a chance to negotiate. WIth that said, what do you guys think would be fair. Steeg got 4.4 so maybe 4.5 for Weiss?

florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 07:43 PM
  #50
Erick
Registered User
 
Erick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Broward, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 12,255
vCash: 500
Weiss is way more valuable than Versteeg so ~5. If we're using that as a comparison. Either way, ~5 seems good for our 1st line C/very good 2nd line C on any team. If we don't give it to him, some other team definitely will.

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:37 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.